Quantcast

I love We all lie slow version. Been waiting for it to come out since the scene where HyeNa was trying to call out to Prof Kang when she was injured. 

I'm hoping the epilogue scene from ep 19 turns into another strong scene (like how ep 18's was for Coach Kim and Kay) for both HSJ and HyeNa. But honestly I find it hard for me to fully like HSJ... sure she turned everything in to the police at the end, but at the start of the ep, she was all for persisting through and letting WJ suffer in jail for another semester. And she knew WJ would be the scapegoat even before he got arrested. That's why I enjoyed WJ's outburst against her, even if his outburst was mostly about HyeNa... 

I love the Cha twins' mum. She turned out to be such a strong character. Just like HSJ, she's doing everything for her children but in a different way. Protecting them from the constant pressure of academic excellence, overbearing father. But the twins' scenes were such comedic relief today, from their meal with their dad, I was facepalming as much as KiJoon.  JinJin as well, she's gossipy but not a bad person. 

I feel like the show is showing how much people can end up being a victim of their own environment. I like YeSeo now, but she was such an arrogant brat at the start, that I think had a big contribution to the hostility between her and HyeNa. That ended very badly, but YeSeo had the chance to show growth now, when all the factors around her started working against her, rather than for her. For HyeNa, I think she could have been a decent girl, judging by her interactions with YeBin which I honestly don't think were driven by ill intentions, and how she stood against the "unfair" society. But she had to find ways to earn money to survive among manipulative adults, not falter when going against HSJ in her house, which all turned her into who she became before she died.

Speculation - do you think it was the teacher that was leaking exam papers to Coach Kim that killed HyeNa? I feel like he's another possibility - he didn't like HyeNa after she called him out during class and they could have bought off the guard to let him in.  

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Just a part of the OST Endless Night

When there's light,

life is beautiful.

When you are fine,

you can be sure.

As the drama ending, we see more light encompassing the characters.The scenes are truly shot beautifully.

Even though I cried my heart scene after scene, episode 19 is my favorite.

WtFGpDw.jpg

I love how we slowly see glimpses of Coach Kim's past, especially in the last two episodes. Just like in real life, it takes time to discover about someone's past when that person like Coach Kim seems to be stoic and stands her guard at all times. Because she slowly closed up herself, she mentally and physically put her daughter within those barriers, too.

In Coach Kim's own words, she says that mothers are selfish beings.

"Mothers who have children are the most selfish people on earth.

And at the same time, they're the easiest to control.

Jung Min's mother, Young Jae's mother, and Ye Suh's mother...

those women who use their kids to fulfill their greed.

They act all high and noble, but to me, they're nothing."

Her words are so strikingly powerful and straight to the point, but she fails to see her own situation. She is selfish herself. She rooted herself into the vicious cycle of the education system past and present. Kay had trouble adjusting in college and was stressed out about competing with students who are 10 years older than her! She instilled those education requirements and expectations on her own child. 

That is why the scene between Coach Kim and Kay in the present day was heart wrenching. Props to the actresses who made that scene so raw and real. Kay sobs, gets nervous and cries to her mom that she will study. She does not want to upset her mother. And this is probably the only time when we see Coach Kim break down. It is even more heart wrenching when she tells Kay that she does not need to study anymore. Oh  :dissapointed_relieved:

UXCo4c4.jpg

Notice that the glimpses of her past are ALL sad, conflicted moments to the viewer. Because of Coach Kim interprets success and failure with her past, she guides children with fear. She plays with mothers' insecurities and fears. Eventually, she sees those mothers as nothing because after all she is playing the chess game herself. She is putting herself in the vicious cycle of wanting power and honor.

On the contrary, thankfully, Ye suh's mom has conscious and loves her daughter. She thought about the situation from dusk to dawn, and lo and behold, the accompanying lyrics (see beginning of the post) of the OST Endless Night hints at the character's development. She thinks for herself and her daughter. She had a heart to heart conversation with her daughter. :heart: They talked it out and ended up crying, hugging and telling each other that they love each other! I mean what's more important than love?! The love transcends when we see KMH and JS finally apologize to each other and take responsibility together as a couple and as individual human beings. It is beautiful to see them go through difficult times together and not yell and blame each other for rising problems. 

P7uY1br.jpg

On the other hand, the Cha family has a wonderful mom who embraces her children. Professor Cha is still one sided and he believes that he can provide "the best" environment for his kids to study. Unfortunately, he lives in his past and fails to see what his children truly need. It will take time for his character to get out of this system because right now his ego is damaged. I do hope his loneliness will wake his spirit up. I hope he will learn to live in the present and embrace his family members because those are the people he needs in his life!

When it comes to cherishing people, Woojoo's family does it somewhat. My only complaint is that their family seems more like a plot device in the Sky Castle. Otherwise, I will like to share one of my favorite quotes:

"Yesterday's the past,

tomorrow's the future, but

today's a gift. 

That's why it's called the present." 

I hope these words and the drama itself will teach everyone to live in the present and embrace others. 

• Like 7

13 hours ago, herina_90 said:

Hide contents

That epilogue though!! I saw some comments thinking HyeNa was still alive, but I'm pretty sure that's more likely a scene from the past. How are they going to build this into unravelling the final story as to how HyeNa died. I'm so intrigued but have to wait another week?? Seriously daebak Sky Castle writers! They really know how to reel the viewers in to tune in next week.

Spoiler

I was thinking that the epilogue was Ye suh's mom hallucinating that it was HyeNa. Because eventually after we see the scene of HyeNa, I think there is a quick glimpse that it is actually Ye Suh. (I could be wrong though.)

Something about Coach Kim is definitely going to make Ye suh's mom worry and feel guilt from Hye Na's guilt. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, alleram95 said:

Why can't they give Yebin more lines? Hers are very refreshing and opening others' mind effectively.. *clap* *clap* *clap*

Yebin to her mom : What is the use for me taking the tutor class? What should I study? Because I can get the perfect score after stealing the exam papers

Yebin to her grandmother : If you really want it, then you should be the one who go there (to the university)

YESSSS. I AGREEEE. Yebin definitely has the best lines. 

I wish there were more scenes of Yebin, too. 

She has that spunk and confidence ever since episode 1. She's different from all those other girls and she even dresses differently. Initially I thought she followed her dad's step of being different in the family.

But she proved me wrong especially when she pointed out her dad's wrongdoing in an earlier episode and remarked to her grandmother's wrongdoing in this episode. GIRLLLL POWER. WE NEED MORE YEBINS IN THIS WORLD. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, ponderings said:

Hide contents

I was thinking that the epilogue was Ye suh's mom hallucinating that it was HyeNa. Because eventually after we see the scene of HyeNa, I think there is a quick glimpse that it is actually Ye Suh. (I could be wrong though.)

Something about Coach Kim is definitely going to make Ye suh's mom worry and feel guilt from Hye Na's guilt. 

Spoiler

I went to rewatch it to check if I missed anything, but I thought it is still HyeNa, because that was YeBin's room and given YeSeo and YeBin in all honesty don't look that close, I can't imagine YeSeo being there. 

I feel like Coach Kim might be alluding to how even though HSJ was not the one to push HyeNa, she is not free from all guilt in how she treated HyeNa (well, I guess they were both terrible to each other to be fair), how she hid the fact that HyeNa was KJS's daughter, etc etc. She helped create a rather toxic environment for both kids, at the misguided advise from Coach Kim, so it's not like she's free from all doings.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, herina_90 said:

Reveal hidden contents

I went to rewatch it to check if I missed anything, but I thought it is still HyeNa, because that was YeBin's room and given YeSeo and YeBin in all honesty don't look that close, I can't imagine YeSeo being there. 

I feel like Coach Kim might be alluding to how even though HSJ was not the one to push HyeNa, she is not free from all guilt in how she treated HyeNa (well, I guess they were both terrible to each other to be fair), how she hid the fact that HyeNa was KJS's daughter, etc etc. She helped create a rather toxic environment for both kids, at the misguided advise from Coach Kim, so it's not like she's free from all doings.

Spoiler

Aaah I see! And it was Yeh Bin who runs to her mom and says it's Hye Na! 

Haha. I guess I was imaging things haha. 

It is so nerve wrecking that Coach Kim hasn't learned anything especially with what she has been through with Kay. 

I wonder how the ending is going to draw out after she guilt trips Yeh suh's mom!

-------------------

By the way, is it a coincidence that the drama Encounter/Boyfriend and also this drama mentions innocence, children and The Little Prince? I think it's a sign that I need to read the story especially when both of these dramas are my favorite. haha 

• Like 4

Haven't watched coz I am away but have been reading spoilers   :lol:.  Now that Prof Cha is left on his own...I am wondering if he's the one involved in HyeNa's death?  Did they determine the security guard was the one who pushed her?  Or was he just the one who filmed it from his car?  I know I sound like a broken record...haha... it still seems strange that despite everything he's still not waking up to himself... and writer has already eased the blow for the rest of the Cha family when they moved out and started a new life without him.  I guess all will be revealed next week.

• Like 5

I just finished watching ep.19.... Cried so much, esp. the part when SJ was talking to YS and both of them come to agreement about the right thing to do. I can imagine how devastating and how difficult it is for them to make the decision but they did, so proud of them! 

And then the part of Coach Kim with Kay... it is heartbreaking too, and I'm glad the curry was not consumed. I was so worried when Kay just started to use her hands to scoop the food into her mouth. Glad it didn't happen. Don't know what will happen to her since Kim is in jail, but I sure hope Jo will get her into proper therapy session. 

Lots of awesome shooting angles also this episode. Can't wait for the final episode!

• Like 5

If you laughed at the curry scene, you're a horrible person, but you also have a great sense of humor. Let's be friends. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

1 minute ago, jeijei said:

If you laughed at the curry scene, you're a horrible person, but you also have a great sense of humor. Let's be friends. 

I did laugh, but not during the scene when Kay scoop the curry, but during the scene showing hands cutting vegetables, pouring cooking oil and simmering the curry... until they show the back of Coach Kim taking the pills from the cabinet - I died! I really thought it was some curry  brand's commercial break! :joy:

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

Don't know what will happen to her since Kim is in jail, but I sure hope Jo will get her into proper theraphy session. 

I think this is what drove Coach Kim to the idea of killing them both - the knowing that once she and her organisation is gone, there's no one to take care of Kay. But, why isn't Mr Jo arrested too? Is he not considered an accomplice to this whole exam stealing affair? He was right there when they passed HSJ the third year test papers.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Insightful 1

Interesting how we can be a destroyer to one person, yet be a savior to another.

I had guess that Jo's dedication to Coach Kim had a history along the lines of her saving him.

So, now, the question is whether or not he would have killed on her behalf.  :huh:

• Like 3

9 hours ago, herina_90 said:

I think this is what drove Coach Kim to the idea of killing them both - the knowing that once she and her organisation is gone, there's no one to take care of Kay. But, why isn't Mr Jo arrested too? Is he not considered an accomplice to this whole exam stealing affair? He was right there when they passed HSJ the third year test papers.

She is so selfish and I am glad in the end she prevented Kay from eating the poisoned curry. (Darn, that kind of curry dish is one of my comfort food!)

I won't consider what Kim has been doing as taking care of Kay. She is so ashamed of her that she kept her hidden like that when the right and proper thing to do is get Kay into therapy as soon as she woke up from her coma. 

We don't know yet if Jo will be implicated or not. Probably not for murder but for stealing exam paper. 

• Like 3

Hello everyone, I just wrote here, but I've seen this group for a long time.

Honestly when I saw the first treaser of Sky Castle I wasn't very interested.

But when Hyena began to appear in the drama I began to see this drama.

The character of Hyena is very interesting, one time I cheated her but one time I

really liked her. Honestly, I can say the character of Hyena is like oil which

makes small fires grow so that this drama is more interesting. I am sad that

many people hate Hyena, but I can understand that. I'm glad some people understand

hyenas as I think, including Woojo. I cried when the Kang Couple scene knelt in

front of Woojo, not because of Kang Couple say sorry words but because of Woojo's words.

He expressed his frustration as to why Hyena had to die, especially since the

Hyena died only knowing that Kim's teacher stole exam papers to increase the grade of Yesuh.

Woojo is also annoyed because it seems that Han Seo-Jin has not

sincerely apologized to Hyena. I strongly agree with Woojo, Han Seo-Jin not yet aware

that Hyena's death was also indirectly caused by her ambition.

If the prediction of Ep 20 that Hyena and Yesuh exchanged when the baby is real, I don't know what Han Seo-Jin

will be done. it must be the toughest punishment in her life

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Man this drama is exhausting! I always feel so drained, emotionally after viewing LoL. 

Out of the moms, the twins' mom is the best. I adore her especially how she kept hanging up on her husband LMFAo. She not only displays wit but compassion. Which is more than I can say for the other ladies:rolleyes: It was sad the twins had to tell their dad that they were happier without him. Ouch. 

Despite their weepy show of forgiveness, I still can't find myself to like Ye-Suh or her family! Safe maybe for Ye-Bin. I'm convinced she's adopted:P When she told off her grandma & mom I applauded YO. Hye-Na would've been proud. 

I like how Woo-Joo's dad encouraged him to do the right thing. Honestly I like that Woo-Joo said to Ye-Suh's parents that he wasn't obligated to forgive them 'cause I sure as heck would not either. 

I really don't know what curveball this drama is throwing in the finale preview but it'd interesting to see how it all works out.. 

Nice that Woo-Joo's mom referenced Dead Poets Society 'cause I felt the same too. Only difference the coach is nothing like Robin Williams' character. 

• Like 4

I cried so much watching Ep. 19.

Yesuh and her mom scene when they finally decided to disclose everything. The moment when Mr. Kang picked up his wife at the police station.

The scene of Coach Kim made curry for Kay, the soundtrack was even Pie Jesu (usually use in Requiem Mass) and the most heartbreaking is Coach Kim and Kay scene. :tears:

Can't wait for final episode. 

• Like 4

Just finished all the 19 episodes back to back over 2 days and cant tell you how much I have been involved emotionally into this drama ! It has been long time for me to be moved this much by any Asian drama for the story itself more than any other reasons! Though this drama surely is a perfection on every single element ! 

I am a doctor, so watching this drama has taken me back to many many moments of my life ! I used to Ranked first out of my school all the way from the primary till my high school, my parents are not college graduates but ever since I was kid they embraced me so never has felt any senes of being pressured to get high grades, never ever has been tutored in my life, but loved to volunteer a lot and teach others. I have loved to study for the love of the education itself, has been considered it fun to me, and despite getting good grades, was able to enjoy myself have fun and do everything I love. 

Later on when I joined medical school, things got a dramatic change ! Day by day I myself started to change without noticing that! Being living in a highly competitive environment has changed me to a person who started to care about my results, marks and grades ! I have been under a lot of stress , couldn’t find any enjoyment like I did before on studying ! I became socially isolated ! Even if I had time, I would prefer to be alone and dont hangout with friends or family ! Actually if I have time I was preferring more to do attachment / observership on hospitals and do extracurricular activities to enhance my C.V . 

I thought everything would be good by my graduation, but its not at all ! I joined the place and speciality I wanted to do, but things were stressful allover again ! I used to rank as best resident among my residency every year but honestly have not been happy because I have a feeling deep inside that I have lost myself! 

By last year, I realize that I need to be brave to find myself again despite anything or anyone ! 

I stepped back for awhile, thought about getting a break to recharge my soul. Everybody thought I am crazy to do so while I am having a successful career, but I am glad that I was brave enough to do what I wanted to do. Now I can see the results of such a decision, that I am loving myself again, loving what I am doing , and most importantly knowing what I want to do. 

So Sky Castle writer,

thanks so much for writing such a solid story, it has been a heeling journey for me watching this series. Thanks so much.

Definitely this drama gonna be among my best list of all the time, saying this and I am a Kdrama fan for 11 years.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 2
  • Thanks 1

Ye Bin for the win, she never disappoints. 

Prof Cha is always good for laughs....like how deluded is he?

So glad SJ finally came to her senses and did what some of us hoped she'd do....her love for her kid won through in the end, phew.

Love that Woo Joo family told him is ok to feel how he does. He's not obligated to forgive a soul. No surprising really they've showed this openness from the very beginning.

Last Episode seems so far away....

• Like 3

2 hours ago, wangnyeo said:

Just finished all the 19 episodes back to back over 2 days and cant tell you how much I have been involved emotionally into this drama !

I am in the same boat (mostly)! I started slow, but binge-watched the rest. It is so addictive.

I'm still just half-way through 17 and my husband is at work and he asked me to not watch the rest without him.

So I am wrestling with my conscience at the moment. :lol:

So anyway, 17 is when everyone strongly suspects that Coach Kim is the murderer but no one can bring themselves to turn her in because Yeh-Seo's life will be "ruined" when they discover that she used a leaked exam to score top points. I feel like the storytelling is really good, because I can see how and why each character is struggling between the two choices, and rationalizing their own terrible behavior (so far).

I feel like this is an important story, too, socially - although I am skeptical how much effect it will have. But you have these absurdly wealthy people who can drop 100s of K's just to tutor their kid to get into SNU - and what does that mean for the rest of the "normies?" How can they compete with that?

Society is rotten if this is the only measure of "success" and that your life is worthless otherwise. Education should be for enlightenment and people should do the work that suits them and they are good at - which for some people means becoming a doctor, and for some people, it means becoming something else.

I have friends in Korea with kids, and what I can tell you is that the competition is fierce, even among those who are not wealthy. The level of obsession we see in "Sky Castle" is supposedly heightened and satirical, but it's also not too far from the truth.

I don't know what to say about Coach Kim except that the actress is great. What a perfect impersonation of the Wicked Witch of the West - down to the outfit and the cackle. (Maybe throw some water on her face and she will melt?) Anyway, she is fantastic. A really memorable performance. (My head hurts just looking at that ultra-tight bun in her hair. Yowch.)

Can't wait to catch up on this and enjoy the finale!

• Like 4