Quantcast

great question @dotonly, never really thought of it. probably because in my own language, we tend to use "we" or "our" when it is just in reference to us. hahahahah.. feel free to post another question. @stroppyse ~ all up to you! :) you can answer them as you see them or leave them for the birthday wish next month. no worries.

• Like 2

On 7/12/2018 at 12:26 PM, Lmangla said:

Science trivia: we all love those rain scenes in dramas no? what is about them that you most enjoy? is it the music swelling? the anticipation of some passionate moment?

This is my favourite passionate "rain scene":kiss_wink:

- the dance

- the love confession

- of coz the Kisseu

- the ...the "free show" for the crowd...heeeee

KDrama: Introvert Boss

(Tonite very Naughty channel

.. ok ok juz kidding...)

:glasses:

7 minutes ago, supergal99 said:

This is my favourite passionate "rain scene":kiss_wink:

- the dance

- the love confession

- of coz the Kisseu

- the ...the "free show" for the crowd...heeeee

kekeke... this is a good one -- it is like a scene with multi-features! hahahahah... :lol: haven't seen this drama though.... but what I didn't like was the black jacket hoodie. think am watching too many dark melos where bad evil murderers are wearing black jacket hoodie. so "remove the hoodie please! so we know you are a good guy!!!" :yum:

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

Erhmm.. mm... @Lmangla

U ...u .. 

Spoiler

Spoiled my super duber fond memories of this drama... 

Wawawaa...:wacko: now i cant help it but imagine the male lead has a hammer hidden somewhere in his jacket.:naughty:

13 hours ago, Lmangla said:

:sweatingbullets: LOL... oops, sorry @supergal99

Too late... Lmangla... too...late...:blink:

Spoiler

Oh.. wanted to insert some hammer gif here...hahaaa... 

Come to think of it ... might scare off the birthday chingus...hahaaaa

:sweat_smile::tounge_wink:

Ah...ok ok chill... better stop tease u here.

*cough...cough*

Another Q: why in some drama there are ahjumma with curly hair wig? What is it with curly hair, what is it mean?

Sorry, quick random pick. You can see the wig here. (the mother).

Edited by dotonly
Add vid
  • LOL 2

@Lmangla wow thanks for that great July birthday recommendations. Born in july and a melodrama/revenge drama addict, it's somehow spot on for me lol. Thanks again that list will come in handy ;)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, intrariver said:

@Lmangla wow thanks for that great July birthday recommendations. Born in july and a melodrama/revenge drama addict, it's somehow spot on for me lol. Thanks again that list will come in handy ;)

fantastic! hope you had a great birthday. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One post missing, on page one? I hope its not mine.

Should be very careful with my posts.

August birthdays!

If your birthday is this month, as a community, we would like to wish you “Happy Birthday” :star:

The gemstone for August are Peridot and Spinel. Peridot, with it’s signature lime green color, is believed to instill power and influence in the wearer. Spinel is available in a brilliant range of colors and is believed to protect the owner from harm and soothe away sadness.

Themes of power, harm and sadness -- isn't that the classic recipe for saeguks?

Drama: What are your favourite saeguks?

@stroppyse recommends:

f4b7a385ccfe49638c851ccaf30ea209.jpeg?x=

Rebel: Their Who Stole The People --  it's about the power of a Joseon king gone awry, and Hong Gil Dong who led his people in a rebellion to replace that king. There is also a courtesan to the king who was the first love of Hong Gil Dong but ultimately betrays him, as well as the woman who eventually becomes Hong Gil Dong's wife and true love. Also, there is plenty of harm and sadness, including the opening scenes where Hong Gil Dong's father who is a slave is beaten to a bloody pulp by his master because of some supposed infraction by his toddler son, and his mother is killed by a nobleman who wanted to rape her. Hong Gil Dong's brother is also soundly beaten for being smarter than the nobleman's son.

The childhood episodes which showed the brutality of the slave system made me drop it for awhile despite having some amazing acting, but when I finally finished watching it, I really enjoyed it and even re-watched it. :)

I think this sageuk is underrated, though it relies on a speculative envisioning of a legendary folk hero, so not as interesting perhaps as dramas based on actual history for sageuk buffs. Also, Yoon Kyun Sang plays the male lead Hong Gil Dong, and while I thought he was excellent in the role, he doesn't seem to have a strong international following.

Song:  what is a great kpop song that celebrates power?

@CamelKnight must like science! hahahah... his suggestion has the group plugging themselves through a power socket into a video game world and fighting a monster. here's his suggestion --

Power, harm, sadness.. That's basically every KDrama out there :D

Here's EXO - Power 

For theme of sadness, @LavelyShai recommends Taeyeon - Farewell 

other suggestions on themes of power and sadness from lavelyshai --

CLC - Depression/Tears Bottle,  BTOB- Pray (I'll be Your Man), CLC - Black Dress, Pentagon - Runaway,  Red Velvet - Bad Boy

have you heard these songs?

History trivia: South Korea celebrates its independence on August 15 each year. 5 other countries around the world also celebrate their independence on that same day -- India, Republic of Congo, North Korea, Bahrain, Liechenstein

Cultural trivia: @dotonly asks what is with perms and ajummahs. @stroppyse gives a surprisingly historical reason behind the hairstyle. 

sol32-003.jpg

It's because of the popularity of permed hair during modern South Korean history.  In the 60's and 70's, permed hair was an expression of being modern, but because getting a perm was so expensive, women would sell their long hair to wigmakers to get their shorter hair permed. Getting a perm was also a way of managing one's hair without fussing with it too much. In the 80's, a lot of people including men, women, and children, were getting permed hair, for convenience and as a style choice.

Korean women after a certain age are also expected to not wear their hair long, but rather would to put it up in some way or shorten it since wearing one's hair long was considered a sign of youth and maidenhood. As an alternative to putting one's hair up every day, a lot of women chose to get short permed or bobbed hair, especially as they became older, got married, had children, and were generally too busy to spend time on their hair. The cultural norm even now is for older women not to wear long, straight hair down their backs, and so will get perms, though not the type curly perms of earlier decades.

However, because the perm became so identified with older women, it started the saying of "ajumma hair" or "ajumma perm".

Here is a link to an article which goes into better detail on the history of the ajumma perm, and its ramifications in South Korean female political figures of today.

https://qz.com/989498/the-body-is-political-especially-when-it-comes-to-women-and-their-hair-in-south-korea/

Curious about anything that you watch in dramas and wonder why -- ask us and we will see if it can be answered in the next month's birthday wishes.

To see the list of birthdays by dates, check out: https://forums.soompi.com/en/calendar/

The feature beneath "who's online" (main page bottom) lets you see the members who are celebrating their birthdays that day. If you see your chingu's name here, don't forget to wish them happy birthday!

• Like 5

Jewel in the Palace/Dae Jang Geum:

From cooking to medicine. Great story.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, dotonly said:

Jewel in the Palace/Dae Jang Geum:

From cooking to medicine. Great story.

it is super famous but I haven't seen it. there are lots of episodes right?

• Like 2

54 eps if im not mistaken. I like to see them preparing the food for the royal family. And also the medical stuff.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dotonly said:

54 eps if im not mistaken. I like to see them preparing the food for the royal family. And also the medical stuff.

it didn't make you hungry? :P sometimes want to avoid these food shows because I start to feel hungry after wards. hahahha.. but yea, the medicine stuff is always interesting especially to see how they managed health issue then and how far we have come...

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

it didn't make you hungry? :P sometimes want to avoid these food shows because I start to feel hungry after wards. hahahha.. but yea, the medicine stuff is always interesting especially to see how they managed health issue then and how far we have come...

Hungry maybe, but more like amazed. I even want to be a chef when looking at how they cut the ingredients and arranged the food. Beautiful.

I think in every kdrama that i watched, when they started to eat...drooling.

• Like 2

September birthdays!

If your birthday is this month, as a community, we would like to wish you “Happy Birthday” :star:

The gemstone for September is sapphire. While sapphire is mostly seen as a blue stone, it also comes in other colours such as pink yellow and green. Sapphire represented loyalty and trust. 

So what dramas would you recommend based on those themes?

Drama recommendation:  @triplem who is a september baby (happy birthday triplem! :wub: ) recommends .

school 2013 - it was a really nice coming of age story & rebuilding of friendship between the male leads played by Lee Jong Suk & Kim Wo Bin. And it’s as if reel life translates into real life , the two actors are still very close & hang out often , even going on a vacation recently . As you may know KWB had nose cancer recently. 

Prison-Playback11.jpg?s=900x600&e=t

prison playbook - in my books this is the TOP drama of 2018 and should be on every one’s watch list . Beautiful friendship, love & support between the two male leads played by Jo Kyung Ho & Park Hae Soo. With a large ensemble cast , many moments where loyalty, trust & friendship were on display in a most unusual setting - Prison! 

@staygold recommends

Avengers' club - It is unusual for women to form strong bonds when the friendship is new. This story brought 3 women from different backgrounds together. This friendship let them overcome abusive/indifferent husbands, financial problems, meaningless lives. They discover new relations apart from the central one. This drama is more special because I have rarely seen a well executed, non-cliched story involving middle aged women without making them pitiful! 

bdf5d5a7ce9e765ce50cae8c5231bd1a.jpg&key

A Gentleman's dignity - 4 men going through a major phase - their 40s. They are not really young anymore neither are they old enough. A younger man claiming to be the son of one these men shows up and their world turns 360 degrees! Through all their goof ups and successes their friendship remains constant and strong.

This is a Kim Eun Sook drama, so fair warning about 'cringe cute'! You will find sparks of good writing in between. 

Song recommendation: this OST song "raise me up" by Lee Hong Gi (FT Island)  for the drama Switch perfectly captured the mood and as well themes of loyalty and trust.

Cultural trivia: cherry blossoms! we see them in so many dramas and they create the most beautiful romantic scenes. cherry blossoms bloom after winter and best time to see them is from march end to april. there are festivals and places to see. now doesn't this look like a spot that should be in a saeguk? maybe it was? 

2536659_image_5.jpg

Period: April 7–8, 2018
Venue: Area of Fire Station, Hwagae-myeon, Hadong-gun, Gyeongsangnam-do
Description: Hwagae Cherry Blossom Festival is held around Hwagae Market, a traditional open-air market situated on the border between Hadong in Gyeongsangnam-do and Gurye in Jeollanam-do. In particular, the cherry blossom trees along the six kilometer road from the market to Ssanggyesa Temple are a fantastic sight to behold. It is believed that if a couple walks down this road holding hands, they will grow old together in an everlasting relationship. For this reason, the road is sometimes referred to the “wedding road” as well.

read more: http://english.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/ATR/SI_EN_3_6.jsp?cid=1985915

Curious about anything that you watch in dramas and wonder why -- ask us and we will see if it can be answered in the next month's birthday wishes. If you watch lots of dramas or know a lot of kpop, raise your hand and you can help contribute to recommendations.

To see the list of birthdays by dates, check out: https://forums.soompi.com/en/calendar/

The feature beneath "who's online" (main page bottom) lets you see the members who are celebrating their birthdays that day. If you see your chingu's name here, don't forget to wish them happy birthday!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Like what staygold said, this month themes led to sageuks and family dramas.

I think most of sageuks and family dramas has these themes. With all the political things and other stuffs (sageuks), problems in the family (modern time), you need someone to trust and loyal to each others.

Perhaps "Dae Jang Geum"?

Dont know if the story among the maids in particular can be called as loyalty and trust. Im really bad at describing and explaining something.

@triplem uri September baby...

#happybabyhappymommyhappymod...

Still thinking about which Q to ask for kdrama, so many of them...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was also born in September. I guess the Christmas season was indeed cold back then. :P

I recommend Avengers Social Club, which was fansubbed by us, your fellow Soompiers.

If you haven't had a chance to go cherry blossom viewing, I suggest you just eat it. This is a no-bake cherry blossom cheesecake recipe you should try: http://dailydelicious.blogspot.com/2013/10/sakura-white-chocolate-rare-cheesecake.html

Pair it with your favorite tea. ~

Or try this simple hotteok recipe, which evokes the sweetness and warmth of eating humble street food with your friends:

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/244541/hotteok/

Happy birthday, September babies!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2