Quantcast
larus

[Drama 2018-2019] Less than Evil/ Bad Detective 나쁜 형사

“The Crowned Clown” And “Less Than Evil” Lead Monday-Tuesday Drama Ratings Battle

by R. Jun
381ff329de094af0a354ee7b1b3cb141.jpeg?s=
In the public broadcasting station battle, MBC’s “Less Than Evil” is back on top of its time slot for Monday-Tuesday dramas!

Stills
01.18697099.1.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mrsj3n said:

One question: JHM is really dead right? :joy:

Yeap, he died! Finally!  :persevere:

I think now it's more of the battle between WTS and ESJ rather than with the vigilant, The Punisher. 

ESJ seems to be all determined to destroy all WTS efforts. Haha!

I don't even know who I should root for now :joy:

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

Ok. We are watching episode 12 now..

So they used 11 episode on JHM and finally put him to rest.

And now.. the new psychopath is ESJ?

*headache*

• Like 1

4 hours ago, philosophie said:

For some reason I thought there were only 12. We have 16 right?

Don't panic... :joy:

Don't quite like how ESJ going psycho on WTS with her mind games.

They are supposed to be solving crimes together not pitting against each other!

giphy.gif

• LOL 1

Hopefully he stay dead. richard simmons that person. At least is time for ESJ to shine. Sad how we can’t see them WTS ESJ to be together all lovely but heck whatever!

HI EVERYONE! IM BACK!

@mrsj3n HIIIII!

Got to love me some cat fight. Haha.

but anyways 

I watched the two episodes. That ending scene with the hammer...what could it mean? Who is that person that ESJ called. I think the person who ESJ called is the killer...

• LOL 1

5 hours ago, sushilicious said:

I watched the two episodes. That ending scene with the hammer...what could it mean? Who is that person that ESJ called. I think the person who ESJ called is the killer...

But that will mean ESJ is the mastermind behind the murder too if she knows the murderer.

On 1/17/2019 at 11:41 PM, mrsj3n said:

But that will mean ESJ is the mastermind behind the murder too if she knows the murderer.

At this time, I really have no idea. Like I just go with the flow, I will judge based on what I see hahah

I'm not really sure why this show claims to be an adaptation of the Luther series when the parallels seem so fleeting that comparisons are not worth making. I'm the first to acknowledge that adaptations shouldn't be slavish reproductions of the source material especially when going across cultures and international lines. It's fine to have points of differentiation... that's to be expected but when the primary thrust of the drama feels so different... is it even right to call it an adaptation?

It's not to say that the show is bad. It's isn't and as a Korean cop drama it's fine. But the need to pander to local tropes, in my opinion, is what derails the thing. First there's the amnesia... then there's the past connection among the leads... then a guilty secret... it's all there, setting the stage for makjang.

The biggest sticking point about keeping JHM alive for as long as they did is so that they could create this nature vs nurture dialectic in vein of Voice 2. At least that's the feeling I'm getting from what JHM mutters after he's fatally shot. I'm glad he is physically dead but there's no doubt that his ghost will haunt the rest of the series through ESJ. Now, I don't know if she will fall in line with his tune, according to his expectations, to become his "apprentice-heir" as it were... but it's such a disappointment that the show feels that it needs to turn ESJ into a victim to provide a rationale for her psychopathic tendencies. This is where I think the message takes over the narrative in awkward fashion.

Of course the show doesn't really tell us how he survived that blast with so little damage. :rolleyes:

JHM was a good enough villain for half the drama but when he outstayed his welcome, he became a nuisance and fugitive who is tied up with the dirty cop who is providing him with money and safe houses. All this so that he can be instrumental in "turning" ESJ. :wacko:

Then there is the issue of blame and guilt. The good guys are constantly wracked with guilt about the bad choices they made in the past. They blame themselves because they didn't have enough courage, then they blame themselves because they have to make difficult decisions in life-death situations, then they blame themselves because they are forced to make untenable choices in zero-sum games foisted on them by psychopaths. They're so introspective to the point that it feels almost that they're to blame for all the murders that happened and not JHM. All this naval gazing is just over-the-top and repetitive. Frankly I feel that there's far too much emphasis on what happened 13 years ago and to make the events on that night more mysterious than it really was. This really drags the show down. For me at least. It feels like it is wallowing in some kind of rut... I dunno...because they're not confident of their material? Only when there's a new case that comes up that I feel the show breathe again. Maybe i don't care about what happened to those girls why they made the choices that they made... or why he chose to protect his sister ahead of YBW... To me their choices were understandable. They were afraid. But guess what... JHM and Capt Jeon are the real villains here!

It's not a bad show but it would've been better in somebody else's hands. The show is afraid of going too dark and the result is that it emphasizes all the wrong things. TBH, OCN does this kind of stuff much better.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@40somethingahjummaI think the reason why the director didn't go in for a darker approach mainly because it's MBC. I personally think that this kind of show should have a even darker approach compared to what it was given to us. I honestly feel like JHM's case has been dragged for too long. I would prefer him to be like the final boss. 

At first glance when i was watching it JHM came back alive again and again with little explanation didn't really bother me. It's more on the redundant kind of feeling. I don't like it when it keeps on repeating the same thing. Which in this case WTS trying to suppress JHM then JHM comes back again. 

Back to JHM being the final boss. After his death, the rest of the episodes are slightly meaningless and they are just simply filling up the episodes...(To me)

Lastly...i didn't really like the connection between WTS and ESJ. I would prefer they work as a duo. From the newest episodes feel like they are back at square one. (I really like the taking back diamond scene!) They are like joker and harley...sad that we won't be getting these

• Like 3

On 1/24/2019 at 10:31 PM, sushilicious said:

I would prefer him to be like the final boss. 

Dear God..  No.

Please let him stay dead.

He wasn't a good bad guy anyway.

For the remaining episodes.. it wasn't really a filler episodes but for me.. I'm feeling burnt out after all the excitement because I felt shortchanged that JHM is like a cockroach.

Never dying cockroach who has so much lady luck that a fall won't crippled him. 

An explosion didn't incinerate him.

But a bullet finally put him to rest just like a broom hitting hard on the cockroach to finally squash it to death. :unamused:

As for WTS and ESJ... that sizzling chemistry that we first saw has since gone with the wind.

I need to better manage my expectation now. 

• Like 2

Well.. it's over.

Felt sad for Poor Ji Ho and his mum.

Bullying is real and it's also reality how the rich gets the upper hand and tends to get away.

It felt great when Ji Ho's murderers are arrested together with their parents.

As for ESJ, it was sad at first. 

But when she was acting like a spoilt brat to get away from murder. I find it laughable and disappointed that they wrote her character like that.

It's great that Captain Jeon is punished as well.

But the ending? It's really like putting on a show to look stylish and cool afterall for the next few minutes before the credit rolls.

And the appearance of ESJ with her in the car towards the end and WTS looking like he's squinting?

Sorry. No go.

I don't feel anything.

No fireworks. No oomph factor.

Just no.

• Like 3

You know I really liked this drama when itstarted to air but long the way it came too much. Maybe I expected better. Or that I love the original so when this drama had so many changes I lost intrest. I still haven't watched the latest episodes and I don't even know if I want to. But maybe I should watch the rest episodes. 

• Like 2

@mrsj3n kinda drop off four episodes ago. Haha. Just skipping around watching some parts. Because the anticipation is just gone.It did not live up to my expectations. It has a great start, but it starts to lack in something towards the end...

@joccu haven’t seen you around for awhile. Have you have plans to watch item?

+2

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

@sushiliciousYeah I'm thinking of watching. I like watching Jihoon and Kang woo dramas. 

I kind of dropped this drama so I haven't been around. But still I somehow I have managed to watch almost all the episodes. Maybe bc Shin ha kyun is really good actor.  But this drama made my realise that I don't like remakes or that I have too high expections.

Some remakes I like but when korean makes remakes I usually don't like them.  

• Like 3

@sushilicious @joccu 

It's really a pity.

The JHM plot was written badly.

And after all the anticipation and "suspense" of who killed ESJ's foster parents and how she was neglected and yadda yadda... they made ESJ a spoilt brat...

giphy.gif

I'm really surprised I did not drop the drama.

I've never watch the originals and I'm having second thoughts of watching it now as I'm afraid it's too sloooooooow. -_-

• Like 1

@mrsj3n You know it's disappointing when the one who introduced you to this drama decided to leave. Haha. Honestly can't help it. It's just.. hm... I don't like how the entire thing went. I would rather have the usual,the biggest bad guy for last. Thing. Then this. I hate that their chemistry got thrown off the roof.  So i guess this drama tells us that it's impossible for a psychopath to fall in love with a bad detective. And actually do something crazy. Hm.

• Like 2

@sushilicious lol. It's ok.

I'm just glad that JHM did not last till the end else I would have drop it long ago.

I guess in this drama..  they wanted ESJ to be the "big bad" till the end but it's really very anti-climatic as the big bad boss isn't really a "grown up".

And they focused too much on WTS looking all cool and walking with a swagger.... 

• LOL 1