Jillia

[Drama 2019] The Crowned Clown/The Man Who Became King, 광해 / 왕이 된 남자

6 hours ago, circulate9oo said:

LSY: *mentions a spoiler*

YJG: That's a spoiler, a spoiler!

*LSY gets flustered*

YJG: Jungjeon...

Caption: An angle of a married couple fighting

Even cuter. YJG is calling LSY "Queen" when he calls her "Jungjeon". I do think it's very cute how they refer to each other by their royal appellations even when they talk about each other in the interviews. I know it's promo activities, but it's also a level of comfort that allows them to tease each other like that.

Even better since LSY is about 5 years older than YJG? Bet you all didn't realize you were watching a noona romance, did you? :lol:  Just joking since those are just the actors' ages and not the characters' ages.

To be honest, I hadn't really been all that impressed with LSY as an actress in her projects to date, but I do like her performance in the opening episodes of this drama. Also, it's interesting to see her being so relaxed in the interviews. Given their respective age differences, even more than that she is the woman, it really would have been up to LSY to allow/disallow whatever casualness and familiarity they have with each other, so the rapport they clearly have with each other off the drama is very much a credit to her.

On 1/9/2019 at 2:47 PM, loversbridge said:

The first part of the second episode was really funny, the second part not so much.

*Negative opinion here so please feel free to ignore me*

@loversbridge, I wanted to mention that this was really shocking to me as well. I didn't really see that coming. However, I think I can understand why that scene was written into the script. I think they wanted a strong motivation for Ha Seon, who had seen the crazy that is palace life and wanted to escape it to the normalcy of his life with his sister and the acting troupe, to return to the palace. HS had thought that if only he could get back to his family and friends, that they could continue to live their happy lives together. However, the reality of society was that might makes right, and the rich were generally not being held accountable for their actions, no matter how despicable they may be. I think HS sees that in the palace, even though he's a fake, that he might be able to at least temporarily hold power enough to avenge his sister. HS, as a bright, cheerful young man would have no reason to go back into that den of snakes aka the palace otherwise.

I haven't watched the movie, but given the actor that was cast in the movie versus the actor that is cast in this drama, I think that they may be going with a slightly different characterization and plotline here. Not to mention that the longer drama form needs more elements in it to make for a satisfying story than the shorter movie form.

Anyway, all of the things that he has gone through in the palace in addition to the direct attack on his sister should cause HS to really try to see what is happening in the governance of the subjects, I think. HS already has had some taste of the injustices suffered by the common subjects even before finding out what happened to his sister. And, now he will be motivated to try to do something while he is the king rather than be the obedient puppet that he is expected to be. It should make for some headaches for the status quo regime anyway.

Despite the horrific nature of the scene with HS' sister, I'm expecting this drama to be a lively one rather than a tragic one after watching the first 2 episodes. Perhaps a bit more Hong Gil Dong than Six Flying Dragons. 

I'm glad you're going to continue to watch anyway despite that scene. :) 

• Like 10

I also wanted to say that LSY and YJG's offscreen chemistry is 

tumblr-lvwmit-X42k1r6vdu8o1-400.gif

Despite their age difference, I agree that it doesn't show as much. I don't know much about LSY but I kinda like her personality during their interviews, esp. her interactions with YJG. And her calling him Oppa is so adorable, shows she genuinely admires YJG as well :D. I remember when someone posted here when LSY showed during Weekend Playlist  that YJG is her wallpaper, ha ha..

• Like 5
  • LOL 3

Hi chingu After I watched the drama in the second episode, I liked it a lot. It was a good drama. Along with the leading actors I like every character Especially the actor Yeo Jin goo, this character is very suitable for him. He showed it well. I saw more development in his performance. I hope that in the future he will become a leading actor and become more accepted and popular.:thumbsup:

• Like 9

On 1/9/2019 at 10:52 PM, nrllee said:

If there's any concern raised in my mind it would be this.  It's galloping along at a cracking pace, leaving the audience very little breathing space or lull.  I was rather hoping for it to slow down a bit with more comedy to lighten up the mood but the writer opted to speed through the scenes of HS acclimatizing to becoming a King and by the end of Ep 2 is already at the point where he's ready to potentially head over to the dark side himself with that declaration of crushing his enemies.  

It can't possibly sustain this sort of pace and tension right through to the end?  Whereas before, things outside the Palace seemed to be the place where you can relax a bit, now even the darkness has spread there.

So the only place left within the drama for any lighter moments would be potentially scenes between HS/SW (romance) and possibly Head Eunuch/HS bromance.  Everywhere else is dark.  Perhaps that is SW's role to play.  Thus far she has been the one pointing the King (real and fake) to the light and her steady influence may be the contrast needed to take us to the end without depressing us too much in the process.  I'm not saying it's a bad thing.  Writer has certainly GOT my attention.  She accomplished that in Ep 1.  Ep 2 left me still on the edge of my seat.  The gritty reality was hard to watch - the scenes with the deranged monarch forcefeeding LSM's Niece and then the maid was brutal viewing...the rape I think everyone knew was coming...but it was still difficult to stomach.  I am really hoping for a bit more light hearted viewing to ease the tension in my brain?  Shock tactics are great devices to capture the audience's attention but when you over saturate us with it, it loses its desired effect because of the lack of contrast with niceties.  I am interested to see where the writer will take us next so I will stay on the bus still howbeit on the edge of my seat.

Don't worry, @nrllee.

This kdrama is on tvN Monday/Tuesday night timeslot, right? I suspect this to be another one of those of prolonged, dragged-out love triangles with a guess-who-she'll-end-up-with mystery tossed in to increase viewership ratings. :lol: I've no doubt that the writer(s) will know how to milk the story to give us 16 episodes worth of drama. tvN has done this over and over again, most recently with that Mama Fairy kdrama. 

I'll join you all for a while since I'll be blogging about this...at least until I find the "prince vs pauper" theme sustainable. Really now, I don't recall Mark Twain's "The Prince and The Pauper" being about rivalry but about brotherhood but this is kdrama after all, so anything goes. 

Here's an except from my blog: 

http://bitchesoverdramas.com/2019/01/11/the-crowned-clown-episode-1

I didn’t intend falling in love with the encounter between the crazy king and his queen but there's something wretched about him asking her to care.

He charges to her palace and her private room like a bull on a rampage.

King: When someone is so desperate to have a son that she comes to me with a talisman, how come you are not doing anything?

To me he sounds affronted that she allowed the concubine to visit him. He’s protesting that she didn't defend her position as the Queen. The concubine wanted her Royal spot badly enough to acquire a talisman for pregnancy. The concubine's status would have been elevated among the other concubines had she borne him a son because she was able to accomplish something that the Queen hadn’t: produce an heir.

But instead of guarding her spot at his side, the Queen passively accepted the concubine’s challenge. The Queen's tolerance and inaction would suggest that she welcomed the interloper and, to me, THAT's the real reason the King is enraged.

9X1FnhN.jpg

I'll watch Episode 2 hopefully tonight or tomorrow.  We're expecting snow so I'll be indoors tomorrow catching up on kdramas...

Spoiler

unless the neighborhood kids use our driveway for sledding. It's a packmule3's family tradition; we have an open house on the first big snow day of the year and will serve hot cocoa with marshmallow to the kids and hot mulled cider to their parents.  :lol: 

• Like 6
  • LOL 3

14 minutes ago, packmule3 said:

To me he sounds affronted that she allowed the concubine to visit him. He’s protesting that she didn't defend her position as the Queen. The concubine wanted her Royal spot badly enough to acquire a talisman for pregnancy. The concubine's status would have been elevated among the other concubines had she borne him a son because she was able to accomplish something that the Queen hadn’t: produce an heir.

But instead of guarding her spot at his side, the Queen passively accepted the concubine’s challenge. The Queen's tolerance and inaction would suggest that she welcomed the interloper and, to me, THAT's the real reason the King is enraged.

hahaha man are so hard to please :D 

u let them have concubine they are upset and when u dont they say you are possessive..... sigh **MEN** :P 

• Like 3
  • LOL 4

4 minutes ago, angelangie said:

hahaha man are so hard to please :D 

u let them have concubine they are upset and when u dont they say you are possessive..... sigh **MEN** :P 

Hey... I don't mind if my husband gets his concubine as long as I have my own pool boy.

Spoiler

Image result for pool boy

Wait a second... The King has his concubines, and the Queen is going to get her court jester or the sageuk version of a kpop idol. lol. 

• LOL 7

For me there is always some clarity when I write my thoughts on the first episodes. :) So I hope you don't mind if I share my first impressions. :D 

First impression - Part 1:

Production:

The production looks typical tvN high quality standard. They put a lot of money in it which can be seen in the filming at historical sights, the costumes, props and even the studio filming sets look really good. :) 

Filming itself is very standard. Some scenes are very well framed but also so far nothing out of the ordinary. I mean don't get me wrong. It looks extremely good and in the end it's just a drama but there was no scene which stood out in regards of filming and framing. BUT the first two episodes looked GORGEOUS!

Music:

I enjoy the music very much. Even though no melody stayed with me but yet everytime  BGM starts I feel like the music editor has done something right. And I think it was @nrllee who mentioned it, there is this scene with the Queen and a piano (?) piece is playing in the background which is definitely a classical piece but I can't remember which one. :) Anyway I like it when a historical drama is okay with using not historical music pieces.

Acting:

Yeo Jin Gu is Yeo Jin Gu. He is extremely talented already and he can only get better. I already worry when he leaves for military service in the next years because I want him to act and act and act. He is also so at home in sageuks. And the way he portrays Lee Hun and Ha Seon so differently. It's another level.

As for Lee Se Young: I have to admit from all the child actors she is one of them I really can't remember and I never really watched any of the dramas she was in. The more pleasantly surprised I am to see her in this drama basically discovering her for the first time. :)She is doing great as queen and is able to exude as much dignity as Yeo Jin Gu does. They have amazing chemistry as well.

I don't think words are needed for veterans like Kim Sang Kyung, Jung Hye Young and the rest of the cast because they're known in the industry and known for quality. I really want to see more of them as well in this drama. :D

Since I feel like when I start talking about the plot this post will keep getting longer I will cut it here and post my thoughts on the plot in another one. :) 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, packmule3 said:

Don't worry@nrllee.

This kdrama is on tvN Monday/Tuesday night timeslot, right? I suspect this to be another one of those of prolonged, dragged-out love triangles with a guess-who-she'll-end-up-with mystery tossed in to increase viewership ratings. :lol: I've no doubt that the writer(s) will know how to milk the story to give us 16 episodes worth of drama. tvN has done this over and over again, most recently with that Mama Fairy kdrama. 

I'll join you all for a while since I'll be blogging about this...at least until I find the "prince vs pauper" theme sustainable. Really now, I don't recall Mark Twain's "The Prince and The Pauper" being about rivalry but about brotherhood but this is kdrama after all, so anything goes. 

:lol:...yeah I know...I was hoping for some reprieve from the shock tactics (I am still suffering from the afterglow of another more languid Sageuk *cough* so I am feeling downright 'uncomfortable' :lol: with this breakneck pace)....but in hindsight I think the writer sped us through it because (as someone said in a post I forget who), she's gotten us to the end of the movie (?).  She knew full well she was rehashing an already well known and well loved story so she probably raced through everything to get us there quickly so she can start to break new ground.  I do find the mad King intriguing - howbeit scary.  How did he descend to that madness and is there hope for redemption for him?  The Clown is already showing signs of descending into that similar mental state with vengeance as his motivation.  Will the Queen be the salvation for them both?  She sounds to be.  Will she die in the process?  I hope not... But clearly both love the same woman.  Who will she choose?  To be continued... 

Yes I am strapped in for the ride.  :D

• Like 7
  • LOL 2

34 minutes ago, Jillia said:

As for Lee Se Young: I have to admit from all the child actors she is one of them I really can't remember and I never really watched any of the dramas she was in. The more pleasantly surprised I am to see her in this drama basically discovering her for the first time. :)She is doing great as queen and is able to exude as much dignity as Yeo Jin Gu does. They have amazing chemistry as well.

This is the first time I am watching her as well . I love how elegant she is and the way she carries herself is very regal. To be honest female leads can make it or break it for me in any drama I follow. I decided to give this a go when watched the teasers of the two of them. 

Ahhh how pretty is this? This drama will likely break my heart but I am in for the ride too @nrllee

Stills credit TVN FB page.

49728081_391922131379318_663528776004534

50026325_391922114712653_896384335088923

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Hello! Nice to meet all of you :)

It's been a while since the last time I joined a drama forum but this drama leaves me craving for healthy discussions and spazzes with fellow kdrama watchers, so here I am~ Looking forward to Monday and lots of tidbits from you all :D

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Jillia said:

And I think it was @nrllee who mentioned it, there is this scene with the Queen and a piano (?) piece is playing in the background which is definitely a classical piece but I can't remember which one

Schubert Standchen (Serenade)...  :wub:

EDIT - the King obviously has feelings for his Queen.  From his violent behaviour with the other women in his life I was expecting no different when it came to her...but he didn't force himself on her.  And from his conversations it looks like he never has?  She has refused him and he's just acquiesced?  He obviously wants her but he won't take her by force?  She holds power over him.  It's almost as if she is the balm for his troubled soul and he wants desperately to please her.  She still believes in him and he's conflicted because he knows his actions disappoint her.  Even when he gave the order to behead his Father-in-law in his drug induced state, he accused the Royal Minister (I forget his title) of having the same disappointed look in his eyes as his Queen.  She acts like his conscience.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

First impression - Part 2:

Plot:

I love the overall setup for the story. 

I have to say I want Lee Hun's character to be layered. I know he isn't likable in terms of that it's clear from the beginning he was made into the person he now is but I think the drama will be tell how 

Because to me Lee Kyu and So Woon are somewhat a mirror to the past. The way Lee Kyu respects Lee Hun despite his fault but also the fatherly hurt when he is seeing him drugged and spreading pig blood in a bizarre shamanistic (?) ritual on his face and the shock at his actions it's telling that Lee Hun was once - and may he tries to see him as this king still - a good man who could be a good king.

So I find it realistic Lee Kyu doesn't side with Ha Seon right away but remains loyal to Lee Hun. For now. And in the end he is does have a heart and empathy.

And So Woon... after episode 2 I'm sure that she and Lee Hun once had a deep emotional connection and even were in love. He was once a man who comforted her when she felt lonely in the palace without even asking why. So he was patient and probably happy to have someone by his side who would share the burden of being a king with. And I think he still loves So Woon enough to be vulnerable around her. He doesn't excude aggressiveness the same way he did towards his concubine. He is just deeply angry to have found out that So Woon would approve of him having a son with another woman.

But instead of facing their problems he falls back into his now normal pattern of vulgarities and she has just given up or given in. Which can be blamed on the drugs given to Lee Hun and the influence the people siding with Shin Chi Soo but also he made his decision to act the way he does. But I also think he wants to provoke a reaction from So Woon. Either for her to give him a reason to cut all the emotional ties he does have with her or as a way to ask for help. Who would ask his queen why she doesn't use shamans to curse the concubines?

Ha Seon however is the complete opposite of Lee Hun. He is a commoner who seems carefree but very loving toward the people he loves and counts as family. Of course it's easy for him to take Lee Hun's palace if he would never open his mouth and always remains in closed . But what did Lee Kyu expect? For a commoner just to sit by and do nothing and for Ha Seon to easily slip into the role of a king? A role which needs education and preparation? It only shows that

Ha Seon's interactions with So Woon were cute and also showed that while she was surprised that her husband was suddenly so nice and giving, she also mentions that she recognized in him her husband when he was a crown prince. So again, Lee Hun was once a good man. And this makes it difficult for me to really ship So Woon with Hae Seon. 

First of all: Ha Seon isn't Lee Hun and So Woon loves/loved Lee Hun. Second: even if So Woon's feelings come back... they come back for Lee Hun, not for Ha Seon. And third: Ha Seon reluctantly is living a lie. He was uncomfortable when So Woon mentioned "their" time together as the crown princely couple. Sooner or later the truth will come out or/and Ha Seon might disappear and when Lee Hun comes back unchanged things will go back to how they were in the beginning. Unless some sort of redemption happens to Lee Hun.

I'm really interested in how the drama will resolve this issue. There are many ways to do so. The movie ending. Or a completely different ending (I have some versions in my mind which I won't share yet since then people would be able to figure out how the movie ended.).

And a last point I wanted to address: the Riverdale-lesque handling of the maid Gye Hwan and Ha Seon's sister Dal Rae. I have to admit I was surprised they didn't waste any time to bring Ha Seon back to reality. I'm still unsure whether I wanted this to happen so early and in the way they did. But I think it showed that no matter if you're a king (while the victim was the maid, the target was the king) or a commoner outside the palace, no one is safe from noblemen's corruption and power play. 

But I thought it was a bit too much to turn Shin Chi Soo's son into this evil guy who rapes young girls. For me it's acceptable to acknowledge that Shin Chi Soo would do anything to cement his power at court and that he is ruthless. Every drama needs some sort of villain. But the fact he covers up his son's more than problematic and criminal behavior by paying Ha Seon as if his sister is a dog... that's showing what a rotten apple this man and his family is. But also way too much. I would've found Shin Yi Kyeom - Shin Chi Soo's son - more interesting if he would actually struggle with the way his father acts. But instead the drama put them in the completely evil and unredeemable corner which feels very 90s k-drama style. 

10 minutes ago, nrllee said:

Schubert Standchen (Serenade)...  :wub:

Thank you! :D 

• Like 8

Hi every one!!! I’m new here! It’s been a while for me to watch a new series, none of the kdrama lately caught my attention. My last drama series was 100 days my prince, and well here am I in another seuguk drama! 

I love the story line of the characters, I love now a Days two characters in one role, love YGJ! He nailed the character nicely the bad king and the innocent while LSY is performing well, I love her since she played Buja in Korean odyssey, man that was excellent but YGJ this is the first time I see his full acting because I just watch him with small screen time in some of his previous drama. Anyway, love the conflict and I’m into political sucker drama, I hope there will be some action too! I’m really looking forward to this drama, even though what happens to his sister was horrible, he found a motive to stay in the palace and soon he will develop feeling with the queen, and of course like we all said many times already the we hope for a happy ending, well who loves tragic ending right? So anyway I can see some of familiar faces here so we will have a blast!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, nrllee said:

:lol:...yeah I know...I was hoping for some reprieve from the shock tactics (I am still suffering from the afterglow of another more languid Sageuk *cough* so I am feeling downright 'uncomfortable' :lol: with this breakneck pace)....but in hindsight I think the writer sped us through it because (as someone said in a post I forget who), she's gotten us to the end of the movie (?).  She knew full well she was rehashing an already well known and well loved story so she probably raced through everything to get us there quickly so she can start to break new ground.  I do find the mad King intriguing - howbeit scary.  How did he descend to that madness and is there hope for redemption for him?  The Clown is already showing signs of descending into that similar mental state with vengeance as his motivation.  Will the Queen be the salvation for them both?  She sounds to be.  Will she die in the process?  I hope not... But clearly both love the same woman.  Who will she choose?  To be continued... 

Yes I am strapped in for the ride.  :D

No, we aren't at the ending yet.  I know the ending that's why I said I was going to bail out if I can read the handwriting on the wall. Since this is an adaptation, I expect "more" from the writer. Not necessarily a different ending because history can't be rewritten and I heard that knetz  are sensitive about revisionism. But a gifted writer can handle a more nuanced writing like in "The King Loves." We shall see... 

Yes, it's interesting how quickly even the Clown changed his world view, isn't it? 

He's only been in the palace what? A day? Two days? Three days? And his goals in life have already transformed into exactly what viewers despise and fear about the real King. He witnessed the death of his food tester and learned of the violation of his sister, and now he's already seeking the Royal Secretary's assistance in teaching him the way to survive in the Palace.  He could have opted for the second choice but no, he asked, "Tell me how to step on people mercilessly and crush them to death."  :) Oh dear.

But I guess I should have seen THAT coming, considering how he broke the kimchi jars purportedly in search of the dried corvina fish. (I'll have to explain this in my blog later.)

Yes, the Queen will probably be the antidote to both male characters' poison. But I'll have to say that I'm squeamish about any love relationship developing between the Queen and the Clown. As I said, I still draw a line on the sand when it comes to adultery, perceived or real. Plus, at the moment, she's not falling in love with the Clown so much as she's rekindling that lost (or buried) feelings she had for the King. She's remembering the past and superimposing her memories onto the Clown. 

Again, kinda weird, too: she doesn't recognize her own husband??  lol. I guess we have another "palpoongie" in our hands. :blink: What's up with these female characters?!   

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

6 hours ago, triplem said:

This is the first time I am watching her as well . I love how elegant she is and the way she carries herself is very regal. To be honest female leads can make it or break it for me in any drama I follow. I decided to give this a go when watched the teasers of the two of them. 

Ahhh how pretty is this? This drama will likely break my heart but I am in for the ride too @nrllee

Stills credit TVN FB page.

I agree. I also would say it's crucial that the actress who is so young and already portrays a queen is able to carry herself - as you said - like a queen would. Not everyone is able to do so. :) I'm very impressed. Also, she is so very sad but not self-pitying. I'm so curious if we will find out more about how she got to know Lee Hun and how they ended up as a married couple. 

I mean I know back then all girls who were old enough and therefore eligible for marriage were called to the palace for the selection of the future crown princess. But I would like to see if there was more to it with So Woon and Lee Hun. :D

• Like 5

Stills from the tvN website. :D

61430689b707ed48931155a6f1bd7cce201d8ab0

41467489e22f669c78774b73992cf3f833c3096d

1432781301b960ee40a2d1e6f759b147b1d5959c

Spoiler

67241538eefc4755efc394d3d4762d4fd65fc58e

11073197b4436a40f2983fbe3725c79fd1915c5e

592630536c38a3d56ff51a7d6f980ea6e22f6973

0892300575372f3defbf4fcb89927f0ea91cdb80

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Their relationship is so damaged and I want to know how it has come so far. And I want to slap those people who probably gave Lee Hun the drugs and made him go paranoid. Look at these two! Someone needs to fix this... like NOW!

Aigoooo.gif

Credit: I made this gif

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

But then I remember poor younger brother who was killed... :( Is Lee Hun redeemable?

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, Jillia said:

Their relationship is so damaged and I want to know how it has come so far. And I want to slap those people who probably gave Lee Hun the drugs and made him go paranoid. Look at these two! Someone needs to fix this... like NOW!

I too am curious how it has come to this. From flashbacks , she seems to have good memories of him. He really desires her here but yet he did not force himself on her . There’s some shred of decency left in spite of him being so heavily dependent on opium . ( That court lady is the one whose been controlling things - who does she work for ?)  Also something about what her Father said to her about him being very  capable or something, seems to suggest he has not always been like this Nor has their relationship been so broken before.

While there’s no justification for murder on one own’s Brother , I suppose in that day & age , it’s either you kill or be killed . Whatever advice he may have gotten & the insecurities he felt as a one who is not quite the rightful heir to the throne ( given that his mum was a concubine (?)) , pushed him to get rid of the Brother . As we can see up till this day , assassination attempts on his life are numerous...so I can see why . 

Edited by triplem
  • Like 9