Official Final Fantasy thread

Guest ~fantasygurl~

I agree.. I'm not digging Vaan's character design and alot of the outfits used. Furthermore, I'm not too excited over the "big belligerent empire" type story line. while it's something you commonly find in such a genre.. I think' it's been used pretty often in the FF series,.. lets see.. FFII, FFIV, FF7 (well replace big empire with big conglomerate), FF8, and to some extent, FF9.

Is it me, or out of all the other rpgs out there, it feels that FF seems to have been strongly influenced by the Phantasy Star series?

wasn't Phantasy Star always a little Sci-fi with tidbits of technology, or is that only PSO?

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wasn't Phantasy Star always a little Sci-fi with tidbits of technology, or is that only PSO?

Yep! they always combined medieval/fantasy elements with sci-fi.

When Phantasy Star 1 came out in 1987-88. It had a party system, 3 worlds to travel, a land and air vehicle, cut scenes, use of both guns and swords, and races. Something that you didn't see with other Japanese console RPGs at the time. The major ones being Dragon Quest 1 (used a solo char and was relatively straight forward and simple), and FF1 (did have a party system and an air vehicle, and I guess, a sci fi element in just Tiamat's stage).

as for the PSO series, I am under the impression that it's release heavily influence the creation of FFXI being something similar and also race based.

In any case, it's a shame they pretty much stopped at PS4, it was truly Sega's answer to the FF and DQ series for Nintendo systems. I don't really consider PSO as canon

maybe i should start playing that then i think?

if you're into old school games. keep in mind PS1-4 came out between 1987-94.. so it's not quite as advance or as complicated as rpgs nowadays.. but for it's time.. it was very revolutionary. you can probably find some genesis and sms emulators easily as well as the roms.

back to FF..

anyone liked the gameboy spinoffs FF adventure and FF legends? (although they are technically seiken densetsu and saga respectively).

seiken densetsu... isnt that secrent of mana?

i remember playing FF: Mystic Quest for SNES... ugh...

how long did it take you to beat it? I remember going to a video game store back when I was 12.. looking for some new fighting games for my SNES.. and then I saw some kid playing an RPG there. I looked at the cartridge and it said (Final Fantasy Mystic Quest). I was like "whoa, a new FF game, I must have! it looks cool!" (well graphics weren't that far off from FF4.. which didn't have that great a graphics to begin with) :P I also thought at first, it had random encounters since the guy was playing that ice pyramid..sadly I was mistaken

after buying it and bringing it home.. sooooo disappointed.. easiest RPG ever played, especially since using cure 1 on the final boss did like 30000 dmg o.O. Square shoulda kept the original Japanese name instead.. "Final Fantasy Jr"

Guest Strawberry Boba Tea

I think my favorite Final Fantasy song of all time would have to be from FFVIII. I think it's called "Find Your Way". It's that one song that plays during a dome-shaped building (yeah I know that's vague but that's all I remember).

I like Chrono Trigger's ending theme too, even though it's off topic-ish.

Guest instantnoodlez

if you're into old school games. keep in mind PS1-4 came out between 1987-94.. so it's not quite as advance or as complicated as rpgs nowadays.. but for it's time.. it was very revolutionary. you can probably find some genesis and sms emulators easily as well as the roms.

back to FF..

anyone liked the gameboy spinoffs FF adventure and FF legends? (although they are technically seiken densetsu and saga respectively).

is that the ffI, II, and VI for the gba? i'm excited for them and the ffIII for the ds. should be awesome.

is that the ffI, II, and VI for the gba? i'm excited for them and the ffIII for the ds. should be awesome.

nope. FF1, II, and (did they remake VI?) for the GBA is just I, II, and VI :P

but yes, definitely excited for FFIII. Out of the 3 Famicom/NES Final Fantasy games.. III was the best! Onion kids!!

Guest instantnoodlez

nope. FF1, II, and (did they remake VI?) for the GBA is just I, II, and VI :P

but yes, definitely excited for FFIII. Out of the 3 Famicom/NES Final Fantasy games.. III was the best! Onion kids!!

yeah, they're remaking I-VI for the GBA, except for III. i can't wait! i read some articles on it (III for the ds) and square is going to revamp it with 3D graphics and a mode for the classic game (no stylus use whatsoever) and a mode with use of the stylus (you can even play the whole game with just the stylus) as well as a handful of extras and gameplay changes.

yeah, they're remaking I-VI for the GBA, except for III. i can't wait! i read some articles on it (III for the ds) and square is going to revamp it with 3D graphics and a mode for the classic game (no stylus use whatsoever) and a mode with use of the stylus (you can even play the whole game with just the stylus) as well as a handful of extras and gameplay changes.

wow revamp it with 3d graphics? hmm.. but the DS 3d abilities isn't too impressive :unsure: it's still a cool idea though.. I can't think of too many old school RPGs that have been remade into 3D.. the only one that comes to mind is the Dragon Quest 4 remake for the PS.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest KuYA II

ff7 = hahaha the golden chocobo was the best!!! =)

ff8 = "eyes on me" beautiful song, and Rinoa is the best final fantasy female character =) she's beautiful ^^

ff9 = ehhh its okay, i would just give it a good 7/10

ff10= it was really good, i actually enjoyed it, but was really easy o.o;;;

ff10-2 = "thousand words" i love this song! ^^....i like the game..very challenging, but fast paced =).

Guest RYUUSEi

Final Fantasy 7 was the first RPG I ever played, it'll always have a special place in my heart ^.~ Lol. One-Winged Angel & J-E-N-O-V-A will always be among the best instrumentals out there! *.* And I loved the whole CloTi-thing going on.

Final Fantasy 8 got me even more hooked on Final Fantasy, mainly because Squall's limitbreaks kick richard simmons, and there's just SO much to do aside from the storyline! ^o^ I really liked the battle system too, and the battle-themes, it got you all pumped up. 'Eyes on Me' will forever be on my mp3-player TT.,TT

Final Fantasy 9 was just awesome because of ONE thing - the Hot 'n' Cold-game *dies* I effin' LOVED that game! It was so addicting. Other then that, it was just too easy because of all the questionmarks and stuff. The music was really good, though.

Final Fantasy 10 was ... well, I guess I had too high expectations -_____- But the graphics were awesome! The music was wonderful, and the characters were all very well designed. Yuna is the best *.* And Tidus was a whiny richard simmons but at least he did something good in the end -_____-

Final Fantasy 10-2, yaah ... the music was good, at least -____- 1000 words performed by Koda Kumi was my favourite song for weeks and weeks. Other then that ... it wasn't like ... WOW.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ~fantasygurl~

i never played ff but i want to start playing now

but do you guys play the japanese version or the english version

i play the english verssion but i want to try playing the japanese ne though...

Archived