Official Final Fantasy thread

Guest ~fantasygurl~

Guest res0nate

Originally Posted by someone on TNL

Played through the first four levels. Some overview so far:

It's like the team really, really, really wanted to copy to DMC, but in order to differentiate themselves decided to make the gunplay like RE4. However, a large part of the reason DMC's combat was because it had a lock-on - which this game does not - and part of the reason RE4's shooting was great was because of location damage - which this game does not (excluding specific parts of certain bosses). Because of that the hand-to-hand is incredibly clumsy as you can actually knock your opponent out of the way mid-combo, which can give them the opportunity to get up and start kicking Vincent's richard simmons if he was in the middle of a flip kick. The gun elements actually work pretty well on their own but it feels a little half-assed being on top of a totally different combat engine and with no actual work on the player's part (if an enemy is inside the reticle it will auto lock-on, and if they're far away it's half a matter of gun parts and half a matter of luck if you hit them).

The graphics are good for a PS2, which is to say they're not good for any other system. Crappy environment textures, a framerate (or filter) which makes sure everything blurs so as to try and not make the textures look so bad, but the character models are great and the visual design (mostly) is pretty awesome. There are some huge glaring flaws in the characters, though, mostly notably the scientist introduced in stage 3. Apparently someone from the clothing school of FFX warped worlds and hopped into FFVII, giving us a beautiful one-eyed, one robot arm, female scientist that wears a white lab coat, a bikini, enourmous high heels, and a couple scraps of cloth draped over her bikini to give some semblence of "I was wearing a purple dress before a werewolf attacked me." Genius. I don't know where they think of this stuff.

As a side note, the bad guy soldiers are also pretty terrible. The major ones all look like Bloody Roar rejects, and in order to make sure that you can tell the difference between the male and female cannon fodder they make the females not only not wear pants (just underwear) but they give them glowing vaginas. Let me repeat that: Glowing vaginas. Go Square.

On the other hand, Vincent looks cool and Cait Sith is good as well as funny (if a bit out of place), they did a good job on Midgar and the CG movies are, of course, absolutely stunning. Shame they made the in-game graphics look so muddy for no good reason, and of course I saw no option for progressive scan. On the bright side it does at least support PLII (I saw nothing for digital, as expected).

The gameplay overall has a lot of good ideas, most of which is focused on his gun Cerebus. You can modify it into three variations which can be switched between on the fly, allowing for something like having a chaingun, shotgun, and pistol designs if you so desire. There's been a crapload of parts so far to really tweak the hell out of it altering range, weight (how fast you can run when your gun is drawn), speed, and damage and each of those can also be powered up even further in between levels in exchange for gil.

I'm also surprised at the level of camera control that's offered. In gun mode you can switch between over-the-shoulder ala RE4 or standard first-person, and can alter the up/down and left/right both in reversing as well as sensitivity with it being seperate for gun and hand-to-hand. Since I prefer my camera controls different for third-person then I do first this works out great for me, although I really wish you could pull the camera back in third-person since it's way too close for some of those fights (if someone comes up from certain directions you can't tell they're there).

So far it's pretty good game, nothing amazing but with a lot of good effort behind it. Basically, yeah, FFVII fans have nothing to worry about it and will eat this up like mad, for everyone else I'd say it's a good "B" so far.

This guy took the words right out of my mouth. I have the same issues w/the game as well. Just the reason why it's collecting dust on top of my ps2. Weak ripoff

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest instantnoodlez

ooh wow, that review seemed a bit harsh! lol, i guess the rest of us will have to see when it comes out here, but i do agree, not matter how bad it may turn out, ff fans will eat it all up and proclaim it's the best game ever since ffvii.

Guest boajjangseiji

^Agreed that review does sound kinda harsh. -_-

I can't play it anyway coz I don't have my PS2 anymore, but Vincent is my favorite character in FFVII and Gackt's theme song (REDEMPTION) is simply awesome. :D

Guest herovueboi

i've only tried FFX and i absolutely LOVE IT! :DDDD the plot, the characters, the graphics, just AMAZING!

-S0LLY ^3^

I've played FFX and I believe it to be the saddest story line.

***SPOILER***

Titus, the main charater is actually from a dream world. As soon as the faith stop dreaming and wake up, Titus is no more. Tell ya the truth, I cried to find out that Auron was actually just a spirit roaming around because he had unfinished business, Titus was not a real person who fell in love with a summoner, and the final boss is actually his dad. "Jecht is Sin, Sin is Jecht"<---ruined my mood...it was also hard to see Titus go because he was there the whole game, his whole world was just a dream....I think of my reality like that sometimes...FFX was probably the best video game I've ever played up to date. :)

Guest instantnoodlez

hey res0nate, have you figured out how the online part works? i'm curious as to how that'll turn out since it doesn't seem like this sort of game has very much online potential.

Guest res0nate

I can't remember how online works. I THINK it was like PSO. Not too sure though... but online potential or offline. I still think the game is horrible.

FFX was good enough I suppose, but FFX-2 killed it, storywise. Sure FFX-2 has great graphics, decent battle system but it didn't held much character depth. FFX sure didn't give THAT much compare to previous FF titles and FFX-2 didn't help either. What do we know from Paine other than she was in the Crimson Squad? Not a lot I'd say.

Guest Take Five

the only reason i kept playing ffx-2 was because i loved the battle system. i'll probably even rush through it again using the cat nip accessory just so i can watch the good ending =P

Guest Bizarnage

I want to play the newest FF that will be out soon. Not sure when but most likely 2006? or 07. I think its called Final Fantasy FFXII

Guest herovueboi

FFX was good enough I suppose, but FFX-2 killed it, storywise. Sure FFX-2 has great graphics, decent battle system but it didn't held much character depth. FFX sure didn't give THAT much compare to previous FF titles and FFX-2 didn't help either. What do we know from Paine other than she was in the Crimson Squad? Not a lot I'd say.

I agree, I really don't know how they played out FFX like that. I dislike the new battle system and though it looks difficult at first, the game is super easy to get used to. Has anyone ever notice the stragey guide? Well as it would seem, the game was too easy for me the firs time around. Heck, it was easier the 2nd time around because I just fly by stuff again, skipping scenes. Then one day I walk into Walmart and see the guide, guess what...you have to watch every single movie scene, do like 99% of the missions to get the ending worth playing the game!!!

I don't know, that just kind of pissed me off, the game has like 250+ pages yet only took me 25 hours to beat. You have a ton of missions you have to do to even get the semi-good ending. Though I must say, when I cheated and just quit the game since it was just too long, hard and exhausting playing to get the good ending...I just ended up downloading the 100% ending, and I must say...it completes the whole FFX series.

:) SPOILER*********

Yuna together with Titus, she traveled through reality hoping to see him again...after working out all the bugs of reality...dreams come true. -SES

^^^^LOL, I just had to say it.

Guest ~fantasygurl~

FFXI? That was a MMORPG, I don't think there was a "main" guy...:blink:

Anyway, back to the topic.

My first Final Fantasy game was FFIII for the US, so FFVI. This game made me a fan of the series.

I really enjoyed all the characters and the story development of FFIII. The gameplay was also entertaining enough for me to enjoy it all the way through.

However, my all time favorite FF has to be FFVII. I think I played this game when I was like in the 6th/7th grade, so I had all the time in the world to be caught up in a video game. And it did exactly that. This game turned me into a fanatic. I obtained every Master Materia for all my characters, raised 4 Golden chocobo and 2 Black chocobo, you name it, I did it. So when FFVII:AC came out, it was an exciting time for me. The movie delivered, probably the best 1-2 combo by Square-Enix ever.

FFVIII. I have mixed feelings about this game, but I gotta admit it was a good one. Anybody else think Laguna is Squall's dad? Or am I just the crazy one?

FFIX. Horrible. I regret buying it.

FFX was great. I enjoyed playing every single moment of it, but whoever did Yuna's voice acting needs to get fired. My third personal favorite and I gotta admit the ending got to me a little bit.

FFX-2. Didn't really see a point for the game, the storyline seemed a bit rushed. Never got 100% of the game completed, seemed like a waste of time. I think I'm at like 98% or something like that.

FFXI, didn't play, but I had a chance to on a friend's account. From what I can make out of it, it seems like a well put together MMORPG.

I'm hoping to God they remake FFVII on the PS3.

i was talking about the little boy from the begining and when he grows up he's so KAWAII!!

I do too!!! i really wanna play the game to see better graphics and stuffs! :D

FFVIII had the best ending ever! ^_^

yeah it was the only final fantasy edning where they actually kiss and they zoomed away form it too...... :(

Guest bookworm426

Final Fantasy is sooooo COOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!! WWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest ~fantasygurl~

i just saw a gackt musicvideo of the game and it was awesome!!!

i think that it was one of his new songs and it's good!!

almost everyone was in the video it wsa renamed something.....

WWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

reminds of gau from ff3 :X lol

FF7 was my all time fav game... EVER. i've played it a few times. i still can't get over how good it was. its the best game i think i'll ever play. not even till this day i can find a game that can match up to FF7. FF7 is flawless.

FF8 was good but no where near as great of a game FF7 is. FF9 was sort of disappointing. i was hoping it would be better. and FF10 was ok, but i was also hoping at this point, the FF series would redeem itself. i haven't played the FF online yet. i probably never will because i can't afford paying for it.

Archived