I'm missing this drama. it's the first weekend without this drama. i had been trying to stay away from discussion threads but allow me to share my thoughts. i must say that the drama is worth de-lurking and after this, i foresee some drought waiting for the next light, feel good drama.
What I liked –
- Cast – Lee Jong Suk, Lee Na Young. I’ve watched several of their movies/dramas in the past. I’ve enjoyed their works and the variety of roles they portrayed.
- Set design – Publishing company. I liked the hallway flanked by rows of bookshelves on each side.
- Music – makes you tip toe through the tulips, happy vibe.
- Drama veered away from makjang. No amnesia, no truck of doom, no chasing after each other, no third party to make life difficult for OTP. i liked how the writer didn't dwell into the backstory of writer kang. still remained relevant to the story but was not the focal point. kudos to the writer. i'll watch out for your future projects.
- No push and pull. Characters upfront and speak out their minds. No ever winding chasing, guy goes after girl, girl goes after guy, guy and girl are apart for most of the drama. we have seen how eun ho and dani spend a good amount of time together, sharing mundane activities together, eun-ho being upfront with his feelings and patiently waiting for dani to reciprocate, dani being realistic and not dragging eun-ho along (as well as seo jun), cute interaction between hae rin and seo jun bicker and witness how their professional interaction slowly transitioned into a possible romance, delineation of work and friendship between ms go and ceo - i like how they say, here's what i will say as a friend, ji yul and park hoon colleagues from the same start group sharing experiences as they grow professionally within the publishing company
- Just the right mix of romance, comedy and drama
- Slice of life, realistic, relatable
- Puppy love with a hopelessly romantic guy
- Strong women characters
- Ms Go – no nonsense character. i actually like her. she is one person you would like to work for as she upholds high standards. one must be on their toes working for her. team members who become successful later in their careers will appreciate her.
- Eun Ho – sweet boyfriend so smitten with Dani but still keeps his objectivity and doesn't favor dani. one reason why companies don't allow dating at work is because it may put the supervisor or lead in a situation where interests are in conflict
- Dani – strong go getter, definitely not a damsel in distress. the drama presented her miserable life in the beginning but she was able to pick up and do something to get her out of it
- Hae Rin – another strong woman character, driven, on top of things, fair, upfront, compassionate
- Ji-hyul and Park Hoon - Korean 'Bonnie and Clyde’ – partners in crime. good comic relief with a totally dysfunctional ‘relationship’
- Chemistry of cast members
- Geum Bi
- The tailored coats used by the cast members. Gyeroo must be paying their employees well to afford those trench coats
1. Casted with tall actors – Lee Jong Suk – 6’0’; Lee Na Young – 5’8’; Jung Yoo Jin - 5’9”; Wi Ha Joon – 5’11”; Kim Yoo Mi – 5’7”; Kim Tae Woo – 6’3”
2. Gyeroo dating policy. Eun Ho and Dani, Ms Go and Mr President, Ji Hyul and …, Hae Rin and Seo. Title should be Books is a bonus romance … i.e. working in Gyeroo opens opportunities for potential romance ;-)
3. Typical Korean office culture – asking an assistant to do things for you even personal errands
4. Typical of Korean dramas where everyone is connected to each other. What are the chances that Dani bumps into Seo who happens to be the son of Kang Byeong Hun who is ‘father’ to Eun Ho who is Dani’s childhood friend …
1. Lee Na Young is the wife of Won Bin
2. Ms Go is the wife of Reply 1994 lead actor
3. 2nd time Lee Jong Suk and Hae Rin to work in a drama. The first was W.
I hope you all enjoyed as much as I did. Till then.