Quantcast
0ly40

[Drama 2018] The Third Charm, 제3의 매력

I don't like where the drama is heading.

That beautiful cop heart should not be broken for anything.

She is very encouraging and courageous too and a good girlfriend.

I wouldn't want her to get hurt.

• Like 12

Quick and dirty recap for those who are watching this raw:

JOON-YOUNG:

Joon-Young quits his job, his mother is upset with him for quitting without even a plan. Father is a bit more understanding because he knows that Joon-Young is not a careless person.

Joon-Young goes backpacking to Portugal. He walks and walks and walks. He is so exhausted that he doesn't change his socks (!) and falls asleep without brushing his teeth (!!) He goes to a restaurant starving but not knowing how to order, and the server brings him their "best dish." It is so delicious that he wolfs it down and the server (owner?) smiles and brings him another plate. He was supposed to return to Korea, and his mother is cooking for him, happy to see him - and then he calls and tells them he's not coming home because he has a plan now.

He enrolls in culinary school in Portugal. At first he struggles, and is constantly late. He has an especially bummer time on Valentine's Day when everyone has dates and he is alone. The next day at school, he's having a bad day, but he gets a package from Se-Eun with a hand-knit scarf which makes him smile.

He writes her back a polite note of thanks with a gift, but doesn't acknowledge her feelings.

She shows up in Portugal, saying that she was in Spain to see a soccer match and just happened to swing by? Somehow he believes this? They have a nice evening together catching up and she's off to the airport in the morning. He comes to see her at the airport to bring her egg tarts that he made, but again, doesn't sound like he's interested in her - says, "Bring your boyfriend next time." So she screws up her courage to confess to him, that she likes him, and came all this way to see him.

And their relationship begins. We don't see much of it, but it seems serious. He stays in Portugal for 4 more years - 5 years total - and it's long-distance between them but it looks like she comes to visit him. As he's back-hugging her, she asks him why he likes her, and he says that they fit together well, and that is comfortable. She's disappointed by his answer, but he says that it is such a precious blessing when people fit well, and it's so much better than trying too hard when people don't fit together.

After graduation, he works at a restaurant and is offered a sous-chef position at a new branch. He turns that down and returns to Korea.

In Korea, he opens a small restaurant called "Only One Table" - it's a reservation-only restaurant where he makes one great meal a night. As he's getting to open his restaurant, Sang-Hyun whines that the Ohn siblings are stubborn and always do exactly what they want.

It looks like the restaurant is doing well, and Joon-Young is happy. Se-Eun is doing well as a policewoman too, and making lunch for him every day. He was going to propose to her, but was interrupted, and she drives away. He runs after her car to propose to her. She cries as he puts the ring on her.

That night, his dinner guests walk in and they are: Young-Jae and Ho-Chul.

RI-WON:

I love her. The casual way she announced her pregnancy was dae-bak:

- Ri-Won and Sang-Hyun are eating with her parents (after Joon-Young told them he's not coming home).

- Ri-Won: "When one person leaves, another enters, that is how life is."

- Sang-Hyun, looking thrilled. "So marriage? With me?"

- The parents are happy and tell her she made the right decision.

- Ri-Won: "Actually, I'm pregnant."

- Sang-Hyun spits out his food.

She never marries Sang-Hyun but they raise their daughter together.

After she has the baby, they video-chat with Joon-Young from the hospital. Ri-Won while holding the baby says, "It was no big deal." Sang-Hyun is bawling. His mother says, "I will remove you from our family register!" (for staying abroad too long and not coming home), and his father cheers him on.

When Joon-Young returns to Korea, Ri-Won is the CEO of a successful real estate company or something? She helps Joon-Young find his restaurant space. He specifies that he doesn't want it to be in Gangnam, probably because that was where Young-Jae's salon was/is.

Sang-Hyun is constantly whining that Ri-Won won't marry him. He dotes on their daughter and even does her hair! He asks for a kiss and his daughter pushes him away. She's a mini Ri-Won!

SOO-JAE and JOO-RAN:

Soo-Jae's screenplay that won the contest also became a big hit movie. (Joon-Young watches the movie on DVD with his roommates in Portugal.) The movie's title is: "I will be the one to kill you." Ha ha, hilarious.

So he's livin' large, and Joo-Ran is still his pal. He refuses to say she's his girlfriend in public which makes her grumble. She still gets drunk on the regular, and asks Soo-Jae, "Why won't you marry me, aren't I pretty?" To which he replies, "Have you looked in the mirror?"

Why is beautiful Lee Yoon-Ji playing a desperate and lonely old maid? I don't know.

Soo-Jae looks great out of the scruffy wig, and dressed very natty.

YOUNG-JAE:

She cries when she eats the spicy dish that Joo-Ran cooked, remembering the birthday meal that Joon-Young cooked for her. She stifles her sobs in the bathroom just like when Soo-Jae broke up with Jung-In many years ago.

Other than that, we don't see her in this entire episode until the very last scene. Soo-Jae and Joo-Ran video-chat her and mention that she went away and doesn't call them often, and Joo-Ran cusses her out, as per usual. We don't see her face, and we don't know where she went.

--

12 Video Preview - translated:

Young-Jae: It feels like not a lot of time has passed, but also like so much time has passed.

Joon-Young? Ho-Chul?: So you (we?) meet again, like this.

Young-Jae: What about Unni?

Soo-Jae: Joo-Ran? Of course she's pretty. And cute, too.

Joo-Ran: (drunken sleep, cussing, Soo-Jae laughs)

Young-Jae: It was nice to see you. ... Both of us, we both struggled a lot.

--

12 Text Preview - translated:

예상치 못한 곳에서 재회한 준영(서강준 분)과 영재(이솜 분), 그리고 호철(민우혁 분). 준영은 결혼기념일 손님이 영재와 호철이란 사실에 멍해지는데. 준비없는 재회에 당황하긴 영재도 마찬가진데. 다시 만난 준영과 영재, 서른 둘의 가을과 겨울은 어떤 모습일까.

A reunion at an unexpected place for Joon-Young, Young-Jae and Ho-Chul.

Joon-Young is in a daze when he realizes the couple who made the reservation for their wedding anniversary was Young-Jae and Ho-Chul.

Joon-Young and Young-Jae, after meeting again, what will their 32nd autumn and winter look like?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

Soyou and Mad Clown will reunite with an OST collaboration for JTBC drama 'The Third Charm' Release today, 6pm KST

========

[The Third Charm] Ep 11 spoilers, Seo Kang Joon & Esom

charm.png

Article: Naver 'The Third Charm' Kim Yoon Hye confesses to Seo Kang Joon, "I like you"... they begin dating 

On Joon Young (Seo Kang Joon) goes to Portugal to start his new life. He attends culinary school there.

• Min Se Eun (Kim Yoon Hye) meets On Joon Young at Portugal and confesses to him. They begin dating. 
  • Joon Young comes back to Korea and opens his own restaurant with only one dining table. He proposes to Se Eun. 
  • Lee Young Jae (Esom) and Choi Ho Chul (Min Woo Hyuk) came as his customers. 

1. [+369,-18]
The two match each other so well... So I'm worried about the story in the upcoming episodes. 

2. [+243,-17]
No matter how I look, Esom's character is cancerous.. Seo Kang Joon is really a saint, except for his cowardice. He is a devoted lover. Esom's character is self-centered. Even when her boyfriend says he dislikes it, she still continue to meet that guy. This won't happen in real life. 

3. [+204,-4]
Joon Young looks so happy now. If only his heart doesn't waver when Young Jae appears... Will Young Jae appear as a customer? 

4. [+155,-4]
That's right, Joon Young, just date someone who likes you. 

5. [+102,-13]
Scriptwriter, I'd like to hit you in the face. What are you doing now? Are you trying to show off that you've studied culinary? Other than dating that policewoman, what else did you show us? An episode is gone just like that. If they broke up, they must've had gone through a hard time during that period, you should show that. It looks like Young Jae just went on a holiday. That's why the ratings are falling. 

6. [+47,-3]
Wowww. I was speechless at the end. ㅋㅋ Just let Joon Young marry Se Eun. Who cares if that cancerous character continues to date the doctor or not.. If Joon Young's heart waver now, he's really a pushover. 

7. [+42,-0]
You're not letting him get together with Young Jae after this, right.....? You've gone too far to do that. ㅜㅜ ㅋㅋㅋㅋ Especially the last scene, it was a makjang..... This is Young Jae's 
wedding anniversary, and Joon Young has proposed to his girlfriend.... Are they going to meet as divorced singles for their 3rd meeting....? Shocking. 

Article: Naver 'The Third Charm' Seo Kang Joon turns into a chef.. Begins dating Kim Yoon Hye

1. [+636,-9]
What are they trying to do.. If he ditches the innocent girl he had proposed to, he's just a bad guy.. This isn't right. 

2. [+553,-5]
Are you kidding me? Why would Min Woo Hyuk and Young Jae get married.. If Joon Young and Young Jae start dating again now, it feels strange. Just let him marry Kim Yoon Hye and end this. 

3. [+438,-11]
Policewoman Min should be like in the drama 'Something Happened in Bali', and shoot everyone. What's this? 

4. [+348,-16]
To think that Joon Young's eyes when he looks at policewoman Min is different from how he looks at Young Jae! Actor Seo should get an acting daesang. He's outstanding in every aspect. Actor Seo has to be given an award. 

5. [+206,-2]
I don't want to see Joon Young getting cursed at because he proposed to her and then break up with her. It's better to stay this way and have Joon Young and Young Jae live their own lives happily. This is the first time I hoped the leads don't end up together. 

6. [+182,-14]
The two match each other so well, can't the two be together.. 

7. [+80,-0]
It felt like I was watching the second half of 'Pretty Noona who Buys Me Food'. 

8. [+44,-5]
It was Ho Chul's wedding anniversary with his ex-wife, so he celebrates that every year. Young Jae just went there to eat together with him, isn't that it? It can't be.. that the two got married and this is their anniversary, right? Even if time passes, Young Jae and Ho Chul are still cool friends, of course, Ho Chul likes Young Jae in his heart. And Joon Young is just comfortable with policewoman Min, they don't have problems, so he felt sorry and thought it was reasonable to propose to her... But I think she's not the person who makes his heart throb... Seo Kang Joon's eyes looked that way. 

9. [+70,-0]
This is crazy.. If this happens, and they start dating each other again, the scriptwriter is crazy. I'm crazy for being a first broadcast killer for this drama.. 

cr

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

Had a time to screen last night's episode and it looks like at least to me that JY is trying to find himself and while doing so the policewoman came along so i think JY thinks that this is maybe the best for him. Doing what he likes and being with the person who shares the same likes as him. He is just comfortable with the situation and thinks that its the best. But he was not over his feelings for YJ. The shock in his face was obvious when YJ & HC came. 

As for YJ i think she tried to excel in her field as well. Focused on developing herself as a stylist. But like some of you guys think, i believe that YJ & HC isnt together. They are just friends. 

I'd feel sad for the policewoman cause she was so inlove with JY.

I think JY's character dislikes being in a stressful situation. He'd rather have a laid back type of relationship where everything falls in to place quickly. Just like how he planned it to be. 

• Like 11

1 hour ago, AlexandraReid said:

3. [+438,-11]
Policewoman Min should be like in the drama 'Something Happened in Bali', and shoot everyone. What's this? 

Ahahaha. OMG. Never doubt the intensity of K-netizens!

--

Okay, wow. I too have so many feelings.

Young-Jae married Ho-Chul? WHUT.

I was not expecting that. So she dumped Joon-Young to be with Ho-Chul?

Huh...

I am gobsmacked.

I'm not disappointed or sad. But I did not see that coming.

I guess I wanted to believe that Young-Jae had better, more lofty reasons for kicking Joon-Young to the curb. She did not seem into Ho-Chul at all, so he could sing and dance for her all he wanted, but it would not work. That is not why she dumped her lovely Joon-Young, right? But now it just seems like she wanted a "better on paper" guy. I guess I can't blame her, but that's what it looks like, at least on the surface.

Maybe after a period of recovering, Ho-Chul was still there for her and it does make sense for a young woman to move on.

I don't know. I demand an explanation.

I need Ri-Won to analyze this situation for me!

--

Se-Eun is not long for this relationship, I'm afraid.

Joon-Young may be comfortable, but she's the one working her butt off for this relationship. She always looks nervous, like she's not sure of him. When proposing, he said he feels bad because he hasn't done enough for her. She's like the Joon-Young of the relationship when he was with Young-Jae the 2nd time. I guess the lesson is that when it comes to love, when you have to work too hard for it, it's not good.

And they already introduced her potential new beau. In a brief scene, they show a fellow policeman who is refusing to date anyone because he is so devoted to his parents for their support in helping him become a policeman, so he's not going to date anyone until he pays them back? Anyway, they introduced him pretty clearly for a reason.

• Like 6
  • LOL 5

@chickfactor Thanks for the recaps & translation. Life saver ! 

It feels like to me that JY is on a rebound relationship. So in some ways I feel a little sorry for the girl cop. But I won’t go as far as to say I think JY should just marry her since she loves him & she’s  a better fit . He also needs to value her as much. If he does leave her because his heart is not into it , he’s actually being fairer to her in the Long run . I think at the end of the day one has to be honest with oneself. 

I agree @USAFarmgirl that the excessive hate against YJ is too much . Seriously people need to tamper down the comments & see her side of the story . When she let JY go after the 2nd phase , she was being honest to herself & to him. She could not commit to him the way he does to her. Yes , she regrets it but she knew she could not continue it because she was feeling sorry all the time . Life is a learning curve. 

I think this Naver  comment is the best from the above . At least the viewer is asking us not to jump the gun & see Her side of the story first :

It was Ho Chul's wedding anniversary with his ex-wife, so he celebrates that every year. Young Jae just went there to eat together with him, isn't that it? It can't be.. that the two got married and this is their anniversary, right? Even if time passes, Young Jae and Ho Chul are still cool friends, of course, Ho Chul likes Young Jae in his heart. And Joon Young is just comfortable with policewoman Min, they don't have problems, so he felt sorry and thought it was reasonable to propose to her... But I think she's not the person who makes his heart throb... Seo Kang Joon's eyes looked that way. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jbying7 said:

PS Lisbon/Portugal looked lovely, I think I just added it to my bucket list...:)

Mine too!!  Saw pics of Portugal / Porta last spring and I loved it.  So, have been saving to go there next spring.  Hopefully I can see all the places he visited.  It was awesome.    

• Like 9

With the latest development, I really don't know if I can bring myself to actually watch the drama or not... Just reading about it already made my heart so very conflicted, much less watching it in motion. I love all the characters in the drama and it just really break my heart to see what they are going through. This isn't even a melodrama and still it pains me so much to know what our leads are going through, because it is so real..... Maybe they should have categorized this as a melo instead of rom-com...? Seriously, is there still the com anywhere? and maybe I should just stick to reading recaps only and watch clips selectively. I really don't think my heart can take the heartbreaks.

• Like 8

YJ and HC never got married.. She told him before she broke up with young JA that she couldn't accept his heart. So I don't think she turned around and married him.  And when officer min asked him what he liked about her he never once said it he was in love with her he said he liked because they like the same things they were on same page.  And when she told him she like them in Portugal he was alone and he was lonely in that was the reason why he went along with it but there is big difference in way he loves YJ as opposed to officer man. O fortunately I'm sorry officer me go get hurt but being comfortable with somebody I can understand but he aint in love with her in the expression on his face when he saw the two together explained at all. And the show is about young JA and YJ not about young Jia in officer me..

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, triplem said:

I think it's possible. When Young-Jae was sad that Joon-Young didn't call on her birthday, Ho-Chul was the pinch-hitter.

For the same reason, when Ho-Chul is sad on his wedding anniversary with his wife, maybe Young-Jae is there to be a friend and have a meal with, I guess?

But for now, the episode ended with them looking like a couple so we can see Joon-Young's heart break in two again. So I'll let the show just surprise me tomorrow.

I do have confidence that whatever happens will make sense with the characters they created. Eventually.

--

A few questions, though.

1. So Ho-Chul called to make the reservation. This is a reservation-only restaurant, so could he really not have known that Joon-Young was the chef/owner?

2. When Joo-Ran made that spicy dish for Young-Jae, it made her cry not just because Joon-Young made a birthday meal for her, but Joon-Young made that same dish extra-spicy, because he knew Young-Jae liked it. And remembering all the little, thoughtful things that he did for her all the time was what made her cry.

So how does he become a chef, if his tongue is so sensitive that he has to water down everything? Doesn't he have to taste his own food? Maybe the sensitive palate makes him a better chef?

3. I have a sneaking suspicion that Ri-Won actually liked Sang-Hyun all along, which is why she worked at his bar. I think she keeps him at arm's length just to toy with him. Not a question, just a theory.

• Like 8

7 hours ago, darr said:

I don't like where the drama is heading.

That beautiful cop heart should not be broken for anything.

She is very encouraging and courageous too and a good girlfriend.

I wouldn't want her to get hurt.

I agree... this ep was a real plot twist and since it is called "third time's the charm"... next ep will be their third meeting and there are definitely going to be some broken hearts :(

1 hour ago, Kimberly Jones said:

YJ and HC never got married.. She told him before she broke up with young JA that she couldn't accept his heart. So I don't think she turned around and married him.  And when officer min asked him what he liked about her he never once said it he was in love with her he said he liked because they like the same things they were on same page.  And when she told him she like them in Portugal he was alone and he was lonely in that was the reason why he went along with it but there is big difference in way he loves YJ as opposed to officer man. O fortunately I'm sorry officer me go get hurt but being comfortable with somebody I can understand but he aint in love with her in the expression on his face when he saw the two together explained at all. And the show is about young JA and YJ not about young Jia in officer me..

Yeah.. I think the officer is going to get dumped soon, even though I feel bad for her. It didn't look to me like YJ even liked the plastic surgeon, I think he was just a rebound after JY left Korea. I think JY really likes the officer though, since he did propose to her (something that he didn't do for YJ). I guess we'll see tomorrow!

Edited by Jillia
Please do not post consecutively, edit you previous post instead. Thanks! :)
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, chickfactor said:

So how does he become a chef, if his tongue is so sensitive that he has to water down everything? Doesn't he have to taste his own food? Maybe the sensitive palate makes him a better chef?

Hasn't he always been the one who cooks in the family? He's a good cook and I think it's great that he followed through with what he enjoys doing.

• Like 7

@USAFarmgirl I always love your paragraph snippets.  It is not that I am cheering JY and not YJ.  It takes two hands to clap so they are both culpable of their disintegrating relationship.  BUT there is one big difference. JY wanted to work it out.  Can you imagine if this couple were to be married?  They would have divorced twice.  No no, this is not what anyone would have want for them.   But I agree with one thing though,  SKJ really nailed it with the emotions.  The longing, the hurt, every emotion was written on his face.  And Esom's too. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I felt bad and sad for YJ...she tried to move on but failed and now that they meet again, he is happy, but i love how she tried to smile and be happy for his marriage. That must be hard for her. 

The police station scene reminds me of how she reached out to him before but i think she doesnt want to have any connections with him anymore now thats why she didnt call. 

I hope they can still support each other as friends and live a happy life.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

The person at dramamilk who recap this show is so right. I want them so mutch apart now.

It make me even feel like the worst because I nearly believe that they make her loose her child so she doesn't seem that bad of a person when they got back together.

We got 4 episodes left and it mean they will get back together but I so don't want it right now. If the writers can make me change my mind, that would make them genius.

• Like 5
  • Sad 3

17 minutes ago, yusefull said:

The person at dramamilk who recap this show is so right. I want them so mutch apart now.

It make me even feel like the worst because I nearly believe that they make her loose her child so she doesn't seem that bad of a person when they got back together.

We got 4 episodes left and it mean they will get back together but I so don't want it right now. If the writers can make me change my mind, that would make them genius.

I agree. They were at different stages before and now YJ has lost a child and marriage. Goodness. I don't see how the writer gets them back together, and I can't say I want it. There's so much wrong here. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 2