Underrated/Overrated Dramas

Guest trulime

Guest ripgal

first one that popped into my head...

Stairway to Heaven

definitely overrated! only the kid scenes were good.

after that...it was pretty much annoying.

the only reason why it was good or "up there" was because they basically took all the good parts from all the other big hit dramas. besides that, they stuck a KwonSangWoo ..in which I'm not big of a fan of...in the drama and ppl "think" itz good.

but i judge a drama by the storyline and chemistry between the characters..not the actors or actress in it.

hahhahaa.. i love the way u elaborated how STH's overrated..

i kinda agree that it was a bit overrated (not as in TV ratings.. but juz IMO).. i had high hopes cos KSW was in it.. n yea..obviously im a BIG FAN of his.. but i didn't like it. i disliked the story and KSW's character. the only thing i liked about it was yea.. KSW's acting. basically i finished it 4 the sake of KSW being in it.. :P

but yea.. besides the kid scenes and the last few eps.. the middle was a bit ' not my taste'..

but it's still my opinion.. i know there are lots of STH lovers here..^_^

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest KimSamSoon's craziie fan

Overrated - Full House

I watched it wout knowing any background regarding it - neutral party. Yes, it was funny at some parts, but i did not enjoy it... i actually grimace at certain parts coz i find the leads' acting quite fake. (IMHO)

The last part where they sat by the pier... the way his arm was around here... not natural at all.

NOT overrated - MNIKSS

I also watched this as a neutral party.

After the first 2 episodes, I liked it so much (despite horrendous dubbing and so-so translation work), i started surfing the web to find out more abt it!

Ended up d/ling all the rest of the episodes so i can finish it wout waiting for the local channel every week.

I'm not really into K-dramas, I prefer jdoramas. BUT so far, only DaeJangGeum and MNIKSS made me RE_WATCH the episodes. the former is rich in Korean history, i learnt a lot. the latter appeals to me, even though i'm married with 2 kids. i also know of several other moms like me (in sg :P ) who drool over HyunBin (and making all the hubbies jealous meantime!).

JMHO :D

p.s. imagine if i knew Korean and can understand ALL the wit that's in MNIKSS!

Yup! I agree with you. In Full House, Bi and SHK dun have anything except bickering everyday. Bi is a famous actor, he should be bz w/ his film and projects, but his major job is watching SHK cleanning the house. :blink:

Guest ripgal

Yup! I agree with you. In Full House, Bi and SHK dun have anything except bickering everyday. Bi is a famous actor, he should be bz w/ his film and projects, but his major job is watching SHK cleanning the house. :blink:

hahahhahahhahaaa... altho i loved FH i couldn't help but laugh at ur last comment there.. when i think about it, yeah..it's quite true. well but it's adapted frm a manhwa.. so..hehe...

Guest Steph*

Yeah I thought A Love To Kill was a bit overrated..I couldn't even get past the 1st ep.

It was that boring and I had high expectations cause of BI.

Hmm I'm planning to watch Delightful Girl Choon Hyang soon.

Oh yeah and Love Story In Harvard was overrated to me..

I don't even know why I finished it.

Guest sweetorange

I think the drama, My sister in law is 19 was really underrated. I thought it was a really cute and fun, yet heartwarming drama. it was well acted too! :)

hsn5.jpg

also, has anyone seen Oh! Pil Seung Bong Soon Young? That was a great drama too with a great cast.

Guest windchimes

Full house is the most overrated. I'm really curious why sooo many people love it. I skipped about 6 episodes because the drama just cant move on.

Guest anoano

MOST OVERRATED KOREAN SERIES: "FULLHOUSE"

honestly, i didnt find the story that outstanding.

the only reason i know of why a lot of people

watched it was because of Bi...saying like

he's hot, etc...

there are lots of UNDERRATED KOREAN SERIES

but i guess those HIGHLY-COMMERCIALIZED

ONES get the most attention which is kinda

sad... B)

i certainly don't think Choon-Hyang and Fashion 70's were underrated... both shows had decent viewership ratings in Korea, i believe... and both were somewhat popular on soompi as well.

i somewhat agree w/ the list of overrated dramas, although i don't really like to use that word. while i enjoyed Kim Sam Soon, i definitely do not think it's one of the greatest dramas ever... i've watched it 3 times now, and while there are a lot of funny scenes w/ Kim Sun Ah and Hyun Bin, i couldn't stand how cheesy some of the dialogue was, especially the ones between Ryeo Won and Daniel Henney. they're not the best actors, imo...

others to add: Stairway to Heaven, Something Happened in Bali, kinda agree with others about Full House (best thing about it was Bi and SHK, i guess)

Guest critic

I agree with most of your picks Hanaxkim, but I have to strongly disagree with you about My Name is Kim Sam Soon being overrated. It's got to be one of the most revolutionary dramas ever. A chubby, outspoken and honest woman getting the guy? C'mon... Not to mention how freaking hilarious it was! And even if the plotline was the same old (which it wasn't), you've gotta appreciate it for shattering the standards of how women should look and confronting the fixed thinking that only skinny, pretty perfect girls get the guys. I'm a hopeless romantic and extremely idealistic and I like watching pretty, skinny and innocent girls get the handsome, charismatic, sometimes rich, sometimes poor guys, but once in a while it's nice to see something DIFFERENT.

Personally, MNIKSS in all its glory, deserved it all. And I'm not just saying that because I'm a Hyun Bin fan. It was different... And it was good. What's so refreshing is that it took risks. Risks that didn't make you feel too uncomforatble, but one that was new. And I'm trying to be kinda objective here. For the record, MNIKSS isn't my favorite drama. It's actually the traditional cliched, boy meets girl, there's some conflict, they overcome the conflict and they live happily ever after-- you know the drill, but even I have to admit that it deserved all the fame and popularity (but of course, this is just an opinion, i don't mean to offend or attack anyone else's opinion)

What's overrated is freaking Winter Sonata. It dragged like none other... I can't believe I wasted... what? some 24 hours of my life watching that. I feel robbed. I want my 24 hours back. That drama was hyped up waaaay too much. It wasn't bad, it just recieved too much undeserved praise.

Guest coco fong

I find "Delightful Girl Choon Hyang soon" and "Love Story In Harvard" are overrated.

The shows start to get so boring that I can't even finish half of it.

I find "Full House" is not over rated. It is very funny and the story very cute.

There is a lot of chemistry between the leads.

This is the only Korean drama my hubby can stand watching.

Guest Jeffversion2

Underrated:

Fashion 70s: Plot was amazing, I've never seen that type of plot before. It was sad yet somewhat happy at the same time. Gunfight in it too...amazing acting by all actors/actresses.

Bad Wife: I loved how this drama brought out family values and did not focus on people dying but more like how much people love their families. Enjoyed Soo-han's and Song-yi's facial expressions throughout the drama; also made me addicted to saying "Pasha!" for everything.

Goodbye to Sadness: I enjoyed this drama because it showed how close families are and how much families care about each other. The Han Brothers were entertaining, and everyone in it was amazing.

Sad Sonata: Either you liked it or you hated it, this drama was sad and made me cry multiple times. The acting in it wasn't so great, but it was one of the most beautifly crafted pieces of work in a long time.

Overrated

Winter Sonata: I found it annoying, found Cho Ji Woo annoying and found Bae Yong Jun or whatever boring. Not enough emotion in it...didn't FEEL the love between CJW and BYJ the entire time.

About "Full House" being overrated, alot of peoples say that but

when I first watched Full House I didnt know who Bi or SHG were

and I enjoyed it very much. Just dont look at the actor/actress and

just enjoy the series and u'll find out its actually pretty good.

I'll list some series which ppls havnt listed in underrated yet:

Super Rookie - Eric won an award for this one

Oh! Pil Seung

I'm Sorry! I Love you

Ruler of your own world

Guest donser

donser: =O you actually rewatched Dae Jang Guem?

lmao x) i would rewatch the ferst 20 episodes, then skip to the part where she came back from Jeju to the palace and meets all her frends again and then skip to where all the evil ppl get caught. muahaha.

of coz not ALL the episodes!! heheh.... but i must say most of 'em.... coz i happened to be on maternity leave when it was screened :D

oh yes, wanted to add to the Overated list...

Definitely Winter Sonata.... geeez.... :P

Guest lil.vi3t.cupid_<3

MOST OVERRATED KOREAN SERIES: "FULLHOUSE"

honestly, i didnt find the story that outstanding.

the only reason i know of why a lot of people

watched it was because of Bi...saying like

he's hot, etc...

there are lots of UNDERRATED KOREAN SERIES

but i guess those HIGHLY-COMMERCIALIZED

ONES get the most attention which is kinda

sad... B)

:) agreed. Alot of my friends are hyped up about FH, but there are alot of other dramas out there. But yeah just my though =)

Guest ~LovelyGirl~

Overrated Drama

Full House - The drama was nice. It was okay but it wasnt that much of a good story. The story/plot wasnt that much exciting. There was too much bickering that it was already irritating to watch. A lot of people loved this drama so much but I just can't see why except for the facts that bi and shk are the main stars. But that's just my opinion. Dont get me wrong, I liked the drama but it was too overrated. :)

Underrated Drama

Love Letter - I loved this drama. The cast was good. They all acted very well especially Su Ae. The story was very good. It's a very uniqued drama. A drama full of tears. Too bad it wasnt that popular in Korea.

Sassy Girl Chun Yang - ?! I'm not that sure if it's underrated in korea but few people talk about this drama. Anyways I think the drama was really good. As well as the cast. It had a good plot. The show was very funny.

NOT OVERRATED

MNIKSS - I dont think it was overrated. I mean the story was very realistic. Everyone can related to each character. And the cast was very good. They all acted very well. The chemistry between KSA and HB(SS and Samshik) was awesome :wub: The story was very meaningful and it taught many values. I cant see why many people think it's way overrated.

This is only my opinion. No fighting please. PEACE :)

FH being overrated, i don't think it is overrated. When I watched it I didn't even know who Bi was and I didn't even like him after watching the series he looked dorky. FH is funny, nobody had leukemia, nobody had amnesia that's why people watched. The same with MNIKSS - the story is different from the run of the mill korean drama series. I guess people would always look differently at "dramas" that have a touch of comedy vs. pure drama tear-jerkers

Guest just jess

"Delightful Girl Choonyang" wasnt underrated, didnt it get over 30% and both Han Chae Young and Jae Hee got famous off of it... i mean it didnt get international love and fame, but i thought it was pretty popular.

"Winter Sonata" was overrated. i seriously hated this drama, i dont like Bae Yong Jun or Choi Ji Woo.

"Stairway to Heaven" was also too typical Choi Ji woo and the plot was over used too many times.

"Love story in Harvard" the plot was lame to me, i stopped watching it half way, i finished it recently bc my mom was watching it and when i was bored i would watch some of the vids with her... and the acting was very bad, good chemistry tho...

i think "My name is Kim Sam Soon" was such a great drama bc the female lead was very realistic and believable. she was actually overweight, old, not pretty, and not feminine in the typical korean way... she actually looked the part. its pretty hard to picture girls like Song Hae Kyo or Lee Da Hae playing roles where they are supposed to be "poor, loser girls who are just optimistic and guys dont like them" or whatever, very unbelievable. and not to mention it was HILARIOUS!

underrated for me would have to be "Resurrection", thats all i can think of for now.

Guest suejinners

i know everyone will jump me for this but i seriously think Goong is overrated.

its just OKAY. not the best. yoon eun hye's acting isn't that great (shes okay for a shin in) and it doesn't improve that much throughout the episodes either... to me.

full house was good but i think it was slightly overrated because of BI.

fashion 70's was popular but still a bit underrated.

same with Super Rookie.

a lot of you are bringing up some old dramas. but if you watched itback then... you would certainly view it differently. of course if you watch it several years later you won't be affected as they way the viewers back then were affected.... cause back then they didn't have that type of storyline...

Archived