Park Ki Woong 박기웅

ecs707a

Hi everyone ^^

I`m so happy to discover this page dedicated to my the most favourite Korean actor Park Ki-woong :)

Does anyone know when english subs will be available?

Hi @hlg9_stv!  Welcome to the thread! 

I don't know about subtitles either.  I've been keeping an eye on DVD releases, since I think that's probably the most likely way to get them.  So far, there's only a Japan version, and it's only got Japanese subs, so that's not much help, for me at least.  Hoping for a Korean release, or a US release although I know that's unlikely.  Either option would be likely to have English subs, and either one would please me greatly. :)

It feels kind of silly to buy a DVD just for the subtitles, essentially, but I've done it before.  Maybe there will be some special features too.

Thaks for your answer))
When English subtitles will be available, please, let us know :rolleyes: 

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So...his contract with WaveOn is up.  That seems like both bad and good timing.  Good, in that he'll have a completely fresh start when he finishes up his military service in February.  Bad, in that it seems like it would be really difficult to negotiate a new contract while serving.  Hmm...

Some links: news1, xsportsnews, tvdaily, tvreport

I saw this article the other day and didn't post it because it's just saying he's coming back soon and meh.  We know that.  But someone translated the comments, and some of them are kind of cute, so...

Actors who are returning from military service (Yoon Shi Yoon, Park Ki Woong, Kang Dong Ho)

Monday, October 19, 2015

90vnSYm.jpg

Osen - Naver: Yoon Shi Yoon, Park Ki Woong and Kang Dong Ho, soldier oppas are coming back

1. [+1,157, -13] Excited for Yoon Shi Yoon's comeback! Do well, you three ㅋㅋ

2. [+780, -10] Park Ki Woong is love

3. [+590, -46] Yoon Shi Yoon and Park Ki Woong♥♥♥♥♥♥ Sorry, I don't know who Kang Dong Ho is ㅜㅜ

4. [+520, -6] Yoon Shi Yoon hwaiting~~~

5. [+98, -1] Wow Yoon Shi Yoon's finally returning... You've worked hard

6. [+97, -3] I wish Yoon Shi Yoon and Hwang Jung Eum would star in another drama together ♡♡♡ ㅎㅎ

7. [+84, -1] I've been a fan of Yoon Shi Yoon and Hwang Jung Eum ever since 'High Kick Through the Roof'. I supported him more than Joo Won. Hoping for these 3 to return asap

8. [+78, 0] I've been waiting for Yoon Shi Yoon.. Please pick a good comeback project

source

Yes, commenter #2.  Yes, he is. :)

This agency thing is making me nervous.  I keep checking for news and...nothing.  He's going to have to start figuring out what to do when he gets out soon!  He kind of needs an agency for that.  Someone reassure me!  Or commiserate.  Haha.  There needs to be no delay in his drama or movie comeback project.  For my sanity's sake. :) 

Impatient, impatient.  Hahaha.

I really wonder what happened with the agency thing.  Hmm...did the contract just expire and he chose not to renew, or did something happen?  Anyway, speaking of agency things, I checked waveon's website after that news broke and his profile was still there.

For posterity, I guess:

wwaveon%20profile%202015_zpszjshi6jg.jpg

It's not there anymore.

In other news, it's not the 30th yet here, but it is in Korea, so I can say this: only 100 days left!  Tomorrow we'll be in double digits for the first time!

So it got me thinking that I need to clean up the mess in the first post, lol.  I fixed a bunch of broken links, but I still haven't checked them all to see if what they linked to is even still there after so many of the posts got eaten in the move.  Ugh.  I'm afraid.  Anyway, if anyone finds something broken or wrong or missing or whatever, let me know and I'll fix it.

• 1 month later...
On 12/2/2015, 3:27:00, hlg9_stv said:

Hi everyone :)

Does anyone have a translation of this interview link? It seems to be interesting. Kiwoong talks about his ex-girlfriend and such things. 

Or maybe someone who knows Korean can retell us? :wub: 

I don't think I've seen a translation for that one.  Pretty much every translation I know of is listed in the first post.  (There aren't many.)  I don't think my Korean is good enough to do it myself.  But if I could, I totally would.

Ah, it's been so quiet in here.  Only a little more than 2 months to go!  I'm still slowly rationing out the few subbed Beating Hearts episodes that I "saved" for this purpose.  So I watched episode 15 a few days ago.  It's the one with the fire hose bowling, when he takes out the camera because no one expected his aim to be quite that good.  :D 

I miss that show.

Plus, I'm finally watching Invincible Lee Pyung Kang....which I don't really have anything to say about yet (only halfway through).  Haha.  At least I finally got to the part where his character even shows up at all.  It's a very odd show. :)  And so strange to think that that was his next role after Kyung Tae.  Why is dramaland so fickle?  Why does no one recognize his brilliance?  I'm kind of retroactively offended on his behalf.  Gah.  ;)

Heo Young Saeng (...) in Pictorial Interview

Heo Young Saeng Refutes SS501 Disbandment Rumors in Pictorial Interview

[...]

Among other subjects, he spoke about his recent time in the army and a little about his long-time group.

“I became friendly with Park Ki Woong after exercising with him and he suggested that we enlist as conscripted policemen together,” Heo Young Saeng says. “But at the last minute I ended up enlisting by myself.” Heo Young Saeng recently completed his service in the Seoul Police Promotional Team.

[...]

So now I wanna enlist in the Korean army lol. What a lucky guy. He became close with uri Kiwoong during what's usually referred to as the hellish manning-up serving time. I thought posts in the army are more like assigned to individuals rather than chosen by them. Seems like there's a pre- enlisting time within the the whole 2 years duration. Ummm dunno. Either ways I'm green with envy.

----------------------------------

Just now, ecs707a said:

Ah, it's been so quiet in here.  Only a little more than 2 months to go!  I'm still slowly rationing out the few subbed Beating Hearts episodes that I "saved" for this purpose.  So I watched episode 15 a few days ago.  It's the one with the fire hose bowling, when he takes out the camera because no one expected his aim to be quite that good.  :D 

Bwhahaha @the evil laugh by the end XD. The Department Ace. I sat the other day meaning to embark on the marathon journey all over again but my newly installed player didn't adjust the subs timing :tears: so I quit til further notice.

Plus, I'm finally watching Invincible Lee Pyung Kang....which I don't really have anything to say about yet (only halfway through).  Haha.  At least I finally got to the part where his character even shows up at all.  It's a very odd show. :)  And so strange to think that that was his next role after Kyung Tae.  Why is dramaland so fickle?  Why does no one recognize his brilliance?  I'm kind of retroactively offended on his behalf.  Gah.  ;)

I hate that show not only because I died of boredom watching it but also because I watched looking for a certain face and what? They reduced him to teenage-ish lover who doesn't even qualify for second lead. The blasphemy!

On ٨‏/١٠‏/٢٠١٥ ٧،٥٧،٢٥, hlg9_stv said:

Hi :)

Just found some new photos of officer Park Ki Woong on instagram: link1 link2

Oh I miss that faaaace. Thank you chingu a lot. I would've loved to help but my Korean is way too basic for a proper translation, miyanai-yo.

Esc-shi What does he do in the army exactly, besides promotional videos :lol:? A conscripted policemen as HYS said he suggested? I remember it was something police-related. Judging by the pic uri Hlg9_stv-shi posted, seems like I remember right.

I don't wanna hate on his agency but had they been any good, they would've gotten him a decent well-tailored lead role by now. Actors who have been in the industry for mere 3-5 years have gotten their chances with ease, why not him? I really can't get it. He's so underrated, it's ridiculous sometimes.

4 hours ago, dr25 said:

I don't wanna hate on his agency but had they been any good, they would've gotten him a decent well-tailored lead role by now. Actors who have been in the industry for mere 3-5 years have gotten their chances with ease, why not him? I really can't get it. He's so underrated, it's ridiculous sometimes.

Fully agree with you. I just can't understand why do they did it to him? Just can't imagine what he'll do after returning. 

But the article about the agency says, that it was his desission for "growth"... So, is everything ok? Anyway I hate tha agency :D

@hlg9_stv I dislike his agency and trust his choices enough to be optimistic about this. I dare say everything is gonna be okay. He's no newbie; most likely he's already considering his options of an alternative. So...yeah good riddance :D I hope TvN will give him his first leading role. He seems to fit their leads qualification. They either choose veterans who came back after a long break or great talents who haven't had their due limelight time before. KW is a bit of both.

Fingers crossed ^_^

1 hour ago, hlg9_stv said:

Fully agree with you. I just can't understand why do they did it to him? Just can't imagine what he'll do after returning. 

But the article about the agency says, that it was his desission for "growth"... So, is everything ok? Anyway I hate tha agency :D

(only one layer of quoting now?  Hmm..)  I can't imagine that it was waveon's idea to just let him go like that.  He was by far their biggest name.  So yeah, I think it was his decision either way.  I feel like waveon was never very good at promoting him.  And I know promotion itself is not everything, but taken together with other things (like the fact that they can't even keep their website updated), it gives a bad impression. Like, how disorganized is the agency in general if they're so bad at all these other things?  Just my impression though.  For now, I'm kind of glad he's done with them.  We'll see if I change my mind when we find out his new agency. 

15 minutes ago, dr25 said:

@hlg9_stv I dislike his agency and trust his choices enough to be optimistic about this. I dare say everything is gonna be okay. He's no newbie; most likely he's already considering his options of an alternative. So...yeah good riddance :D I hope TvN will give him his first leading role. He seems to fit their leads qualification. They either choose veterans who came back after a long break or great talents who haven't had their due limelight time before. KW is a bit of both.

Fingers crossed ^_^

Which is to say, agreed. :)  I suspect he already has or is well on his way to a new contract, but they can't announce it yet.  Some agency wants him, I'm sure.  (The smart ones should, anyway.)

I've also had the thought that a cable drama would be a good place for him to be.  I've given up trying to figure out how the big three networks decide who to cast in leading roles.  Whatever the selection process, I think he's not what they're looking for, sadly (except maaaaybe a weekend or daily, which...case by case basis, definitely, as to whether that would be a good move or not).  The only thing that gives me hope is his relationships with various production staff, and specifically our adorable and beloved director, Yoon Sung Shik.  I'd totally believe that he would cast him yet again if another really good role came up that would suit him well.  But cable dramas have been much better, especially in the past couple of years, at casting really talented people who have been otherwise ignored or slighted by the big networks.  So fingers crossed indeed :)

The other option is movies, although that's not easy either. 

1 hour ago, hlg9_stv said:

And here is the educational promotional video

Haaaa...you found the video!  Why does it amuse me so that the Gaksital clip is from that youtube channel with the cuts of all his dramas? 

On 12/4/2015 at 2:32 PM, dr25 said:

Esc-shi What does he do in the army exactly, besides promotional videos :lol:? A conscripted policemen as HYS said he suggested? I remember it was something police-related. Judging by the pic uri Hlg9_stv-shi posted, seems like I remember right.

Oh yeah, forgot that I was going to say something about this.  Yes, he's a police officer.  They do have some choice in what they do, but there's still an application process (so they might not get to do what they want).  Apparently, it's a pretty competitive process to be a conscripted police officer.   

As to what he actually does, I don't really know for sure either.  I would guess a mixture of "normal" police duties and some public service-type things.  The official updates we get (like these) are all released by the SMPA (the Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency), which is part of the larger National Police Agency.  What I do not know is how many, and even if, conscripted police are still expected to serve as what's essentially riot police.  You can read the section in the NPA wiki article, but I can't figure out how much of that is still in effect.  This article seems to suggest that it's being phased out as an acceptable use of conscripted police.  The things I read when that one round of Sewol protests was going on a few months ago suggested that maybe it was still going on.  I can't find a straight answer, though.  I doubt any of that is part of his duties, but I'm sure that's part of the training.

What with the rash of idols and such enlisting, many of whom are also planning to be conscripted police, I expected more people to start being curious about these things, but I still can't find very much (in English).

Anyway, there is this blog written (in English) by someone who is supposedly currently serving as a conscripted police officer.  Not 100% sure it's legit, but it's interesting reading, either way.

On 12/4/2015 at 2:32 PM, dr25 said:

“I became friendly with Park Ki Woong after exercising with him and he suggested that we enlist as conscripted policemen together,” Heo Young Saeng says. “But at the last minute I ended up enlisting by myself.” Heo Young Saeng recently completed his service in the Seoul Police Promotional Team.

[...]

So now I wanna enlist in the Korean army lol. What a lucky guy. He became close with uri Kiwoong during what's usually referred to as the hellish manning-up serving time.

I assumed that the "exercise" he was referring to was one of the teams he plays on.  Soccer, basketball, something.  I don't think they met in a military context.  I don't know though.

He must have been referring to that October enlistment date that later got delayed.  And that article, taken with this one, is kind of funny, at least in retrospect.  How Heo Young Saeng might be one of the ones that dramabeans joked that waveon was "throwing shade" at.

2012 Arirang interview:

So nostalgic right now :)

I am disproportionately fond of this interview, probably.  I remember watching this when it came out, and this was my moment of realization.  Hahaha.  There is one specific part of this interview when I just was like, "oh no".  :D  The moment when I crossed over from casual interest to, well, whatever I am now.  Not that this was what did it, I think it just made me realize it, lol.  I could just relate a little too much to something he said. :)

So Arirang took this interview down from their youtube channel a few months ago.  It was terrible quality there anyway.  It is still up, and still in terrible quality, on their site.  I eventually found a better version elsewhere.  I don't know why they only had the crappy one on youtube, and I don't know why they then removed it.  So now it's on youtube again, and I hope it stays there, because it's an awesome interview.

...and something tells me that this might be why I love the orange hair era so very much ;)

Anyway...50 days left!   

2 hours ago, hlg9_stv said:

Has anybody seen the news? Link

What do you think about it guys?

Is that...

a7a83S2.gif

...is that...a casting rumor?  :D

It makes me happy that, even if it's just a rumor, his name is out there somewhere.  It's been so long since he's done a drama.  So, regarding this particular rumor, I think it's too early to have an opinion.  I will just take it as a good omen that there will be lots more news soon to come. :) (But if the dramagods see fit to put those two boys in a drama together again, I might just shed tears of joy or something equally melodramatic. Hahaha..)

I am getting so impatient.  Ack.  So I'm still slowly watching Invincible Lee Pyung Kang (sigh).  I rewatched Love Hunt a few days ago (awww).  I made that gif the other day because for whatever reason, I found it highly entertaining.  (Don't judge me.) 

So bring on the casting rumors!  I am so ready.

9 hours ago, ecs707a said:

Is that...

a7a83S2.gif

...is that...a casting rumor?  :D

It makes me happy that, even if it's just a rumor, his name is out there somewhere.  It's been so long since he's done a drama.  So, regarding this particular rumor, I think it's too early to have an opinion.  I will just take it as a good omen that there will be lots more news soon to come. :) (But if the dramagods see fit to put those two boys in a drama together again, I might just shed tears of joy or something equally melodramatic. Hahaha..)

I am getting so impatient.  Ack.  So I'm still slowly watching Invincible Lee Pyung Kang (sigh).  I rewatched Love Hunt a few days ago (awww).  I made that gif the other day because for whatever reason, I found it highly entertaining.  (Don't judge me.) 

So bring on the casting rumors!  I am so ready.

Oh god, I suppose it's not a rumor. That would be the best gift if we'll  see Joowon Park Kiwoong reunion. Only a few time left so we'll see what they deside to do with this invitation ))

haha... I like that gif too) that's so mistrious :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Throwback Thursday!  This is just for fun.

Aaah, such a dork. :D This is almost 10 years old at this point.  Kind of makes me want to watch Art of Fighting again, though.  

Hey, we've only got about a month left!  Next month at this time, we'll have photos of him staggering out into the bright February sun (lol), hopefully accompanied by news of all his awesome comeback projects. :)

Another article about his impending discharge...

Yoon Si-yoon, Park Ki-woong and Lee Min-ki are coming back

2016/01/11

b8zdqcC.jpg

Yoon Si-yoon, Park Ki-woong and Lee Min-ki are coming back.

They are looking forward to the end of the National Duty which they have been doing for the last 21 months.

Park Ki-woong is also coming back. Park Ki-woong signed up to be a conscripted policeman despite the fact that he made it to the Seoul District Police Agency advertisement team.

Park Ki-woong is currently serving at the 2nd task group of the Seoul District Police Agency. He is due to be discharged on the 7th of February or a little later than that according to the Lunar New Year holiday.

He seeks a new agency once he gets out. His contract with Wave On Entertainment ended in October last year. Wave On and Park Ki-woong thought it was best to move on for each others' development.

Park Ki-woong debuted in 2005 with a movie and continued to star in movies such as "Arrow, The Ultimate Weapon", "Bridal Mask" and more.

source: hancinema / original

Another, clearly inspired by the same article:

Which K-Drama Actors Will Leave The Military This Year?

BY Julie Jones | Jan 12, 2016 08:44 AM EST

A few k-drama actors are returning from their military duty this year and they are already planning what they will do in 2016.

In the next few months K-drama fans can look forward to comebacks from Yoon Si Yoon, Park Ki Woong and Lee Min Ki.

Park Ki Woong will be the next actor to be discharged. His discharge date is February 7, although that may be affected by Lunar New Year observations on February 8.

The first thing he will do when he is discharged is to find a new agency as his contract with Wave On Entertainment ended last year. Park Ki Woong played Joo Won's friend-turned-enemy Kimura Shunji in the drama "Bridal Mask." The 29-year-old [sic] actor was Kim Soo Hyun's fellow spy in the film "Secretly Greatly". He enlisted on May 8, 2014 and serve with the Seoul District Police Agency as a conscripted policeman.

source

I wonder what's going on with the agency situation...and what is this "possibly later" than February 7 stuff?  I suppose it comes down to vacation days or something?  I don't get it.

Archived