Cho Seung Woo 조승우 | [Drama 2023] Divorce Attorney Shin/Sacred Divorce, 신성한 이혼

the girl who!

Cho Seung-woo is a man with a message: ‘Fengshui’ touches on the downsides of power struggles and greed

20202727.jpg

Actor Cho Seung-woo returns to the silver screen in the period flick “Fengshui,” which touches on the futility of power struggles that involve betrayal and loss. [MEGABOX PLUS M]

For high profile actor Cho Seung-woo, whether he plays a starring role or a supporting character is not important when accepting a role. Instead, the most important element to the 39-year-old is whether the film has a clear message. 

Based on his solid conviction, the upcoming movie “Fengshui” was a natural choice for the actor. One of the front-runners fiercely vying for the top of the box office during Chuseok, a popular movie-going season, “Fengshui” is a period movie that shows the futility of obsessive fights over power. 

“I have a solid standard for deciding which film to star in,” said Cho during an interview held in central Seoul last week. “I don’t like the kind of works that simply follow the trend. I usually avoid works that merely look fancy on the outside.” Cho continued, “My goal as an actor is to impose at least the slightest bit of positive influence on people who see my work, or else, it means nothing [to me as an actor].”

Directed by Park Hee-gon of crime action movie “Insadong Scandal” (2009), “Fengshui” is set in the Joseon Dynasty (1392-1910). It depicts people who fight over the perfect spot to bury their ancestors, which they believe directly affects the flow of where authority is directed. 

Cho plays the warm-hearted fengshui master Park Jae-sang, who loses his wife and a child after his attempt to interfere with the powerful Kim family’s plot to steal the propitious spot away from the royal family. 

Veteran actor Baek Yoon-sik plays the powerful Kim Jwa-geun, the great-uncle of young King Heonjong (1827-49) while Kim Sung-kyun plays Kim’s ambitious son. Ji Sung takes on the role of Heonjong’s uncle Heungseon, who superficially joins hands with Jae-sang to interfere with the ever-expanding power of the Kim family yet with a scheme that diverges from the joint plan with Jae-sang. Moon Chae-won appears as a strong-willed gisaeng (female courtesan) with the plan to take revenge against the people that harmed her family during her childhood. 

20202740.jpg

Cho Seung-woo plays a moral and warm-hearted genius Park Jae-sang in “Fengshui,” in which he co-stars with Ji Sung and Baek Yoon-sik.[MEGABOX PLUS M]

“While reading the script [of ‘Fengshui’], I felt like the movie was steady while being a classic period flick. It had a powerful [story] with grace,” said Cho. The actor’s trust in the director’s distinct artistic style, which was built through their collaboration in “Perfect Game” (2011), also made it easier for the star to accept the role.

Unlike the expressive roles he had played in his movies like crime drama “The War of Flower” (2006) and melodrama “Malaton” (2005), Cho plays a much more toned-down character in his latest film. 

“It wasn’t an easy role because I had to maintain the balance between toning down and standing out too much, since [Jae-sang] is a calm lead character who carries out the development of the film. So keeping the balance was something that I discussed a lot with the director,” Cho added. 

Although the movie is set in the past, Cho says the message of the film can still resonate with today’s audience.

“The fact that greed can lead to a bad outcome is a message that can still resonate in today’s society. People in the movie jump into the power struggle to acquire a more prestigious and affluent life, only to be met with unfortunate consequences. The movie touches on what people should value in life.”

“Fengshui” is the last film in production company Jupiter Film’s plan to release three period flicks. The first was “The Face Reader” (2013), directed by Han Jae-rim, and the second was “The Princess and the Matchmaker,” unveiled in February. While the 2013 release was a commercial hit, with 9.13 million tickets sold, the second film sold merely 1.34 million admissions. 

“Fengshui” was released on Wednesday, and is competing against other ambitious films including a period flick “The Great Battle” and crime drama “The Negotiation.”

BY JIN MIN-JI [jin.minji@joongang.co.kr]

source; http://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/news/article/article.aspx?aid=3053497

• Like 7

Cho Seung Woo, Ji Sung, And More Celebrate âFeng Shuiâ Reaching 1 Million Moviegoers

Cho Seung Woo, Ji Sung, And More Celebrate “Feng Shui” Reaching 1 Million Moviegoers

Sep 24, 2018
by J. Lim

The film “Feng Shui” is celebrating a meaningful milestone as it reaches one million moviegoers!

“Feng Shui” tells the story of genius feng shui expert Park Jae Sang (Cho Seung Woo), who is able to change people’s fates with his expertise, and the greed and ambition of those trying to vie for the throne and become the king of the land. According to the Korea Film Council, the film passed the milestone around 5 p.m. KST on September 24. The film achieved this feat on its sixth day since opening in theaters on September 19.

The film is being praised as a well-made historical piece, based around an interesting and fast-paced story with a cast of talented actors who bring their characters to life. Released around the Chuseok holidays, “Feng Shui” was also filmed in various locations around Korea to capture the country’s most beautiful sceneries to provide the best visuals for the film as well.

Feng-Shui-1.jpg

To celebrate the milestone, new photos were released of the main cast and director of “Feng Shui.” Cho Seung Woo, Ji Sung, Kim Sung Kyun, and Lee Won Geun were joined by director Park Hee Gon as they marked one million moviegoers together.

“Feng Shui” was released on September 19 and is currently playing in theaters in Korea.

Source (1)

https://www.soompi.com/article/1235409wpp/cho-seung-woo-ji-sung-celebrate-feng-shui-reaching-1-million-moviegoers

• Like 5

hi all. got this from Jo Seung Woo International Fans FB page

1. JTBC 'Life' get 3 nominations (drama category) on The 2nd Seoul Awards 
- Best Drama 
- Best Actor (Jo Seung Woo)
- Best Supporting Actress (Moon So Ri)
The award ceremony will be held on 27 October 2018 at 6-8 PM KST at Kyung Hee University. It'll be aired on SBS.
https://m.entertain.naver.com/read?oid=009&aid=0004225755

2. Jo Seung Woo get nominated for Grand Prize category on 2018 APAN Star Awards. The award ceremony will be held on 13 October 2018 at Kyunghee University. It'll be aired on tvN.

42608064_297193900878914_464721130784030

42675072_297238517541119_622981161000579

• Like 7

22 hours ago, jopradz said:

It's so nice to see him out and about before disappearing for a few weeks to rehearse for Jekyll and Hyde. Come November, I'm sure we'll see more of his post show dash to his car from fancams and I am here for that.

Am I seeing this correctly, is Kim Sung Kyun wearing the same leather jacket that JSW wore in their Daegu apperances from the previous day? If so, I find that so cute and endearing.

• Like 3

On 10/6/2018 at 12:56 AM, wanda77 said:

I have to agree that this is THE most impressive scene in Life. From the moment he entered the auditorium, JSW stole the scene with his presence and how he retorted each Dr's so-called explanations. It's even more amazing to learn that the script had 15 pages for this scene and he basically memorised all these stats/medical jargons :thumbsup::heart:

• Like 5