Quantcast
marykarmelina

[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

@ahdrianaa: Funny that you pointed out the same thing I suspected: That most likely Jin Hyuk's Appa could tell that the pixelized male figure beside Cha Soo Hyun in the rest stop was his son. 

I tweeted a few days back about an article which wrote about the term "boyfriend,' a common name which, of late, with the hashtag sign,  has become a Proper Name to refer to Park Bo Gum: #Boyfriend.:)

The drama, with its conventional theme, is doing an awesome job in taking the "non-conventional, refreshing narrative route, pulling in surprises for its viewers!

And yes, I know I sound redundant, but the drama's cinematography is  "postcard-worthy"!

Thanks, everyone! Your insights make my heart full!!!

• Like 13

"I'm being told not to go, but there's a road I wish to take... that's life, and longing.. It's you..." - Cha Soo-hyun  ep3

endearing scene

yu7gszcid5hq.jpg

The ending scene was refreshing ,it was just perfect.:thumbsup:Like a painting come to life.

DtvTzq4U8AA9kGD.jpg

wl8yfp1ics5w.gif

PREVIEW

JH – Do you want to take a walk?
JH – We met in Cuba with no money. then we met again as boss and employee. It is kind of a funny relationship.
SH – Your hand.
SH – I was smiling without noticing.
JH – Love started at that moment.
WS – Find out everything about that employee.
JH – Do you think we will meet each other again?

https://www.dramamilk.com/encounter-episode-4-live-recap/

• Like 23

The one think that drives me nuts about Dramas is how the gossip mill has so much power. Want to ruins someones life? Make up a story and broadcast it to everyone and people will believe it hook, line and sinker. Since I am not big following gossips or social media ( other than dramas, lol) I am not too sure if it is like that in real life. But it just rubs me the wrong way.

Though I do think that JH's way of dealing with the issue was very good. He was making a very bold statement to them. Which was, there was nothing shameful about the situation, and it was in fact something rather normal. And secondly, it was showing SH that she was not alone and that he was not going to let her carry the burden by herself...which instantly made her burden lighter.

• Like 14

Seoul Metropoliitan Rating: 11.486 %

We only have reasons to celebrate, chingus!

• Like 17

Waiting for subtitle 

Its funny how SHK cant stop smiling when bogum said she's cute. 

2Z8ZYIb.gif

Thats why director need to push bogum away, so SHK can focus with her line hahaha

OBS3ipT.jpg

PBG is truly a woman's killer :joy:

FV7QKKl.gif

Cr in the tag

Spoiler

Its happened with kim yoojung too in MDBC 

• Like 11
  • LOL 4

2 hours ago, ahdrianaa said:

Previous episodes referenced the princesses in Roman Holiday and Cinderella .

Possible references after watching this weeks episodes while it’s still fresh on my mind. It might get long and repetitive in some places. 

PsycheXEros

The episode shows a painting of a sleeping woman whose face is covered with a butterfly. In Greek mythology there is this story of a princess called Psyche, Psyche is also the Greek word for butterfly and spirit/soul. The princess is famed for being the most beautiful woman in the world and undergoes many trials, tribulations because she has earned the wrath of the goddess Aphrodite.Psyche’s troubles start because of her father the king. He tries to find her a husband she can love, having set certain actions in motion he loses control. Psyche pays the ultimate price and it is ordained that she will be bride to a non-human groom. The king feels helpless but being weak of character abandons Psyche. On her wedding day she sets out dressed for a funeral and she is whisked away by her groom. The twist in the story is that her husband is Eros, the god of love and the son of the goddess who is the bane of her existence. His mother intends for Eros to punish Psyche but he is secretly in love with the princess. 

Due to some trust issues he leaves Psyche but is still in love with her and shields her from his mother. While Psyche is on a lonely journey to discover herself, the princess is plagued with judgments of the subjects of her kingdom. In the beginning she is quick to despair and give up but as the story progresses there are strong elements of depression, transition, maturity, control over her own life  and the ultimate triumph of love. 

During said journey, Psyche even falls into an enchanted sleep. The drama keeps associating sleeping pills with CSH. 

CSH is Psyche, her father is the king who loves her but he’s helpless, similar to the princess CSH leads a death like existence ever since her father joined politics, the MIL is Aphrodite , her ex husband is Eros who truly loves her , people passing judgements is the rest of society who views her life as press fodder.

Psyche journeys back from the land of the dead, gets back with Eros which could mean that the story might end with CSH getting back with her ex husband. 

DionysusXAriadne 

Ariadne is the beautiful daughter of King of Minos, popularly known as King Midas. There is a monster living in this kingdom called the Minotaur which is half man and half bull. The king demands an annual sacrifice of sons and daughters to this monster. Prince Theseus of neighboring Athens comes to kill the monster and succeeds in doing so with the help of Ariadne. Theseus tells Ariadne that he’s in love with her, they elope and run away. Theseus is deceitful and abandons the Princess on an island while she is asleep. 

After finding herself abandoned on the island the princess cries herself to sleep, unbeknownst to her the God Dionysus who is  symbolised using grapes, grapevine and alcohol reaches the shore and falls in love with the sleeping Ariadne. In Greek culture the god who rules the psyche(butterfly/soul/spirit) is Dionysus. Dionysus is artistically represented as a handsome young man who brings music and dance with him wherever he goes, accompanied by magical beings like the satyrs. 

When she wakes up she is startled to see a strange man in the island with her, Dionysus asks her the reason for her sadness and gives comfort to a grieving Ariadne. He later confesses his love for Ariadne, she accepts him and later finds out he’s a god. Ariadne is given the gift of immortality. 

A chance meeting on the island of Naxos brought Ariadne and Dionysus together.

Some versions of this story suggest the involvement of another god called Hermes, he is known as the messenger of the gods. He is also known as the god of transportation. Hermès interferes and introduces Ariadne to her true husband Dionysus.

CSH is Ariadne, her father is King Midas and this is heavily hinted in the episode with the image of a king, her mother is the monster - CSH asks her mother if she’s a monster in episode 3, Prince Theseus is her ex husband, Hermes is Nam Driver. 

Image of King Midas drawn by the official artist of the drama with his golden cup 

KJH is Dionysus, drama gives us several clues. CSH says he is a green grape , KJH’s e-mail is greengrapeman, the color green is used to refer to his youth- Dionysus is youthful looking. His character is introduced in the drama with music and dance, he is pulled towards CSH from the first time he lays eyes on her. CSH  has been robbed, is helpless by the sea and is about to doze off. KJH to the rescue, she wakes up to find him. She makes what seems to be a strange request for alcohol, KJH provides the alcohol. He provides her with music, suddenly there is a choreographed dance number in the background - these are the accompanying satyrs. 

Like Ariadne and Dionysus, KJH and CSH could also have a happily ever after. 

Pegasus 

The artist shared some images on Instagram, a winged horse and small figure of a girl in the tower. 

Seems similar to the lore of Pegasus, he helps Perseus save a princess called Andromeda who has been abandoned near the sea from a vicious sea monster which has a serpentine head. Andromeda’s mother is the vain Queen Cassiopea whose boasting lands Andromeda in the path of the monster. Pegasus alludes to facilitation of travel that would be Nam Driver and the other characters are self explanatory. Perseus and Andromeda have a happy ending too. 

Snow White 

The sleeping pills could also allude to the story of Snow White , evil (step) mother who is  power hungry. The first time CSH falls asleep she is dressed in bright red, in sleeping beauty the princess falls into enchanted sleep after biting into a red apple. The princess wakes up to find her prince, CSH wakes up to find KJH.

In Snow White there are seven dwarves, in the drama with the exception of KJH and CSH’s family members and the evil PR team member there are 7 positive characters. 

Using the image on the first page of the thread having scratched out the traitor. 

Sleeping Beauty 

Previous artwork shown in the drama shows a castle covered with spinning wheels. In one image there is a young girl and the other shows the same tower but the girl has matured into a woman

The princess is cursed to die if she pricked by a needle and can only come out of her enchanted sleep if she receives true love’s kiss. CSH nearly dies in the first episode because she’s so sleepy, KJH rescues her. 

The artwork shows the woman in the shadow of a moon alluding to sleep. The passage of time is the loneliness in CSH’s life from her younger years to present day.  This story also like the Sleeping Beauty has a positive outcome. 

Rapunzel 

The previous artwork shows the woman standing in the balcony of an impossibly long tower.

In Rapunzsl the princess is locked in the tower by an evil witch because of the greed of her parents, the king and the queen.

The witch cuts Rapunzel’s hair to stop her from meeting the prince. CSH has short hair before and during her marriage, her present short hair could be a metaphor for what she’s already because of her MIL.  Evil MIL threatens to take away CSH’s hotel to stop her from meeting the KJH. The prince can’t climb the tower without the princess’s long hair, KJH can’t meet CSH under present circumstances if he’s fired or she loses the hotel. 

In episode 3 KJH is counting the floors to the building and her office is high up like a tower. Like the princess is locked up by the witch, CSH is confined to certain spaces as per the wishes of the MIL. 

Forbidden Fruit versus the Apple and Grape

In the Bible, the eye catching red apple is forbidden fruit in the garden of paradise , the one thing god has forbidden Adam to taste which will ultimately lead to the downfall of man. CSH is the eye catching red apple, Adam is KJH, God is Adam’s creator/parent - KJH’s mother has forbidden him to involve himself in a relationship with a divorced woman. The snake in the garden is represented in the poem “yearning”. Adam is banished from life as he knows in paradise, KJH will be fired from work and face other dire consequences in his life if he is to engage with CSH. 

Before Christianity spread in the Slavic states there was this goddess called Ziva who rules life, fertility and immortality. She is seen carrying an apple in one hand and bunch of grapes in the other hand. CSH and KJH are the apple and grape, the rest of the story is completely opposite to the Bible - a male god who punishes and a female goddess who nourishes, loss of life in the earlier story and the power to give life in the story of the goddess. One would result in complete destruction of KJH and CSH, the other story has a positive outcome. 

This is a pictorial representation of the Goddess with the apple and grape in her hands.

Princess Diana  

There are also obvious similarities to Princess Diana’s life. Infamous divorce ,cheating husband, heightened paparazzi interest, romantic relationship with a commoner, interference by famous in laws who believed that she was still answerable to them and indifference by her own family who wanted to stay in the good books of the royal family. Some sources state that Princess Diana’s personal chauffeur was extremely loyal to her and facilitated many of her romantic rendezvous. 

Princess Diana dies in a car crash after being chased by the paparazzi. CSH has been in two car accidents within 4 episodes. The day Princess Diana died the car was not driven by her driver. Nam Driver wasn’t the driver the two times CSH finds herself in a car crash. This could be foreshadowing, CSH like Diana might end up tragically dead.

I think these were the only references that I could find till now. In some places fans have started calling CSH a peach but I am now more than ever convinced that she is an apple. 

wow to have come up with these is just amazing. now we see why this drama is not just what people expect it to be. there is so much material underneath it. with the greek and roman classic you really never go wrong. and with viewers who can catch those, this is why we have this much fun and fullness. 

who is the official artist's drama? no wonder it was such beautiful work. an old fairy tale book coming alive with so much richness in it.

Edited by Berou
Please do not quote images. Thanks :)
  • Like 6

Good day to everyone! I've completed episode 4, oh my... Bogummy's character is not simple. The ending scene of ep 4, my reaction was... that's right, she should live as a normal human being, with equal rights as everyone in the lobby. 

I also wanna thank everyone who sent me messages about the lipstick, seems like the big reveal appeared :) All her lipstick shades are probably from Sulwhasoo... I should quickly go to their store next week to get some for myself. 

• Like 7

I am all caught up now, and I love it.

To be honest, I rolled my eyes when I first heard about this show.

This is because I was once getting my hair done at a salon in Koreatown (Los Angeles) and saw a scary group of ajumas there, cursing out ("that beetch!" / "nappeun nyun!") Song Hye-Kyo for daring to seduce Song Joong-Gi. OMG, they were like sasaeng fans.

I could just picture this group of women full-on rioting when they see Evil Witch Song Hye-Kyo put her grubby paws all over PARK BOGUM.

Because if there is an ajuma fantasy come to life, it is this guy. No joke.

So I was prepared for this to be cheesy and ridiculous.

But you know, it's actually really good?

• Like 4
  • LOL 9

Here is an analysis by dramamilk.. Just check out this thread.. This drama is full of subtle hints which is associated with CSH n KJH!! I would repeat it again this isn't a simple show.. This is a masterpiece with deep meaning to it!! 

@bebebisous33 spot on chingu!! Ur analysis is again soo beautiful.. It describes CSH's plight beautifully!! 

I have always thought the beginning artistic opening shows what is gonna happen in the episode.. 

The first episode, it showed the princess moving in palace n being trapped in the politics of kingdom n comes out n sees a fresh person with a book!! The episode was abt KJH n CSH meeting.. 

Second one a boy raising a shoe to Queen.. It was abt KJH and CSH's status.. KJH can be considered poor boy while CSH is a queen but he still sends help to her as decipted by shoe!! 

Third episode it was Sleeping Beauty n analysis done by @bebebisous33 beautifully!! 

Fourth episode the opening one was a boy n girl surrounded by snakes aka obstacles n KJH n CSH r surrounded by enemies but at the end still they manage to break free as explained by @ahdrianaa..

P. S. Every little thing in this show has meaning to it.. We just need to see it to analyze 

P. S. S. I expected a rating explosion.. But still am happy.. Hoping it would increase by next week!! 

• Like 14

So beautiful..:wub:

Cr: mrsheart_sarah

• Like 6

Yay for strong ratings!

I've been noticing that most of the articles and comments on naver are focusing on PBG and how adorable he is (and I agree!). But I just wanted to show SHK some additional love and share this article I came across (it was like a sub-featured article) while browsing naver. It was translated by me, so I apologize if it's not perfect. It also has a nice little character analysis of CSH which I appreciated. I also included some of the comments left by readers below.  

https://m.entertain.naver.com/read?oid=076&aid=0003354828&cluid=enter_201812062320_00000008

"Encounter" Song Hye Kyo's tears + smile. 'Touching' emotional ending, irreplacable actress.

Sometimes a single look can mean more than a 100 words. So many meanings in a single glance. It leaves a resounding impact on viewers. In this respect, the way Song Hye Kyo acted through her eyes at the end of the 4th episode of the Wed/Thurs tvN drama "Encounter" deserves attention. 

Song Hye Kyo's character in Encounter, Cha Soo Hyun, is a woman who has never once lived a life she has chosen. Even though it seems like she has everything as the CEO of a top hotel company, she is woman who has never been able to express how she truly feels. Every action becomes an issue, and she became the queen of gossip. Her life was not free and emotionless. 

This kind of Cha Soo Hyun met Kim Jin Hyuk, a man who has lived a life completely opposite of hers. When she is with Kim Jin Hyuk, she forgets reality and rediscovers the laughter she had once lost. But she is also fearful as he approaches her. She worries that his life will become complicated because of scandals, that she will have to once again painfully push away another friend she has come to know.

The sleeping Kim Jin Hyuk can sense Cha Soo Hyun's loneliness in her confession. She lived a life where simple things like making friends was a difficult feat. Rather than experience the pain of pushing friends away over and over again, she eventually decided to choose loneliness first instead. 

In the midst of this, Cha Soo Hyun is faced with a sudden problem. Someone posted a rumor about her on the hotel employee forum. Like she has always done before, Cha Soo Hyun goes about her day head strong. But in truth, the stares and attention she receives are difficult for her. In this moment, Kim Jin Hyuk bravely appears in front of her. The way her eyes brim with tears as she stares and smiles at him is a touching moment. 

Song Hye Kyo shared Cha Soo Hyun's emotions and story through her eyes, pulling in the viewers. Cha Soo Hyun was used to enduring everything alone, but was that much lonelier for it. Kim Jin Hyuk's presence becomes a warm comfort for her. As  tears fill her eyes, Cha Soo Hyun's emotions also grow. It is because of the warmth embracing her loneliness. With tears that look like they could fall at any moment, she smiles. Her presence at the end leaves a lasting impression. 

Even without saying much, with a stare, a look, Song Hye Kyo speaks to the viewers. She helps make the end scene that much more special. There should be a greater appreciation for actors who can express so skillfully. Song Hye Kyo, an actress who can express emotions so deeply, we look forward to seeing what else you can show us in the future. 

----------

Comments:

"I'm pulled in by her"

"This is why people say SHK, SHK. CSH fighting!"

"While reading this, I remembered that the director had said he couldn't think of another actress who could express CSH better. From looks, to facial expression, to her gaze, CSH is an exact match with SHK."

"A look that makes me pay attention. I could feel SH's emotions through her gaze, and I laughed and cried along with her. This is SHK's strength."

"SHK is so good! PBG is also a cool boyfriend. Daebak!"

• Like 15
  • Thanks 6

Friends I'm back-reading through the thread and listening to Lee SoRa's OST song and I.just.have.so.many.feelings!!!!!!  You all are amazing :D

• Like 4

I’m totally hooked!

The chemistry between SHK and PBG is 100% :heart: so far, I like where the story is going.

Also, please somebody help me. I’m so desperate. I’ve been trying to find this song since the first episode was released.

I can only type up the lyrics of the song:

”the morning sunrise takes me away 

as i'm staring at the light you hold 

the feeling on the dawn 

will take me on to you

You’re my flower and I’m your bee

You know you keep me alive

You’re my reason for everything I do

The other half of me

Oh take me on down a river

I’ll go wherever it leads you 

Oh take me on into you arms

I’ll go wherever world you’re on”

anybody here who knows the title or artist of the song? I’ve heard it multiple times on different scenes. There is a female version and a male version. This is driving me nuts!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Just now, arielly said:

Also, please somebody help me. I’m so desperate. I’ve been trying to find this song since the first episode was released.

I can only type up the lyrics of the song:

”the morning sunrise takes me away 

as i'm staring at the light you hold 

the feeling on the dawn 

will take me on to you

You’re my flower and I’m your bee

You know you keep me alive

You’re my reason for everything I do

The other half of me

Oh take me on down a river

I’ll go wherever it leads you 

Oh take me on into you arms

I’ll go wherever world you’re on”

anybody here who knows the title or artist of the song? I’ve heard it multiple times on different scenes. There is a female version and a male version. This is driving me nuts!

same here! i wanna know :) thanks much for the lyrics @arielly!

• Like 5