Quantcast

January 2, 2019

Kakao M names new CEO, adds Lee Byung-hun, Gong Yoo under management

By Park Chang-young and Choi Mira Pulse News

Gong Yoo and Lee Byung-hun

Kakao M, an entertainment unit of South Korea’s top mobile messenger operator Kakao Corp., appointed Kim Sung-soo, former chief of the nation’s leading entertainment firm CJ ENM Co. as its new CEO and acquired multiple agencies managing top stars like Lee Byung-hun and Gong Yoo. 

The company announced on Wednesday that it completed appointment of Kim as its new head during a shareholders’ meeting. He has been credited for taking the nation’s content industry to the next level by spearheading many broadcasting firms including Toonivers from 1995, Onmedia from 2001 and CJ ENM from 2011. 

Kim Sung-soo
Kim Sung-soo

“I will work hard to raise competitiveness of Kakao M as a global content leader by establishing new business portfolios that will strengthen its music and video contents and boost growth potential,” he said. 

On the same day, the company completed acquisitions of BH Entertainment that manages actor Lee Byung-hun, J,Wide Company of actor Kim Tae-ri, Soop Entertainment representing actor Gong Yoo and Ready Entertainment, top caster of advertising models. With the additions, the number of celebrities under management of Kakao M has increased to more than 100. It said it took over the firms to produce original dramas featuring hallyu stars like Lee, Kim and Gong. 

Kakao M aims to become a leading distributor of Korean contents by strengthening its contents business. It also plans to produce high quality short-form contents for mobile distribution.

• Like 5

Thanks to the sharing on twitter by 날개‏ @AlatusDeus

Deleted bookstore scene from THE AGE OF SHADOWS feat. Gong Yoo & Lee Byung Hun.

• Like 5

@rubie thank u for sharing this deleted scene & i wish GY 'll act with LBH in any movie :)

please can u tell me  what's the importance of Kakoa m acquires Soop management & BH entertainment cuz i can't understand

• Like 4

On 1/3/2019 at 1:31 AM, Noor90 said:

please can u tell me  what's the importance of Kakoa m acquires Soop management & BH entertainment cuz i can't understand

Hi @Noor90.. truthfully I have no idea on what's the importance except that I think it will be something positive for the agencies related to the movie industry and television entertainment.

Anyway, I asked a Korean fan about this since they're more familiar with Kakao and there're more Korean articles published regarding the situation. In short.. Kakao M comprises of Kakao + Daum + Melon.. Melon in particular is very successful & profitable in the music industry by having involved in all aspect of the business. Now the company is trying to simulate in movie-drama business the same way. Public is wondering whether they would acquire a channel next. Presumably it would utilize Hallyu actors/actresses in their big projects if they wish. They'd also create contents and sell them through their platform. 

As fans, we definitely hope it'll be a win-win situation between Kakao M and the actors' agencies in the long run. They would need to have some kind of agreement & contract drawn up between them in order to effectively work together and positively benefit each other.

• Like 3

@rubie thank u for info . And yes i agree with u , i wish both kakao M & agencies "Soop, BH ,..." will  benefit from this situation 

• Like 2

This article by The Korea Herald probably explains the key points (and fans' concern) a little bit more.

January 3, 2019

Kakao M acquires 4 firms for competitive edge in video contents

Source: THE INVESTOR

Kakao M, the entertainment unit of Korea’s top mobile messenger operator, announced on Jan. 2 that it has acquired four local entertainment firms for around 50 billion won (US$44.30 million).

The firm bought 30 percent stake in BH Entertainment and J Wide-Company in September, and recently acquired the remaining shares for 18.9 billion won and 5.95 billion won, respectively. BH Entertainment is known for managing top actors, including Lee Byung-hun and Han Ga-in.

Kakao’s entertainment unit, which had 30 percent stake in Ready Entertainment, also bought all the remaining shares for 11.11 billion won in December. In addition, it has invested 14 billion won in Soop Entertainment, which manages top actors like Jeon Do-yeon and Gong Yoo, to acquire 99.36 percent stake.

“With our strength, growth potential and business portfolio in music and video content business, we aim to become the top company in cultural contents market,” Kakao M CEO Kim Sung-soo said in a statement. 

The company added that its current video production units -- Krispy Studio and Mega Monster -- will be able to create synergies through the recent acquisition as it will make the casting process easier.

The management of the four entertainment firms will remain the same even after acquisition.

As for market speculation that Kakao M plans to sell its contents to global video platform operator Netflix, like CJ ENM’s drama production subsidiary Studio Dragon, the company said it has no specific plans yet. 

“For now, we plan to make short mobile dramas for our own online platform Kakao TV and sell longer dramas to TV broadcasting firms,” a spokesperson told The Investor. 

By Song Seung-hyun (ssh@heraldcorp.com)

• Like 3

@Noor90, @tok-soompi, @2handsintertwined

I enjoyed your recent comments and postings.  @rubie:  thanks for the info about the merger and buy-outs.  I hope Kakao M will produce many quality works with Gong Yoo and other elite actors and make them more available in America.  It is difficult to find the latest Korean movies in the U.S.  I watched Mr. Sunshine on Netflix.  Age of Shadows and Train to Busan are also available on Netflix.  But not Goblin.  Viki is the best service available here in Hawaii for a variety of Korean movies and TV series since Drama Fever shut down.  I am waiting for Memories of Alhambra to finish subbing and airing on Netflix then I will watch the entire series at my leisure.  I haven’t seen any posters or news/updates on Gong Yoo’s upcoming films.  Please Viki, Soompi, and Netflix:  give us some news!  Have any of you watched Love Alert with Yoon Eun Hye, our favorite Gong Yoo co-star?  

• Like 5

I miss GY. So here is a song from my favorite GY drama. Coffee Prince. This song tells me how beautiful his heart is. :wub:

Sad Thing- Coffee Prince

:bawling:

• Like 2

Happy 2019 everyone! Coming back here sure brings loads of memories. :) So happy that GY is making new movies soon! I continue to miss a lot while I was away... in the tiny enclaves of the heart... in the silence of the night...in the stillness of my soul etc etc... 

• Like 4

COME PLAY EVERYONE!!! PLEASE SEND ME YOUR FAVORITE GY GIFS/PICTURES!!!

Here is mine:

Related image

credit to owner this isn't mine!!!

Ok fine. I believe this is one of my favorites. I could not choose! I think they are just too many! I believe I get so depressed. I try to look at GY and then I say, "I feel a lot better!" I think he makes a lot of us feel better :). I'm not even going to pretend. I am not the best person here on his forum. And I'm always causing trouble! I need to learn to move on!

PLEASE COULD SHARE GY GIFS/PICTURES/ VIDEOS WITH ME????!!!

Me when I see GY gifs/pictures/videos:

Image result for happy cartoon gifs

"OH MY GOD!!!!""

Edited by 2handsintertwined
:)
  • Like 2

MY FAVORITE GY CF:

credit to owner not mine!!

Why is this my favorite GY CF? Well, I like his hair. I like the way he looks at her. And I wish he looked at me like that. I think he makes me feel like, "Do you want to go out on a date with me?" Or I feel like he's saying, "Do you want to hold my hand?" And I love his beautiful eyes. I feel like they are staring into my soul. I like his white shirt. I think it looks good on his beautiful skin....Am I sounding creepy???

@tok-soompi I always forget! I believe you aren't a GY fan. I just wanted to know if you could share gifs/pics/videos with me! Please?? I sent you a PM. Are you upset with me? I just want to be your friend!!! :bawling:

I promise I'm not pushy!

Why is everyone hiding?!

Edit: I don't think words can describe how I feel about him. I believe his smile is so warm. And I believe his heart is kind. And I believe he is a good man. I think he just makes me feel safe. 

Some of you are probably like...Why is she saying all of this?

Or some of you are saying...Someday GY will get married!! Well that's true. I believe it too. I just know that I want a man like him because I think he has a kind heart. And I believe I want a man with a kind heart.  

• Like 1

OMG I FORGOT. @rubie HI!!!! How is our LBH doing?! I miss Mr. Sunshine!!!  How are you doing?! I am so happy to see you here in GY's place! Thanks for all the info! I believe you are the best. I love you!!!

Edit: *looks at mods* I posted 4 times in a row. oops! :ph34r:

Me:

Image result for gong yoo gif

"Hi Mods! Please don't come and get me!"

Edit: @rubie And I love GY and LBH scene. I believe you shared a scene from Age of Shadows. I would love to see them in a movie together someday! Imagine it?! LBH is an amazing actor. I believe he acts with feelings. And he could help GY act in the movie. I think he could show him how to be amazing actor!

• Like 3

GY'll be on the cover of Harper's Bazaar korea Feb edition:w00t:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 1/15/2019 at 8:43 AM, 2handsintertwined said:

@alohagongyoo  Here: GY x YEH (Coffee Prince, 2007)

Image result for gong yoo gif coffee prince

credit to owner not mine!

Thank you @2handsintertwined.  I’ve watched this scene and a few others on YouTube many times!  Re Love Alert:  the acting was fine but the script was such a disappointment and unfortunately that was reflected in the ratings and reviews.  Still, see it if you can, to support YEH and CJM, both worthy actors, and very cute together.  

• Like 3