Underrated/Overrated Dramas

Guest trulime

Guest Appolpai

stairway to heaven 's overrated

Appolpai - i agree w/ you even though i'm a fan of my girl, and enjoyed it... it kinda dragged at the end... i wanted some more originality...i have to say it's overrated. perhaps, i've been watching too many korean romantic comedies...

i think delightful girl choon hyang's underrated

and i do like hello god, even though i've only watched one ep. but it good!! i can't believe there aren't many ppl talking about it.

Hm, I dunno, to me it seems like Korean romantic comedies lack originality. But sometimes a little bit of cliche is okay. Honestly, though, I'm tired of the whole girl falls in love with jerk plot (or something to that extent). =x Actually, I'm tired of romance. XD;

And a lot of the dramas I've watched DRAG OUT. I really hate that. I think My Girl had the potential to be a great drama if they did it in like, 8 episodes, haha. The same goes with Full House. I really liked it when I first watched it, but when I was rewatching it, I realized how slow it moved and it got boring rewatching it. -_-;

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i thought Bu Hwal (Reserrection) was underrated.. it didn't have the same romantic feel but it was a good change. it was interesting and suspensful plus it was cute w/ all the flashbacks ^^

Guest s3rene

Underrated: Guardian Angel, Sunshine of Love, All In, Sangdoo Let's Go to School, and Atumn Tale.

Overrated: Winter Sonata, Full House, Stairway to Heaven, and Goong.

Guest zuany

To me, the over-rated drama is Goong ....

It absolutely has a good plot but the casts' acting are...bleh...

I lost my interests of the Drama after trying to swallow down the first 4 eps ( I kinda zipped through them actually)...

Another one is "Full House", I just can't have any feeling for that drama >_<...

Umh.... I think "Lovers in Paris" was under-rated. It's got good plot, good casts..ect... I totally enjoyed this drama!

Guest deeism

i think 'dae jang guem' (jewel in the palace.. i think that was the name) was a little overrated. it wasnt bad or anything.. i liked it.. but it was kind of draggy with the many many episodes and there was a lot of repeats of scenes and stuff...

thats the only one thats overrated on my mind right now...

i love goong <3 =b

Guest Fleur

Just a disclaimer before I state the dramas, to me overrated means many people have great comments for that drama but I didn't enjoy it. Underrated means it doesn't seem to receive as great a response, but I think it's a good drama. Like many of you said, these are pretty objective, so here's MY humble opinion.

Overrated...

1) Firebird (Bool Sae)

2) Full House

Underrated...

1) A Good Person

i agree w Fleur's "to me overrated means many people have great comments for that drama but I didn't enjoy it. Underrated means it doesn't seem to receive as great a response, but I think it's a good drama"

I liked Full Hse n My Gal....gave me a good laugh.....i tink Prince's 1st Love was a bit underrated...i know pple found CTH very annoying but he juz made me laugh hard in the show.....Phoenix was nice cos it reflects sumtin abt life......Fashion 70s was great, all that family love made me very touched...Green Rose was sometin out of the norm so i liked the suspense......

Lovers in Paris, Love Story in Harvard, Lovers in Prague...was greatly recommended by pple but i gave up all 3 halfway...........

Goong- quite ok but the 1st half was rather boring....

A Love To Kill- so draggy..........

Resurrection- many said it was very good but i tink the plot was similar to Green Rose n i enjoyed that better......Uhm Tae Woong's acting was weird.......he looked so cartoon......

I cant say under or over rated...these r juz mi tots.................... :phew:

Guest badhairday

In my opinion, the most overrated series of all time has to be Autumn Tale. I've heard so many fabulous things about it and it was one of the biggest disappointment for me. Mind you, it was my first korean series. I thought the series dragged and I was so annoyed with the fact that they say "i'm sorry" millions of time. If it weren't for the eye candy, I don't think many people would have given it the time of day. I didn't watch another korean series for a year after that until I discovered My Love Patzzi, which I thoroghly enjoyed.

Underrated dramas: My love patzzi and gumiho

Guest trulime

This is just your opinion of good vs bad series. Under vs over does not determine the quality of the series.

no need to criticizeee. like i said, i liked some of the dramas in the MY overrated list.. i just think it got too much attention for a drama that I CONSIDER started to drag at the end or had no creativity. and some of the people in my overrated list are my favs: like bi, shiminah, joojihoon, etc.

and thanks to all who replied :) interesting ot read other's opinions.

i agree w Fleur's "to me overrated means many people have great comments for that drama but I didn't enjoy it. Underrated means it doesn't seem to receive as great a response, but I think it's a good drama"

exactly :)

Guest suejinners

To me, the over-rated drama is Goong ....

It absolutely has a good plot but the casts' acting are...bleh...

I lost my interests of the Drama after trying to swallow down the first 4 eps ( I kinda zipped through them actually)...

Another one is "Full House", I just can't have any feeling for that drama >_<...

Umh.... I think "Lovers in Paris" was under-rated. It's got good plot, good casts..ect... I totally enjoyed this drama!

Yeah Goong is kind of overrated. its really slowpaced. the storyline is good though. the acting is not that great.

^i agree also

Guest Queenie<3

Overrated

A Love to Kill maybe I think this because of the fact that I had to watch it with really bad subtitles so by the end I really didnt know what was going to happen and I was like wtf?

Goong - Good plot, pretty people, and kinda boring but then again I havent watched all the available eps. I think its because their living in a palace so everyone has to speak slow and respectfully. But the fact that sooo many people are obessed with it makes me want to stay away from it.

Guest clride

I don't think Kim Sam Soon was overrated.

As for the underrated ones, I'd say:

1) Beautiful Days

2) Biscuit and Star Candy

3) All In

Guest makemyday

overrated.. i'd say

full house

autumn tale (this IMO is the MOST overrated drama in all of life... ok i'm going overboard)

underrated..

i'd say

resurrection

Guest ielle_1216

For my own view, the underrated drama(here in soompi) is Delightful Girl Choon Hyang. It was the nicest drama I ever watched. I love it very much.......

And for the overrated drama, it's Full House..... I like it the first time i watched it but I really get so bored when I rewatched it again...... and also my girl, it's a slow-paced drama.....

it's my own opinion......

Guest starryeyedwonder

Overrated= definitely Stairway to Heaven.. i liked it in the beginning..but then it started to get ridiculous in my opinion, draggy, and overly repeated. I'm not sure if this went on for the rest of the drama.. but for the ones that i saw before i just stopped, the same thing happened over and over.. CJW and the other guy besides KSW would have a "moment" and KSW would always be watching somewhere off in the distance.. and then , cue the music -_- it probably didn't happen for that long, or i hope not, but the repetitiveness caused me to discontinue >.>

Full House.. i actually watched all of this drama and it was okay.. but i have a feeling that the reason why it was so popular wasn't because of the drama itself, but because of the Bi + SHK pairing.

Underrated: Definitely Resurrection. Such a beautifully acted cast, and good enough storyline.. and i love the OST too.. but it wasn't as popular as i expected it to be..

These are only my opinions.. i would appreciate it if you respected them, because i respect everyone else's views =)

Guest conduongmuathu

Hopefully this hasn't been posted, at least not recently :) but yeah, if it has, it's always fun to share.

MINE:

UNDERRATED

1. Hello, God! 안녕하세요 하느님! - Yoo Gun, Kim Ock Bin, Lee Jong Hyuk

200601061602431110_1.jpg

2. Fashion 70's - Kim Min Jung, Lee Yeo Won, Joo Jin Mo, Chung Jung Myun

fashion.gif

3. Biscuit (I think) and Star Candy 건빵선생과 별사탕 - Gong Yuu, Gong Hyo Jin, Choi Yuhjin, Jang Hee Jin, and moreee.

jiwon7938200505241916280.jpg

4. Delightful Girl Chunhyang 쾌걸 춘향 - Han Chae Young, Jaehee, Uhm Tae Woong

chunhyang.jpg

5. Into the Sun 태양속으로 - Kwon Sang Woo, Myung Seh Bin, Jung Tae Woo, Kim Jung Hwa

sbs.jpg

I don't agree. Into the Sun was good drama. It was really nice

OVERRATED (not saying they are bad, in fact 4 and 5, but too much praise for not THAT good of a drama)

1. Autumn Story 가을동화 - Song Hye Gyo, Song Seung Hun, Won Bin

2. Winter Love Sonata 겨울연가 - Bae Yong Jun, Choi Jiwoo, Park Sol Mi, Park Yong Ha

3. Love To Kill 이죽일놈의 사랑 - Bi, Shin Minah, Lee Kiwoo, Kim Sarang

4. My Name is Kim Sam Soon 내이름은 김삼순 - Kim Sunah, Hyunbin, Ryu Won, Daniel Henny

5. Goong 궁 - Yoon Eun Hye, Joo Ji Hoon, Kim Jung Hoon

Please have respect for my opinion and others; everyone is entitled to their own opinions. :)

Please post!

Winter Sonata was very boring

A love to kill was also boring

Goong wasn't overrated. It's not good. Too long....

They're just advertising dramas. Never overrated.

OVERRATED:

Huh Joon, Dae Jang Geum, Sang Do, All In, Love and ambiton, Sandglass,....

Guest gingerbread

My definition of “Underrated” as explained in Longman Dictionary “is better than what people say or think”.

Our thoughts can be influenced by what we hear, and hearing good reviews about a certain drama/movie doesn’t necessarily mean that we will agree to it. As a matter of fact, it’s a double-edge sword thing for dramas/movies to have good reviews from the press or friends as it will raise the viewers’ expectations :( .

Despite having good reviews from our local press, I seem to be receiving mixed response from our locals who have seen My Name Is Kim Samsoon. Some people think that it’s a “not-too-bad” drama but rather over-hyped <_< . In which, I will term it as “Underrated by our Local Commoners”. Thus, having watched 16 Kdramas & 12 Kmovies, allow me to defend my No. 1 favourite drama - “MNIKSS” :D .

"MNIKSS" depicts the insecurities and self-worth struggles faced by today’s single women in which society has placed on them with regards to physical beauty and their “shelf life”. Its massive appeal was attributed to the great writing of Kim Sam Soon who doesn’t subscribe to the worldly standard of beauty. Unlike the typical kdrama female lead roles, Samsoon is not your conventional beauty nor is she refined. Nonetheless, this is also the reason why it makes her more believable. Having only a basic education, samsoon is loud and uncouth in many ways, eg, sprout profanities, burp, fart when peeing, pees in public places, getting into fights. However, her strengths lie in being able to take things within her stride, remain “untainted” by the worldly views, quickwittedness and capable of great depth despite her humble upbringing (which never fails to surprise me), and hopelessly committed to her man.

Humourous and cleverly crafted, the writing and flow of the story was exceptionally well executed with genuine pathos injected into it. The comic moments and punch lines strike when you least expected. Not forgetting the excellent lifelike sub-plots (Yi Young & Chef Hyun Moo, Heejin & Henry, Samshik & Samsoon’s mum, Samshik & Mijoo, Na Sajang & Samshik, Na Sajang & her secretary, Hyun Woo & Samsoon, Hyun Woo & Chae-ri) help viewers relate to the different kind of relationships that one might have been in or is in. In addition, the casting is excellent with fantastic chemistry among the casts, superb acting abilities by all (especially the lead actor and actress) and the dialogues are sharp and witty.

As mentioned by SeReNiTy-sifu, what makes “MNIKSS” stand out from the rest of the Kdramas is that there’s no outright baddie, no terminal disease, no one died, no amnesia, no long-lost siblings, no best friend fighting/self-sacrificing because they’ve fallen for the same girl and no “happily-ever-after” ending. *YAWN*

As it is, the realistic yet heartwarming ending is perfect for a pragmatic person like me. At the same time, it ended with great values for us to ponder on how we should live our lives to the fullest as if it’s the last day on earth.

Kamsahamnida for reading my wordy post :sweatingbullets:

P/S: For those who didn't quite enjoy this drama, perhaps, you could join us at the MNIKSS thread to find out more abt the hidden gems in the story :) .

Archived