Park Ki Woong 박기웅

ecs707a

So I said I was rewatching Beating Hearts episodes, right?  I noticed something...that possibly crosses over into the crazy category.  Hahaha.

The scar on his right hand...

sh2_zpsp02qylyx.jpg

That's from this, right?

sh1_zpscqh2abwa.jpg

245 days left...but only a couple more weeks until Made In China!

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, he was there in gigantic poster form, anyway.

kXEhf4C.jpg

And they talked about him.  So that counts, right?

How weird must it be to have a movie come out when you're stuck in the army, and have been for over a year?

It's still Wednesday here, but it's already June 25 in Korea, so yay!  Made In China opens today.  Best of luck to all involved.

I also hope there are more reviews.  I've seen just a few in Korean, but one already from HancinemaThe relevant parts (okay, maybe I'll just put the whole thing.  Upon re-reading, it's mostly about his character anyway):

Chen (played by Park Ki-woong) is a Chinese eel farmer who smuggles himself into South Korea to get his eels tested, in an effort to figure out the transnational reasons behind familial business failures. Incidentally, Chen looks very hot with his shirt off and is surprisingly good at fighting people as long as he's not blindsided. There's just one problem. Try as he might, Chen will forever be marked by the fact that he was "Made In China".

That's the weird thing about international capitalism. Not just products, but actual people are treated as, well, products. Chen's errand in South Korea is a very simple one, but because he's not a rich man with mountains of paperwork it takes quite some time for him to actually resolve the issue with the eels- a process which on the Korean end literally just requires a few minutes to run a lab test. And the big joke on that front is that it turns out the testing process designed to keep men like Chen out of the market rather bizarrely does not keep his products out of the market.

Another layer of absurdity is the fact that Chen can't speak Korean. As one memorable scene demonstrates there are very few words he actually needs to know anyway. But that's just it. The language barrier isn't that big a deal, because Chen knows exactly what he wants. Weirdly enough, it's Mi (played by Han Chae-ah) who typifies the more awkward struggles of modernity, as a metropolitan Korean woman with a bad attitude who takes an arbitrary liking to Chen- even though she can't actually speak Chinese.

But again, verbal communication isn't actually that important. When Chen gets involved with gangsters, the gangsters themselves clearly do not know or care much about the product they're selling- although this revelation takes on obvious ironic undertones given the nativist streak "Made In China" exposes. Frequently it seems like the main thing that baffles Chen is how Korean people can take so little apparent interest in their work and livelihood.

It's a sense of general bewilderment that Park Ki-woong communicates quite effectively. What "Made In China" really demonstrates is that culture shock isn't about abstract nonsense like Confucianism. It's about day-to-day living. And even culture shock's not that big a deal to Chen because he knew from the outset he was coming to a different country. What Chen wasn't expecting was that the people in South Korea would be such blatant hypocrites. And the South Koreans too, are puzzled by Chen's strange brand of sentimentalism.

"Made In China" is a very introspective, very deliberately ironic product that obviously begs for greater analysis. Even though I am neither Korean nor Chinese I found the sheer weird normality in the movie to be fascinating, because it's only from an outsider's view that we can see how weird normality really is. I feel like I should note, for the sake of completion, that "Made In China" reunites the second leads from "Bridal Mask". A strange coincidence to be sure, but that's what this film is full of- odd ironic fates that make sense even if you weren't expecting them.

So a good review!  And I guess we get a bonus reason to want to watch (the "Chen looks hot with his shirt off" comment...lol.  Thanks, William Schwartz).  As if I needed another reason, though...

I really, really hope I get to see this at some point.  Patience is not my strong suit.  Someone just put me out of my misery already. :) (Or just let me watch it already, either way.)

Wow. Been away from Soompi for too long lol.

Made in China looks promising though~ Really wanna watch it -- hopefully don't have to wait too long xP

And how much longer until he's back and acting again? It feels like he's been gone for too long haha 

P.S. thanks again for all the updates^^

Wow. Been away from Soompi for too long lol.

Made in China looks promising though~ Really wanna watch it -- hopefully don't have to wait too long xP

And how much longer until he's back and acting again? It feels like he's been gone for too long haha 

P.S. thanks again for all the updates^^

225 days!  (Not that I'm counting or anything....haha)  So, February.  Only 7 months and a bit more.  And nice to see you again, @minnieXD. :)

Bonus smiling Kyung Tae:

ng2_zpssnwe3hx9.jpg

ng4_zpsmbur2mij.jpg

ng5_zpsijzlt7dl.jpg

Story time!  So...on that day I first read the Hancinema review for Made In China, I clicked through to his profile for no real reason, but when I looked at his filmography, there was something that I've never seen attributed to him before (No Regret).  Hmm.  So of course I just decide to watch it with no further info (other than that I thought I might like it anyway from the synopsis).  :) And...it turns out that he's not actually in it.  He did film some scenes for it, but was totally edited out.  There's a little bit about it and some photos here and here.  And he's in the credits:

nr%20pkw%20credits_zpso9h70xxw.jpg

(I do assume I'm translating his role correctly?  Gay employee or something like that?  It seems like he worked with or for Kim Nam Gil's character.  I wonder how his part would have connected with the rest of the story, but I guess I'll never find out.)

So in conclusion: Hancinema, I don't think that counts.  It was an okay movie though.  I don't regret watching it (har har).

And then last night I stumbled upon the first tiny bit of Ghost Story that I'd ever seen.  I'd only seen photos before, and was almost convinced that it had vanished into the ether (which may have been for the best anyway?).

credit: acedeuceENT

Aw, he's such a baby!  10 years ago, right?

ghost%20story%20pkw1_zpsmd0pyjw1.jpg

The only movie stills I'd seen before were these (with the same creepy old guy in the background):

2005051008584147332_1_zpsqubc3ozy.jpg

2005050221093980741_2_zpsnrsopy0z.jpg

which were from this article, dated May 2, 2005 (but the photos aren't there anymore).  It turns out that it is actually still available on DVD if I had known what I was looking for.  I doubt I'll be buying it, but it does exist!

So here endeth the post of ancient movies.  Here's hoping that there will be a new movie to discuss soon. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Nicer quality version of the original poster for Made In China:

x6J0laq.jpg

source

I had to find the old version I posted because I remember feeling like there was never going to be a real poster, and not just a scan of a version of a poster.  That was over 7 months ago, and here it is, finally.  :) Although I guess we've had a couple of other posters in the meantime.

So here endeth the post of ancient movies.  Here's hoping that there will be a new movie to discuss soon.

:)

Thank you movie gods for answering my prayers!  If I had known that all I had to do was ask...haha.

So...I think I'm in trouble.  I have nothing new to look forward to now.  I realize that this problem is definitely my own fault.  (But really, how could I resist?)  So completely worth it, though.

I don't think I can really comment in detail on the movie as a whole yet, but I do think that Chen was a fantastic character choice for him.  Chen is totally unlike any character he's played before, and he pulled it off really well.  So proud. *sniffle*

I think it'll be really interesting to see what he chooses when he gets back. 

• 5 weeks later...

Aww, it's so quiet in here. 

I feel like I should put all these in one place.  And what better place?  :D

E04-7_zps62096c18.jpg~original

E05-2_zps968938c4.jpg~original

E06-5_zps94c4nowp.jpg~original

E07-1_zps6780d545.jpg~original

E10-2_zps4e74ffbf.jpg~original

11%2012%20spell_zpst6tvusf0.jpg~original

E13-4_zpswzjqffwg.jpg~original

E18-1_zpswcn90wbf.jpg~original

E19-2_zpsvapr2bpc.jpg~original

There are more than I thought.  And reading them, I hear Kyung Tae's voice in my head. :)

Less than 6 months to go!

Wow.. there's a thread for park ki woong! I'm a fan of him since 2011.. I didn't know there's a forum specially for him since there's always lack of news about him on allkpop, netizenbuzz and onehallyu.. Anyway, can't wait for him to return.. Already watched I Saw You (Mad Sad Bad) Made In China and Swine Escape.. 

Park Ki Woong hwaiting..

Love..

Wow.. there's a thread for park ki woong! I'm a fan of him since 2011.. I didn't know there's a forum specially for him since there's always lack of news about him on allkpop, netizenbuzz and onehallyu.. Anyway, can't wait for him to return.. Already watched I Saw You (Mad Sad Bad) Made In China and Swine Escape.. 

Park Ki Woong hwaiting..

Love..

Hi @janice930201!  Welcome.  I feel your pain, haha.  While I haven't technically run out of things of his to watch (still have a couple of old things that I've never seen), I'm so ready for something new.  I think he does a good job of choosing characters and projects, so I'm excited to see what's next.

Not much of what little news there is gets translated, that's for sure. Maybe he doesn't have a huge international, English-speaking fanbase, but there are some of us. Feel free to join us here and post whatever about him. :)

Speaking of non-news, there was another article the other day talking about his military service with a several-months-old photo. 

OCvgqKb.jpg

They got the photo from here, and there are a couple of others from the same day, I think, here and here.  From something in May.  Maybe that same thing that I posted the photo from before?  Not sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Just so all three Made in China posters are on one page...

KR760mH.jpg

here's a bigger version of the Japanese version of the poster/also the cover for the Japanese DVD release (which came out a couple of days ago, if anyone was waiting for that specific release).

I was so adamant that I wasn't going to post countdowns all the time, but every time I post in here, I think about it again, haha.  It's getting close to 150 days.  So only about 5 months left!

• 2 weeks later...

They're putting his acting skills to work, I see :)

eAvAuyp.jpg

From the SMPA blog

I wonder how many educational/promotional/whatever videos he's in by now, lol.  This was apparently some sort of career day thing for high school students, from back in June.  And they showed them this?  I'd want to be a police officer too. :)

Hi everyone ^^

I`m so happy to discover this page dedicated to my the most favourite Korean actor Park Ki-woong :)

I want to shere with you guys something

Here you can download the new movie "Made in China" and even OST from the movie. http://tieba.baidu.com/p/3886368363

http://pan.baidu.com/s/1sj1aKZb

http://pan.baidu.com/s/1nt46Hh3

Does anyone know when english subs will be available?

Hi everyone ^^

I`m so happy to discover this page dedicated to my the most favourite Korean actor Park Ki-woong :)

Does anyone know when english subs will be available?

Hi @hlg9_stv!  Welcome to the thread! 

I don't know about subtitles either.  I've been keeping an eye on DVD releases, since I think that's probably the most likely way to get them.  So far, there's only a Japan version, and it's only got Japanese subs, so that's not much help, for me at least.  Hoping for a Korean release, or a US release although I know that's unlikely.  Either option would be likely to have English subs, and either one would please me greatly. :)

It feels kind of silly to buy a DVD just for the subtitles, essentially, but I've done it before.  Maybe there will be some special features too.

I saw this the other day and thought it was entertaining:

20150915_1442306261_56411700_1_zpsctg6mm

Source: tvreport

He's all alone in Andong, lol.  I didn't realize how few celebrities are from that region.  (Well, okay, I guess we're just looking at the boys for the purposes of this map, but still.)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi :)

Just found some new photos of officer Park Ki Woong on instagram: link1 link2

I am so thankful for instagram!  Seriously.  At least we know he's still alive!  I am so thankful that they let him out every so often, thankful that he's so willing to take photos with people, and thankful that those people then let us stalk him. :D

Today marks two years since this:

a5fZMj8.jpg

And also two years since this:

G07OGH7.jpg

Archived