Quantcast
Jillia

[Current Drama 2019] The Crowned Clown/The Man Who Became King, 광해 / 왕이 된 남자 - Mon & Tue @ 21:30 KST

tvN Drama

The Crowned Clown

7P4YZN1E9K2P45KMUVH7.jpg

광해 / 왕이 된 남자

Other title: The Man Who Became King

Episodes: 16

Network: tvN

Genre: Drama, Historical

Runtime: January 7th, 2019 -

Written by: Kim Sun Duk, Shin Ha Eun

Directed by: Kim Hee Won

Watch on: VIKI

Synopsis

The drama will feature a love triangle between the king, the clown, and the queen, and is about a love that transcends class and the law.

Cast

Yeo Jin Gu as Ha Sun

f131898607911686000(0).png

Yeo Jin Gu as King Lee Hun

f131898635923670000(0).png

Lee Se Young as Queen Yoo So Woon

f131898633321590000(0).png

Kim Sang Kyung as Lee Kyu

f131898643025882000(0).png

Kwon Hae Hyo as Shin Chi Soo

f131901089472326000(0).png

Jang Gwang as Eunuch Jo

f131898630174290000(0).png

Yoon Jong Seok as Jang Moo Young

f131898630365546000(0).png

Jung Hye Young as Woo Shim

f131898644255942000(0).png

Jang Young Nam as King's Mother

f131898639347558000(0).png

Oh Ha Nee as Ae Young

f131898634020470000(0).png

Kim Soo Jin as Court Lady Park

f131898634503446000(0).png

Yoon Kyung Ho as Kab Soo

f131898631596542000(0).png

Shin Soo Yeon as Dallaeh

f131898631231034000(0).png

Seo Yoon Ah as Sunhwadang

f131901092149910000(0).png

Lee Moo Saeng as Prince Jinpyung

f131898639709790000(0).png

Min Ji Ah as Court Lady Kim

f131901090636866000(0).png

Choi Gyu Jin as Shin I Gyeom

f131898640599926000(0).png

Park Shi Eun as Gye Hwan

f131908814898452000(0).png

Lee Gyu Han as Joo Ho Geol

f131908814385368000(0).png

Lee Yoon Geon as Yoo Ho Joon

f131910412284476000(0).png

Character Chart

003217983197b312805fe2d24a3bcb1a8ba3abc5

Teaser

Other Posters

BEETDMTDHYCMBJE4Q8TF_1024x0.jpg

9UR2VTJC8NY9FYBXFDSL.jpg

01.Soompi code of conduct SOOMPI RULES FOR KDRAMA | MOVIES | ACTORS' & ACTRESS' SECTION

Don't post any requests for subs!

Anything unrelated to the drama plot is considered spamming. 

Don't quote images.

01.Due to the copyright/legal problems, no illegal streaming links will/should be posted on this thread as there had been major crackdowns going on lately.02.Any complaints about any streaming links will be counted as spam and will be reported to the mods.03.Any complaints of the respective companies such as Viki, youtube, Etc.. should be report to the respective companies instead of posting your complaints here.04.Those who are caught breaking the soompi posting rules more than 5 times will have their Id/IDs reported the mods. 05.Those who are caught promoting/posting illegal streaming links with subs ( those without permission from the orginal subbers and doesn't have copyrights like, Viki, Dramafever, Kdrama.com or Crunchyroll) will have their ID's reported to the mods for endangering Soompi to legal issues for illegal streaming sites promotions.

PLEASE GIVE CREDIT TO WHERE CREDIT IS DUE

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Finally a confirmation for the two leads. :D I'm so happy to see Yeo Jin Gu back in a sageuk! :D

• Like 3

Lee Se Young of Jang Geum drama? Long time no see her. They look good in hanbok.

• Like 2

Glad to see Yeo Jin Goo back in sageuk and it's even more awesome that he actually played the same role in his previous sageuk Warriors of the Dawn. I'd take this drama as a sequel of that movie hahaha

oiBa0no.gif

LHv1Np8.gif

EDIT: Seems like he won't be playing Gwanghae in this remake and that it will be a completely different character. According to articles, the king's name is going to be "Lee Heon" and Gwanghae's name is actually "Lee Hon". I think they are deliberately doing this so that there won't be an issue with Jingoo's age in the drama.

Edited by circulate9oo
  • Like 4

Yeo Jin-Goo & Lee Se-Young cast in tvN drama series “Masquerade”

Masquerade-CS1.jpg

Yeo Jin-Goo and Lee Se-Young are cast in upcoming tvN drama series “Masquerade.” The drama series is a remake of 2012 movie “Masquerade” starring Lee Byung-Hun and Han Hyo-Joo. For the drama series version, Yeo Jin-Goo will play dual roles of King Lee Hun and Clown Ha Sun. Because the King and the clown look so similar, the clown is brought to the palace to fill in for the King as potential assassination attempts on the King brew. Lee Se-Young will play the role of Queen Yoo So-Woon. The clown, who is filling in for the King, falls for the Queen.

“Masquerade” will first air January, 2019 in South Korea.

Source: asianwiki

• Like 3

While reading the synopsis I was like "Hmm it sounds familiar, I saw a movie like that the other day" and indeed it's the remake of Masquerade with Lee Byung Hun. I love Yeo Jin Goo, I love sageuks, and I enjoyed the movie so count me in.

• Like 2

The Man Who Became King confirms main pairing Yeo Jin-gu, Lee Se-young

yjg_lsy1.jpg

The drama remake of multi-million dollar grossing film Gwanghae, The Man Who Became King (also known as Masquerade) has confirmed Yeo Jin-goo (Reunited Worlds) in the titular role, with Lee Se-young (Hwayugi) as his queen. After wavering between drama title names (Gwanghae, The Queen’s Man), it looks like they’ve settled on The Man Who Became King.

If you haven’t seen the movie yet (you should go see it, I highly recommend it), it’s essentially an eloquent prince-and-pauper story set in Joseon. In the drama, Yeo Jin-goo will play the dual roles of King Yi Heon (later known as Gwanghae) and peasant clown Ha-sun. After having lived his life constantly paranoid and on guard against palace intrigue and assassinations, Yi Heon will trade places with Ha-sun who looks exactly like him when a poisoning attempt goes too far (which varies from the plot of the film).

Ha-sun is an orphan who lost his biological parents to a plague, and he begged and wandered the country with his adopted sister, until they were almost at death’s door from starvation. An acting troupe saved them, and ever since then, he’s been a clown-actor who fears nothing on the stage. By a series of circumstances, he ends up as a fake king on the Jade Throne, and despite his best efforts, he falls for the king’s wife, Queen So-woon, played by Lee Se-young.

Yi Heon, who had never known love from his parents, found peace when he married So-woon. However, due to his paranoia and the constant palace deceit, his relationship with her deteriorated. So when he and Ha-sun trade places, he’ll be placed in a position where he’s envious of his alter ego as So-woon (who knows nothing about the switcheroo) begins falling in love with this new side of her estranged “husband.”

yjg_lsy2.jpg

The drama production team has revealed that they want to tell this story in a new way—showing the perspective that the throne is not a place to wield power selfishly and absolutely, but rather, it is a lonely place of sacrifice for the people. Already I’m getting the heart-wrenching feels!

No doubt Yeo Jin-goo will be excellent as always, and Lee Se-young is no stranger to sageuks (The King’s Dream, Dae Jang Geum) so I have high hopes. Because they’re both well-known child stars, I thought they may have crossed paths earlier. They do have I Miss You on both their filmographies, but Yeo Jin-gu was only in the childhood scenes, while Lee Se-young had a supporting role in the present-day scenes. So it looks like this will be the first time they’ll be acting with each other.

The Man Who Became King is set to air on tvN early next year.

cr

• Like 4

I love this pairing! :wub:

I wonder if they had worked together before (as child actor and actress).

yjg_lsy2.jpg&key=d1f04b9fbdf82acd19a3016

• Like 5

2 hours ago, beyaruth said:

I love this pairing! :wub:

I wonder if they had worked together before (as child actor and actress).

They haven't although they have already appeared in the same production before (Missing You). Jingoo played the young version of the male lead and Seyoung played the male lead's younger sister.

==

BTW the title is now officially The Man Who Became King (왕이 된 남자). Director is Kim Heewon and the writer is Kim Seondeok and production is Studio Dragon.

Gw6a5di.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The movie was quite serious and the actors were all mature (tho HHJ was still young at that time).

Since both the leads for the drama are still young, so i guess they have to make the drama more light atmosphere/vibe for the young viewers? 

• Like 1

Additional Casting news! :D

The Man Who Became King production announces the casting of Kim Sang Kyung, Kwon Hae Hyo, Jang Gwang, Jung Hye Young, and Jang Young Nam - to join Yeo Jin Goo and Lee Se Young

d5iwWVS.png

ggTN6Ew.png

In case there are mistakes in the translations, apologies and please do correct me! :D

With that said, I'm so hyped with this casting! Also, I saw on IG that today's the script reading for the drama, from 2PM-6PM KST.

• Like 1

Interesting... I watched the movie, it was a good and suspense driven movie. I am waiting to see this drama. Thank you for all the previews 

Does this mean Yeo Jin Gu has wrapped up filming for the Absolute Boyfriend remake? Or will he join later? :)

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Jillia said:

Does this mean Yeo Jin Gu has wrapped up filming for the Absolute Boyfriend remake? Or will he join later? :)

This is what worries me. It seems like ABF filming has been extended until November (although ABF was supposed to wrap up by October) and he was actually filming ABF yesterday, and now he's filming TMWBK. This schedule is insane. And he's actually portraying 2 characters in TMWBK. And unlike the movie, it looks like the king in this remake won't be poisoned like in the movie. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, circulate9oo said:

This is what worries me. It seems like ABF filming has been extended until November (although ABF was supposed to wrap up by October) and he was actually filming ABF yesterday, and now he's filming TMWBK. This schedule is insane. And he's actually portraying 2 characters in TMWBK. And unlike the movie, it looks like the king in this remake won't be poisoned like in the movie. 

I hope he doesn't overwork. He looked healthy yesterday while filming ABF though. So I keep positive thoughts that he knows what he is doing and that his manager keeps a good eye on him. I think it's good though the weather is mild now, so he doesn't sweat in the heavy sageuk attire. :)

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Jillia said:

I hope he doesn't overwork. He looked healthy yesterday while filming ABF though. So I keep positive thoughts that he knows what he is doing and that his manager keeps a good eye on him. I think it's good though the weather is mild now, so he doesn't sweat in the heavy sageuk attire. :)

I totally agree! ♥ His manager seems to be a really great guy who truly looks out for him!

Spoiler

Jingoo was teased by his seniors that he's a good drinker and Jingoo said he's not, and he only shows his drunken side to his manager who would give him a piggyback ride whenever Jingoo's too drunk. There was also a time when Jingoo wasn't an adult yet and Sol Kyung Gu would slide him some drinks, and his manager would block it and drink it instead. So yeah, his manager really looks out for him. :D 

I hope he'll always be healthy and his schedule is something they have fixed beforehand... so that he won't get too overworked. 

• Like 2

Based on Yeo Jin Goo's latest IG post, I think he is now filming in Hwangmaesan in Gyeongsangnam-do, the Choi Cham Pan House was also in Gyeongsangnam-do.

There was also another person who posted the location on IG with similar images to the one Jingoo posted and added the hashtag of The Man Who Became King, and so I just put it together.

BTW to the OP, is it ok to have the main post updated? :) The title no longer involves Masquerade or Gwanghae and is now just officially called "The Man Who Became King (왕이 된 남자)" and the cast names are also now included. Thanks a lot! ♥♥♥

• Like 3