Quantcast
Jillia

[Drama 2019] The Crowned Clown/The Man Who Became King, 광해 / 왕이 된 남자

OMG Just finished 2 episodes of this drama yesterday. And I must say that I LOVE IT. Usually not really a fan of saeguk drama (I am really picky when it comes to saeguk) but this one is super amazing.

Yeo jin Goo's acting is really top notch. You can definitely see the difference between the cold-blood crazy king and the charming clown. His chemistry with Lee Se Young is also adorable. Are we getting love triangle between the Queen, Clown, and King? ( I'm still getting used to their names :D)

15 hours ago, blademan said:

"You said you could do anything if I were with you."

So the King was once a nice guy? (when he was Crown Prince)

I really wish he can go back to being that version of himself :(

And the Queen...her heart is gonna be so broken when she finds out the truth :heartbreak:

I hate the king but at the same time I pity him. What made him like that as a king? Because of his father's death?

• Like 8

15 hours ago, nrllee said:

Ahh...I just thought it was a name change as in he was Crown Prince YiHon but after coronation he became King Gwanghae... Like how sometimes royalty take on new names after significant events in their lives?  Thanks for clearing that up.  Henceforth he will be referred to as YiHon or LeeHon. :)

Hehehe Yi Hon is still Gwanghae. ^^; Gwanghae's personal name is Yi Hon. Royalties' personal names are not allowed to be spoken outside the royal family. 

I'll give a bit more of context in the spoiler instead.

Spoiler

Basically, they get their personal name, their princely name, and if they become king, they eventually get a temple name upon death (like Sejong, Yeongjo, etc). Gwanghae didn't get a temple name because he got deposed as king.

Examples:

King Yeongjo

Personal name: Yi Geum

Prince name: Yeoning-gun (Prince Yeoning)

Temple name: Yeongjo

King Sejong

Personal name: Yi Do

Prince name: Chungnyeong-daegun (Grand Prince Chungnyeong)

Temple name: Sejong

Back in the drama, another example would be the Yi Heon's little brother who got killed in the first episode
Personal name: Yi Yul

Prince name: Gyeongin-daegun (Grand Prince Gyeongin)

So basically, the king's personal name in this drama is Yi Heon. :D I hope that helps.

==

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE the chemistry between Yeo Jin Goo and Lee Se Young. :wub: Haseon x Sowoon or Yi Heon x Sowoon. Right now, I'm leaning towards Haseon. That scene where the queen was cleaning up the blood on his hands and when she finally opened up her heart to the king (aka Haseon), it's heartbreaking that he had to go. :( 

==

3 minutes ago, annie1234 said:

I hate the king but at the same time I pity him. What made him like that as a king? Because of his father's death?

Same here. He is totally f*cked up and despicable but his situation in the palace definitely didn't help his mentality. I feel sad for him. I wanted to strangle him when he permitted the execution of his father-in-law but there's something with the way he sounded so broken how the queen would probably hate him even more. Gahh Yeo Jin Goo's acting is truly astounding.

He became king upon his father's death because he was the crown prince/heir to the throne.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lightbringer06 said:

So far, I enjoyed the two episodes, even though one episode is almost 80 mins, I feel like i'ts moving way too fast. And I'm quite surprised that within just two episodes, it's quite dark

If there's any concern raised in my mind it would be this.  It's galloping along at a cracking pace, leaving the audience very little breathing space or lull.  I was rather hoping for it to slow down a bit with more comedy to lighten up the mood but the writer opted to speed through the scenes of HS acclimatizing to becoming a King and by the end of Ep 2 is already at the point where he's ready to potentially head over to the dark side himself with that declaration of crushing his enemies.  It can't possibly sustain this sort of pace and tension right through to the end?  Whereas before, things outside the Palace seemed to be the place where you can relax a bit, now even the darkness has spread there.  So the only place left within the drama for any lighter moments would be potentially scenes between HS/SW (romance) and possibly Head Eunuch/HS bromance.  Everywhere else is dark.  Perhaps that is SW's role to play.  Thus far she has been the one pointing the King (real and fake) to the light and her steady influence may be the contrast needed to take us to the end without depressing us too much in the process.  I'm not saying it's a bad thing.  Writer has certainly GOT my attention.  She accomplished that in Ep 1.  Ep 2 left me still on the edge of my seat.  The gritty reality was hard to watch - the scenes with the deranged monarch forcefeeding LSM's Niece and then the maid was brutal viewing...the rape I think everyone knew was coming...but it was still difficult to stomach.  I am really hoping for a bit more light hearted viewing to ease the tension in my brain?  Shock tactics are great devices to capture the audience's attention but when you over saturate us with it, it loses its desired effect because of the lack of contrast with niceties.  I am interested to see where the writer will take us next so I will stay on the bus still howbeit on the edge of my seat.

• Like 9

I'm also curious where the writers is about to take us next. After all, eps 1-2 covered pretty much everything that was in the movie so we are about to see what the writers truly envisioned for this remake.

And there's something in the presscon that Kim Sang Kyung said.. 

Spoiler

“나도 궁금했다. PD님에게 작품을 제안받고 ‘이미 잘 된 걸 해 봐야 못하면 욕 먹을 텐데 왜 리메이크를 하려는 거냐’고 물었다. 스포일러라서 지금 말할 수는 없지만 PD님이 ‘이규(김상경)가 이렇게 한다’고 한 마디를 했다. 그 장면이 8회에 나온다. 나중에 보면 ‘이래서 김상경이 출연했구나’ 깨닫게 되는 장면이 있을 것이다(김상경)”

"I was curious. When I received the offer from the PD I asked, 'If we couldn't do what's already been done well, we will get sworn at, why do this remake?' It's a spoiler so I can't say it right now, but the PD told me, 'Yi Kyu will do this.' That scene will come out in Ep 8. If you watch that later on, you'd say, 'So this is why Kim Sang Kyung joined this project.' You will realize it in that scene." - Kim Sang Kyung

And I'm so frigging curious. X_X

• Like 8

Just got off watching with subs. I have very little background when it comes to historical dramas. And I am also one of those who love fast paced action type dramas , so I love every minute of the episode. Since I have not watched the movie, I am happy with everything..:lol:

Eps made me laugh, cry and rage. I am so emotionally invested in Ha Seon's journey. I want him to get his revenge and rule the kingdom... and  you know , I really like the romance...right now I am definitely leaning towards HS - Queen , but there must be something about YH that the queen loves. . ...anyhow our leads have such amazing chemistry...

WIWkbvJ.png

IHoQLws.png

I think my heart skipped when he said in the preview he will save her  :love:

• Like 8

For those who are interested.. a sort of a prequel to this drama

This is not  first Gwanghaegun that Yeo Jin Woo had portray.

Yeo Jin Woo played Crown Prince Gwanghae in 2017 movie "Warrior of the Dawn"

• Like 8

Claps for YJG as usual awesome acting. I don't know about you chingus but I like the king.. the Yiheon. The one who's got paranoia. Like everyone else here I was mad the way he treated his little brother. I mean 15 minutes in to episode 1 I was grrrr at hins character but as the minutes go by watching episode 1.. watching the clown prince and the real king/ prince.......I am rooting for hin.  He's bad and mentally paranoid I wish for SoWoon to  make him  good king again.. so yeah I'm Hiyeon x SoWoon.

• Like 7

Hi everyone!  Just finished watching both eps yesterday and am really impressed with how good it was.  I went in as a fan of the 2012 movie and thought that this would be the movie but 16 hours long.  And I'm super glad to be wrong.  My heart was racing pretty much the entire time.  Nearly every scene had me leaning in closer to my screen, alternating between feeling terrified and more terrified.  Saying "I enjoyed it" is the understatement of the century lol.

Now that I've gotten a little space from all the drama though, I find myself wondering just what HaSeon thinks he's going to be able to do.  The true king is still the true king, and Eunuch Jo and Minister Lee are loyal to him, even if they might have some softhearted feelings for HaSeon.   Not only that, but HaSeon is (apparently!) impulsive enough to run straight into the lions den and try the ******* who raped his sister, so I'm not hopeful that he's going to be able come up with a plan good enough to destroy Minister Shin.  But!  I hope I'm wrong!!!

• Like 7

Kim Sang Kyung :heart: I'm dating myself with my public professions for ahjusshis. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 7

10 hours ago, jongski said:

Claps for YJG as usual awesome acting. I don't know about you chingus but I like the king.. the Yiheon. The one who's got paranoia. Like everyone else here I was mad the way he treated his little brother. I mean 15 minutes in to episode 1 I was grrrr at hins character but as the minutes go by watching episode 1.. watching the clown prince and the real king/ prince.......I am rooting for hin.  He's bad and mentally paranoid I wish for SoWoon to  make him  good king again.. so yeah I'm Hiyeon x SoWoon.

Kill or be killed  @jongski In the name of the king game.. Keeping his Lil brother alive would have came back to bite him in the but with the Lil boys'mom being the dowager.. Yes it would have been more like feeding him poision in small dosages until he's dead.. I hate he killed his brother but it had to be done in order for him to survive and protect his throne.. Look the dowager is already try to replace him with one of the royal family males.. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, jeijei said:

Kim Sang Kyung :heart: I'm dating myself with my public professions for ahjusshis. 

:yum:  Ahjussi's are cute too!!!

1 hour ago, sava2sava said:

Kill or be killed  @jongski In the name of the king game.. Keeping his Lil brother alive would have came back to bite him in the but with the Lil boys'mom being the dowager.. Yes it would have been more like feeding him poision in small dosages until he's dead.. I hate he killed his brother but it had to be done in order for him to survive and protect his throne.. Look the dowager is already try to replace him with one of the royal family males..

I think this is one thing that really surprised me.  I was totally expecting that the king would find a way to kill the dowager too.  Unless he's completely blind to her anger and hatred, which he can't be, then he has to know that she's a threat to his continued existence. 

And speaking of which: why is queen dowager a-okay with the grand prince not telling her the details of the plot?  If I were her, I'd be worried that the grand prince was planning on betraying me! 

• Like 7

@lightbringer06, the clip was cute, so here is a translation of it for you, though sorry it's not a sub. I do translations, but not subs. Hope you enjoy.

Translation in the spoiler since it's a bit long. This clip is of a quiz game where the interviewer says two items, and they both have to answer at the same time to see if they match. It’s supposed to serve as an indicator of how well they’re in sync with one another. I've started the translation with the first question asked by the interviewer.

Spoiler

Interviewer: Lee Heon or Ha Seon? One, two, three
Both: Ha Seon
Interviewer: Wow, how can you answer so exactly the same? Now, you’ve gotten one right.
YJG: Yes.
Interviewer: Water Naengmyun (buckwheat noodles in a cold broth) or Mixed Naengmyun (buckwheat noodles mixed with a spicy sauce)
LSY: Mixed Naengmyun
YJG: Water Naengmyun
Interviewer: Ahhh… that’s too bad. Yes.
YJG: Well, actually, I -
LSY: We can just get a water naengmyun and a mixed naengmyun.
YJG: We wanted to share them.
Interviewer: Of course, you wanted to share them.
YJG: Since we like both of them.
Interviewer: Oh my goodness. That’s the way that this gets explained away.
Interviewer: Here, let’s go with the next one.
Interviewer: Soju or Beer? One, two, three.
Both: Soju
Interviewer: Oh! You’ve gotten 2 right, out of three questions. Oh, soju. Have you two drunk soju together?
LSY: Yes, well…
Interviewer: At a work dinner?
YJG: Yes, we had a work dinner as well.
Interviewer: How was it? Do you drink a lot?
LSY: I’m a little weak. I’m happy, but weak. (meaning that she’s not able to drink much)
Interviewer: Oh, so, even though you like to go drinking?
Interviewer: How is Jin Gu-shi?
YJG: I am also still happy just to go out drinking for the company.
Interviewer: Oh, rather than because you are drinking a lot?
YJG: Oh, that would absolutely not do.
Interviewer: Oh, is that so. Anyway, I would like to go along when you go drinking.
Interviewer: Anyway, I think that everyone in the chat room here feel the same as I do. And, we’ll go on with the next question. So far, you’ve matched twice.
Interviewer: Summer or winter? One, two, three.
Both: Summer
Interviewer: Oh, Jin Gu-shi, your answer was a little late.
YJG: Well, I -
LSY: Actually, Jin Gu-shi likes summer, don’t you? (JG just laughs)
LSY: Jin Gu-shi likes summer.
Interviewer: He did say summer.
LSY: Actually, I knew that Jin Gu-shi likes summer, so that’s why I said summer.
Interviewer: Omo! Such caring!
YJG: Actually, I…winter…
LSY: You like winter?
LSY: Really?!
YJG: Because I run really warm…
LSY: Me, too!
YJG: Then why did you answer summer?
LSY: Summer because you seem to be sensitive to the cold.
Interviewer: Everyone.
LSY: I thought you liked summer.
YJG: Actually, I… though you had better feelings about summer. How could we be of similar thoughts on this as well? (meaning they were both mistaken about the other’s preference, and were trying to match what they thought was the other’s preference despite being mistaken)
Interviewer: But, if you’re sensitive to the cold, then how can you like winter?
LSY: To be honest, while filming, rather than sweating, it’s better to endure being cold. Since if you sweat, then make up and hair needs to constantly be fixed.
YJG: And, from the body, it keeps… it keeps… If it’s cold, it’s easier.
Interviewer: Oh, of course. Of course. I suppose from an actor’s prospective, that could be the case. Even though sensitivity to the cold can be miserable as well. Anyway, even though both of you responded summer, both of you prefer winter.
Interviewer: I was totally shocked thinking that your eyes had met. (meaning they had fixed their answers with their glances somehow)
LSY: No, no.
Interviewer: The two people are currently acting in the Crowned Clown, in the middle of their acting.
Interviewer: Okay, then. You’ve matched three times.
Interviewer: Is it phone or text? One, two, three.
Both: Phone.
YJG: It’s phone.
LSY: Yes.
Interviewer: It’s phoning? Oh, I like texting better.
YJG: Ahh.
Interviewer: Do the two of you perhaps call each other often?
YJG: Calling each other…?
LSY: We haven’t done it even once.
Interviewer: Since rather than phoning, you’re seeing each other very often.
LSY: Yes. Yes.
YJG: That’s right.
Interviewer: On the shooting set. Yes. In that case, instead of having a group chat room with your friends, are you more likely to just call them, the two of you?
LSY: Yes, if I have something to say, then just calling them is good.
Interviewer: Mmm… because then you can hear their response immediately.
YJG: And, also…there is something a bit frustrating about texting.
Interviewer: That’s right. That’s right.
Interviewer: Oh, I see. So, don’t you have a little longing for an analog interaction?
LSY: Yes, also…
Interviewer: You like it, right?
Interviewer: Anyway, I would like to exchange texts and phone calls with the two of you.
Interviewer: (reading a user comment) “I also like phoning!” has been said by our “Princess”.
YJG: (also reading) “I want to phone His Royal Highness.” Yah.
Interviewer: Omo omo omo, that is a great rhyme. Isn’t it?
LSY: “I want to phone His Royal Highness.”
Interviewer: “I want to phone His Royal Highness.”
Interviewer: We’re again of the same mind.
Both: Yes.

I thought a little explanation is needed for the reason they kept on about "I want to phone the king." The Korean word for addressing a king, e.g. His Royal Highness is is "jeon-ha". The word for telephone is "jeon-hwa". So, the two words are very similar, and in fact, may sound the same to some people. So, the literal phrase is "Jeon-ha", I want to "jeon-hwa", ergo it serves as a short rhyme and is why all three of them are taken with the phrase.

• Like 3
  • LOL 3
  • Thanks 6

Thanks for translating @stroppyse:D

I wish I could watch the full video instead of just random cut clips. T_T But still I'm glad tvN uploaded pretty much the entire drama chat. They are so cute. I love the part when they both answered summer because they thought the other liked it better when in fact they both prefer winter. That's even cuter than just straight up saying winter. ♥

There was also part where LSY was asked if she prefers Dark Jingoo over Bright Jingoo... and LSY said if basing on still cuts alone, she would choose Dark Jingoo LMAO (she's talking about the bathing scene still cut), but when it comes to personality, she doesn't like bad guys and actually prefer Haseon. She likes someone she can joke around with, etc.

And then in this clip, LSY said she may still be a bit lacking in her performance, but she only has to trust Wang Oppa and looking at Wang Oppa already makes her heart flutter, so that way she can already naturally act and get into the character.

Also a bit towards the end:

Lee Se Young: The atmosphere at the filming set is really good and the staff and crew are all great and warm people. Whenever I go to the filming set, just seeing Wang Oppa already makes my heart feel comfortable.

Park Seul Gi: But he's not really your oppa, right?

Lee Se Young: "If you're handsome, then you're an oppa."

Park Seul Gi: That's right!

:lol::lol::lol:

• Like 2
  • LOL 7

Thank you so much for your translation, @stroppyse! :D 

RL is getting in my way and I have so much to say and post about. But the time will come. :lol: Until then I just read all the posts here. :) 

• Like 7

That one time when Lee Se Young accidentally mentioned a spoiler their Amazing Saturday guesting... :lol:

G7BMpXS.gif

UIDtyW9.gif

gif source

LSY: *mentions a spoiler*

YJG: That's a spoiler, a spoiler!

*LSY gets flustered*

YJG: Jungjeon...

Caption: An angle of a married couple fighting

• Like 1
  • LOL 10

"If you're handsome, then you're an Oppa" :lol:. (She's older than he is by a few years so it's okay...not so for us *cough* Ahjummas *cough*... :lol:)  

I adore Se Young.  She's so down to earth and has no airs whatsoever.  Outrageous sense of humour.  So fun to work with on set.  JinGoo and her have great chemistry.  :D

• Like 5
  • LOL 3

19 minutes ago, nrllee said:

"If you're handsome, then you're an Oppa" :lol:. (She's older than he is by a few years so it's okay...not so for us *cough* Ahjummas *cough*... :lol:)  

It reminds me of this. 

c4d0c340ea5903de9683ef0a276eb8bd.gif

Cr : dramabeans 

We should all think like her :lol:, let's not feel guilty fangirling  young actors ^^

• LOL 7

@stroppyse Thanks so much, chingu! I only understand a few but the discussions I didn't get much so your translation is a big help :D.

@nrllee Agree. Though I hope that even if it feels like it's fast paced, as long as the story is well developed, I guess I won't have any complains with it^^.

• Like 6