Quantcast
Jillia

[Drama 2019] The Crowned Clown/The Man Who Became King, 광해 / 왕이 된 남자

@Jillia That scene of Yi Heon tumbling his way out towards the end was intentionally added to confuse the viewers on which king actually returned to the palace.

I still think Yi Heon would end up in the throne and become a good King for the people. Whether with Sowoon or not, that's what I'm not sure of.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, circulate9oo said:

@Jillia That scene of Yi Heon tumbling his way out towards the end was intentionally added to confuse the viewers on which king actually returned to the palace.

I still think Yi Heon would end up in the throne and become a good King for the people. Whether with Sowoon or not, that's what I'm not sure of.

Yes, that's why I think it was important what So Woon said to her father. She apparently always felt living in the palace was suffocating and she would like to live outside rather than in the palace. Which could hint to the possible ending for her. :) 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Jillia said:

Yes, that's why I think it was important what So Woon said to her father. She apparently always felt living in the palace was suffocating and she would like to live outside rather than in the palace. Which could hint to the possible ending for her. :) 

Yes, indeed! But one thing's for sure, I want all three of them to stay alive till the end and find happiness and peace in their lives. Somehow in sageuks, someone always has to die. 

=

BTW, I don't know if you guys have seen this. 대더서관 (buzzbean11) is a youtuber who interviewed the cast and crew for the special episode and he also made a cameo for the upcoming 3rd episode. Here's his youtube video of his cameo appearance, filming with Yeo Jin Goo and the director. 

And here's his Q&A video about his cameo appearance in TCC

He said Yeo Jin Goo's really handsome and is a total pro. His lines only consists of 9 characters but he practiced so much and even asked the director if it's possible to receive a Baeksang for his appearance. LMAO. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 5

2 hours ago, Jillia said:

think for me to completely board the ship with Ha Seon and So Woon there must be truth first. First of all, Ha Seon feels a certain amount of guilt when with the Queen. He isn't Lee Hun but So Woon doesn't know he isn't her husband. So if Ha Seon falls for So Woon it's not really mutual since she isn't aware who he truly is and if she falls for him it's because she thinks Lee Hun changed. So Ha Seon would've to pretend forever to be Lee Hun if he were to stay in the palace as King and by So Woon's side. Which would only be the case if Lee Hun would disappear forever. And so far I don't see Ha Seon as someone who would want to stay in a place like the palace - especially with his sister outside and alone. BUT there was a interesting hint by So Woon who told her father that living in the palace only makes her yearn for the life outside the palace. :) 

You have a good point here . I agree that she must fall in love with the real HS. My affinity for HS has a lot to do with because he’s the underdog here - I have a thing  for championing the less advantaged & those who are repressed . I like the warmth in his personality & his love for those around him. But at the end of the day with the right sort of story development & redemption for LH , I won’t be opposed to LH - SW endgame . What concerns me is that HS’s quest for revenge may consume him. 

@jongski I would think you are the majority. LH’s characterisation is very much the typical k drama trope of “ jerk with the heart of gold “ - so loved by the audience . HS’s personality is a lot more the “second lead” who sacrifices for the girl :lol:.

Well kudos anyhow to YJG for doing such marvellous job portraying two such distinct characters. 

@circulate9oo Thanks for all the goodies you bring to this thread . I hope this drama will continue to do well.

Edited by triplem
  • Like 6

@triplem About Haseon's revenge consuming him entirely, I think his character's warmth and innocence, although slowly losing the latter, would keep him from truly going to the bad side. In his core, Haseon is a person who grew up with love and care from people around him. Which is what differs him from Yi Heon. Yi Heon grew up unloved, his mother died and his father hated him for it, and that vulnerability is probably what Shin Chisoo abused to manipulate him.

Although Haseon returned to the palace set out for revenge, it seems like he would still be the same Haseon who wears his heart on his sleeves, going by the teasers. Him studying hard with all the books, and swearing to protect the Queen. And that scene where Eunuch Jo asked him how is he so good at archery and he proudly said, "I'm gifted." :lol::lol::lol:

• Like 1
  • LOL 5

12 minutes ago, circulate9oo said:

Part 1 OST is now out!

It's a little boy singing :w00t:

So damn talented!

• Like 5

I am with @jongski.  Old fashioned to the core.  She married the King (YH).  She promised in sickness (yes even mental ones) and in health, till death do us part.  Unless YH dies or he divorces her, the promise stands.  She may be falling in love with the Clown (HS) but she thinks he's her husband YH.

And I remain unconvinced YH ordered the poisoning of his little brother.  There was the back of a man shown to be there as the boy ate...could he be the other Prince?  The one now scheming with the Queen Mother?  I forget his name?  I believe YH meant it when he promised his brother that he would bring him home after sending him to exile for a while.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Berou said:

Hi, welcome :)

I've watched Ruler Master of the Mask and I can confirm there is some similarity. In both dramas someone else (the pauper) takes the place of the King/ Crown Prince and acts as a stand-in due to the fact the throne is being threatened, in Ruler the king was the puppet of a powerful organization and  didn't want his son to know the same fate, so a pauper was asked to deceive the organization and pretend to be the Crown Prince; in the crowned clown the king is the subject of multiple murder attemps that drive him insane, thus they ask someone who has the same face as him to play the king . But the similarity stops there, everything else is different :)

Thank you for the explanation! I finally watch both episodes and I really love Lee Se Young's character:wub:

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, lightbringer06 said:

No one is streaming, chingu-deul?^^ No live recaps for tonight's episode? :wub:

Unfortunately I'm not able to watch it live today. :)

• Like 3

Idk why it took me this long but I just realised that the Emperor's eunuch in this show is the same one from the movie :scream:

• LOL 4

Can't watch it live...TVN stream links have been a problem for me but some YT vids are out...

This scene is so cute. The Eunuch wondered how come HS is so good at archery - flashback to the time when he used to take part in archery games to make money

ooooo I love this scene...eeeeeek romance ....so our sweet queen goes to the wishing pond late at night to make a wish but her stones keep missing the pot in the middle of the lake and HS comes along and helps her ! :love: HS is falling for her ...urghhh now I have a bad feeling that she'd feel betrayed when she realises he isn't the king

Darn

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

5 hours ago, triplem said:

You have a good point here . I agree that she must fall in love with the real HS. My affinity for HS has a lot to do with because he’s the underdog here - I have a thing  for championing the less advantaged & those who are repressed . I like the warmth in his personality & his love for those around him. But at the end of the day with the right sort of story development & redemption for LH , I won’t be opposed to LH - SW endgame . What concerns me is that HS’s quest for revenge may consume him. 

@jongski I would think you are the majority. LH’s characterisation is very much the typical k drama trope of “ jerk with the heart of gold “ - so loved by the audience . HS’s personality is a lot more the “second lead” who sacrifices for the girl :lol:.

Well kudos anyhow to YJG for doing such marvellous job portraying two such distinct characters. 

@circulate9oo Thanks for all the goodies you bring to this thread . I hope this drama will continue to do well.

I like Ha Seon a lot and I think he and So Woon have potential.:D And he is from the beginning a man who is very innocent and doesn't know anything about the world. He jokes about the king and the queen without thinking about the consequences or whether the things are true or not. He only say "everyone is doing it".

That's why I like that the drama, in the end, isn't painting Ha Seon as the goody good guy. He does have a idealistic view on the world but as soon as he witnesses bad things or injustice he reacts without much thought. It was both, brave and reckless, to storm to the house of the man who raped his sister. It honors him he wants to have justice for what's done but I fear he might end up losing himself in the wish for revenge.

But on the other hand it would've been too easy to make him the "better" king who will in the end replace Lee Hun. We already see that the things happening to Gye Hwa and his sister Dal Rae consume him and bring him to reality. He can't laugh away everything because the evil exists everywhere.

So I'm curious what will change him and how So Woon will find out he isn't Lee Hun. We're in for a good story I'm sure. :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Jillia said:

But on the other hand it would've been too easy to make him the "better" king who will in the end replace Lee Hun. We already see that the things happening to Gye Hwa and his sister Dal Rae consume him and bring him to reality. He can't laugh away everything because the evil exists everywhere.

That's true. At this point , a lot of the screen time  is dedicated to HS taking LH's place , so I suppose my emotional investment is swayed by that. It will be good to see LH's side of things. 

SW seems like someone quite intuitive, I wonder if she can already tell the difference in the way HS handles himself compared to LH.

Edited by triplem
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, triplem said:

That's true. At this point , a lot of the screen time  is dedicated to HS taking LH's place , so I suppose my emotional investment is swayed by that. It will be good to see LH's side of things. 

SW seems like someone quite intuitive, I wonder if she can already tell the difference in the way HS handles himself compared to LH.

I think if they got married as children already she should know Lee Hun very well and at least be suspicious about the sudden change in behavior. :D

• Like 5

@Jillia

"I think if they got married as children already she should know Lee Hun very well and at least be suspicious about the sudden change in behavior. "

For history knowledge.....& in no relation to the drama

Queen Munseong (1576-1623) married Gwanghaegun when she was 11 in 1587 & was confer Princess Consort Munseong. In 1592 (at the last days before the Japanese invasion or Imjin Wars) at the age of 16, she was made Crown Princess. In 1608, at the age of 32 she became Queen Consort when Gwanghaegun ascended the throne

Contrary to the drama, Queen Munseong borne Gwanghaegun a son Crown Prince Yi Jil (이지, 李祬) in 1598

Gwanghaegun died in Jeju-do in 1641 age 67, although he was initially buried in Jeju-do but in 1643,  according to his last will, he was move to the present Gwanghaegun Myo ( 남양주 광해군묘) in Namyangju Gyeonggi-do that he wish to buried at the down-right side of his mother Royal Noble Consort of Gongbin of Kim clan tomb.

Gwanghaegun is buried together with his Queen, Queen Munseong  who had died in Ganghwa Island in 1623, was initially buried in Yangju then move to join her husband at the present site in 1643. 

Gwanghaegun had a Royal Tomb (myo) befitting of his Princedom rank not King

In 2002, a Cyber Joseon Dynasty network render Gwanghaegun a temple name although it is an unofficial bestowment as the Bureau that confer temple name " The Bureau of Rites" (Yejo, 예조) or Hongmungwan (Office of Special Advisors,홍문관 弘文館) no longer exist.

Gwanghaegun with a temple name (묘호,廟號) of Hyejong (혜종,惠宗) & his posthumous official title is 혜종 경렬성평민무헌문대왕 (惠宗 景烈成平愍武獻文大王- Hyejong Gyeong Ryeol Seong Pyeong Min Mu Heon Mun Dae Wang)

For Queen Munseong of Ryu Clan, she had been bestowed as Queen Hyejang (혜장왕후,惠章) & her posthumous official title is 소온사헌혜장왕후 (昭溫思獻惠章王后 - So Eun Sa Heon Hyejang Wanghu)

The tomb had been upgrade to King's tomb with the given name Yeolneung (열릉,烈 陵).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

The best shot. He looks serious and fierce.:angry: Although he is not a king, he can react to the true king's mother.:sweatingbullets:

2r3sg0.gif

• Like 6