Quantcast
marykarmelina

[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

@bebebisous33, JWS’ second? time sitting in his car outside CSH’s house definitely elevated my perception of him to the creepy level. As a viewer I felt his violation of her privacy more acutely in the episode where JH brought CSH home after she got drunk. Even while he watched JH leave the apartment it made me shudder because of the way it seemed like he was lurking in the dark and JH had absolutely no idea he was being watched from the dark. Downright creepy to me. It does remind me of the image of the wolf prowling around in the dark as shown in the opening.

• Like 21
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, sugarbunnee said:

I wasn't sure I would be posting here again but my love for the last episode and our JinSoo couple brought me back to say a few words.

I pretty much lost it at Jin Hyuk's expression when he opened his door to find Soo Hyun standing outside. The overwhelming sense of joy, relief and love in that look was everything! It gave me such feels and brought me to tears. We all knew and I'm pretty sure they had a tacit understanding that she loved him back but in this episode she actually said the words out loud at a moment when he really needed to hear them and then she showed him just how deep that love was when she turned up at his home, reinforcing the message that she chooses him and he is what she values more than anything in the world. Jin Hyuk had been dropping hints all along that he was all in on this relationship but with this one gesture Soo Hyun showed that she is just as committed and it was wonderfully sweet how he reaffirmed it yet again with what he said. This couple uses their words and also backs them up with actions. They are absolutely end game!

JinSoo may just have become my favorite Kdrama couple ever. Everything from their fateful meet cute to the lovely and natural progression of their relationship has been sublime. And for all the heart fluttering romantic moments, this is a relationship that is well grounded and solid because it is balanced and based on a foundation of mutual attraction, respect, consideration, understanding and friendship. This is the type of relationship that is built to last in both the drama world and the real world. This is a couple that actually communicates with one another and when facing hardship, each would rather suffer on their own than see the other one suffer. They just need to be better at recognizing that they are at their strongest when they are a united front. This is what a healthy and loving, adult relationship looks like. Take a good look JWS!

I'm anxiously awaiting the next ep for the family dinner. I think/hope it would go well. The setup with JM blabbing about the event for the death anniversary of SH's ex FIL and her showing up to dinner at their house instead should speak volumes to them about her feelings and level of commitment to their son. Daddy Kim has already shown that he is willing to give JinSoo a chance by encouraging JH to invite SH over for dinner and having him on board should help convince Mommy Kim. She is a modest and simple lady but she is also kindhearted. She doesn't know SH and probably worries that because she is rich, she is "fancy" and accustomed to a certain lifestyle. And SH is anything but fancy or snobby despite her status. She happily rode in Dae Chan's truck and some of the places that SH and JH have gone to are far from high class (Subway!) and she has enjoyed them. Once Mommy Kim sees how down to earth she is, it should hopefully put her at ease. She is the type of mom SH wished for and never had so how sweet would it be for the two of them to bond. 

I don't know what the deal is with JWS at this point. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt that there are actually altruistic intentions behind his actions but everything he does just comes across as self serving and deluded. He definitely doesn't have a clue about what love is and honestly dude needs to learn how to love himself before he can love anyone else. A good place to start would be by getting out from under Mommy's thumb because she is toxic.

SHK and PBG are both killing it with such exquisitely compelling, multifaceted and emotionally resonant performances. They have truly brought SH and JH to life in the most beautiful way. Anyone who wants a master class in acting with your eyes needs to watch these two.

Your post is just exactly how I feel after watching episode 12. Thank you for writing this. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

Or has she asked Nam and JMJ to lie that she got suddenly ill in the car?  

I don't think she would do this--lying would only muddy the waters and make her seem weak.  If SH lies, then she would be showing that MIL still has power over her.  Instead SH is making a deliberate choice not to go the the memorial, and she is aware that her message of independence would come across clearly to the MIL.

Somehow this reminded me of a line from a book that I read long ago:   character who had been betrayed told the truth to the betrayer because "he no longer deserved the dignity of a lie."  Sometimes we tell little lies to avoid hurting people but SH is making the statement that she is no longer under the thrall of MIL, who most definitely does not deserve the courtesy of a little white lie. 

I

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, sugarbunnee said:

SHK and PBG are both killing it with such exquisitely compelling, multifaceted and emotionally resonant performances. They have truly brought SH and JH to life in the most beautiful way. Anyone who wants a master class in acting with your eyes needs to watch these two. How can there only be 4 more episodes? Never have I wished more for a drama to be longer and I hate long dramas. Surely there will be more angst but SH and JH better be getting a happily ever after or I swear I will fly over to Korea to track down the production team to demand a reshoot!

@sugarbunnee I agreed with Your whole comment and observation.

=======================

1 Jan 2019: PBG filming Encounter: buying small tree for CSH scene.(lemon smell from touching and the feel is like CSH is stroking KJH’s hair)

11 Jan 2018: Drink and Snack Support for Park Bo Gum& Encounter: From Music Bank 

Encounter: KJH&CSH’s chicken feet and seaweed riceball. Fans went to try the same shop. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 5

@NongpeeP the impact of PBG and SHK and i'm interested in looking for the plant ha ha.. :D

It is interesting to read all your posts after the latest episodes.  One topic that's highlighted most is the different perspective of JWS's intention in getting closer to CSH.  However, one that all of us agree to and wish for is a happy ending.

As for now I'm just enjoying the ride prepared by the writer... and the acting by our main leads.   

Credit to the owner

• Like 20

@celebrianna & @bebebisous33

I agree that having a controlling parent is not an excuse for WS’ behaviour. Many persons with similar environment do not behave the same. But I do feel sorry because in that environment, it takes more effort and strength to lead a different life.

SH has a mother who is a terrible role model but she doesn’t behave like her. SH is also blessed with a driver who helped her to have a different experience. Linked her up with friends her mother  disapproved. Threw slumber party for her when mother was away. SH’s father seemed more grounded too. She definitely is closer to her father.

WS, on the other hand, does not seem to have a more positive role model in his life (at least not shown in the show). I do see a lot of similarities in his behaviour comparing it to his mother’s. They can be smiling at the person but behind the smiles, there are no friendly thoughts or actions. Both have high handed way of handling situations without considering other’s needs or preferences. I wonder whether to WS, growing up with a mother like his, he might have thought that environment, that kind of behaviour is normal.

• Like 16

6 hours ago, ahdrianaa said:

I keep oscillating between thinking there is going to be a tragic or happy end. There are arguments to be made for both possibilities, the writers have laid down a trail of bedcrumbs; some just to cause confusion in our minds.

On the whole, and when I'm not feeling suspicious, I would vote for a truly happy ending-- not tragic for our leads, nor bittersweet where they part at the end with love in their hearts.  I believe this because at literally every fork in the road where the leads face a choice to stay together or break apart, they make a choice that brings them closer.  Where their lives (and livelihoods) are ever more deeply entwined.  There isn't an escape, except the extreme kind where one person or the other drops off the grid and moves across the world or dies... but this isn't that kind of drama.  The worst physical injury we've had so far is Teacher Lee falling off her roof.  And that didn't even happen on screen.  Even the emotional trauma of the characters is being healed.

If you have 17 minutes to spare, find a quiet corner of your room and listen to this audio excerpt from the World’s End Girlfriend, the book JH was reading episode 9 and he quoted that poem to SH in the last episode.

There are several themes that will jump at you after listening to this excerpt. It’s hauntingly good, dealing with themes of parting, love,memory, death, the impossible becoming possible?, hope, time. 

<>

I know it ends with a cliffhanger, still trying to find the complete book in English. 

These goosebumps enduring lines, in quotes are lines from the book; the other text are just my observations.

”Metasequoia, the living fossil” 

( the tree was considered extinct but a miraculous discovery in China earned this tree the nickname of a living fossil, what was once considered dead and gone, came back to life) 

“There is a Metasequoia tree at the end of the path he is walking and this is the end of the world where he and his girlfriend will someday sit together, leaning with their backs against the rough trunk of the tree. As fire and tears seep into each other or as the moon and rainbow would”

( JH says his only path is towards SH, since she is his entire world ; his world ends with SH. He tells SH to lean against the tree and she thinks it’s an odd pose. Can fire and tears seep into each other? And a moon and a rainbow, together? But if the Metasequoia could come back to life and make the impossible possible, then is there truly any definite certainty that fire and tears can’t come together?) 

I think this is the lynchpin of the whole story.  Everything hinges on the possibility of a transformative miracle.  If a tree can come back to life, then why can't true love defeat evil?  Dangermousie on tumblr talked about this briefly in one of her posts.  She said "the bad guys were (for once) defeated by sheer, unadulterated decency."  Everything we've seen is pointing toward SooHyun being the final author of her own salvation-- not JinHyuk, definitely not WooSuck, nor even her father.  She defeated the big, bad wolf: she told her mother that she'd never be sold again, she has begun to make the efforts to weed out the moles from her hotel, she is the one who disregarded JinHyuk's well-meaning white lie and came anyway.

”love will belatedly fade away, at a touch, just a touch, without a trace, not a mark, like snow in March”

( is love fleeting? Can the memory of true love fade away?)

“memory being what it is, you lose sight of many of the cogwheels turning and meshing with each other. All events leave some kind of mark and after a while this makes it possible to know what the first cogwheel was ......... then it took three seasons - fall, winter and spring - to pass before the next cogwheel began to turn”

(JH and SH probably met sometime in November which is fall season, they have spent winter together and now it’s about to be spring. Will they spend the summer together?) 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

I was wondering who is in the car with Nam and JMJ? Or there is no one else?

I had thought that SH had sent JMJ to convey her respects to her ex-FIL and to let them know that she wasn't able to make it. It would be rude to just ignore it, and her ex-MIL might have been able to make some other excuse as to why SH couldn't make it if SH had just not gone and not sent someone. This way, there is no misunderstanding to her ex-MIL and WS that SH isn't going because she's choosing not to go. At the same time, to everyone else not family, SH has at least conveyed her respects which is pretty much all that's really required of her as an ex-DIL rather than ignoring her in-laws completely since the others wouldn't know about the condition in the divorce settlement that SH had to attend family functions still.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, stroppyse said:

I had thought that SH had sent JMJ to convey her respects to her ex-FIL and to let them know that she wasn't able to make it. It would be rude to just ignore it, and her ex-MIL might have been able to make some other excuse as to why SH couldn't make it if SH had just not gone and not sent someone. This way, there is no misunderstanding to her ex-MIL and WS that SH isn't going because she's choosing not to go. At the same time, to everyone else not family, SH has at least conveyed her respects which is pretty much all that's really required of her as an ex-DIL rather than ignoring her in-laws completely since the others wouldn't know about the condition in the divorce settlement that SH had to attend family functions still.

Wd9y0YN.jpg

I feel terrified for Jang Mi Jin, what a bad timing to sit at CEO seat.. 

• Like 18

Whats with that eternally sleeping thing in ep11. I promise u if they dont have happy ending m gonna lose my mind. I love shk in this drama. Was never her fan but this drama might change it.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, tshering12 said:

Whats with that eternally sleeping thing in ep11. I promise u if they dont have happy ending m gonna lose my mind. I love shk in this drama. Was never her fan but this drama might change it.

I don’t think it will only be you that lose your mind. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 11