Quantcast
0ly40

[Drama 2018] A Promise with the Gods, 신과의 약속

It took me a while more than the usual time it takes me to view the episodes because I keep wanting to yell at or argue with JW and throw stones at NK in the first 2 episodes. JW with his guilt and I did my children and JY wrong while NK with poor me, nobody loves me whining. Why of why did JW not take JS away from NK and why did he not tell his parents. It was JH who told JY about NK knowing about the 100% donor and calling the donor to tell him that there was already a family donor willing to give donation. JH would have told her parents in a second if that were her child but she still reserved that for her brother to tell the parents. JY now is suing NK to take JS back as her son and both MH and JW are supporting her but JW is doing it without JY knowing. The grandparents have not been told about what NK has done yet but it seems in the preview, they will be told. As if Na Kyung has not done enough, she now told the Broadcasting director of a topic to be explored in their broadcast program that of a child conceived to save the brother with his cord blood from leukemia. The woman is really unconscionable. I don't think JY knows that the attorney she hired called JW who told him to proceed with the suit. The attorney said that it would be hard for JY to win but JY was adamant. He called JW who convinced him and told the attorney some detail about the case that convinced the attorney to proceed with the suit. During a conversation of the 2 men MH and JY, at a street food vendor JW was drinking and was telling MH about how guilty he feels and about what he did to JY and baby HW. He did not specify what he did that he had an affair and that caused a divorce and MH did not seem to know. In the meantime MH also said that he also was guilty of causing grief to JY who gave JS up because of MH who at that time was not adult and man enough to accept JS therefore caused JY to give up on JS. I hope JW did not use that information. MH maybe guilty of feeling what he felt at the time but he had always been there for JY and HW. 

• Like 4

Na Kyung is a deeply disturbed individual, but I think I'm more angry with Jae Wook at this point. Na Kyung forced Joon Seo to go through an unnecessary and painful procedure and caused HW immense pain and suffering that could have resulted in his death. How could Jae Wook not tell Ji Young and Min Ho after he found out? How could he not tell his parents? The Chairman would have stripped Na Kyung of all her rights in a hot second. How could he leave Joon Seo in that house with Na Kyung?  He should have gathered Ji Young, Min Ho, the grandparents and a lawyer, told them what Na Kyung had done, and they could have made a plan together. Instead, he's playing puppet master behind Ji Young's back while Ji Young prepares to get dragged publicly. Now, I do suspect that Jae Hee going to Ji Young may have been at Jae Wook's direction and that Jae Wook is working in the shadows for a reason (maybe because he doesn't think his father would agree to give custody of Joon Seo to Ji Young and Min Ho?) but again, he should have gathered everyone and told them that Na Kyung messed with the donor ASAP IMO. 

Ji Young probably should have talked to Jae Wook after hearing from Jae Hee, not that I think it would have necessarily made a difference. Jae Wook's in full self-loathing mode. I can understand if she doesn't trust him too much at the moment though. 

I'm glad that Min Ho is supportive of Ji Young fighting for custody and it seems like the looks between Ji Young and Min Ho during the trial were nothing but maybe both feeling bad for what the other is going through. I wonder if she told him about Na Kyung messing with the donor offscreen?

Like I said above, Na Kyung is a deeply disturbed individual. I can't believe she thought Ji Young would give her a pass for what she did. 

@zenya22 My guess is that JW told the lawyer that he has evidence of NK's wrongdoing and will use it in court. When he confronted her about messing with the donor, JW mentioned something about NK covering her tracks. I don't think Ji Young will be able to prove anything on her own, but I could see JW or JH producing a recording of NK admitting to it or something like that. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, foreverempress said:

Na Kyung... that fashionable witch needs life in prison!!!

That made me laugh for some reason. Yes, she is a witch, but I liked how you called her fashionable at the same time. :D

Her nails are atrocious, though ! Yuck!

Anyway, this week's episodes were really frustrating. I don't think I have ever disliked a villain in a Korean drama as much before. Na kyung is such a master of manipulating. " I have worked so much for your family all these years. Please, understand me. I was at the end of my rope. I didn't have a choice. Bohoo.." She tries to play such a martyr.

I was also very disappointed in JW. It is clear that he has no guts whatsoever. He let's EVERYONE control him. He let NK seduce him, he let his dad force him to marry NK, he let NK do horrible deeds over and over again, etc. He never had any healthy boundaries and he never really stood up for himself or his kids. Sure, he barks a lot but he doesn't know how to bite. Also, it is unforgivable that he is covering for NK's deeds, and that JH had to tell JY about NK's latest antics.

I say this EVERY week, but I really hope JW would step up. Next week this drama will end. If JW doesn't throw NK to the curb, I might just finally throw my laptop out the window. Trust me, I've been close to doing that a few times already. :angry:

• Like 5
  • LOL 2

episode ratings:

2019-02-09 41 - 13.4 (6th) 12.6 (7th)
2019-02-09 42 - 15.2 (4th) 14.5 (5th)
2019-02-09 43 - 15.2 (4th) 14.9 (4th)
2019-02-09 44 - 16.2 (3rd) 16.0 (3rd)
  • Thanks 2

On 2/10/2019 at 4:59 AM, partyon said:
On 2/10/2019 at 4:59 AM, partyon said:

I say this EVERY week, but I really hope JW would step up. Next week this drama will end. If JW doesn't throw NK to the curb, I might just finally throw my laptop out the window. Trust me, I've been close to doing that a few times already. :angry:

Sorry to cut your post @partyonI think it will be a good finale and JS and HW will be together with their parents Ji Young and Minho and JW and the Kim family will be part of the kids life too. I hope that Na Kyung will spend time in prison with some therapy. She hurt many people including JS the child she professed to love. I hope in time JS will adjust and forget. Na Kyung used JS and hurt the kid badly by using JS as a business leverage. One reason JW stayed with NK is because he thought NK raised and loved JS well. Now, he knows that when push comes to shove, NK will not hesitate to use JS as a bargaining chip even subjecting him to pain and unnecessary hospitalization when he did not need to. What happens if JS is not useful to her anymore? She was so willing to bet on HW's life for her position and money. Hopefully the she ends in prison. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, zenya22 said:

I think it will be a good finale and JS and HW will be together with their parents and JW and the Kim family will be part of the kids life too. I hope that Na Kyung will spend time in prison with some therapy. She hurt many people including JS the child she professed to love. I hope in time JS will adjust and forget. Na Kyung used JS and hurt the kid badly by using JS as a business leverage. One reason JW stayed with NK is because he thought NK raised and loved JS well. Now, he knows that when push comes to shove, NK will not hesitate to use JS as a bargaining chip even subjecting him to pain and unnecessary hospitalization when he did not need to. What happens if JS is not useful to her anymore? She was so willing to bet on HW's life for her position and money. Hopefully the she ends in prison.

I really hope you are right, that we will get a happy ending. Do you think that NK will actually be sent to prison? I don't know much about the Korean judicial system, but it seems to me they haven't been doing much to promote the fact that the police would get involved and NK would stand trial for her crimes.

The preview made me vomit a little bit in my mouth as JW and NK were standing in front of the window smiling happily as the snow was falling outside.... The scene would be so much better if JW were standing indoors smiling and NK outdoors crying in the snow.! <there, fixed it :D >

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, partyon said:

I really hope you are right, that we will get a happy ending. Do you think that NK will actually be sent to prison? I don't know much about the Korean judicial system, but it seems to me they haven't been doing much to promote the fact that the police would get involved and NK would stand trial for her crimes.

The preview made me vomit a little bit in my mouth as JW and NK were standing in front of the window smiling happily as the snow was falling outside.... The scene would be so much better if JW were standing indoors smiling and NK outdoors crying in the snow.! <there, fixed it :D >

No, she needs to go to prison. She is a very disturbed person. Maybe that window viewing with JW and NK was a flashback. I can't believe that the family will still accept her. JY also is suing for custody and the reason is that NK is an unfit mother. I really hope that NK gets some time in prison and therapy. Maybe after she served time she will go with the director and they can stay outside in the snow together. JW has been hurt too, he deserves some time for healing and for finding someone who can really love him. 

• Like 2

@partyon@zenya22 I hope the scene of JW and NK watching the snow is a flashback. I can't imagine JW smiling and watching the snow with her after everything she has done, but this is JW so who knows. I have to think he will come through during the trial given his conversations with the lawyer; he's been so weak, I feel like he has to finally step up and expose NK.

NK really needs to go prison, but I don't see it happening, unfortunately. Hopefully, the drama surprises me there.

Otherwise, I think it will be a good ending. If NK gets kicked to the curb, I think both families can clear up misunderstanding and come together to do what's best for the boys. 

• Like 2

Greetings, All,

I just found this drama recently and am binge-watching it.  I just wanted to comment on the whole notion of morality as addressed in the drama.  What I find brilliant in this drama is it exposes the hypocrisy of all the moral laws we each violate several times every single day without a thought.  Sure, its easy to point the finger at someone who has a second child with an ex-husband to save the life of another child and say that was morally reprehensible but compared to all the other lapses of morality in this drama---and real life---this action is less problematic than, say, coveting your high-school friend's husband, having an affair while your wife is pregnant, abandoning your grandson and daughter-in-law in favor of someone more useful to your business, forcing your child into a loveless marriage for the convenience of your business, allowing your child to be forced into a loveless marriage with a witch (not the word I want to use) and turning your back on your daughter-in-law and grandson so as not to upset your spouse, using your money and position to entice back into the fold that grandson when it is becomes necessary for the continuation of your business.  These are all immoral acts.  Having a second child--by artificial insemination--to save the life of its sibling is not "adultery", not by a long shot.  And having a second child for an otherwise-childless couple is elsewhere applauded (see surrogacy) as compassionate.  Ji-young's decision to comply with the doctor's recommendation is not immoral, it is moral.  It is based in her love for her child, her desire to preserve a life, made with the concurrence of her current husband and the support of her ex-husband--her child's biological father--and his wife.  The "immoral" act in this drama becomes the only moral act in the drama and the character about to be dragged through the courts of law and public opinion as an immoral woman turns out to be the only moral character in the drama with, perhaps, the exception of Min Ho.

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Chickpea said:

Having a second child--by artificial insemination--to save the life of its sibling is not "adultery", not by a long shot.  And having a second child for an otherwise-childless couple is elsewhere applauded (see surrogacy) as compassionate.  Ji-young's decision to comply with the doctor's recommendation is not immoral, it is moral.  It is based in her love for her child, her desire to preserve a life, made with the concurrence of her current husband and the support of her ex-husband--her child's biological father--and his wife.  The "immoral" act in this drama becomes the only moral act in the drama and the character about to be dragged through the courts of law and public opinion as an immoral woman turns out to be the only moral character in the drama with, perhaps, the exception of Min Ho.

Well said. And it really surprised me when the drama's public opinion and discussion went into the direction of adultery. The fact that the 2nd child was concieved to save the life of the older child who was dying of leukemia was not even mentioned during the panel discussion. Adultery is when there is voluntary sexual intercourse between a couple who is not their wife or husband. There was no adultery here. It was done by artificiacial insemination and the only concern was to get the cord blood to save the life of the older brother. When the child was born, Min Ho took his family, Ji Young, HW and the grandma to the country away from the JW and there was no interaction between the JY and JW. The public opinion concerning the adultery issue even discouraged the lawyer from taking JY's case until JW talked to the lawyer who then called JY to inform her he wil take the case. I am very curios to see what comes out in the trial, what the lawyer has or knows to make him agree to take the case. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Spoiler

Looks like JW finally stepped up!

I am watching the latest episodes without subs. I am so curious to know how this drama ends.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I WAS going to rename this drama so it will suit its ending.

"Everybody loses to, katows to, and forgives Na Kyung."

BUT

This was a decent ending and I am glad the children are happy.

Overall, I really love this drama because of its focus on family systems which incudes family dynamics, emotional processes, blended families, grief, anxiety, and cultural norms.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Well, it's over. I could have done with less Na Kyung and more Ji Young, HW and family in these last episodes, but overall I liked the ending. 

Ji Young's final speech in court was very true to Ji Young, but I didn't like it. All the adults had a hand in how things turned out but Na Kyung most of all and not because Ji Young didn't give Joon Seo up with a sincere heart. Na Kyung didn't deserve such grace from Ji Young.

Ji Young deserved an honest apology from Na Kyung.  I did like the honesty between NK and JW in the end though. 

I figured Joon Seo would stay with Jae Wook and his family and spend time with Ji Young and family until he's old enough to be told the whole truth. That's best for Joon Seo. 

I was glad to see Ji Young, Min Ho and HW happy and a genuine, happy smile from Jae Wook. 

I really enjoyed this drama and while there weren't many of us here, I enjoyed reading your comments. 

Finally, I'm glad to see the drama went out on a high note, ratings wise:

#APledgeToGod : 14.7% | 17.5% | 17.8% | 18.4%

• Like 6

I loved the ending. Na Kyung is gone out of the house. Both the families have cleared made concessions with each other and the boys are now being raised though separately but together by both families. Seung Hoon's misunderstanding of his grandfather's "stealing" his in law's land was also cleared that in fact it was grandpa who saved the in law from losing the land to another and it was NK who saved the land by advising her father in law to buy the land instead of losing it to another unrelated person that in fact Seung Hoon and Jae Hee had something to be grateful to NK for. So, NK lost everything she had been greedy for was a lesson learned for her that she lost her lawyer's license but she went back to reconcile with her mom and learned to help or be of service to her fellowmen/women instead of only thinking about herself. Life is funny that way, it teaches us our purpose sometimes the very hard way. I guess the drama had to explain or rationalize the character of NK.

Another thing about Jae Wook, he at last admitted that he had feelings for Na Kyung that he covered up those feelings with guilt and he was a coward for not admitting it and that he realized is another of the reasons Na Kyung tried her very best to impress the family, no matter what actions she took was because of her feelings for JW. Hmmmm.... it makes me wonder why he did not fight for JY and let his father bamboozle him into marrying NK  But I loved JW for this, finally he was honest with himself but yet he no longer wanted to be the scapegoat for his wife. He realized that covering for NK with the excuse that she was the "mother" of JS no longer was valid. NK needed to grow but away from him. 

Min Ho and Ji Young were so very cute. When JY said she will become the new apprentice employee to help Min Ho, and Min Ho's answer was then we will be together 24 hours a day? Ji Young then said as if insulted, why... don't you want to be with me? ..... and Min Ho started stammering like a husband who said the wrong thing to his wife ....no that is not what I meant....blah blah... that was funny I love that scene. 

All in all  it was a good ending. I enjoyed this drama, it was different. Thank you all for your company in this forum 

• Like 5

And that was the end of the ride, folks. I agree to the viewers' sentiments  - it was a good ending.

Like @qynn said, I wish we could have gotten less of Na Kyung - it almost felt like the showed morphed into "the Na Kyung show" the closer to the ending we got. I do think that the writers wanted to show her redemption, so that at least some sympathy could be garnered for her in the end.

I am glad that JW finally stood up to NK and his father, and made decisions that he felt were right in his heart. He ultimately placed his children first, and it was wonderful to see his relieved and happy smiles in the end. He finally let go of his guilt and forgave himself.

I felt that the drama conveyed well how complex the whole issue of "having a baby with your ex to save your sick child" is. Like @Chickpea brought up, there were a multitude of moral questions the drama addressed. At some point during the drama, I felt like there could be no winners in the end. Yes, ultimately, everyone got hurt sooner or later, but I think that the drama beautifully showed us that hearts are strong and can be mended.

Also, the writers maybe didn't focus much on it, but I felt that one of the messages was that, truth will set you free. A lot of problems could have been resolved so much faster had communication between people been more open. I think it was good that JS was told the truth about NK not being his mom. In hindsight, they should have been more honest with HW and JS from the beginning. It seems they may have learnt their lesson.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. :)

• Like 5