Quantcast
Jillia

[Drama 2019] The Crowned Clown/The Man Who Became King, 광해 / 왕이 된 남자

14 hours ago, triplem said:

Having said that , I believe that the preview is just to mislead us , I don’t think the Chief Secretary has really given up on LH. 

I totally agree.  I think the Chief Secretary is upset because the real king is so ill.  He may even feel guilty that he can't be at LH's side all day to care for him and prevent him from injuring himself.  But he also sees potential in our clown, so he's taking a chance and rolling the dice in the off-chance LH can't survive detox from the opium and whatever else he was taking, Chief Secretary is going to (finally!!) groom HS and use HS to increase the power of the king's position.  Because really, the king's seems like the least powerful faction of the three that exist (Dowager faction, Left State faction, and the king's). 

I found myself very, very curious to know just why SoWoon was the queen chosen for LH.  What sort of political power did her family have to offer to the previous king?  Or was it a love match?  She is obviously very smart, but where are the ministers that supported her family?  Are they too scared to speak up or visit her now that her father has been exiled?  Why aren't they even trying to support her? 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, yonaomi123 said:

I found myself very, very curious to know just why SoWoon was the queen chosen for LH.  What sort of political power did her family have to offer to the previous king?  Or was it a love match?  She is obviously very smart, but where are the ministers that supported her family?  Are they too scared to speak up or visit her now that her father has been exiled?  Why aren't they even trying to support her? 

According to Sowoon's character description in the official website, the Queen (who is currently the Queen Dowager in the story) already had a crown princess she would like to recommend, but Yi Heon received an advice from Yi Kyu to choose Sowoon and after Yi Heon's strong insistence, she entered the palace that year. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Nah..I don't think Royal Chief Secretary has given up on LH. I think he thought initially it was just going to be a week at most.  He assumed sending LH away from the Palace (from the immediate threats around him) would be sufficient to bring him back to his senses but he's realised that he was mistaken.  It never removed the perceived threats in his (LH) mind.  That's why he stabbed HS. He realised that the ruse will take longer than he had envisaged so he needs the Clown play the King for longer. And the longer he plays the King the higher the chances he will get caught. Lady Kim will be dressing and bathing him (?) so that scar on the King's left shoulder needs to be on the Clown too. Concerted efforts would be necessary to bring him up to speed with reading documents and the King's idiosyncrasies told him.  You could see how frustrated he was at the situation.  He took out his anger on the poor hapless HS on that mountaintop. He had gone through this whole rigmarole for the King's benefit (LH) and instead of him (LH) doing his part by getting clean and recovering (he's in a monastery for a reason - self reflection and healing?), he seems to be doing nothing to help himself and making it worse by looking for the drug himself and descending into more madness.  Even the monk cannot hide his disgust. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, circulate9oo said:

According to Sowoon's character description in the official website, the Queen (who is currently the Queen Dowager in the story) already had a crown princess she would like to recommend, but Yi Heon received an advice from Yi Kyu to choose Sowoon and after Yi Heon's strong insistence, she entered the palace that year. 

Sounds like Lee Kyu had a crown princess in mind who would be inpartial. Because the Dowager Queen would place a woman next to Lee Hun to ensure her power is stable and a woman who can influence the Crown Prince and even assist in any plans against him.

• Like 7

Shin Chisoo and Court Lady Kim conspired to make Yi Heon overly drug-dependent. The withdrawal will take him some time and it will be a very painful and agonizing period for Yi Heon. I pity him that he ended up resorting to self-harm because of his hallucinations. In the next episode, we will see that he has to be tied up and locked up as a result. I hope he gets better soon. 

But I agree, I also don't think Yi Kyu has given up on Yi Heon. Like you said @nrllee, the situation is already in need of an urgent solution and the King couldn't come back to rule any time soon. Yi Kyu needs to take the matters into his own hands and install Haseon for good until the King can recover himself. He can't just keep letting Shin Chisoo usurp all the power by telling Haseon to look the other way while they wait for Yi Heon's orders. Haseon needs to rule properly and Yi Kyu has seen what great potential Haseon has as a leader. 

• Like 8

I have been unsure about starting this series because I read that the king is using drug... I guess in some side it is understanding that they want to show how far he could go in his madness. but at the same time I feel it is limiting him as a character. To me it would have been more interesting having him taking the clown place and also see for himself how his people is living. this way he could grow as a character and also make this a story about the king and the clown.  I mean there is just not much a writer could do with a character that is dealing with this kind of addiction and withdrawal. Also Opium is a very deathly drug and  very addicting. It make me scared for him and his health. frankly I am surprised that they even talk about drug in a kdrama.  

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, sal2 said:

I have been unsure about starting this series because I read that the king is using drug... I guess in some side it is understanding that they want to show how far he could go in his madness. but at the same time I feel it is limiting him as a character. To me it would have been more interesting having him taking the clown place and also see for himself how his people is living. this way he could grow as a character and also make this a story about the king and the clown.  I mean there is just not much a writer could do with a character that is dealing with this kind of addiction and withdrawal. Also Opium is a very deathly drug and  very addicting. It make me scared for him and his health. frankly I am surprised that they even talk about drug in a kdrama.  

It's only the 4th episode, I'm 99% sure Yi Heon won't be locked up in that room looking for drugs for the rest of the drama, especially now that it's been implied that him and Dallae would eventually meet up. There's a reason the writers put the two together in the same place.

There are so many ways they could take that story and I believe the writers would work on a path for Yi Heon's self-recovery and seeing another side of the world that he never knew in his sheltered and toxic life in the palace. For example, as a wishful thinking of mine~ I'd love it if they can make Yi Heon teach Dallae learn how to read/write, given that Yi Heon is a bookworm.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, circulate9oo said:

It's only the 4th episode, I'm 99% sure Yi Heon won't be locked up in that room looking for drugs for the rest of the drama, especially now that it's been implied that him and Dallae would eventually meet up. There are so many ways they could take that story and I believe the writers would work on a path for Yi Heon to self-recovery and seeing another side of the world that he never knew in his sheltered and toxic life in the palace.

You right it is early in the drama, and still room for character growth :) I hope he is not to lost, and can get  affected meeting new people. Also when I think back reading what PD said about this is a story about how making new relationship gonna have e warm affect in the character in the drama, I think she also talk about the king. I guess it is me that have a very negative thought about drugs and make me hesitate when it is shown in a show. but at least compared to many american show they are not romantic it. 

I am gonna watch it this weekend, it is also allot that draw me in to want to watch also :) 

• Like 6

Just now, sal2 said:

You right it is early in the drama, and still room for character growth :) I hope he is not to lost, and can get  affected meeting new people. Also when I think back reading what PD said about this is a story about how making new relationship gonna have e warm affect in the character in the drama, I think she also talk about the king. I guess it is me that have a very negative thought about drugs and make me hesitate when it is shown in a show. but at least compared to many american show they are not romantic it. 

I am gonna watch it this weekend, it is also allot that draw me in to want to watch also :) 

Yes, I hope the writers won't disappoint me hahaha. I'm really rooting for Yi Heon to not be forever lost. He was someone who had so much potential to be a great King. Even if he isn't in the throne atm, there will be other ways for his character to develop throughout the course of the drama.

• Like 7

11 hours ago, yonaomi123 said:

I totally agree.  I think the Chief Secretary is upset because the real king is so ill.  He may even feel guilty that he can't be at LH's side all day to care for him and prevent him from injuring himself.  But he also sees potential in our clown, so he's taking a chance and rolling the dice in the off-chance LH can't survive detox from the opium and whatever else he was taking, Chief Secretary is going to (finally!!) groom HS and use HS to increase the power of the king's position.  Because really, the king's seems like the least powerful faction of the three that exist (Dowager faction, Left State faction, and the king's). 

I do think after watching with subs, that Chief Secretary in a last desperate attempt to ensure that the throne does not fall into the wrong hands , has no other choice but to really groom HS to be the king. It will take awhile for YH to regain a sound mental state. And honestly , IRL ( and in present time) not many people can recover from such hallucinations and delirium without proper therapy. In those days, people I suppose turn to religion or spiritual guidance to get well. Anyhow this is a drama...so anything is possible.

I fall in love with HS more and more in every episode and kkkkk @Jillia it is not my intention to get you on board the HS _ SW ship. :w00t:

I can see that it is not really HS that she has fallen for...but right now I cannot help but find my heart skipping a beat at their interactions. My favourite heroic thing he did for her so far was faking that letter to blackmail the Empress Dowager , and really calling her bluff on it. That was so brave and crazy. But that is what love feels like to me. You do everything in your power (even if the power is not exactly yours to begin with) to protect that person :wub:.....sorry all ..I know there are more pressing things to focus on...but me is a hopeless romantic.

• Like 7

What would be totally ironic would be if Dallae and the other man (does he have a name?) mistake YH for HS and YH actually decides to play along :lol:.  Then we have the Clown playing the King and the King trying to play the Clown.  So as the Clown is learning how to crush his enemies (descent into darkness), the King is paralleled relearning what it means to be good again (ascent to light).  The Queen will have a real quandary then if the 2 meet in the middle somewhere :lol:

• Like 6
  • LOL 2

9 minutes ago, nrllee said:

What would be totally ironic would be if Dallae and the other man (does he have a name?) mistake YH for HS and YH actually decides to play along :lol:.  Then we have the Clown playing the King and the King trying to play the Clown.  So as the Clown is learning how to crush his enemies (descent into darkness), the King is paralleled relearning what it means to be good again (ascent to light).  The Queen will have a real quandary then if the 2 meet in the middle somewhere :lol:

I would really love to see that. I don't know how, but I really want to see that lol

At the moment I believe that LH's traumatic life has led him to be unable to trust, which is his main problem. He distrusts those who want to harm him rightfully, but doesn't know what to do about it and becomes paranoid, he also distrusts those who want to help him in his fear. Can a person like that build new relationships with people he considers beneath him "just like that"? It would be extremely improbable. However I've liked the writing very much so far and unexpected things have happened in ways that are very logical. I think they could pull this off if they wanted to. Cross my fingers that they do! XD

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, rittoo said:

I would really love to see that. I don't know how, but I really want to see that lol

It would make it comedic for the King to learn to play the Clown (just like we've seen elements of it when HS played the King).  So it would certainly lighten the mood of the whole show dramatically if that's the case.  Thus far both within and without the Palace walls the stories have been rather dark.  We'll see :lol:

• Like 4
  • LOL 2

21 hours ago, rittoo said:

At the moment I believe that LH's traumatic life has led him to be unable to trust, which is his main problem. He distrusts those who want to harm him rightfully, but doesn't know what to do about it and becomes paranoid, he also distrusts those who want to help him in his fear. Can a person like that build new relationships with people he considers beneath him "just like that"? It would be extremely improbable. However I've liked the writing very much so far and unexpected things have happened in ways that are very logical. I think they could pull this off if they wanted to. Cross my fingers that they do! XD

LH deserves  more.  He is the rightful king. Paranoia and madness and his traumatic life. Who can he trust. I hope he finds comfort from the outside form Dallae. Begin to see what's going on become strong and learn to  atone and  fight back.. those who wished to harm him or making him paranoid even more.

From the very start of the episode.. 30 mins in to episode 1 when it premiered, I already knew who I am rooting for.  It hasn't changed one bit.

• Like 7

I was finally able to rewatch episode 3 and 4 properly. :)

I really like the whole - albeit typical - palace intrigue plot. The framing of the queen for poisoning a concubine felt weak to me but it led to Ha Seon showing So Woon he is siding with her and that beautiful scene with them smiling at eachother. But also a scene which was in the end so sad for Ha Seon because he is realizing "she isn't smiling at ME, she is smiling at the king, Lee Hun". What he wanted to say was "Smile for ME, Ha Seon, not for Lee Hun". I like the drama is never forgetting Ha Seon's place and is slowly building that Ha Seon and So Woon are somewhat in their own worlds.

I have yet to see a scene in which Lee Hun proves to be unredeemable. I understand when people think he has done unforgivable things. Because he did. Yet the fact he is seeing his dead brother and is stricken with guilt shows me that there is a heart inside of him. I don't need him to be forgiven easily. As I said I want journey to forgiveness which is painful yet satisfying. :)

But again, episode 2 or 3 didn't show me that Lee Hun isn't redeemable. The monk basically locked him up and he is now experiencing a cold turkey. He isn't getting any drugs and starts demanding them because if he comes back to reality he has to face all the things he has done. Which of course will heighten his paranoia. And that's really the main thing: it's not really a paranoia because there are people in court who want him dead. And those who don't, want to keep him under their control for their benefit.

I also enjoyed that there is suspicion rising towards the sudden change in the behavior of "Lee Hun". Nobody would really think of him being switched with another person because this seems to be so far off. But it would be weird if nobody is somewhat questioning why the king is suddenly acting the exact opposite. Things are going to get interesting and I'm here for it.

Lee Kyu to me is a myth. He is very loyal, still, to Lee Hun. I believe everything he does he does for Lee Hun. The fact that he gives Ha Seon the scar which I find appalling because for not one second did he think of Ha Seon as a human being. He told Ha Seon "you're going to die here". With giving him the scar he basically tells Ha Seon he isn't his own person anymore but only serves to be Lee Hun. I think Lee Kyu is still living this dream of Lee Hun being the ideal king as soon as he doesn't take drugs and isn't under the spell of Shin Chi Soo. This remains to be seen. But to me Lee Kyu is definitely not on Ha Seon's side, that's for sure.

This can still change of course but for me the scene in episode 4 made it clear: Lee Kyu's loyality lies with Lee Hun and he will do anything to have Ha Seon as the king until Lee Hun returns.

I'm excited for this to be honest. I want Lee Kyu to slowly understand what he did was wrong and that he will side with Ha Seon because of Ha Seon and not because of Lee Hun.

• Like 7

@Jillia When LK stabbed him it was symbolic in a sense . But just wondering does LH have any scar on his chest ( near the heart area) ? 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, triplem said:

@Jillia When LK stabbed him it was symbolic in a sense . But just wondering does LH have any scar on his chest ( near the heart area) ? 

Yes he does. :)

75061954b596b2a6cd7d1552c020a001a94fb4f3

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just for the clarification because my posts sound like I'm siding with Lee Hun no matter what. I don't. For me he is just the character who interests me a little bit more than Ha Seon.

Which doesn't mean I don't like Ha Seon. I love Ha Seon! He is a good person with a good heart. He cares for people and their needs and tries to help no matter what. And he does have a strong sense for justice. He even realized how he was believing and playing along the lies about the queen and Seo Hwa Dang and he is regretting it. 

But he is not happy in the palace because he knows he is played with by Lee Kyu and those who know about the switch. I LOVED the scene when he reads and dreams of the happy and carefree time with Dal Rae and Gab Soo, dancing in the high fields. It's one memorable shot for me from episode 4. I'm unsure if in the end he will stay in the palace, even if So Woon would know about his true identity. I don't think he would be happy there, even if he would end up being the better king. 

So I'm also looking forward to see his dilemma and plot resolved in throughout the drama. :D

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Jillia said:

I'm unsure if in the end he will stay in the palace, even if So Woon would know about his true identity. I don't think he would be happy there, even if he would end up being the better king. 

I agree with you. I don't know if he would and if he should. Those scenes of him with  DR and Gab Soo were so beautifully done.  I have to say that the cinematography here is gorgeous. 

I am so happy that Viu malaysia has got the rights....so I get to watch it on a legal site :D 

---------------------

It's so cold...BTS photos. Credit TVN FB

50681644_395718154333049_254729911274779

Spoiler

50151344_395718210999710_773350057682613

Spoiler

50288955_395718310999700_520883084360207

• Like 6