Quantcast
Jillia

[Drama 2019] The Crowned Clown/The Man Who Became King, 광해 / 왕이 된 남자

Thanks for the recaps @Jillia!!! Hahaha even if it's just a joke, I do hope they achieve their goals! Jingoo's mind went blank at the ratings promise, Kim Sang Kyung had to explain the question to him again.. and he said they will give free hugs.. and KSK added Jingoo will do it in the King's robe.. hahaha

Jingoo looked so tired and out of it at the presscon. He answered "the director, the seniors and the staff have been helping me out a lot" a lot of times. xD Poor guy, he normally is very alert at presscons. He's playing two roles at once and have so much scenes to do and doesn't get too much rest.

Anyway, they've done an amazing job so far! The highlight teaser was sooo well made! I'm more than ready for the premiere!!!

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

You're welcome, @circulate9oo:) I wasn't able to cover the whole press con with translations because I had to get ready for work as well. But I think the core of the press conference was that the cast and crew is very relaxed and confident about the drama. And they can because the highlight-reel looks amazing. :D

Yeo Jin Gu only just in the beginning of December wrapped filming for Absolute Boyfriend, so I think a lot comes together with him being tired. But he was charming as always and funny. 

I'm really looking forward to this drama.

• Like 5

@Jillia Exactly, Jingoo have been continuously filming ABF since July and he also said in a previous interview that a month prior to filming TCC, he also practiced hard doing clown performances. And yes! I love how confident they are about the quality of their drama and indeed they should be. True, one of the things I like in this drama is the fun atmosphere whenever they film. The director seems to be a fun and amiable person.

Kim Sang Kyung also said that he believes this will be Yeo Jin Goo's life project. Which is really saying a lot.

There's got to be too much pressure since Jo Deul Ho 2 is also premiering at the same time (and S1 was a ratings hit). But I am more than ready for TCC! Fighting to the cast and crew!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Ep 1 Synopsis

Spoiler

광대 하선은 만석꾼 김진사의 집에서 흥겨운 판을 벌이지만, 나라님을 가지고 놀았다는 핑계로 아무런 대가도 못 받소 쫓겨난다. 김진사에게 작은 보복을 저지른 하선은 기왕이면 큰판에서 놀아보자며 일행과 함께 임금님이 산다는 한양으로 향한다.

암살위협 때문에 불면증에 시달리는 젊은 왕 이헌. 왕에게 자신을 지킬 방도를 찾으란 명을 받은 도승지 이규는 머물던 기루에서 왕과 똑같은 얼굴을 한 광대, 하선을 보게 되는데...!

trans: circulate9oo ~sorry if there are mistakes~

The clown Haseon performs merrily at Kim Jinsa's house, but gets kicked out with the excuse of mocking the king and doesn't even receive payment. Haseon who commits an act of small revenge towards Kim Jinsa, decides to perform at a bigger stage and together with his troupe, they head to Hanyang where the king lives.

Due to the threat of an assassination, the young king Yi Heon suffers from insomnia. Chief Secretary Yi Kyu receives an order to find a way to protect the king. Yi Kyu who's staying at a brothel, finds Haseon, a clown who has the exact face of the king...!

• Like 5

Get ready... this drama finally premieres tomorrow, on Monday 7th! So finally sageuks are back on my small screen! Yeo Jin Gu is back on my small screen! And I'm ready! :D

Just as a reminder what is awaiting us in the drama. :wub: Fresh and talented actors all over my small screen, YES!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

@leeminhosny

Yes the wait is finally over! It's seems forever since the drama and the cast was announced. It hasn't been long but feels like it. Finally we're able to see what plot this drama will tell us. :D

• Like 5

Trailers are wonderful I hope ratings will be so high Let's surpass 10% :w00t: Yeo Jin Go deserves world:wub:

• Like 4

I can't believe that this drama premieres tomorrow... time flies!!

• Like 5

My timing is really good this time: I just finished 100 days my prince! But sadly it didn't impress me much , I hope this drama will be better! I enjoyed the movie at least so I know what to expect of the story, I just worry about the pacing. But anyway, I can't wait to start this drama!!

• Like 4

D-Day! Drama will premiere today and I am ready! :D

• Like 3

These cuties asking for support for The Man Who Became King in sageuk speech. :lol:

• Like 6

January 7, 2019

tvN begins 2019 with period drama 'The Crowned Clown' 

optimize

Actors Yeo Jin-goo, left, and Lee Se-young, pose during a press conference for tvN's new period drama "The Crowned Clown" at Imperial Palace Seoul, Thursday. / Courtesy of CJ ENM

By Park Jin-hai The Korea Times

Popular cable network, tvN, ran hit period dramas "Mr. Sunshine" and "100 Days My Prince" last year, so viewers were pleased when the network unveiled its drama lineups this year with its newest period drama "The Crowned Clown."

The much anticipated drama, starring Yeo Jin-goo and Lee Se-young, is an adaptation of the popular 2012 film "Masquerade" which attracted over 12 million moviegoers. 

Set in the middle of the Joseon era, when upheaval and power struggles surrounding the throne reached a high, the drama, premiered on Monday, tells the story of Yi Heon, played by Yeo, the king who brings a clown that looks identical to him and puts him on the throne to escape those who try to kill him. 

The 21-year-old Yeo plays the double role of the King Yi Heon and the clown Ha-seon, which was formerly performed by veteran actor Lee Byung-hun in the award-winning original movie who gave an impressive performance portraying the bizarre King Gwanghae and the humble clown. 

Yeo, despite accepting that viewers' comparison to original film is unavoidable, says his depiction of the king and the clown will be different from that of Lee by a large margin.

"Unlike the movie, I tried to widen the gap in acting the two men to their extremes. Also, drama version includes melodrama that was unseen in its original. It has romance between the two men and the queen So Woon," said the actor during a press conference at Imperial Palace, Seoul, Thursday. 

Actress Lee, on the role of the queen, says "Apart from settings, I would say a lot of things are different from the original. Lead characters' ages have become younger and I worked hard on creating a romantic chemistry with the two men." 

Upping the expectation of drama fans is that tvN's new drama is the latest from director Kim Hee-won, who was highly praised for her skills in her 2017 directorial debut drama "Money Flower." It is her first drama with tvN, after leaving MBC. 

Kim previously said he had some reservations for the period drama genre since it is required to "create something new out of blank" compared with modern-set dramas, but decided to challenge the genre because she really liked the characters' coming-of-age and dreaming for better world story plot. 

"Although some settings in the first two episodes may overlap with the original film, after incidents that incur the clown-made-to-king wanting to become a real king, the rest of the story will be very different," said the director. "If my previous work was more critical and cynical to the world, I would say my new drama is a warm story. It includes characters who want to change the world on their own will and in doing so, create new human relationships and that will be distinctive point of this drama." 

jinhai@koreatimes.co.kr 

• Like 5

Knetz says "Wow, Jin Goo's acting is so crazy.":thumbsup::wub:

Knetz comments are positive :thumbsup:they liked acting so much 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

YJG instagram update 

• Like 3

After watching the first episode: 

Yeo Jin Goo is brilliant. Can we give him the baeksang for best male tv actor now?? And Lee se young is lovely as well. The chemistry is wonderful. There's just something about former-child actors- their acting is so complete(?) and nuanced compared to others of the same age, and it especially shows in sageuks. I hope we get more leads with former child actors- there's so many underrated ones who are passed up for those that are much lacking. 

I'm officially in love with this PD- finally someone who takes casting seriously. Aside from the strong leads, the supporting cast is so brilliant- and especially a shout out to jang young nam- I don't think anyone else nails such scenes with strong emotions as masterfully as she does. 

The pilot certainly didn't disappoint, and I'll be looking forward to the comedic scenes as well! 

• Like 5