Quantcast
Jillia

[Drama 2019] The Crowned Clown/The Man Who Became King, 광해 / 왕이 된 남자

39 minutes ago, triplem said:

I too am curious how it has come to this. From flashbacks , she seems to have good memories of him. He really desires her here but yet he did not force himself on her . There’s some shred of decency left in spite of him being so heavily dependent on opium . ( That court lady is the one whose been controlling things - who does she work for ?)  Also something about what her Father said to her about him being very  capable or something, seems to suggest he has not always been like this Nor has their relationship been so broken before. 

Me, too. From the things that she says, it seems as if the two of them had been close as they were growing up, but have since become farther apart. I thought it was curious that he did not force himself on her, so he still respects her and has regard for her, regardless of his other feelings and paranoia.

That court lady is clearly a bad one, and probably in league with Shin Chi Soo, it looks like. They seem to have a vested interest in keeping the king weak and pliable.

42 minutes ago, triplem said:

While there’s no justification for murder on one own’s Brother , I suppose in that day & age , it’s either you kill or be killed . Whatever advice he may have gotten & the insecurities he felt as a one who is not quite the rightful heir to the throne ( given that his mum was a concubine (?)) , pushed him to get rid of the Brother . As we can see up till this day , assassination attempts on his life are numerous...so I can see why . 

It was heartbreaking and cruel, but with the paranoia that the king is under, I can see him getting rid of anyone whom the rebels can rally behind even if it's his younger brother who clearly looked up to him. I had heard of a rather savage saying once that the children of one's enemy will grow up to be the enemy themselves to justify the killing of children. I can see that this world subscribes to such edicts. :(

The killing of the king's brother, like the rape of HS' sister, I think denotes the relative lawlessness of this world, when one has money and power. I don't know if Lee Hun has any moral compass left, or if So Woon could ever play that role for him, if he would even let it. As such, I think that HS may actually become the king as one who is not so far gone to his sensibilities and thus may be able to carry out the responsibilities of the king, albeit with the king's face. Then again, I'm also sure that HS will be found out to be a fake king, it's just a matter of time and by whom.

Given that we've only seen the first 2 episodes, I'm very curious as to where the drama will take it.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I have been wondering if this drama gonna be a very dark drama, but I think based on this statement from PD there gonna be light and warm scenes as the story progress :)

"Although some settings in the first two episodes may overlap with the original film, after incidents that incur the clown-made-to-king wanting to become a real king, the rest of the story will be very different," said the director. "If my previous work was more critical and cynical to the world, I would say my new drama is a warm story. It includes characters who want to change the world on their own will and in doing so, create new human relationships and that will be distinctive point of this drama." 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, sal2 said:

I have been wondering if this drama gonna be a very dark drama, but I think based on this statement from PD there gonna be light and warm scenes as the story progress :)

"Although some settings in the first two episodes may overlap with the original film, after incidents that incur the clown-made-to-king wanting to become a real king, the rest of the story will be very different," said the director. "If my previous work was more critical and cynical to the world, I would say my new drama is a warm story. It includes characters who want to change the world on their own will and in doing so, create new human relationships and that will be distinctive point of this drama." 

Glad to know this^^. I'm taking then that this will be a happy ending perhaps? I don't want another sageuk tragedy again, coz I'm too heartbroken for it..I'm too shattered to be broken, what will be left of me..lol.

Anyways, can't wait for tomorrow!

• Like 5

Hi everyone! So I was very disappointed...

To find that there were only two episodes out right now! I was extremely happy to see it be 1 hour and a half long-- since there seems to be SO MUCH packed into a single episode. I'm actually glad about seeing Lee Se-young again as a larger role, as my last drama with her was Hwayugi as Buja and her role left (definitely) an imprint so I'm glad to see her again for sure. Her chemistry with Yeo Jin-goo so far is :thumbsup:.

I was actually wondering if he saw if it was SCS that asked about the cost of the 2 dogs at the market and telling his servant to toss the clown 2 coins to solve the problem at hand. If he did, well, his mission back to the palace must be to eliminate SCS and to take justice for his sister. There was no way for him to change that fast from wanting escape to desiring to actually become the king if he didn't have a rational reason.

Can't wait for more character and plot development! So excited!

• Like 8

Just watched the first 2 eps. Its so good. Just know that its the queen who rejected the king. Thought the other way around. 

Hi all! I was just wondering, is The Crowned Clown and The Master of the Mask has similar plots? I haven't watch this drama nor the movie but I'm really interested in it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, greezlybee said:

Hi all! I was just wondering, is The Crowned Clown and The Master of the Mask has similar plots? I haven't watch this drama nor the movie but I'm really interested in it.

Welcome to the thread. :)

Both dramas are completely different. So it's definitely worth to check it out. :D

• Like 7

4 hours ago, dotonly said:

Just watched the first 2 eps. Its so good. Just know that its the queen who rejected the king. Thought the other way around. 

Yessssss. I liked how they specifically said it was the Queen who rejected the King. In a time where it's kind of widely male dominated, the Queen rejecting the King is a nice concept from the drama. :blush:

• Like 5

I think the Queen (and her now exiled Father) is the only one actually consistently hanging onto the hope that there is the potential of a 'good' King in YH.  Royal Secretary hopes that too but seeing he is right in the thick of all the killing and madness, even he is wavering in his faith.  Everyone else has given up on him.  So he sees in her eyes the measure of the man he should be.  Her disappointment cuts deeper than any reprimand or slap.  It fills him with self loathing that he cannot meet her standards even though he desperately wants to because he loves her. Her 'indifference' to everything that seems to be happening around him infuriates him so he acts out in an attempt to get a response from her (any response will do, it's attention seeking, a desperate cry for help) - and he achieved that when her Father was accused of treason.  She finally 'came' to him to beg for mercy.  @packmule3 unpacks (pun intended :lol:) it more in her blog here

http://bitchesoverdramas.com/2019/01/12/the-crowned-clown-episode-1-cont/

• Like 8

First OST will be released today. The song is called "If I Can See Her Again" by Oh Yeon Jun. :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Will there be a time when the Queen wants her husband back but its the (not the real) King turns to rejected her.

12 hours ago, greezlybee said:

Hi, welcome :)

I've watched Ruler Master of the Mask and I can confirm there is some similarity. In both dramas someone else (the pauper) takes the place of the King/ Crown Prince and acts as a stand-in due to the fact the throne is being threatened, in Ruler the king was the puppet of a powerful organization and  didn't want his son to know the same fate, so a pauper was asked to deceive the organization and pretend to be the Crown Prince; in the crowned clown the king is the subject of multiple murder attemps that drive him insane, thus they ask someone who has the same face as him to play the king . But the similarity stops there, everything else is different :)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, dotonly said:

Will there be a time when the Queen wants her husband back but its the (not the real) King turns to rejected her.

That's kind of what happened in Ep 2 when Haseon ran away even after the Queen finally opened up and begged him to stay. 

Loving all the discussions here! Keep them coming, everyone!

I have a feeling that there's got to be more to Shin Chisoo and Yi Heon's relationship, as to why he's letting Shin Chisoo do all this mess. It's not like he's unaware, but he's choosing to look the other way around. It was mentioned at the start that it is thanks to Shin Chisoo that Yi Heon managed to get the throne. Even when he's high, he's perfectly aware that Shin Chisoo requested his FIL's execution so Shin Chisoo can get rid himself of an enemy. And I'm not sure if it's been perfectly translated but when he found out that his concubine, Seon Hwadang has a hidden talisman, he said, "It must've come from that greedy old man." 

Yi Heon is totally .....up but those moments of vulnerabilities that he only shows to the people he trusts (Yi Kyu and the Queen) make me feel so sad for him. We've seen how a few days in the palace messed Haseon up, from that dorky clown who easily smiles to that man with an empty and broken expression at the end that evenYi Kyu confused him for the mad King. No wonder Yi Heon turned up the way he is. And we've also seen right at the beginning how his father hated him (which probably stems from the fact that Yi Heon's mother died from giving birth to him). He's a despicable kind of character but apparently he was once a man of good virtues and caliber, it would be tragic to see him fully descend in to madness. Hopefully, Yi Kyu can manage to bring back the man he once was.

There's a spoiler I've read over at theqoo, don't know enough Korean to know the details, but I'll put it in the spoiler:

Spoiler

Yi Heon and Dallae will eventually meet. I'm so curious how's that going to go down. 

With all of that said.. I'm currently sailing the Haseon x Sowoon ship~ heee

Edited by triplem
Pls don’t bypass swear filter. TQ
  • Like 3

New stills of HS training 

@circulate9oo I’m on that same ship , though I’m very curious to how YH & SW were prior to him spiralling out of control. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, triplem said:

@circulate9oo I’m on that same ship , though I’m very curious to how YH & SW were prior to him spiralling out of control. 

I'd say they once had mutual respect and supported one another really greatly. It's also been said  that Yi Heon once listened to Sowoon's advice back then. It's apparent that Yi Heon loves the Queen but I'm not sure if it's the same for Sowoon even pre-madness. Reason I'm saying that is because on Sowoon's video teaser, when Haseon arrives and takes her hand, she says, "At last, I have fallen for His Majesty." But that's just solely from the teaser. XD

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Part 1 of the OST for The Crowned Clown will be released later! It will be by Oh Yeonjoon titled, "If I Could See You Again" [오연준 | 다시 볼 수 있다면]

00R22bt.png

I can't believe a kid would be singing the first OST but WOW I'M SO EXCITED! I could already sense it's gonna be so good! Listen to Oh Yeonjoon here! He's amazing!

Spoiler

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

@triplem @circulate9oo

I think for me to completely board the ship with Ha Seon and So Woon there must be truth first. First of all, Ha Seon feels a certain amount of guilt when with the Queen. He isn't Lee Hun but So Woon doesn't know he isn't her husband. So if Ha Seon falls for So Woon it's not really mutual since she isn't aware who he truly is and if she falls for him it's because she thinks Lee Hun changed. So Ha Seon would've to pretend forever to be Lee Hun if he were to stay in the palace as King and by So Woon's side. Which would only be the case if Lee Hun would disappear forever. And so far I don't see Ha Seon as someone who would want to stay in a place like the palace - especially with his sister outside and alone. BUT there was a interesting hint by So Woon who told her father that living in the palace only makes her yearn for the life outside the palace. :) 

As for Lee Hun and So Woon: I wonder if So Woon only ever felt friendly feelings towards Lee Hun, even prior to his madness? I got the feeling there was mutual respect and maybe even love involved. Or maybe Lee Hun is really the one who was and still is feeling love and desire for So Woon and while she met her husband with friendly feelings she was never IN love with him. Which would make his fate even more tragic.

• Like 4

Am I in the minority?  I like Yi Heon So Woon.  I like the real King. Yi Heon likes the queen but.. with all his paranoia and madness and sadness. Yi Heon is vulnerable. I would hope that at least it is through her that he gets to turn around things.

So yeah, I want them the end game.

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

@Jillia That's also true. Sowoon should also know the truth behind Haseon's identity, but I don't even know when this would be revealed. And it also goes the same for Yi Heon. The husband whom she thought has returned to his old days, isn't really the same guy after all. It's going to be a complicated ride that's for sure. I'm on the camp that Sowoon was never in love with the King. 

@jongski Actually, if you look at Korean threads, Yi Heon x Sowoon is a highly popular ship. :D 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jongski said:

Am I in the minority?  I like Yi Heon So Woon.  I like the real King. Yi Heon likes the queen but.. with all his paranoia and madness and sadness. Yi Heon is vulnerable. I would hope that at least it is through her that he gets to turn around things.

So yeah, I want them the end game.

You're not alone. :) 

I think with So Woon and Lee Hun, they once were somewhat happily married or at least were not hating each other. And it's heavily hinted that Lee Hun was actually once a good man who was good to his wife and gifted with all attributes to be a equally good king.

I would find it not very believable to replace Lee Hun with Ha Seon and remove Lee Hun in one way or the other. At the moment despite all the faults Lee Hun is still redeemable to me and if it's well-written I would be in for a redemption arc for him and a possible reunion with So Woon. But only time will tell if it happens or if in the end Ha Seon and So Woon are endgame. For me it must be well-written and explained though.

Btw... did anyone notice the weirdly edited scene in episode 2 with Lee Hun leaving his hiding place? I was so confused by it because right afterwards the guard tells Lee Kyu "His Majesty has returned" and Lee Kyu thought that it was actually Lee Hun, not Ha Seon, who had returned. 

• Like 4