Quantcast
marykarmelina

[Current Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구 - Wed & Thu @ 21:30 KST

@jl08 @ahdrianaa I had exactly this movie in my mind, when I wrote my last comment. However, the writer and director are presenting the story in a different way: we see them meeting first in Cuba and in The notebook, they are introduced as an older couple. If my assumption is correct, then I prefer the drama because the present is much more important, while in the notebook, the elderly couple is introduced first. Their love story is presented as a past, as a memory, whereas in Encounter, we are following their love story in the present. However, I sense that at the end, their love story will be briefly shown as a memory... but we follow them in their present life.

• Like 24

@ahdrianaa OMG, you just made me cry with your post. That would be a beautiful ending, with an elderly JH narrating their love story.

I mean there are hints that SH might pass away before he does

”until your last breath”

”until you’re an old granny” “I guess I should live long then”

So yeah, may be somehow their love story reflects that of Samuel and his wife

• Like 21
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, stardustvoid said:

@ahdrianaa OMG, you just made me cry with your post. That would be a beautiful ending, with an elderly JH narrating their love story.

I mean there are hints that SH might pass away before he does

”until your last breath”

”until you’re an old granny” “I guess I should live long then”

So yeah, may be somehow their love story reflects that of Samuel and his wife

Don’t forget that when SH was scared to be alone JH promised SH that she would never be alone anymore and he would never be further than a metre away from her, even that was too far for SH so he changed it to 10 cm. 

Would JH really let SH face death all alone ? He will always be no more than 10 cms away. 

382839-DE-04-F6-47-F7-AED3-B56834-C99-E6

• Like 17
  • Sad 7

JWS and his mother are like a prince and a queen. When JWS hoped, CSH would appear at the death anniversary, this picture came to my mind: this is like a royal funeral, where the deceased king brings his wife to the afterlife. She is forced to follow him to the mausoleum. Back in the past, servants and wives had to follow their king so that the monarch wouldn't feel lonely in their afterlife. For JWS, it didn't matter if this meant her "death", as long as she would be by his side. That's when I came to realize why JWS's world is associated to death.

Money is the reason. Money destroys everything: family, love, friendship, loyalty etc. When CSH lived in the high society, she had no friend, her family was almost nonexistent and when she started living with JWS, it got even worse. She almost died in there, she was like in a coma. Money is the reason why director Choi betrayed CSH, why chief section Lee also joined director Choi, why KJT also betrayed Donghwa Hotel, why JWS could never win CSH's love, why he has no friend... money kills everything. It uses greed as motivation. So my conclusion is that at the end, JWS will realize that his money is the reason for his loneliness, why he couldn't win CSH's heart and that's when he cuts ties with his mother.  

Striking is that JH considers himself as rich. Sure, he has no debts and his father could give him a roof and good food. Like CSH said, he has something CSH doesn't have: a loving family.  JH is rich too because he has friends, true friends who won't betray you (see HI). 

• Like 25

Hello. I've been lurking here and finally decided to log in. Did you guys notice that the broadcast date of the drama replacing Encounter is February 6, but Encounter ends on January 24? Maybe they're planning to air special episodes or commentary with SHK and PBG on January 30-31? I'm still hoping for an extension but I doubt because if they were planning for an extension they would have announced it by now. So hopefully we get at least special episodes. 

Thank you to everyone keeping this thread alive, it's such a delight to read your insights.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, winter spring summer said:

Hello. I've been lurking here and finally decided to log in. Did you guys notice that the broadcast date of the drama replacing Encounter is February 6, but Encounter ends on January 24? Maybe they're planning to air special episodes or commentary with SHK and PBG on January 30-31? I'm still hoping for an extension but I doubt because if they were planning for an extension they would have announced it by now. So hopefully we get at least special episodes. 

Thank you to everyone keeping this thread alive, it's such a delight to read your insights.

Thank you for this information. Between a special episode and an extension, I think an extension would be better lol

But these are all wishful thinkings from me

• Like 19

@stardustvoidYes I would choose an extension too, since special episodes like director's cut or deleted scenes and behind the scenes footages are usually included in the DVD. (If they're going to release one)

Edited by winter spring summer
  • Like 13

Maybe this was already mentioned here but I think I must have scrolled past it while I was backreading so I'll just ask, does anyone know what song Jinhyuk was listening to when he was wearing earphones at the bus stop? 

• Like 3

Hi everyone! Been a lurker in Soompi for the longest time. ENCOUNTER made me logged in and post a comment for the first time.

Just wanna ask... the intro of ENCOUNTER before episode 1 started was CHS Walking in a garden with paintings displayed in the walkways. I happened to observed it after rewatching episode 1 for the nth time that she stopped by a certain painting and gazed at it, then episode 1 starts... Does anyone noticed it also?

Edited by dcartajenas
  • Like 13

22 minutes ago, dcartajenas said:

Hi everyone! Been a lurker in Soompi for the longest time. ENCOUNTER made me logged in and post a comment for the first time.

Just wanna ask... the intro of ENCOUNTER before episode 1 started was CHS Walking in a garden with paintings displayed in the walkways. I happened to observed it after rewatching episode 1 for the nth time that she stopped by a certain painting and gazed at it, then episode 1 starts... Does anyone noticed it also?

Yup, she actually bought that painting and is on display in her house :)

• Like 12

52 minutes ago, winter spring summer said:

Maybe this was already mentioned here but I think I must have scrolled past it while I was backreading so I'll just ask, does anyone know what song Jinhyuk was listening to when he was wearing earphones at the bus stop? 

Can’t remember who actually mentioned but it’s One Leads to Another by Robbie Nevil.  I thinks she’s a Spanish artist. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, dcartajenas said:

It is the painting that she has in her living room later: a castle with Pegasus (flying horse). The painting is used as an inspiration of the first drawing.Encounter drawing episode 1 introduction.png 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Was The very first  preview of the drama a spoiler? We haven’t seen them wearing these outfits right? :huh:

887166-FB-BDFE-44-E5-A20-A-FB29-FC56-D86

His shirt is pink, not white like their first meeting and she is wearing something like the long jacket she wore at the airport (episode 12) but she is wearing a dress underneath instead of the jeans that she wore at the airport. 

2-DE5-B21-C-B20-A-48-FC-ABFB-F6769-C5-CB

The scenes of JH are all shot in the day, full of laughter and people AND his hair is long, how it was when we first see JH in the drama. But it can’t be the old JH because they never met after that night. Then SH is walking all alone at night in Cuba, it’s quiet and not a soul in sight. 

What’s going on? Is it his spirit? did he just move to Cuba and let his hair grow again? 

Or have they both passed away in old age and their spirits have come back to the place where the love began, just like what Old Samuel predicted. 

4146-E456-9380-47-BD-A91-C-0896-F40-A48-

• Like 14
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 6

P.O was a guest on knowing brothers, he spoke about PBG and SHK.

he told PBG during encounter shooting that he was going to appear on KB, PBG told P.O that he was a huge fan of the show and wished that he could also go with P.O. The guests told him that he should have bought PBG along with him.

P.O said he doesn’t have many scenes with SHK, when he shot his first scene with her - he pumped himself to be in a professional state of mind, but the moment he said his line “ isn’t this the person on tv?” SHK turned her head in his direction and gave his a little smile, breaking character P.O also started to smile back at her so that shot had to be scrapped. 

• Like 9
  • Haha 13