Quantcast
0ly40

[Current Drama 2018-2019] Empress Dignity / The Last Empress, 황후의 품격 - Wed & Thu @ 22:00 KST

9 minutes ago, dramaninja said:

@triplemI guess some people find almost killing  her and cheating on her great traits for a guy just because  he act sorry for once in his life.

Amen @dramaninja  Also help to fabricate a will and steal wealth that was promise to her.. I say hang him and mom out to dry..

I would love to see the end game Yoon and the sister.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, mrsj3n said:

@ktcjdrama actually. I thought that's stupid.

Calling him NWS like that.... Is like asking LH and ED to kill them faster.

:lol:

I know. I was kinda shocked too... But supposedly, they're in a private chamber... but who knows with the thin paper windows... and then the ED peeking into the room :P

• Like 2
  • LOL 7

58 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

@Lmangla Just thought you should know that we need a new count on the dead bodies after today's episode :D.... hold on though... the count became the same actually, but just need to update whose body it is :lol:

will have to wait and see the episode to see who gets added to the count.. thanks for the heads up!

keep thinking about the question posed by @Matilda_Anne; what does the empress dowager want really? why is she obsessed with making sure the emperor is a puppet? part of her ruining the lives of all these women is because she doesn't want him to think independently ever and wants him under her control. so she is constantly doing things to show who is really in power... but whatever is in that island looks like it will be her downfall. for a character like her, public humiliation and court trial will be the most horrible punishment. having everyone know your true face...

the nanny seems to be wanting to be empress dowager 2.0.. now am wondering if part of ari's brattiness is knowing that this woman wants to manipulate her and so she is purposefully putting a distance in a childlike manner... for all we know, ari may not even be nanny's child either. perhaps, some orphan kid she picked up and decided to pass as the emperor's... and wonder what will happen to dong shik...

• Like 10

It’s really interesting to me that the Korean audience vastly favors the emperor x sunny ship while the western audience tends to go for cwb x sunny. I’m basing this off of Naver comments tho so don’t know how valid my observations are but still

• Like 11

I watched the raw.

14 minutes ago, Crystal Kim said:

It’s really interesting to me that the Korean audience vastly favors the emperor x sunny ship while the western audience tends to go for cwb x sunny. I’m basing this off of Naver comments tho so don’t know how valid my observations are but still

same I find it interesting as well.

As much as I like Lee Hyuk as a character.

I feel no matter what I cant see LH and Sunny together. I feel sad for LH.

You know if the ED was a much sweeter lady, maybe LH would turn out alright. But as much as he is really just such a sad character, he is still someone who feels entitled.

The last scene where after Sunny rejected him, LH chose to handle it the way he handles everything with force and demand.

I mean, come one that isnt right... As much as he is a character that if given love would really be a wise and sweet ruler. He can't love. at least not yet.

my heart breaks for Sunny, to find out that the reason why her mother died is because the royal family overruled which led to the mother's death is sad.

LH's accident was not because of something else but more of his neglect - which i guess makes it even worse..

and I agree with you @ktcjdrama Yoon is such an underwritten character? i mean he is just using his emotions than rather his head to do everything. the fact that he didnt think that maybe just maybe the plans can go sideways. he should have expected the ED to use such underhand tactics. sigh, i hope he does reach some potential.

• Like 12

It's better to let the writer finish her/his drama not because what fans want but pure because what his/her mind want. I would love to see Na Wang Sik and Sunny get together. Just a simple reason, they show what we call warm and sweet love. If people demands Emperor should get true love, well he can get it from another girl, becaise we see Sunny start to fall to Woo Bin. I saw the emperor is creepy and obsessive rather that love. Especially when he intentionally breaking up the stuff fpr Sunny or too much 'love' for Woo Bin. He thought both of them is his. I feel sorry for him but still he needs punishment. But again, I will enjoy the drama and try not care about who end up with who

• Like 10

Hahaa, Knet really love SSR aka Kakao Talk Dog King character. Most of them want Sunny end up with him :D Although the Emperor did a lot of bad things, but i still find the chemistry between Sunny and him more interesting :wub:

Original Source (Star News via Naver): 'The Last Empress' Jang Nara kicks Shin Sung Rok, "Get out"

Spoiler

0002753912_001_20190109221205267.jpg?type=w540Screen%2BShot%2B2019-01-09%2Bat%2B11.29.49%2BPM.png

1. [+773, -19] So freaking refreshing ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ He tried to kill her before.. Hit him one more time...

2. [+617, -15] Isn't the Kakaotalk Dog just a comedic character? ㅋㅋㅋ  

3. [+594, -47] I think I'm the only crazy one,, I feel bad for Lee Hyuk and I hope they end up together

4. [+490, -8] I feel like later on, Lee Hyuk is going to die instead for Ssu Ni or something else will happen.. If you think about it, when he was younger, he was a normal and nice kid but in the end, the parents ruined the child.. ㅠㅠ

Original Article: [news1 korea] 'The Last Empress' "I Like Jang Nara," Says Choi Jinhyuk To Shin Sungrok

Spoiler

0003780321_001_20190110230852208.jpg?type=w540Screen%2BShot%2B2019-01-11%2Bat%2B12.09.50%2BAM.png

1. +1517, -90 Lee HyukSunny, in The Last Empress their chemistry is the best out of all, I hope they can meet again in the next romcom drama
3. +838, -63 Why do I support Shin Sungrok more?? He's a bad guy though...
3. +588, -81 These days it's getting boring again
4. +193, -40 Please make her end up with the emperor... She matches with the Emperor more than with Chun Woobin ㅜㅜ
5. +112, -5 I'm starting to feel bad for Lee Hyukㅠㅠ He met the wrong mother.......... It's so obvious that he can't receive love
6. +110, -11 The plot of the drama got weird ㅜㅠㅠ Sunny suddenly becomes tiring and boring
7. +102, -31 Sun Ok-nim please ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ If you continue to do this the drama will fail, there's no chemistry at all please ㅠㅠ Make her end up with the Emperor, I feel so bad for him
8. +65, -6 Am I the only whose heart is fluttering even more because of Woobin...
9. +42, -1 Everyone's acting is amazing ㄷ ㄷ
10. +31, -4 Chun Woobin is cool ㅎ
11. +17, -1 Excuse me.... If you're being like this when are you going to get revenge? Don't make her rely on men, make her into a cool character. 

Btw, this is drama makjang so i don't really care about the triangle love lol :sweatingbullets:

Aww SSR, i want to see u in a romcom drama :D

• Like 8
  • LOL 1

2 hours ago, Crystal Kim said:

It is interesting, I think it has to do with the comedic element that they have added to their relationship with her kicking him to the curb and not taking his crap anymore. It could also be because they are technically still married legally.

But I do feel that WB is better for her, he has constantly been protecting her. And I do feel that SN has won his loyalty, but I am not 100% certain that he is "in love" with her at this point. Because before asking LH for SN at the end of the lastest episode, he did mention that he wanted LH to want SN again as to drive LH to insainity. And then also on the bridge, he mentioned he wanted to protect her with his life. what a better way to do that than to claim her as his own.

Lastly, with the previous head guard being YR Baby daddy. I am not sure that she ever went back to search for him. If she had ever loved him, why was she trying to get rid of her son and abandon him? She has clearly no love for the child, if she had loved the father, wouldn't she have loved the child? Her whole goal is to become the empress and have power. Who knows, maybe she had dated the head guard in the past with power in mind, but when he was gone, she changed her target to someone who was more powerful. 

All in all, I think that they all should either be in prison or a Psych ward... permanently.

• Like 5
  • LOL 3

So I'm a little behind because I've only seen up to Wednesday's episode.  Going to watch Thursday's episode when I get home after work.  But, OMG about YR and who fathered DongShik.  It kind of makes sense in a way.  I bet that YR was a typical (typical in K-dramaland only) naive country girl (look at how they did her hair in the flashback) who went to Seoul and fell in love with a guy.  She didn't work in the palace at the time and suddenly, her fiance just disappears on her.  The palace probably even told her lies, maybe even implying a relationship between him and Empress SH.  So here she is, heavily pregnant and abandoned.  She returns home to the countryside completely bitter and unfortunately, she views DS as a reminder of her "stupidity" in falling for a jerk who used her and abandoned her.  This experience completely colors her attitude now.  Perhaps her original plan in studying to become a palace employee (after she returned home) was to find her old fiance.  Or, perhaps she just thought it was a way to elevate her station in life.  For whatever reason she went to work in the palace, I think once there (and with the attitude that she went in with) I think the greed and corruption of the palace got to her.  K-dramas love to redeem their characters so I can kind of see where the writer is going with this one, I think.

I can also see how the writer is trying to create some redemption path for LH.  But the DE?  No way.  She is evil now and she is evil in the flashbacks.  I hope they don't show a flashback showing how she struggled when she first became empress bc right now I don't ever want to feel sorry or sympathy for her.  The princess mentions that the DE was a chaebol's daughter.  So now the picture I have is a rich brat used to controlling people and having power.  She then married and the only people with more power than her was the emperor (her husband) and the GDE.  She couldn't control them, but she certainly knew early on that she needed to make the crown prince (LH) her puppet.

• Like 8

last.png

In DRAMA

[The Last Empress] Eps 31 & 32 spoilers, Choi Jin Hyuk x Jang Na Ra x Shin Sung Rok

Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2019

Article: Naver 'The Last Empress' "I like Jang Na Ra" Choi Jin Hyuk declares in front of Shin Sung Rok 

1. [+1633,-94]
Lee Hyuk ♥ Ssu Ni. Their chemistry is the best. It's such a waste of their chemistry. I hope they reunite in a romcom drama.

2. [+1364,-48]
Ssu Ni's mother is the problem too, they can't be together... But why do I feel that the chemistry is such a waste? 

3. [+945,-67]
Why am I supporting Shin Sung Rok even more?? He's a villain... 

4. [+1006,-347]
The drama is shifting its focus to Cheon Woo Bin, the ratings are falling and it's getting boring. I'm not sure why Ssu Ni is starting to rely on people too. 

5. [+630,-83]
These days, it's getting a little boring.

6. [+381,-45]
I really like the love line between the Empress ♥ Emperor. Can't you put Cheon Woo Bin and Princess So Jin together somehow? Soon Ok Kim. 

7. [+311,-20]
It feels as if the directing and character designing were all focused on Lee Hyuk. Today's episode too. I was immersed in Lee Hyuk's emotions that it felt weird watching Cheon Woo Bin smiling. The character Cheon Woo Bin has no charisma. ㅠㅠ

8. [+266,-20]
To be honest, whenever the romance scenes come up, it's boring... She can't have romance with Lee Hyuk. Ssu Ni should be the Empress without any romance and Wang Sik should start noticing Princess Jang. ㅠㅠㅜ Ssu Ni and Wang Sik is a no.... I can't relate to the story, it's boring. When he confessed today, no matter how powerful his confession was, I still didn't get it. If you get fired, you can't take revenge, Wang Sik-ah. 

9. [+264,-25]
When Cheon Woo Bin covered Oh Ssu Ni's eyes in the past, they had chemistry. But now that they have built up chemistry between Lee Hyuk and Ssu Ni, forcing her with Cheon Woo Bin now makes it boring. Don't throw a spanner in the works. Put Lee Hyuk and Oh Ssu Ni together by making Lee Hyuk risk his life for Ssu Ni. And put Cheon Woo Bin and Princess So Jin together. Princess So Jin saved him today. 

10. [+185,-10]
That damn red scarf. Remove it already. How many times has it been? It doesn't match her clothes. 

empress32.png

Article: Naver 'The Last Empress' Choi Jin Hyuk to Jang Na Ra, "I'll stay by your side" Shin Sung Rok flustered 

1. [+124,-1]
KakaoTalk Dog shouldn't have gone to Oh Ssu Ni. Going back and forth like that was so funny. ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

2. [+108,-11]
Why do I like Lee Hyuk more? ㅋㅋㅋ 

3. [+30,-1]
Oh Ra Ii (Crazy people with the surname 'oh') ㅋㅋㅋㅋ 
[t/n: 'Ra Ii' comes from the word 'ddoraii', which means crazy]

4. [+26,-2]
Both Choi Jin Hyuk and Shin Sung Rok are cool... 

5. [+20,-1]
Am I abnormal for getting attracted to Lee Hyuk more? He's a villain. ㅠㅠ

6. [+9,-1]
To be honest, I can't get immersed whenever the love line between Cheon Woo Bin and the Empress shows up. Logically, the love line between the Emperor and the Empress is impossible. But the love line between the Empress and Cheon Woo Bin has to be abandoned. Although I'm not sure if the problem lies with their acting or the script, but the Empress is too passive towards Cheon Woo Bin. They have to remove the love line between Cheon Woo Bin and the Empress if they want to increase the ratings further. 

7. [+8,-0]
Psychopath family. 

8. [+5,-0]
Lee Hyuk is pitiful, and there are times where my heart fluttered a little, but in Jang Na Ra's position, she'll never have heart flutters because of him.. 

9. [+5,-1]
The Emperor and the Empress match each other well.. Everyone around me + netizens think that way. 

https://melohwa.blogspot.com/2019/01/the-last-empress-eps-31-32-spoilers.html

Ugh these k-netz. But I have watched older dramas and I will admit that LH feels like the .....male lead the female lead learns to love just because he's "pitiful", while WB feels like the loving second male lead who does everything for the woman he loves but doesn't get the girl in the end. Please let WB get the girl. It's just wrong for Sunny to go back to LH. And the plot did say she would find true love and both of them will fight against the royal family. Sunny and WB really deserve each other so let them be together.

Edited by triplem
Pls don’t circumvent swear filter. TQ
  • Like 13

Sometime I do feel bad for LH because of what has been done to him in his childhood. It´s really messed up and seing that he didn´t have anyone to keep him grounded it´s no surprise to me that he ended up being what he is now. Let´s take Ari for example look how she had been brought up and how Opportunistic she is...if it´s not for Sunny teaching her moral values...she would have grown up to be a ruthless person that is ready to do anything to get her way. 

The Grandmother was the only decent human being in that palace if she had found out  what was going on with LH in his childhood things could have been different.

Now with that being said I don´t excuse his behaviour and I think that he should definitely be punished for all the things that he had done. 

There is chemistry between the actors of LH and Sunny but I don´t ship them in this drama...the character of LH is too messed up. 

• Like 11

59 minutes ago, dramaninja said:

Lord have mercy those naver comments :scream:

I’ve been reading the comments on Naver like:astonished: I’m not completely fluent but a lot are saying that ever since Sunny started to like Chun Woo Bin, she’s regressed to a weak character. It’s a bit harsh.. 

• Like 8
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, Crystal Kim said:

I have to agree!

I guess it's not a myth that some women choose the bad guys... I mean, sure, it's really sad what happened to LH when he was a child, and yes, we should feel empathy towards him. And yes, he deserves to be happy too. But no, he isn't reformed yet and yes, he is still a chilling character with too much sadism in him. it doesn't take an Einstein to figure out that this guy is NOT husband material!

And yet there are women around the world who are willing to marry serial killers, because they think that they with their love and nurturing can heal those hardened criminals (who by the way, probably are clinical psychopaths who cannot be cured even with the best psychologists / medicines in the world). Well, in the end, I guess it reveals a lot more about the women's state of minds and psyche than the serial killers... <shrugs>

I actually enjoyed the interactions between CWB and Sunny in this week's episodes. I was actually giddy and happy to see them getting closer to each other, and I hope that they will end up having a wonderful life together. :) 

• Like 13

Spoiler

*sighs* I'm about to go ahead and watch this weeks episodes with the subs XD *should really learn korean lol*

But I saw the ending clip of the Emperor grabbing Sunny and I swear without understanding anything; I noticed that when his voice changed, talking to Sunny, I feel he was demanding something of her, him grabbing her and dragging her off to probably her or his chambers just made me go: ANDDDD....THERE IT IS!  There's the deluded psycho I knew would resurface again!

I swear it came off as if he was determined to have his way with her and if Woo Bin hadn't been there, I feel like he would have seriously forced her to sleep with him. It's the same vibe I got from the end of last week's episode and when he actually tries to go for kissing Sunny at the beginning of ep. 15 (29, 30), I couldn't help but think, dude, seriously? Really? 

His 'love' is warped and twisted, and for all the pitiful attempts to make me like him/sympathize with him, he's still not right in the head, srsly. The whip splash of his character's extremities from going love to hate shows how unstable he is. He is doing exactly what I predicted he was going to do, delude himself into thinking Sunny is playing hard to get. *sighs*

If the writer was so gung-ho on really making him a true, competitive love interest against Wang Shik/Woo Bin for Sunny's affections, maybe she should have...I dunno STOPPED at him cheating on her??? Or not have him commit attempted MURDER....MULTIPLE TIMES?? *shrugs* At least with TIME, cheating could be forgiven if he really meant to show he was sincerely sorry. 

In an alternate universe, where LH isn't too far gone and hasn't tried to murder people because of his mom's manipulations, I do ship LH/SN...hardcore shipper (of both pairings) I really like the appeal of the chemistry between them and if this would have been a simple comedic romcom with maybe a little dash of angst, or you kept things the same without making the emperor a murderer and mentally unstable; I would be all over that in a heartbeat but this ain't that type of drama. I dunno, maybe it's a cultural thing but why oh why would you want her stuck to being married to a man who clearly had intentions of adding rape to his already messed up dossier?!

Because they're still married?! What the what?! Yea, let's just have the Emperor totally rape his wife who already hates his guts, that's really going to endear Sunny to Lee Hyuk!  (Again, I hope that is just the knet's thoughts and not reflective of everyone else watching the show).

And again, he was drinking and seeming to continue to make excuses like always to justify his reasons for whatever the heck he had planned to do with Sunny if not for Woo Bin interfering. (again, i'm only guessing, I haven't watched this with subs but i'm sure i can't be far off with at least picking up some noticeable clues in his speech pattern) Nothing he does is sincere! aughahkdjfkd! And what little sincerity he's TRYING to convey he just finds a way to self sabotage his own efforts. Nor has he really taken the TIME to sit back and reflect on what he's even done wrong. 

And now that Woo Bin has seemingly declared his intentions/interest in Sunny, I can already see the last eight episodes are about to be a trainwreck with this messed up love triangle...and I don't know if I can handle that for the next four weeks. So, I'm just going to stop here until it's over and pray one half of my OTP isn't killed off or the last two episodes aren't a bad case of a rushed ending.  *sighs*

My main annoyance if you haven't already guessed: If you're going to do a character redemption arc...do it right. Don't begin the hassle of making me sympathize or look forward to a character's redemption arc if you're just going to continue to show how un-redeemable that character is. It becomes a waste of the storytelling that could have been used for something meaningful. 

Maybe...MAYBE Writernim will surprise me, she's always has with this drama so far, but I won't hold my breath. I just don't want a rushed ending or leaving it open-ended where the audience is left to their own speculations of what happened or Woo Bin being killed off.

I want an ending in line with Jang Bo Ri....not Geum Sa Wol plz but I digress...

I was attracted to watch this drama because of Jang Na Ra x Choi Jin Hyuk and I will flip my s.h.i.t. if their characters don't end up together for the 2nd time.

Yea, still salty about Fated to Love You and no I won't let it go.

If this ends the way I fear it will...holy cow I hope there are peeps hiding in the shadows ready to write some fanfics...lots of fanfics, even if the show ends with a happy ending/bittersweet ending, i'm still going to needs fanfics. *I don't want to be the only one writing fanfics for both pairings just saying...*

okay...Imma stop ranting and go watch episodes 15 and 16 now. 

And then come back to rant some more XD

Again I write a lot...

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • LOL 2

Awww. Hyuk is back to being cray2. I like bunny-hyuk and coffee-hyuk. Sobs :tears: 

Gif title: cray2 hyuk returns

9QR294.gif

Previously writernim made it easy to like Hyuk, now it seems writernim is reminding us he is a villain again :sweatingbullets:

Imo, Hyuk has a problem conveying his thoughts. He didnt even say he didnt knew about the blood transfusion to sunny. He lets her hit him and be angry. But his choice of words saying for who else would the blood go to if not for the emperor..was a no no. Hyuk-ahhh you need to enrol yourself in a moral and ethics class. You clearly feel entitled because of your position. I blame his way of thinking on his lousy upbringing. He had/has awful parents. And he is confined in the awful palace surroundings, he doesn't seem to have any friends at all. It makes me wonder how he even knew and eventually got married with Empress Sohyun in the first place.

Hyuk is still a man-child. I hope he will grow up in this ep and repent his wrongdoing. But he didnt yet. Why hyuk why! Whyyyyyyyy!!! I want you to be a better person on you own accord~ the hand dragging and his entitled words at the end was a super no-no too. Good thing WB was there to snap Hyuk into his place.

Still hoping Hyuk will grow up and own his wrongdoings and do something to right the wrong and get jailed or punished or even dethroned. Sunny's long rant to him might be the best way to awaken his senses. I did feel bad for him when she said 'you should have died back then' straight to his face. He helps her from the sidelines, but he is so so bad at saying the right thing at the right time and eventually it blows up in his face and he goes cray2. 

P/s: the scene where Hyuk lost his mind in his room was super creepy with the background sounds

P/p/s: woobin smiling behind Hyuk's back each time Hyuk starts to crack was creeeeepppyy too

@butterflyempress you said what i want to say about Hyuk in a more eloquent way :)

• Like 6
  • LOL 4

2 hours ago, Crystal Kim said:

I’ve been reading the comments on Naver like:astonished: I’m not completely fluent but a lot are saying that ever since Sunny started to like Chun Woo Bin, she’s regressed to a weak character. It’s a bit harsh.. 

That makes no sense she is the same as ever! just because she has emotional moments does not make her weak.

WB had these moments but it seems they are both giving each other strength.

• Like 11

6 hours ago, kaoriharang said:

The last scene where after Sunny rejected him, LH chose to handle it the way he handles everything with force and demand.

I guess that's the only way he knows how to handle things... It's really sad that he grew up to be such a person, and I blame it all on the ED who keeps feeding him with lies and poison for his mind.

I am very surprised though with the K-netizens comments. It is kinda fun to see CWB and Sojin, but I can't feel them. And that because of more focus on CWB, the story became boring and ratings dropping?? But I have to admit there are scenes that I dislike about CWB... he's becoming a very cold and heartless person in his path of revenge. I don't really like that...

• Like 10

7 hours ago, PutriSalju said:

It's better to let the writer finish her/his drama not because what fans want but pure because what his/her mind want.

The problem with a drama like this is that the writer will sometimes change the plot, including the OTP, if the audience seems to have a strong preference for a different pairing then the one the writer originally had in mind, and the knetz do seem to be expressing more preference for a LH-SN pairing than a NS-SN pairing, even if it makes no sense.

All the reasons why LH and SN shouldn't be a pairing feel too numerous to list, but they include the fact that LH tried to kill SN with his hands which leads to LH has an uncontrollable temper that can turn murderous, LH is an unrestrained man-child with no impulse control and seems happy to jump into women's beds if it's convenient even if he's supposed to be in love with someone else, LH's life was saved at the expense of SN's mother's life, LH had been unfaithful to SN for their entire marriage, LH is a murderer of other people, etc., etc.

That is offset by the fact that it was the Dowager Empress and the ex-Emperor that turned Hyuk into a monster from which he was never able to escape. Btw, the scene of the Dowager Empress setting Hyuk's parakeet on fire actually managed to shock me. Plus, Hyuk is still technically SN's husband, and I can see how some viewers might think that only the love of a good, strong woman can save Hyuk. This is total nonsense, of course, since just because Hyuk wants SN now is no reason to think that Hyuk will want SN later, or that Hyuk won't kill SN as well in a fit of rage over something. But, really, I think the main attraction to Hyuk is that he's played by SSR who, in addition to his good looks, is infusing Hyuk with a charm and emotions that Hyuk as a character doesn't have. It's SSR who conveys both the lost little boy pathos to some of his scenes even after he's done something monstrous. It's SSR who has such perfect timing in the comedic elements so that the viewer laugh both at and with him. It's SSR who is gleefully playing an unhinged character who keeps finding dark demons as reasons why it's not really his fault that he's such a monster. So, I can understand why he is such a mesmerizing figure for some.

WB, by contrast, is written as a more sane character, so he doesn't have the same sense of gleeful fun that SSR is able to bring to Hyuk.  WB is driven by dark demons as well as Hyuk, but WB still has too many people that he's watching out for, including his little brother and the Empress, so he's more careful, plus he has a sense of purpose with his revenge. I think WB's character has suffered in the writing in contrast to Hyuk because can't be as colorful a character. WB could have been made trickier and cleverer, perhaps, but that was up to the writer. NS was also written originally to be a slightly oblivious character who relies on his strength and happiness rather than his mind. CJH has done a good job of carrying characteristics of NS into WB, but into a darker place. However, that is still not as much fun as unhinged Hyuk.

As for the romance, I would prefer SN be with the man who has always cared for her and saved her than the man who has tried to kill her, so I hope the writer isn't persuaded to try to redeem Hyuk to the point where SN is supposed to take him back, though the last episodes seems to be trying to go there maybe. I can see why viewers might find the romance a bit boring though. It's a bit of sanity surrounded by makjang on every side. As for me, I would prefer if they made better progress with the SN-NS romance now that they are working on the same side. Since this drama is going for full makjang anyway, couldn't SN and NS have a full blown romance as part of it, with opportunities for them to be a cute couple?

I thought SN's calling him WS instead of WB was symbolic and sweet, even though in a real situation that would have been a silly thing to do in case she is overheard. But, oh well, maybe that was the point?

The other one I find interesting to watch is actually AR, though her fake laughs of happiness around the other royals is very grating.  I think I dislike the nanny enough by now, that I'm actually okay with AR being rude to her own birth mother. The nanny since Hyuk has rejected her time and time again seems to have decided to take power through AR, however, I still think that the nanny is delusional to think that AR will put up with that even at her young age. AR is so thoroughly dismissive of her nanny/mother that it's disconcerting to watch, but then again, the nanny has raised AR to be dismissive of "lower" people, so really it's chickens coming home to roost as far as I'm concerned. I think AR will be the key to a lot of things since things are said in her presence and in her eavesdropping that will be important for SN.

As for the bodyguard who is being kept in the psych ward being DS' father and YR's ex, I wondered whether YR knows that he's being kept in that psych ward. I could see YR being cold blooded enough to know and to not care since she was also willing to kill her son DS (or possibly send him to child slavers). That was definitely another bit of a makjang twist to this drama.

One other thing, I don't mind the Hello and Vincent romance, but I really wish that Hello would stop it with the annoying baby talk. I think that kind of baby talk should be grounds for breaking up immediately anyway. :D

edit: I think the only reason I'm still following this drama is to watch the Dowager Empress being brought down to her knees and put in prison. Or a psych ward.

• Like 12