Yoo Seung Ho 유승호 ユ・スンホ 俞 承 豪

Admin

I am a new YSH fan and I am in awed at the love and support he has from all of you. He is blessed to have fans who stood by him despite the challenges he had. 

I agree he deserves to be a star, he has all the chops. I definitely join all of you in wishing him to get that break. And be happy too.  

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, kimchigal2 said:

His manager is the one who discovered him in The Way Home.  I think majority of decisions are still made by him.  I am not entirely sure he's happy.  I've read interviews in his past where he said he wants to make it to Hollywood.  He has big ambitions but now he's struggling to even make a bigger splash in Korea.  Household name - Yes. Major star - not yet.

It might be peanuts but which actor who chooses acting as his life long profession would be content to not reach his absolute potential?  I just don't want another slump for him.  I wish he picks better projects but I'm questioning at this point what kind of scripts make it out to him even.

Lee Joon Ki mentioned that its not that he doesn't wanna do romcoms but he never received any offers.  The competition is real. Korean entertainment business is cut throat competitive.  2016 started with Song Joong Ki fever, overtaken briefly by Park Bo Gum but ended with being All About Gong Yoo.  This year started with Gong Yoo, then Park Hyung Sik come along, Park Seo Joon briefly, now its looking like Kim Nam Gil is going to ascend the CFs and become man of the moment really soon (LUTYN + Memoirs of Murder). Everyone thought YSH will explode this year since Ruler was so hyped, in the end MBC completely botched it with a terrible director and novice writers.

2017-2018 will see the biggest exodus of Alist actors go into the army.  Its a golden period where he can assess good scripts and co-stars based on supply and demand.  

To be honest ... I feel saddened even in soompi where he has only 163 pages to his name compared to other actors who have debuted much later than him and in his same age category.  The same fans post over and over again and new posters are few and far in between.

Do I have Yuk-shim to see him do better - of course!!! Do I want him to have new fans.  YES!

I want to be positive... especially after enduring that Ruler crap for so many months but its really facepalm when this kind of news drop cos its pretty much the same type of material he's accepting again.

Maybe the disappointment will be less if I believed less in him.  

Well, it rather depends what the actor himself sees as potential. Does potential mean popularity and getting a Hollywood debut? Then he should start making wiser choices in the coming years. Does potential mean getting to experiment with roles and seeing what genres he prefers, exploring everything in between? Then I think he's in the right track.

Looking into Hollywood, and more generally, in the US entertaninment industry, I can see that a lot of the actors who have had long careers, did have some slumps and failures in their resumes but ultimately they ended up at a point in their career in which they could choose their roles and be happy/content with them.

As opposed to that, think of people like Katy Perry or Britney Spears, they were (are) HUGE, yet they had miserable private lifes and were battling with really nasty demons. I would certainly like to see Yoo Seung-ho be more popular, but not at the cost of his personal happiness and, judging by what I've read/seen about him, he's working hard to achieve a good balance in between his acting career and his personal happiness. The fact that he prefers to spend his free time as a regular person and not having impromptu trips to the US or some other exotic location says a lot about what he considers happiness. 

Also, like you said, in the coming year there will be a gap to fill in terms of superstars as a lot of them will be off to the military, he might choose the next two years, which coincidentially will be the ones leading up to his peak as a male lead, to do something about his popularity. However, if he instead chooses to focus on experimenting with roles, even uber dark ones, I'd be happy with that too, and @Berou: I would absolutely LOVE to see him playing the full-villain, going beyond even what he already tried playing Harry Borrison. I'm sure he'd be a thrill to watch. 

• Like 3

I am crawling out of my hiatus to just say that if he does confirm for this new drama, I will try to be back. I'm balancing work more often now and it's but stressful to take upon drama breaks lately. But if our handsome gem is back to dramaland - I will try to be there to support for him!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joyspartace said:

I am crawling out of my hiatus to just say that if he does confirm for this new drama, I will try to be back. I'm balancing work more often now and it's but stressful to take upon drama breaks lately. But if our handsome gem is back to dramaland - I will try to be there to support for him!!!

Chingu, where have you disappeared to? Please take care of yourself and come back when you have time.

• Like 1

I just saw this. I was so happy when he said he was going to follow the trend. Why does he keep taking the same genre? Is he really not getting offers for another genre? I remember reading long time back that he doesn't get much offers for other stuff. I don't need him to do romcoms. Any genre other than melodrama would be fine. By this time I think everyone knows he is a good crier. and AGAIN MBC??? I guess with a really good writer, it could be great. Kill me, heal me sounded like a disaster but it was okay. My hopes are low with this. Ruler atleast had a better synopsis and character description than this and look how that turned out. 

http://www.dramabeans.com/2017/09/mbc-courts-yoo-seung-ho-to-headline-drama-i-am-love/

I Am Love centers around a man who has nobody to lean on, neither parents nor lover, and the story that unfolds when he meets and falls in love with a woman. Yoo Seung-ho is up to play Kang Chan, a young man with genius-level drawing abilities who has had to resort to using his skills to make forgeries. As a child, he was adopted to the U.S. but was then rejected twice by his adoptive families. He suffered abuse, and was deported after getting caught up in a drug trafficking incident. Now he lives in Jeju, spending his days at an out-of-the-way monastery as a priest, and working as a forger at night. 

Also Yoo Seung Ho seems to take dramas around my exam time. I hope its not airing during February/ March. Also I have been Yoo Seung Ho dramas to all my friends and cousins. They all like him. I think army was good to him. My friend who only likes guys like Taecyeon likes him. Although she refuses to watch a melodrama. I think most of their favourite is Kim Soendal. Also people who never had watched a saguek liked Ruler. I guess for a first timer the plot is new and refreshing.

• Like 1

You know, from the character description, the only thing which worries me is the "out-of-the-way monastery as a priest" part. If he's a christian priest, this is going to make the whole romance line even more difficult, but if it's a buddhist priest, does that mean Seung-ho is going to shave his hair for this drama?

#MeMyselfAndIWantToKnow. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, fibulas said:

I just saw this. I was so happy when he said he was going to follow the trend. Why does he keep taking the same genre? Is he really not getting offers for another genre? I remember reading long time back that he doesn't get much offers for other stuff. I don't need him to do romcoms. Any genre other than melodrama would be fine. By this time I think everyone knows he is a good crier. and AGAIN MBC??? I guess with a really good writer, it could be great. Kill me, heal me sounded like a disaster but it was okay. My hopes are low with this. Ruler atleast had a better synopsis and character description than this and look how that turned out. 

http://www.dramabeans.com/2017/09/mbc-courts-yoo-seung-ho-to-headline-drama-i-am-love/

I Am Love centers around a man who has nobody to lean on, neither parents nor lover, and the story that unfolds when he meets and falls in love with a woman. Yoo Seung-ho is up to play Kang Chan, a young man with genius-level drawing abilities who has had to resort to using his skills to make forgeries. As a child, he was adopted to the U.S. but was then rejected twice by his adoptive families. He suffered abuse, and was deported after getting caught up in a drug trafficking incident. Now he lives in Jeju, spending his days at an out-of-the-way monastery as a priest, and working as a forger at night. 

Also Yoo Seung Ho seems to take dramas around my exam time. I hope its not airing during February/ March. Also I have been Yoo Seung Ho dramas to all my friends and cousins. They all like him. I think army was good to him. My friend who only likes guys like Taecyeon likes him. Although she refuses to watch a melodrama. I think most of their favourite is Kim Soendal. Also people who never had watched a saguek liked Ruler. I guess for a first timer the plot is new and refreshing.

" PD Choi Won-seok, whose prior credits include mid-2000s dramas like Firebird, Queen of the Game, and Bad Love, as well as 2011’s Miss Ripley. Sigh, okay, so he’s a hardcore melo dude. (Why, Yoo Seung-ho, why?) I couldn’t watch Queen of the Game (subpar revenge thriller) or Bad Love (makjang romance melo), but I did find Miss Ripley an engaging and relatively easy watch, and PD Choi has also worked on the daily drama Oh Ja-ryong Is Coming, which I recall being popular. If we’re looking for silver linings! " (from above article)

goosh, i watch none of those mentioned. so literally unable to 'judge' how good is PD.

As a child, he was adopted to the U.S. but was then rejected twice by his adoptive families. He suffered abuse, and was deported after getting caught up in a drug trafficking incident. Now he lives in Jeju, spending his days at an out-of-the-way monastery as a priest, and working as a forger at night. That is certainly a colorful description.

wow, that's a really interesting role, i dont remembered watching any role in Kdrama having a young priest as a main lead, except Love Letter (a classic melodrama), acted by Jo Hyun-jae, Soo Ae and Ji Jin-hee with Jo HyunJae taking on the role of a young priest falling in love with childhood girl...its a forbidden love story.. wonder is Yoo's character a priest (Cathotic priest cannot be married) or just a pastor, (while Protestant Pastor can have wife and family). then how will a priest, say is he a fake priest then, likely since his 'part-time night-shift' is a forger...

interesting. i am sorta into Art. so would like to know, forged what kind of Art? classic? Guess this will be another melodrama? can't be Rom-com right?

this morning i wanted to post this here, found that i cant post, so i will now post it here: Praying that YSH chose wisely a project. he can't affort to waste his talent and dampened his spirit by laboring few months and ended up scarred,
i used to think as long as Yoo has a good female lead, it will solve the problem.. i guess it take more than this.

you need many things for a drama that work well for him. when his drama doesnt work, many times its not his faults: it many factors;

1) Script-writer: first the script as the brain that work in a body, body being the drama. its the brain, the script-writers that plan the Genesis of how a story, an plot should go. the stupid script in Ruler, proven one thing. you can write an awesome character Lee Sun, making Lee Sun character lost the grandeur of being a wise king, making all stupid plan.... then half way the fire died down, and characters lost the wisdom and direction, the characters drafting is lousy no matter how cheesy is loveline. Ruler is best eg. in the end, the only one memorial things about Lee Sun character, is his speech that he used to make an subject pledge loyal to him. Ruler's Sun and GE's character was the flaws that couldnt make one commit to admire the chief leads of drama, and see the leads' growth, however hard both YSH and KSH work hard.

2) Castings crews and the Production Stations: they are the skeletons, and flamework where the body stand.  : this is very important not to chose idols that cannot act.. or even actress or actor that cannot act, if you put a Yoon So Hee there, and every one get distracted into hating her for half of the show. or put a Nam gye man in Remember making NGM blow and throw and bang ... stealing show from every character in the show. casting crews is important to bring in the right suporting casts which help to bring out the best in leads.  if there is but one factor that is lacking in Remember but met in Ruler, should be the Castings choice, Definitely, compared to PMY in Remember, KSH in Ruler should have been a better pairing of OTP. once the pairing of OTP does not appeal to audience, any chemistry or OTP affectionate moments will not be able to be accepted by viewers.  Production crew and station: when you have main station that succumb to rating and started cutting scenes of the actor that anti-fans rant a lot in public forum, or change order of scenes , just to please fans of a certain actor they liked.. then also cut ending that may make fans angry when fans make lots of noise about certain actor... then i think all these will  not do well ....this happened now in TheKingLoves.

3) PD: Directors are external appearances of the body, the skins, the hairs, the atmostphere.... and  the way PD will restrict the way you act, angle.. PD can even cut or changed scenes of Script writer, PD can make an emotional scene of Yoo into long lense, or cut emotional scenes that cannot show the excellent facial emotion of YSH. or cannot bring out the emotions or lead the characters in sentimental scenes. you see some of Ruler scene's affectionate scene, with so many people beside, how to let YSH and KSH emote feelings? PD created the mood, the body and skeletons where communicate what the script-writer wants to the actors, and translate to viewers. Remember WotS's PD and Script writer are fine, just that i cannot go thru another melodrama again, RwotS grind my heart into pieces, should be considered one of YSH's best work to date, having all the factors excellence.

5) Main leads (Main actor/actress): are the Soul of a body, the hearts, the senses, the eyes / mouth / of a body that bring emotions and feelings . Main Actress must have acting skill, and try not to be Kpop actress that cannot act. nuff said about this. while chemistry is important, YSH cannot pair with older, much older actress. oh the limitation is there, for younger leads but with acting skill and not lousy kpop actress that cannot act. just hope Yoo wont be paired up with some Kdrama Pop star that cannot deliver soul into the drama. Else YSH will be like working double hard to feel, to cry, to be angry, and so will start questioning chemistry lacking... This age of YSH of 24, is the prime age, of finding his voice, his genre. So far, i must say, while YSH looks good with almost all his co-leads, but yet it is still hard to found that singular OTP that can be called YSH's signature OTP.  the way script-writer wrote Lee Sun and Ga Eun make it unable for the OTP to reach the peak of affectionate and emotional level, pray that YSH can finally find someone that can break thru his affectionate barrier and create very sensual and sizzling feels, what we normally called: Chemistry!

• Like 1

On 06/09/2017 at 3:50 PM, sanaeozora said:

You know, from the character description, the only thing which worries me is the "out-of-the-way monastery as a priest" part. If he's a christian priest, this is going to make the whole romance line even more difficult, but if it's a buddhist priest, does that mean Seung-ho is going to shave his hair for this drama?

#MeMyselfAndIWantToKnow. 

haha=, apart from being a production from MBC. yes, the 'priest' matter does MATTER.

because i did watch another 2 dramas / movie that evolved around romance with a catholic priest.

if it is about christian pastor, likely you will still have happy ending, i am so done with the prospect with having sad ending for YSH. beside Ruler which is sucks at plot but the only goods that come out from Ruler, is the Happy Ending (even for the departed loved ones).

1) Love Letter (Hangul러브레터; RRLeo-beu Le-teo) - Jo Hyun-jae, Soo Ae and Ji Jin-hee (Jo Hyun Jae was my teen-idol-actor), but it was a melodrama without happy ending, becomes JoHyunjae end up still remain a priest, didnt coming out of it to wed SooAe. i dont want YSH to go that path in a forbidden stolen love with any one. but YSH will be damned gorgeous in priestly gown. coz he really looked a pure godly young priest.. i bet many fans wil start going church to find YSH-lookalike at the altar. he didnt seek Laicization for his love,

2) Love, So Divine  by Ha Ji-won and Kwon Sang-woo . Kwon Sangwoo is a very lame frame as a godly priest, no way.. i this is just another com-rom.. cannot take it seriously. another priest-fall-in-love-return-to-world for love.  but this movie has a happy ending as kwon sangwoo character did got himself  laicized  / defrocked / secularize ( dismissed from the faith/ church). to go love Ha JiWon,

3) The Priests is a 2015 South Korean supernatural mystery thriller film written and directed by Jang Jae-hyun, based on his award-winning short film 12th Assistant Deacon. Two priests have to find out if a young girl was attacked by an evil spirit or human molester in order to save her life. Yun-seok Kim, Dong-won Gang, Byeong-ok Kim. nothing romantic genre here, more of supernatural.

but i think YSH, been a night-forger of art... may not sound that he is a true priest.
but yet again, some a 'unique' character placed under MBC should be a waste. however interesting and out of the Box character for YSH. i have doubt MBC can help carry YSH far enough , even if given the role very unique... '

at any time, i still can visualize YSH in godly priestly robe, none in Kdrama kingdom looks better in a priesthood robe than YSH.

(goosh, berou gonna kill me for singing praises for MBC production.  yah, if it is KBS.. i dare say, he should kneel, beg and plea for that charismatic role of Priest/artist/thief role)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Berou said:

My wishfulthinking is him refusing the role. I really facepalmed when I saw the drama is going to be under MBC. I really had faith in MBC with ruler because MBC is known for its sageuks. But MBC completely botched ruler. So I have no faith this time. Sorry for being negative, I should be happy when one of my fav actors is planning to make a comeback, it's not the case :(

The role is really unique, if it was under OCN/KBS/SBS/TvN I would have been excited. 

There's no fire to extinguish, It's been barely 2 months ruler had ended and he's already planning his comeback. He should wait a little bit more to get a better offer.

YA. remember he was proposed for that role co-lead Soo-Ae's sweet stranger and me... thank God he turned down. i watch one ep... really cannot fly, and he really look so young beside the very mature Soo-Ae. worst than his PMY-YSH pairing. that time we thought he will accept right?

and he turned down.

so likely this priestly role he will turned down to rest. remember he spend more than 6 months on Ruler and what does it got him... most of the recapers site really has nothing good to say about his Ruler.. btw, present MBC drama TheKingLoves also did not get approval and acceptance from famous Recappers sites. Dramabeans / couch kimchi / hancinema tried never to write any recaps for Ruler.

so maybe YSH should try any other genre by other stations.

oh boy, am i actually quite liked that thought of charming priestly YSH,.

• Like 1

1st thing: what happened to soompi?!! :huh: I feel like I'm rediscovering it!! :blink: 

2nd thing and most important thing is the news about Yoo Seung Ho considering a new drama which gave me multi feelings at once!! I was happy (my eyes popped out when I saw the news' title) since we will get to see him back to dramaland and I can't be happier to know that:wub: but then I got worried 1st he didn't rest enough (or I think so after all he went through while filming Ruler) 2nd it's from MBC which makes me unconfident and worried with the strikes news at MBC and KBS and the reasons behind it so if he's to sign I want it when all this mess is already over not before that...

now plot wise, this is Yoo Seung Ho we're talking about so no surprise there though I was about to pull my hair from all the melodrama his to be character if he signed for it suffered :huh::blink: hhhhh well they can't get anyone better than Yoo Seung Ho for suich a tragic character that's for sure :tongue: but I loved the idea of him playing a priest by day (better be a pastor since I don't want forbidden love for him for sure) who is a forger by night, that's quite a twist there and I like it :smirk: and they made the fangirl in me wanting to see him in a priest robe, he'd look SUPPER HANDSOME in it :love: but really they should never allow handsome men become priests or pastors because girls will go to church to just fangirl over them :tongue: hhhhh and in Yoo Seung Ho's case I can see women from all ages going to fangirl over him just like his fangirls who are from different ages :tongue: hhhhh

so for now I'll just pray he ends up making the right decision and I'll support him whatever he decides!! *praying*

@WoozyPrincess thank you for all the videos and pics!! :wub: he's sooooooo adorable and cute and handsome!! :wub::wub::wub: 

Tell me how excited I am?! Is it official.. that new drama? already waiting for a drama thread. The story plot is soo melodramatic! but that's his forte! Flood of Tears going to fall from that expressive eyes of his!  This better have high quality well written drama. YSH acting skills deserves to be in excellent drama! Just tag me when there's thread, please.. My dream pairing. I've mentioned this many times in Ruler thread is him with Ji Sung.Imagine that! Waiting.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Berou said:

@sakura2016 I'm happy to see you here again. it's been a while.

Many things have changed.  firstly, soompi went through an unexpected update and  the bugs haven't been fixed yet. Secondly, I've finally edited and updated the first post of YSH thread. I've been spending the last two days on it. If you have any suggestions to improve the first post, I'm all ears :)

happy to be here again too!! :D 

Spoiler

(was and still trying to find a way to survive my depression...)

ohhh I get it now, thank you all for all your hard work :wub: 

I just went back to read your 1st post of Yoo Seung Ho's thread, that was soooooo good and I loved it alot!! thank you so much chingu!! :wub: 

22 hours ago, Berou said:

Aww thanks @sakura2016. If it wasn't for YSH , I wouldn't have spent so much time on it. In fact I became the author of this thread last April but I hadn't the time to edit and update the first post. I was always busy with something. 

It's really hard to cope up with pain and live when our dear loved ones leave us. I can imagine the pain and depression.

Hide contents

As I've already told, I'm all ears if you need to release your pain/depression. This last 3 weeks I was caught up with university and wasn't really present on soompi. Now I'm back :)

yeah I can see how much effort and time you did put on it, thank you soooo much chingu!! :wub: and I can imagine how busy you can be as a moditor as well so I have huge admiration and respect to all of you for all your efforts!! :wub: 

Spoiler

this time I'm the one forced to let go of my most precious and special person to me (my fiancé) which I feel like dying by only thinking about it...

thank you so much chingu :heart: I will tell you for sure if you can hear my long story but I just need enough time to write it all and I need to be alone so I won't get caught crying while writing...

3 hours ago, sakura2016 said:

yeah I can see how much effort and time you did put on it, thank you soooo much chingu!! :wub: and I can imagine how busy you can be as a moditor as well so I have huge admiration and respect to all of you for all your efforts!! :wub: 

Spoiler

Hide contents

this time I'm the one forced to let go of my most precious and special person to me (my fiancé) which I feel like dying by only thinking about it...

thank you so much chingu :heart: I will tell you for sure if you can hear my long story but I just need enough time to write it all and I need to be alone so I won't get caught crying while writing...

Big hug to you, Chingu. Hang in there.

A longer version of the Nylon ad

• Like 2