Quantcast
larus

[Drama 2018-2019] Top Star Yoo Baek 톱스타 유백이

7 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

I understand your sentiment, but I also feel sympathy for KS. Growing up in a small tight-knit community as she has, so thankful to her grandmother as well as to the other villagers as she is, cherishing MD as she does albeit as a brother, and being a kind and dutiful girl as she is, I understand her conflicted feelings of wanting to do what everyone wants and is happy for her to do. Her own personal happiness is also partly tied up in the happiness of her grandmother and her community. It would be stranger for her, and out of character, to not give a fig for anything other than what she wants or doesn't want.

Also, for KS to reject MD out of hand because of what she may or may not feel for an outsider who she's still not sure belongs in her life anyway would be tantamount to a slap in their collective faces. I know that YB has confessed to her and everything, but it's not as if YB and KS are an established couple yet. Nor does KS have any certainty that she wants to be with YB and his crazy life or that he's not going to get tired of her. Versus her grandmother, MD, and the villagers who have been there for her her whole life.

So, I don't hate KS for her dithering right now, though I think she is making poor decisions. But, I think she will come to realize that. She would be living a lie for the rest of her life if she marries MD, while hoping that she can come to love MD in that way while forgetting about YB. And, that is not being fair to MD as well as to herself or to YB.

This true I guess what really annoyed me  is YB setting the  looking defeated with  everyone around this  happy about this and the things she said to him like he  did something wrong :(

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

6 minutes ago, dramaninja said:

This true I guess what really annoyed me  is YB setting the  looking defeated with  everyone around this  happy about this and the things she said to him like he  did something wrong :(

That I do understand, and I feel awful for YB. He's opened up his heart to someone for the first time in his life after his pain as a child of understanding that his mother was using him to make money for the cretin that she had married even if that potentially caused YB further harm. And, he's basically getting it trampled on. :(

But, I know that this drama will have a happy ending, and both he and KS will probably come to love each other more and harder for having had to work for their love. Given his top star status, I don't know that YB, despite loving KS, would value her quite as much if she had fallen for him easily and the villagers had acquiesced into thinking that he was all that. :D

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, dramaninja said:

After reading @stroppyse take on KS , I think I am less upset. I think I am feeling very sorry for YB . He's a sea urchin that I want to protect myself. 

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, triplem said:

After reading @stroppyse take on KS , I think I am less upset. I think I am feeling very sorry for YB . He's a sea urchin that I want to protect myself.  

Yoo Baek the cute sea urchin.

Related image
cr: zazzle.com.au
  • Like 3
  • LOL 6

I think the reason why KS accepts MD's proposal is because she doesnt want to hurt his feelings. She thinks she owes MD and his parents. They've been taking care of her and her grandma since her parents died. After her grandma collapse it's MD and his father who rush her grandma to hospital. She thinks how she could hurt the people who have been so kind to her and her grandma. And also because she thinks she and YB can't be together because of how different their worlds are. She realizes she can't fit in his world. I think the incident when they were chased by the reporters really shocked her. That's what YB's life is like, being followed and crowded by paparazzi / reporters and not to mention fans. Even YB doesnt really enjoy his life. 

But i'm not giving up on YB-KS. I think KS will listen to her heart and realize that YB is the one she wants. She gave up on her dreams for her grandma. She always puts other people first before herself. But i hope she won't give up on her own happiness. Because she's only happy if she's with YB

• Like 11

Okay let's cheer ourselves up with some OTP highlights...

He caught her here princess style... can you see how they look at each other.  @stroppyse what excuse did he give her here for coming back? The vid continues in the spoiler

Spoiler

But he's clearly happy to be back

Spoiler

This bicycle scene was hilarious ..

Spoiler

Spoiler

omo...our gal was having some wild thoughts!!!

Spoiler

Edited by triplem
  • Like 5
  • LOL 3

Yes, living in a tight knit community can affect one's decisions, especially for KS, who everyone treats as their own daughter. She wouldn't want to disappoint them. Also, for them, there is no other man for her other than MD, who they have known since he was a kid. Top Star was basically a stranger to them and took a long time for them to warm up so, in their eyes, he is out of the picture when it comes to KS's love life (except for shipper Halmoni hehe).

I have faith in MD, though. It just strengthened after seeing the preview. He knows KS well, too well to even detect when she's just pretending to be happy. I'm rooting for him to come through for our YB/KS couple. :)

• Like 7

@stroppyse thank you for your words, I feel better after reading them, too. But @dramaninja I totally understand your feelings. The more I think about the preview, the more upset I am becoming with KS. 

YB really is our most lovable sea urchin. Even after KS gave him the bracelet back and hurt him with her words, yes, he did have one night of drinking, but that was it. He went straight back to the island to see her and be with her. KS, please give him lots of loving when you finally realize to fight for your own happiness. 

So I'm a little confused about Grandma. Is she team YB or MD? I thought she was team YB, but then when the little kid was explaining the lunch to YB, it seemed like she was really favoring MD. And in the preview it seems she is encouraging KS to marry MD. Is that correct? Boy, we need some of the villagers to be team YB! Anyone? Anyone? 

So I'm thinking the whole marriage thing might not be resolved by next week, but hopefully it will be at least by the week after. That would give us 2 episodes at least to see lovey dovey scenes and also figure out how they're going to live (island or Seoul or both) and resolve the conflict with mama. And figure out mystery man who wasn't in this episode at all! 

I guess my family is going to continue to think I'm nuts this week as I go back and forth between feeling sad about the preview and optimistic for KS in YB's bed in Seoul. Lol. 

This darn drama...

By the way, I think our translation actually made sense yesterday. Sexy lip balm? Check. Ride the back seat of the bicycle? Check. But darn for it being so literal. I know we were all hoping they meant something else. <sigh> testing our patience here, I see. Well guess what, no need to test. We are not patient! Give us what we wantttt :D

• Like 7
  • LOL 2

I am SOO behind on this drama and everything. The holidays put me behind all my dramas and everything. I seriously need to catch up. I've been seeing clips and clips. 

I have no idea what's going on, but it seems like KS accepted MD's proposal and they are back on the island..? :unsure:

• Like 6

@triplem, here is a translation of the scene where he's returned.

Doll YB: It definitely won’t happen. I enabled you to receive a confession beyond anything that you could have ever imagined, and you dare to end it just like that? Oh Kang Soon, our time together has reverted back to the way it was 1 week ago. From now on, we’re going to start again!
(KS is startled, leaves, and falls into YB’s arms.)
KS: Omo. I must have gone crazy.
YB: Crazy? Who’s crazy?
KS: Omo. (pokes YB’s cheek)
YB: Are you poking me to see what I’m made of?
KS: Oh!

YB: Also, I’ve totally gotten over you, so don’t worry about it. The confession is cancelled. So you should also forget all about the confession that I made to you, and while I’m here, I would prefer that you not be uncomfortable with me. Okay, then. Go on. (goes into the room)
KS: What? Did I ever say that I even considered his confession? But, it’s not as if he had confessed to me, so why do I feel as if I were rejected?
YB: (coming out of the room) Oh Kang Soon, do you think you’re a Cinderella or something? That you would drop something like this in my house and leave it behind?
KS: Yes? Oh! Omona!
YB: Oh, instead of a Cinderella, would you be a Boudoir-ella?
KS: You must really be crazy! Huh? Oh, geez.

I think there must be at least a line or so missing between these two clips, though. I'm going to have to watch the episode to figure it out. However, it seems that YB coming back to the island wasn't a big thing, as in perhaps, he's still supposed to lie low, so of course, he would come back to his hideaway. Prior to this scene, though, there may have been something where KS got the idea that YB's confession hadn't even been meant for her personally?

So, now, I have even more sympathy for KS about accepting MD's proposal, if she's not even certain of how YB really feels about her. To upset all of those people she cares about because KS herself doesn't feel that way may be a hard thing to do for a good girl like KS.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

A happy YB

YB: To think that I’ve come back to this remote place. Really.
Grandmother: Omo! Is that Top Star young man who has returned? I had heard that you were too busy so wouldn’t come.
YB: I wanted to eat Grandmother’s food even more, so I’m here for a visit.
Grandmother: That’s right! I’ll make you some really delicious things. Just wait.
YB: Yes.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Bicycle scene translation

YB: Halt! If you’re going to the supermarket, you should give me a ride. I have some things to buy.
KS: What? Just walk over there.
YB: You don’t perhaps still find me uncomfortable, do you? So much so that you can’t even give me a little ride on this bicycle?
KS: That is ab-so-lute-ly not the case.
YB: Agreed. (gets on the bike) Then hurry up and go.
KS: Oh, oh, so heavy! Oh! Aish. Aish. (struggling with the bike)
YB: Here (putting his hands on the handlebar as well)
KS: Oh my! What- What the heck are you doing? Take your hands off! Okay?
YB: It’s because your driving is so worrying that I’m doing it. Just because I’m doing this, you’re not quivering or anything, right?
KS: Uh…uh…it’s nothing like that!
YB: Then what’s the problem? I absolutely have no ulterior motive.
KS: I don’t have any ulterior motives either.
YB: Then, that’s good. Let’s go!

YB: Let’s go!
KS: Oh my! Oh my! Oh my! Oh my!
YB: Let’s go! Let’s go!
KS VO: Don’t worry about it. It’s not as if either of us have any feelings about each other. But, wait. If he’s going to be like this, then why did he make such a fuss making a confession to me? Huh? Oh really. If you look at him carefully, he’s really a shallow person.
YB: Let’s go. Let’s go.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

KS' imagination

KS: Oh really, hurry up if you have something to buy, then buy it and leave. Okay?
YB: Oh, where is that thing? (putting on lip balm as he’s looking around)
KS: Oh, why is a man wearing such stuff on his lips anyway?
YB: Is there a law saying that a man shouldn’t have moist lips? Jeez.
(ROFL at KS’ imagination)
YB: Why are you shocked?
KS: Why would I be? What do you want to buy?
YB: Oh, you know. That thing. That thing. That…
Imagination YB: sweet thing…

Imagination YB: that makes you feel really great…
Imagination YB: and having tasted it once, you keep thinking about it…
KS: I’m not going to kiss.
YB: Ki-kiss? Bong-bong. This. Bong-bong. (me: name of a drink)
KS: Ah, right. Bong-bong.
YB: Did you want to kiss me?
KS: Wha-? What? What are you saying?
YB: Then why are you suddenly talking about kissing? Bong-bong on my tab.
KS: Oh no. Oh no, I must really have gone crazy. I mean. Why “kissing”?

ROFLOL. KS really has a case of lust for YB. Glad there were these funny/sweet scenes in this episode rather than having it be all about the angst.

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
  • Thanks 3

Thank you so much @stroppyse for the translations!! 

It is now making much more sense to me. KS is not that cruel. She is just confused because YB took back his confession and she's not even sure if it was a real confession to begin with. A-ha! So basically we are back to where we were at the beginning of episode 5. Ooof.

• Like 6

I don’t see how all those people who know her intimately don’t see that instead of acting like a women in love about to be married  she looks instead like she is utterly miserable and not herself at all. 

Also so she is going to get hammered next episode and Drunk people always tell the truth. I think she will say something that will tell her true feelings once and for all.  

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, RobinM said:

Also so she is going to get hammered next episode and Drunk people always tell the truth. I think she will say something that will tell her true feelings once and for all.  

I think so as well. In the preview, when she's talking to her "oppa" MD about how she keeps thinking about YB, she's using a drunk voice to do so. So, hopefully, that will give MD pause in his pursuit of making KS his wife.

Though, I also have sympathy for MD who has been in love with KS all of his life, and was just waiting for her to grow up so that they can be together. He didn't realize that she would fall for another man instead of him. Is there an emoji for a heart breaking? :(

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

@stroppyse :heartbreak:

I don't think YB will hang around for the wedding. So I think it will be either or both KS and MD who break it off. Then maybe KS will run to Seoul to find YB. 

Do we know who that mysterious woman with the umbrella was today? Maybe she was just there to make us think for a moment that YB had slept with a random woman instead of NJ haha. 

• Like 5

I just popped by to say this: silly YB and his silly tactics. Why did you have to tell KS that you are taking back your confession? You were doing so well, being all sincere and earnest and adorably in love. You confused her! KS is not one for wiles and games. And now you have blown it. She’s going to marry someone else.

I’m basing my rant on the videos that @stroppyse kindly translated. I have not watched the whole ep with subs yet. But I’m sad. Really sad, @triplem @turtlegirl @RobinM.

• Sad 6

Nah. If he thinks it’s a done deal why would he torture himself even more? I believe the crying scene will be next episode and  MD will do the right thing and let her go because they obviously don’t get married.  I am disappointed Grandma is not more intuitive of her Grandaughter. 

• Like 5

Okay a correction to my recaps..rewatching this scene , and I think the kid is telling YB that actually Halmoni is favouring MD & not him. Makes more sense as to why KS would choose MD . Is it true @stroppyse

Not wanting to jump to conclusions, but maybe the kid is pulling a fast one on YB . 

@joonminfan Yes , I wish that YB did not pull back his confession. But he being the defensive cute Lil  sea urchin that he is , it’s only to be expected . That’s why in the preview KS keeps giving him that forlorn look - it’s like she’s is needing  him to do something about it  . But seriously I pity him , his heart is crushed. She needs to step up this time & be true to her own feelings 

@turtlegirl @RobinM I think grandma is not aware of YB’s feelings for KS , but yes I’d expected her to realise that KS is not going into the marriage for love . But MD is a good guy too, someone they know all their lives - so maybe she’s happy that KS will always be in good hands . But of course I can’t help but feel a little like this

Spoiler

I do not want the drama to drag the whole marriage thing. I felt from watching raw, it’s like groundhog’s day with YB turning back the clock & we are back to square one .As it is the ratings are down , possibly because of the holidays , great competition from sky castle & also the sbs awards, but audience won’t tune in if the storyline is repetitive. This is not a 16 episode drama with the luxury of time . The pace prior to this has been good , so hope that writer & PD won’t disappoint us . 

Spoiler

Edited by triplem
  • Like 6
  • Sad 1