Park Ki Woong 박기웅

ecs707a

7 hours ago, ecs707a said:

Another article about how he's getting out today, still says the same things as far as I can tell: he's going to spend time with his family for the holiday and then get working on Monster.

A couple of articles based on this one...one from koreaboo:

Actor Park Ki Woong set to be released from the military on the 7th

Posted on February 6, 2016

Actor Park Ki Woong will return to the civilian world soon as he is set to be released from the military today after 21 months of service.

On February 7th, the actor will be released from a military base in Ui-dong, Gangbuk-gu, Seoul.

According to officials from his agency Haewadal Entertainment, Park Ki Woong will hold a brief Q&A session with the reporters and meet his fans awaiting him. Afterwards, he will be returning home to his family where he will spend time with them over the Lunar Year holidays before returning to work.

Even prior to his release, Park Ki Woong’s first drama comeback project has been confirmed for MBC‘s upcoming Monster series in March.

Park Ki Woong enlisted on May 8, 2014. Monster will be his first drama appearance since 2013 with MBC’s Drama Festival – Swine Escape, two years and six months ago.

And from soompi news:

Park Ki Woong Discharged From Military Today

jun2yng February 6, 2016

Actor Park Ki Woong is finally back, after wrapping up 21 months of military service.

His discharge ceremony was held on the morning of February 7. According to Park Ki Woong’s agency Haewadal Entertainment, the actor made a statement and held a brief question and answer session for fans and press before he returned to his family.

Following a short reprieve with his family over the Lunar New Year holiday, Park Ki Woong will be returning to work right away with the upcoming MBC Monday-Tuesday drama “Monster,” which will be his first drama in two years and six months.

A source stated, “Park Ki Woong’s passion for his work is really something. He wasted no time in getting to know the new character he is to play for his next drama. He’s really working to show more maturity with his new comeback.”

Meanwhile, “Monster” is a drama about a man’s revenge against a powerful organization who stole his life and family. Actors confirmed for the drama include Kang Ji Hwan, Sung Yuri, BEAST‘s Lee Ki Kwang, and more.

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Park Ki Woong on His Most Difficult Experience in the Military

ehk38 February 6, 2016

Actor Park Ki Woong has officially completed his military service and returned to the open arms of fans.

Domestic fans and even fans from China and Japan attended the actor’s official discharge ceremony on February 7.

Park Ki Woong expressed his gratitude for his fans’ support and reflected on his time in the military.

“I enlisted on Parents’ Day and ended up getting discharged on [Lunar] New Year’s,” he notes. “Thank you for not forgetting me and coming.”

“I really wanted to act,” he continues. “That’s why I quickly selected my next project. I am preparing hard for it.”

Park Ki Woong also shared the most difficult experience he had during the past one year and seven months: shoveling snow. “I didn’t think I’d have to shovel snow because I was in the police unit, but I had a very difficult time clearing it,” he says. “Our base was in Seoul, but we were in a location 300 meters above sea level, so a lot of snow fell.”

Meanwhile, Park Ki Woong has confirmed that MBC drama “Monster” will be his first project post-discharge. The drama is slated to air this coming March following the conclusion of “Glamorous Temptation.”

Source: orig / soompi

Edit:

I uploaded these yesterday and somehow missed posting them here, so...

WpMOh09.jpg
HhvC3Qq.jpg
sources: starnews; TV Report

You guys.  I'm going to try to be coherent now.  I think I can, maybe, now that I've had some time. :)

All those articles with the "I wanted to act" stuff...they were kind of breaking my heart.  But it's okay.  He's back, and now he can. 

In a lot of ways, Monster seems to be a really good fit.  He was ready to get back to acting, clearly, and here's a project that lets him, right away.  There's a child/younger character part, which may or may not give him a little breathing room at the beginning; I don't know.  Seems possible, though.  And at 50 episodes, he'll have time to get himself back into it and get used to everything again.  It's been since, what...Made In China would have been his last project of any sort (acting-wise).  That wasn't long before he left.  It's been about forever since he did a drama though.  (Or it feels like it, lol.)  Swine Escape was October 2013, and I wouldn't even really count that.  Dramas with all the live shooting insanity are really just their own thing, and a single episode can't really replicate that experience.  So September 2012 until now...3 years and 5 months. 

I know he said he passed on some dramas while doing Beating Hearts, and I still think that was absolutely a fair trade.  I loved that show, and I think he loved doing it.  But I am so ready for him to be in a drama again.

Was that mostly coherent?  Ha.  I really tried.  I have spent way too much time in the past day just staring at those photos in disbelief.  And relief.  So I have (yet another) profile photo, because that one stopped me dead in my tracks when it came out. 

Anyway, what does everyone else think about drama news?  Who else had a mini-meltdown when that first photo came out? BTW, thanks @hlg9_stv for spazzing with me!  And I see we had visitors, lol.  I won't call you guys out, but if you come back and see this, I appreciate it.  @dr25, where are youuuuu?  Haha.  I feel like you're biding your time.  I'll continue to wait patiently for your next epic post. :D

Ok, i am the silence visitor. and i'm sure that another silence visitor is Park ki woong himself.

i know because he and i had the same personal habits. we like to stay in silence and secretly read about how his fans express love to him.

and because kiwoong himself may never come out and say "i'm reading with a smile on my face." so, i must be the one who come out and say "we're reading with a smile on our face." ^ ^

Thanks to ecs707a for keep this thread alive through all these years. kiwoong will very appreciated it. <3

because of the time in South Korea is 2 hours ahead of my country. so when i woke up in the morning he was already discharged. i feel like he's come back to me with all the love of angels and the spirit of my beloved grandpa and grandma. as if they led him back to me. ...on the Lunar New Year. Haha so it made me smile and not cry when i saw the pictures of him surrounded by the love from fans.

@ecs707a Always thank you for your posts! You know, Park Ki Woong is my the most favourite. So it always makes me feel happy seeing something new here) I'm so glad to joining this thread.
I think you know about my feels first seeing new pictures. It was not a mini, but the biggest meltdown ever, lol. It was also hard, because I was waiting for them all night and could't sleep. ^^" 
Totally excited about a new drama. I suppose it'll become a great hit and a great succes for our Park Ki Woong. He really deserves it. 
Anyway, he's now ready for work and he looks absolutely adorable. Let's support this new project I think it would be something. :)

Guys, happy Lunar New Year!  :)

Awww, group hug!  Haha.

8 hours ago, Alicei said:

Ok, i am the silence visitor. and i'm sure that another silence visitor is Park ki woong himself.

i know because he and i had the same personal habits. we like to stay in silence and secretly read about how his fans express love to him.

and because kiwoong himself may never come out and say "i'm reading with a smile on my face." so, i must be the one who come out and say "we're reading with a smile on our face." ^ ^

Aw, you aren't a visitor!  Whether you post or not, you're one of us.  I was actually joking about some other visitors who I know from elsewhere in soompi-land who dropped by.

Thanks for emerging from your silent reading, even if it's just for a while.  :)

Thanks to ecs707a for keep this thread alive through all these years.

This is not just me, though!  This thread existed way before I was around here.  But I'm happy to be the current keeper of the thread.

because of the time in South Korea is 2 hours ahead of my country. so when i woke up in the morning he was already discharged.

7 hours ago, hlg9_stv said:

It was also hard, because I was waiting for them all night and could't sleep. 

This may be the one and only time that my giant time difference from Korea was to my advantage!  (Woo!  Gotta take my victories where I can get them.)  Morning in Korea is evening here, so it was really convenient for me, haha.  I was just super-antsy all day, and checking daum and naver and everywhere way earlier than I needed to.  So yes, I spent my Saturday night doing that.  I don't regret it. :D

7 hours ago, hlg9_stv said:

You know, Park Ki Woong invited all the fans, who showed up to welcome him on cold winter morning, to join him for breakfast. Doesn't he a wonderful person? I'm so proud of him *o*

Just found some pictures on Instagram ^^ link1 link2

Oh yeah, I saw some of those from a Japanese fan.  I see you found the ones from the Chinese fans, lol.  You can look at the others on her blog here, and she also posted some of the dormitory too if anyone's interested in seeing what that's like.  I hadn't put two and two together, but that makes sense that he met up with them after. 

More (pretty sure these are from a Korean fan)...

Blargh.  Okay, am finally fixing and checking and generally making sure that the stuff in the first post is what and where it's supposed to be, with functioning links...aaack.

Quoting this because it used to have a tweet translation but the forum move seems to have eaten it.  I happen to have the old comment saved, so I'm going to repost it.  Maybe I'll continue to add some other random eaten things to this post too, so don't mind me.  I'll just be making another mess while trying to clean up the first one, lol.  It's just so I can fix the links.

Twitter translation, April 2014:

On 4/7/2014 at 7:04 AM, na71 said:
ecs707a

said:  And then there was a little Q

Full/original version - translation credit to @na71

ecs707a said:

And then there was a little Q&A/answer yes or no-type thing at the end. 

Finally I had time to watch it and I found a link... I wrote the X or O questions and I'll try to translate in my free time and post the translation here... It wasn't too difficult but Korean->Spanish->English.... I need my time ㅋㅋㅋ

And a twitter update:

어젯밤이야. 하루종일 사진 엄청 많이 찍었어. 예쁜 사진들 나올테니 기다려줘요^ ^

Yesterday at night. All day (morning to night) taking a lot (more than a lot) of photos. Because beautiful photos will be out soon (I hope so), please wait.

In brackets the nuance, korean grammar is special hehe.

From April 2, 2014, accompanied by this photo

SnUZttS.jpg

SimSimTaPa excerpt translation (September 24, 2013):

From post:

On 9/21/2014 at 9:35 AM, na71 said:

ecs707a

said: Oh dear lord.  I just finally watched all the way to the end of that naver video.  I'd never seen that one before.  There should be a warning label: "May cause death by cuteness overload".  What was that freakout about?  Hahaha.  Thanks for finding that, @na71.

Now, where is the full video?  Now I want that too.  Hmph.

Full/original version - translation credit to @na71

September 2014 edited September 2014

ecs707a said:

Oh dear lord.  I just finally watched all the way to the end of that naver video.  I'd never seen that one before.  There should be a warning label: "May cause death by cuteness overload".  What was that freakout about?  Hahaha.  Thanks for finding that, @na71.

Now, where is the full video?  Now I want that too.  Hmph.

He felt so embarrassed after reading the script.

The script was something like:

Girl: There is a famous ramyeon shop there, Ki Woong Oppa. let's go together to eat ramyun

Ki Woong: Me? why I should?

Gilr: just forget it, I will go alone.

Kiwoong: Oh I forgot that I need to do something near that neighborhood (ramyeon shop neighborhood), se let's go together. But I'm not going for you, ok?

bla bla bla

Girl: I'm afraid, KiWoong Oppa, sing for me

Ki Woong: Me? why I should?

Girl: This is singing: " Me? why I should?", Can't you just sing for me? Ok, then I'll sing

KW: I'll sing but Is not for you (and sings.... *__* <3 ) It this enough?

G: Ki Woong Oppa, if I don't say this I think I'll regret, I like you, really, really. How about you?

KW: Oh, the shop is here!

G: What are you saying?!

KW: We should eat ramyeon?

G: what are you talking about?

KW: We should eat ramyeon while hold hands (hand in hand)?

G: How can we eat ramyeon while hold hands?

KW: After eating ramyeon hand in hand shoul we peck (on the lips)?

G: eh? no... how can you say that...? if we eat ramyon there will be breath odor...

KW: so... Should we hold hands, then kiss (peck (on the lips)) and then eat ramyon?

G: Ai! stop it

KW: I don't want to stop! we hold hands, then kiss (peck (on the lips)) and then eat ramyon... (sighs) Do you want to date me?

-End-

3-Solo-Shunji-White-Credit_zps0ysteqgu.g

This is what I think about the drama/ dischage news.

I love how gifs are put on repeat by default cuz, really, successive.. aggressive screaming with laughter at the back of my head is more accurate.

Another way to put it would be...

Spoiler

Shunji-not-alone-LOL_zpstfja59mt.gif

I had to call comrade Hae rang to laugh with me :D

17 hours ago, hlg9_stv said:

I think you know about my feels first seeing new pictures. It was not a mini, but the biggest meltdown ever, lol. It was also hard, because I was waiting for them all night and could't sleep. ^^" 
Totally excited about a new drama. I suppose it'll become a great hit and a great succes for our Park Ki Woong. He really deserves it. 
Anyway, he's now ready for work and he looks absolutely adorable. Let's support this new project I think it would be something. :)

Guys, happy Lunar New Year!  :)

Happy Lunar New Year dear! :) I too am hoping for it to be a hit. Not the usual type of hits tho since the only support I can think of then would be travelling to Korea, tuning everyone's TVs in to MBC XD Can't do that sadly. I don't even wanna think about the elements of 'hit' dramas for I have no idea what makes one in Korea. It's more like gambling; sometimes star power helps lifting up below average scripts, sometimes they don't. Plus, many good stories went unnoticed due to thier 'not-hit' status. So I'd hope for it to be a hit for me, my heart, and I. lol I know the elements to that. I don't wanna feel like I'm forcing myself to watch it just cuz I have an "oppa" in it. I hope I'll like it wholeheartedly.

Side note: I wish I could have breakfast with him too T_T

On 2/8/2016 at 9:09 AM, ecs707a said:

You guys.  I'm going to try to be coherent now.  I think I can, maybe, now that I've had some time. :)

All those articles with the "I wanted to act" stuff...they were kind of breaking my heart.  But it's okay.  He's back, and now he can. 

In a lot of ways, Monster seems to be a really good fit.  He was ready to get back to acting, clearly, and here's a project that lets him, right away.  There's a child/younger character part, which may or may not give him a little breathing room at the beginning; I don't know.  Seems possible, though.  And at 50 episodes, he'll have time to get himself back into it and get used to everything again.  It's been since, what...Made In China would have been his last project of any sort (acting-wise).  That wasn't long before he left.  It's been about forever since he did a drama though.  (Or it feels like it, lol.)  Swine Escape was October 2013, and I wouldn't even really count that.  Dramas with all the live shooting insanity are really just their own thing, and a single episode can't really replicate that experience.  So September 2012 until now...3 years and 5 months. 

I know he said he passed on some dramas while doing Beating Hearts, and I still think that was absolutely a fair trade.  I loved that show, and I think he loved doing it.  But I am so ready for him to be in a drama again.

Was that mostly coherent?  Ha.  I really tried.  I have spent way too much time in the past day just staring at those photos in disbelief.  And relief.  So I have (yet another) profile photo, because that one stopped me dead in my tracks when it came out. 

Anyway, what does everyone else think about drama news?  Who else had a mini-meltdown when that first photo came out? [...]  @dr25, where are youuuuu?  Haha.  I feel like you're biding your time.  I'll continue to wait patiently for your next epic post. :D

Well, indeed it has been ages since he last graced us with his 'dramatic' weekly presence. My initial reaction was that this upcoming role will be a mix of Shunji and (his character in Chunno). The former due to the "good person (turned) bad" image most casting articles reported. The latter for the ruthless Chaebol part. I've always thought of modren day Chaebols as being the old times Yangban equivalents. Never seen his character in the Musical so I can't imagine how a mixter of Shuji and Yoojin woud be. I am super exited for the role still. Seems like his charcter has its own revenge against its people. So double the revenge? yummy. Bromance in revenge? Hero will aim at our Shunji first then realize Shunji too was a victim to a common enemy? Yeah I'm theorizing already, which means I like it enough to do so LOL. I usually cheat with long dramas. Maybe I'll read recaps for the childhood portion and start watching the show only when he comes up? :P

Monday was my birthday, couldn't ask for a more perfect BD present! :heart: It wasn't a meltdown for me as it was disbelief. Two years have passed already?! Solma!!

Beating Heart was a fair trade whether we let our hearts do the math or our brains. He was doing real good to people and prepping for the army at the same time. I thought of using the scene where he cried in Beating Hearts as my reaction gif to his discharge but it was so sincere using it for a laugh felt disrespectfull in a way. Bless that man!

Thank you both for your contributions.

Welcome @Alicei nice to meet you :lol: I heard Kiwoong-ii speaks decent enough english so maybe he did visit the thread *fingers crossed* XD

13 hours ago, dr25 said:

This is what I think about the drama/ dischage news.

Ooooh, that is a fabulous loop!  I'll laugh maniacally with you.  Bwahahahaha...

13 hours ago, dr25 said:

I too am hoping for it to be a hit. Not the usual type of hits tho since the only support I can think of then would be travelling to Korea, tuning everyone's TVs in to MBC XD Can't do that sadly. I don't even wanna think about the elements of 'hit' dramas for I have no idea what makes one in Korea. It's more like gambling; sometimes star power helps lifting up below average scripts, sometimes they don't. Plus, many good stories went unnoticed due to thier 'not-hit' status. So I'd hope for it to be a hit for me, my heart, and I. lol I know the elements to that. I don't wanna feel like I'm forcing myself to watch it just cuz I have an "oppa" in it. I hope I'll like it wholeheartedly.

I just want his character to be worthy of him.  I really want to love it as a drama too, though.  There's nothing I can do about ratings, so I'll just hope they're at least respectable because I want them all to be happy to be creating something (50 episodes long....) that people are enjoying. 

Is that too much to ask?  Maybe.  But I want it.

Also, reading through old posts reminded me... @minnieXD!  You must be super-excited about Monster, if your signature is still valid, lol.  I will hope extra hard for your sake that Monster is really, really good.

14 hours ago, dr25 said:

My initial reaction was that this upcoming role will be a mix of Shunji and (his character in Chunno). The former due to the "good person (turned) bad" image most casting articles reported. The latter for the ruthless Chaebol part.

Yeah, I can see that.  With the calm outer aspect, hiding all the sneaky and manipulative things going on.  Actually, that's kind of both Shunji and...I don't remember his character's name in Chuno either, haha.  I even just watched it a few months ago.  But either way, he is going to be good at this.  Yet it's far enough from past characters that I'm not too worried about typecasting.

Also, you haven't seen The Musical??  I'm surprised you resisted during this whole dry spell.  It's really not that bad!  Ha.  Actually, his character is probably the best thing about the show, but the show itself I honestly thought was okay anyway.  Not great, but more watchable than, say, Invincible Lee Pyung Kang.  Which I still haven't finished.  I stopped on episode 14, I think.  I'm so close...but it's so boring.  :)  Yoo Jin has the whole smooth and well-dressed, perfectly in control rich kid thing going on, and he nails it, so that's where my brain keeps going when I think of that type for him.   Aw, I luff him.  Yoo Jin's a good character.

14 hours ago, dr25 said:

Monday was my birthday, couldn't ask for a more perfect BD present!

Happy birthday!

hwb7xrN.jpg

Speaking of which...it's already February 13th in Korea, so happy birthday to our favorite actor/kitten-rescuer/prankster/insert your favorite thing about him here, lol.  Hope he's had a great vacation with his family, and that his birthday is the best one ever.

Shouldn't be too long before we start to see new bts photos and things, right?  But we'll just have to make do with old ones for now.

From 10asia, May 2009, from the Story of a Man set (how have these not been posted somewhere in this thread before?  I could only find one of them here...):

10asia20090507-1_zpskukubynl.jpg~origina
10asia20090507-3_zpsck9vv8km.jpg~origina
10asia20090507-5_zpsuyrqb0dh.jpg~origina

This one was already posted, but I love it, so I don't care.  :D

Spoiler

10asia20090507-2_zpstkeg39ym.jpg~origina

And this one we should have repurposed during our countdown, haha
20090507114409_003033_zpstqhiai84.jpg

There are lots more of these, but I'm sure we've all seen them all (right?).  Anyway, can't wait to see what his new character is going to look like. :)

I was wondering why none of the entertainment shows had covered his discharge.  Maybe they just got delayed because of the holiday.  So here's his clip from Entertainment Weekly (so yay!  subbed version coming soon):

https://youtu.be/VWrYzjiOU3I

credit: KBSEntertain

(okay, or it's not embeddable?  Oh well.)

Edit:

That video reminds me...that part about AOA and Fiestar (sp?  I so do not follow kpop) and all the articles about it...I kept thinking about that box of girl group photos from his Busan firefighter buddy on his last episode of Beating Hearts, haha.  Wonder what became of the box. :D

15 minutes ago, hlg9_stv said:

@ecs707a Thank you for  video! Waiting for English translation. Especially for the part with girls groups :D He is so shy.)

There are also 2 videos from his discharge on OBS TV: part 1 ; part 2

Gah!  I saw those yesterday and they wouldn't load for me no matter what I did.  Turned off ad block, tried a different browser...it was ridiculous.  But now they work!  Yay.  Thanks for the links.

Aaaahhhh!  Finally.  He posted something to his brand new shiny instagram.

Translation: Instagram start! 

Haha.  Cute.

Edit: and also, this is from the day of his discharge (same clothes).  So now we have a photo straight from the source to go with all the others :)

Monster script reading! 

KkxDA6q.png
source

So good to see him back in action!  Still with the hats though. :)

Oh I am tooooo excited about this.  Ha.

Edit:
"Monster - 2016" script reading, Kang Ji-hwan and Seong Yoo-ri
2016/02/18

Stills from the "Monster - 2016" script reading have been released.

Along with director Joo Seong-woo, writers Jang Yeong-cheol and Jeong Kyeong-seon, actors and actresses Kang Ji-hwan, Seong Yoo-ri, Park Ki-woong, Jeong Bo-seok, Bae Jong-ok, Jeong Woong-in, Lee Deok-hwa, Park Yeong-gyoo, Kim Bo-yeon, Seong Ji-roo, Gi-kwang, Lee Yeol-eum, Lee El, Kim Hye-eun and Jin Tae-hyeon have been captured in these stills.

Joo Seong-woo started the session with a few words, "I believe the writers and the cast will do their best and so will I. Let's do our best for the next 50 episodes".

Park Ki-woong who is appearing in a drama for the first time since his discharge from the army, blended in with his role of the bad-tempered Do Gun-woo.

The casts of the drama showed excellent teamwork from the very beginning and made the production crew proud.

Meanwhile, "Monster - 2016" is a beautiful love story of a man whose life is taken away from him by a great scheme and strives for revenge. The first episode can be seen on the 28th of March at 10PM.

source: original / hancinema

Lol, okay.  I have tried and failed to understand this.  But it made for some entertaining googling, that's for sure.

Still with the hat...and is talking about his hair!  What I do get: #on the way to work #two hours ago

And then what I don't quite get, but sort of do, haha.  Something about long hair and hair extensions (!).  I assume he's joking, but who knows.

Anyway!  Am I the only one who's been staring at the script reading photo all day?  :)  I don't care if he wears a hat forever.  Just as long as I know he'll be acting again soon.

Archived