Quantcast
Jillia

[Drama 2018] Hundred Million Stars From the Sky / The Smile Has Left Your Eyes, 하늘에서 내리는 1억 개의 별

53 minutes ago, teachermok said:

Actually, if only our two male leads- MY and JG- recognized more the strength and wisdom of JK- things wouldn't have spiraled out of control. Sad how their trying to "protect" JK is still somehow a mirror of how patriarchal many societies still are; and how stereotypical gender roles sadly are still pretty much in place even in dramaland. Men are there to fight it out til the bitter end; women are there to be protected.

P.S.

Can somebody please, please tell me what JK's shampoo is so I can have my very own MY nuzzling up my head huhu

LOL. JK must be using a shampoo called "MooKang" (and only sold at Won-yeong Mart) :p

Yeah, I don't think the gender stereotypes in dramas are going to go away anytime soon, most definitely not in Korean dramas who seem to thrive off of these stereotypical tropes. Though since this was based off of a drama written over a decade ago when gender stereotypes were even more biased, I can sort of understand why they couldn't deviate too much from the original though they did make JK seem alot more competent and logical than Yuko so that's a bit of an improvement. But at the same time, if JG & MY had divulged all their secrets to JK, we wouldn't really have much of a story left to see, now would we? Heh.

I remember in the below scene when MY placed JK's hands on his cheeks, he took a noticeably big breath, or perhaps even a sigh of relief that everything in life was finally coming into focus for him and he could finally release the burden on his shoulders and relax...

dZNlTrS.jpg

And I realized that it tied in with MY's last words of the drama in his letter to JG: "I walked and walked, and stumbled and tripped, but when I landed on Jin Kang... I could finally breathe again...."

Yay, for beautiful scriptwriting!

@MidnightRain Oh yes, I think that if MY never met JK, he would've turned out exactly like Se-ran...which I think would've made for an interesting story in an alternate drama. I'm probably in the minority, but I actually quite liked the actress who played Se-ran because instead of portraying her character as an over the top, evil makjang villainess, she showed Se-ran as having mental and psychotic issues which is all the more dangerous because she's unpredictable and feeds off of the tragedies of others.

• Like 14

@hoyund The actress that plays Se-Ran is absolutely fantastic! Even in the first half on the series where she had like, less than ten minutes of screen time, she had already made a huge impression on me. I agree that she gave a very nuanced performance, where she didn't need to flail around and contort her face to show that she was Evil. It was quite chilling watching her act so excited when she was telling Secretary Choi about faking the documents to trick Moo-Young, and when she admitted to Moo-Young how thrilling it was to know that there was someone out there just like her. And omg, the argument before Moo-Young shoots her dead, it was phenomenal, watching her facial expressions change subtly and slowly. She and Seo In Guk were both so wonderfully intense in that scene, it was amazing. 

• Like 7

Okay, I have watched Ep. 15-16 with subs. While I was hoping for a happy ending until the very last minute, I can accept the sad ending of this drama because it made sense within the context of the drama. Also, Moo Young and Jin Kang died without any misunderstandings between them and acknowledging both their shared history and their love for each other. Bonus: they did not kill each other or commit suicide. Rather, a third party (the secretary) was responsible for their deaths.  So many drama endings don't make sense and thus are difficult to accept. But the writer(s) of this drama had laid the groundwork all throughout the episodes so that when the finale came, it was understandable to me and was a reasonable ending. And I was very glad that this version changed the ending to where they were not blood siblings and we did not see misunderstandings lead to a murder-suicide of the 2 leads. 

For me, while the Japan version ending was shocking and extreme, I wasn't really that emotionally invested in the characters, so I was more of a detached viewer. This Korean version ending was more impactful to me because I was emotionally invested in the characters.

Overall, this drama has to be one of the best melodramas I've seen. Writing, acting, directing, cinematography, production values were all stellar. And while everyone in the cast did a good job in their roles and everyone worked well together, I have to give a special kudos to the 3 leads- Park Jung Woong, Jung So Min, and Seo In Guk. Amazing work done by them all. The chemistry between SIG and JSM was on fire all during the drama. When those 2 were together, I was riveted to my screen, because they felt like a real couple.  Please let them work together again in another drama soon, preferably a fun rom com. We can't let that acting chemistry go to waste!

A question for the forum: I've seen a lot of criticism in other places for the Jin Kang character beginning a relationship with Moo Young character because MY was her best friend Seung Ah's  boyfriend. It usually goes like this" MY slept with your best friend, how can you date him?" Some people hate on JK as they believe MY "killed" SA, so how can JK date her friend's killer?  I have a difficult time understnding these posts because to me:

1) Jin Kang was very conflicted about her feelings for Moo Young and struggled mightily with them, and we viewers saw her struggle with her feelings. When SA was alive, JK did feel guilty about her feelings and tried to stop herself. Plus, she did not actively pursue MY ever when he was SA's boyfriend, even when SA told her MY broke off the relationship.  She only started the relationship after Seung Ah died. Seung Ah is gone, so why must JK not allow herself to love? I guess I don't see the reasoning behind why this would be a tarnish on SA memory? 

2) JK did not know the reasons behind MY and SA being in the car together, so to her he was never a "killer".  Why do viewers criticise when JK had no knowledge of Moo Young's manipulations? 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hoyund said:

they did make JK seem alot more competent and logical than Yuko so that's a bit of an improvement. But at the same time, if JG & MY had divulged all their secrets to JK, we wouldn't really have much of a story left to see, now would we? Heh.

True. JK and almost all of the other characters were more logical, therefore more human than their Japanese counterparts. And yes, sad to say, had they spilled the beans on JK when they ought to have, then we would have ended at episode 7 or 8 lol

2 hours ago, hoyund said:

I'm probably in the minority, but I actually quite liked the actress who played Se-ran because instead of portraying her character as an over the top, evil makjang villainess, she showed Se-ran as having mental and psychotic issues which is all the more dangerous because she's unpredictable and feeds off of the tragedies of others.

Her portrayal was utterly convincing to the point that I'm still hating on her when I saw her photos in the wrap up party LOL

1 hour ago, Table122000 said:

1) Jin Kang was very conflicted about her feelings for Moo Young and struggled mightily with them, and we viewers saw her struggle with her feelings. When SA was alive, JK did feel guilty about her feelings and tried to stop herself. Plus, she did not actively pursue MY ever when he was SA's boyfriend, even when SA told her MY broke off the relationship.  She only started the relationship after Seung Ah died. Seung Ah is gone, so why must JK not allow herself to love? I guess I don't see the reasoning behind why this would be a tarnish on SA memory? 

I don't understand those commenters, too.

I agree with you on all points raised: JK was so conflicted (I don't even know how she was able to muster all the willpower to keep on walking away from the hotness that is MY); and we saw how determined she was to stay true to SA as a friend despite her burgeoning feelings for MY. I don't think it is in any way a tarnish on SA memory.

Maybe these people are just too hung up on the fact that JK got into a relationship with her best friend's ex-bf and whom everyone thought to be a sociopath.

May I also add that I saw some comments on YouTube and another forum saying that TSHLYE made Moo-young into a hopeless romantic. I dunno why some people have issues with how MY is so much more human than Ryo was (tho Kimura Takuya was outstanding in that role, too).

Edited by teachermok
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Table122000 said:

1) Plus, she did not actively pursue MY ever when he was SA's boyfriend, even when SA told her MY broke off the relationship.  She only started the relationship after Seung Ah died. Seung Ah is gone, so why must JK not allow herself to love? I guess I don't see the reasoning behind why this would be a tarnish on SA memory? 

I feel like those who made the above comments questioning JK's pursuance of a relationship with MY never fully watched each episode from beginning to end, because if so, it is of no doubt that JK definitely tried to resist contacting, let alone fall in love, with MY after Seung-ah's death. When MY disappeared after the car crash, I felt like JK constantly went to check on his house because she was sincerely concerned for his well-being and wanted to know if he was alive. (Heck, I would feel the same way if my neighbor went missing. I just want to know that he/she is okay) It was MY who kissed her first and I don't think JK was expecting that, but after he made that surprise move on her, I think it sparked something in her. But even then, she told MY to his face they shouldn't see each other again.

From JK's perspective, I've always felt like her interest in MY started with feelings of pity and concern for him as a human, hence why she wanted so badly to see him to choose the right path in life, and then eventually those feelings transcended into a much deeper understanding and love of MY. 

Another reason why those comments aggravate me is because I never even considered JK & SA to be best buddies. Are we forgetting that after SA's mom slapped JK, SA never once apologized to JK? After that incident, she merely used JK as resource for getting in contact with MY. Yeah, they're still friends, but no way were they BFFs. Frankly, if I were in JK's shoes, after the slap I would've de-friended SA completely, lol.

And for those who say MY is a hopeless romantic, are we watching the same show?? Like @teachermok said, he's alot more humanized than Ryo, but MY most definitely did not turn into a sappy, mushy romantic after getting together with JK. If anything, he still carried his flippant attitude around and aside from that one time where he chased after JK, I kind of wished he was more actively showing his care and love for JK. (But then again, if he did that, it would be very out of character for MY so in a way, I'm glad the drama didn't show that and made his character consistent)

I frankly did not like Ryo's character and felt no attachment towards him whatsoever so MooYoung, hands down, is a much better written character in my books.

If anyone loved the musical score of the show as much as I did, listen to the full OST album here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqBvVArN5oA

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, hoyund said:

Another reason why those comments aggravate me is because I never even considered JK & SA to be best buddies. Are we forgetting that after SA's mom slapped JK, SA never once apologized to JK? After that incident, she merely used JK as resource for getting in contact with MY. Yeah, they're still friends, but no way were they BFFs. Frankly, if I were in JK's shoes, after the slap I would've de-friended SA completely, lol. 

HAHA spot on! Even MY could tell how crappy SA was treating JK!

13 minutes ago, hoyund said:

I kind of wished he was more actively showing his care and love for JK. (But then again, if he did that, it would be very out of character for MY so in a way, I'm glad the drama didn't show that and made his character consistent)

Me, too! But I appreciate how MY shows his love for JK in his own way- like the nuzzling (darn i cant get over the nuzzling),  the wide and genuine smiles- MY just lights up when JK is around!

Okay so I've been doing nothing but lying around all day and rewatching scenes, allow me to post random thoughts such as these every now and then. Bear with me as I haven't completely accepted the fact that it's already over!

1. JK caught MY’s interest from the get go, no? All the way from episode 1, MY was already intrigued by JK. Before and during the exhibit launch he showed signs that he’s interested in her (I liked the part when JK switched beers with JG). In episode 2 during CR and JK’s blind date, MY stared intently at JK for several seconds. Also in ep2, when MY saw a photo of SA and JK in the former’s studio, I’m quite certain it was JK he was looking at.

2. JK’s faith in MY was unwavering until the very end. Even when it was pretty evident that it was really MY who killed JSR, JK refused to believe it until she heard it directly from MY. And this is something I find comfort in. Imagine knowing and experiencing a love so unconditional and unrelenting as JK’s love for MY- it truly is salvation in the truest sense of the word. MY is still superbly blessed to have known such a love in his short and tragic life. At least JK had JG; MY only had JK, but her love was more than enough to make him “breathe”- to make him human once more. So beautiful!

3. I said this before, but little MY/ KSH feeding little JK peanuts? That has got to be the most adorable scene in the whole series! And little MY/ KSH’s smile after he put a peanut in her mouth? That’s the smile of a little boy who knows what loving and caring for another person is! Good job kiddos!

4. What do you guys think of JG's feelings for Tak? Does it breech romantic waters or is she in the friendzone?

5. Whatever happened to Kang the Cat?

• Like 9

1 hour ago, teachermok said:

2. JK’s faith in MY was unwavering until the very end. Even when it was pretty evident that it was really MY who killed JSR, JK refused to believe it until she heard it directly from MY. And this is something I find comfort in. Imagine knowing and experiencing a love so unconditional and unrelenting as JK’s love for MY- it truly is salvation in the truest sense of the word. MY is still superbly blessed to have known such a love in his short and tragic life. At least JK had JG; MY only had JK, but her love was more than enough to make him “breathe”- to make him human once more. So beautiful!

Very well-written!

Your post reminded me once more that one of JK's initial goals wasn't just to love MY, but to also help turn him into a good person, or just simply a normal human who could feel real emotions. That is actually what I think the scriptwriter was trying to focus on in MooYoung's character arc more than anything else, how to humanize this boy who had lost all his memories and empathy for others since he was seven years old.

And after rewatching the last episode and hearing MY narrate his letter to JG, the ultimate tragedy that really hit me was when MY said that in that moment when he shot Se-ran, he felt the most human of all, but that was when he also knew his life was over and doomed.

So what makes MY's story even sadder is that he never really got a chance to experience and live life after becoming 'humanized'.

I bet Kang the kitty is off finding better owners in the neighborhood, ones who don't have repressed memories and possible incestuous relationships with their lovers. Lol.

Here's the new clip posted by tvN for those who want to watch tragedy strike again ;)

• Like 6
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, MidnightRain said:

To be honest, I was thinking a lot about the ending last night, going through different scenarios in my head, like: what if Moo-Young just went along with Se-Ran's games and played until she got bored and leaves him alone? She has said she gets bored of things easily and will run off chasing the next thrill. Or if Secretary Choi didn't find them?

And that's when I had this realization that everything was so futile for them.

Moo-Young ended up killing Se-Ran because he knew that even if he kowtowed to her every whim, she would never leave Jin-Kang and Jin-Gook alone. She is always looking for new excitement in her life, and she will stir the pot again when things settle down/calms down. Moo-Young will never be able to get stop her from getting to Jin-Kang and Jin-Gook. Even if he was willingly sticking around to become her toy. 

As for Secretary Choi, even if Moo-Young ends up turning himself in, things won't end well for him, he'll just get murdered in lock-up. The Jang family are very powerful, as seen in how they successfully covered up Woo-Sang's murder-suicide. And Moo-Young killed Se-Ran while indirectly causing the death of Woo-Sang; there's no way the chairman would let that slide. If Moo-Young runs away with Jin-Kang, it'll just be a life on the run from law enforcement and the people that the chairman sends after them. 

If Jin-Gook has been living in guilt for the past 25 years, I can't even imagine what it's going to be like for him after everything that's happened. And poor Cho-Rong too. Now I'm sad again. :(

Yes I've been thinking about how They could change episode 15 because as much as i think The ending was Apt i cant help but hope that It could have been a Happy ending.

Frankly, The way The secretary was given time in The series at all actually Made me assumed they were going to use him in some way, I for one thought that Moo young Didnt actually kill seran in episode 15 and that he just shot her glad of wine but to Only warn her but not at her, and its The secretary Who got jealous by the way seran was favoring moo young like She Made MY CEO of a company when She Barry knew him was so he killed her out of spice and frame MY for murder, thats what i wanted anyway. I'm baffled by the fact they made use of him to kill The leads instead.

That way Moo young Would not have become a murderer and there can be some Happy ending in sight, i mean they can still make moo young's character become guilty by the fact that his dad killed jin kang parents trope and end It With a Happy ending. Seriously that is what i Would have wanted, those two deserve that much after the way They are potrayed By the writer.

Sadly though because they wanted to follow the jversion trope they  still decide to kill The leads off which i think is not even necessary because this version has Already gone Astray from The jversion characters, moo young is way more humane than takuya in the other version. Kim moo young Was not evil he was just lost and ignorant, after he met Jin kang he started seeing things in a different light and makes him a person who is more sympathetic. It was that Side of him which makes me root for him and jin kang, i really wish we could have a Happier ending.

Alas The ending just have To be tragical for The sake of following The original which is heartbreaking for me, somehow that part where They died Didnt make me cry but IT was the scene where mooyoung was looking at The sky imagining jin kang next To him was The one that left me sobbing, he wanted To spent The rest of his life With her he had that hope and dream but IT was robbed off him because he trusted a fox instead of confirming things first With jin kook, that seriously sucks for someone Who is depicted as smart To commit a Crime based on falsified information.

I was Already glad They Didnt make The leads siblings but They still Made him a murderer when that trope could have been salvage and The drama can totally be different from The original giving hope to people like moo young to find solace in someone he has love, and There is a second chance for someone like him, but yeah They had To end it tragically, moo young's saying i love you in The end when he was about To Die is The most heartwrenching confession ive ever seen in a drama, it was a painful way to see The characters say their goodbye.

In The end its just a drama but one that i think is a keeper, The next time i Will Only watch till ep 14 and stop right before moo young thought jin kang is his sister that part when they were in each others arm will be The ending for me instead.

Kudos to somin and seoinguk for an awesome potrayal of their characters and their chemistry is definitely a top notch.Will be looking foward to their next project.

• Like 7

On 11/23/2018 at 6:11 PM, hoyund said:

Is it morbid that I keep rewatching the last scene where they're inside the house over and over and over again? It's like I'm a masochist wanting to torture myself, but I can't help it....it was the very last time MooKang had an honest conversation with each other and the music was so beautiful as it played over them as they left this world...and then Jin-gook runs in and bawls and bawls and I swear that was exactly my reaction when I first saw the scene but I just couldn't wail as loudly or else my neighbors would've really thought someone died in my own house, ha. 

I feel so bad for Jin-gook though. He did everything he could to atone for his sins and had a pretty good darn life with JK before MY showed up. And as they say, sometimes it's worse to be the last one still living and see everyone you love pass before you....Poor Manager Jin-gook :(

Usually, if I really root for a couple in a drama, I ship them in real life too,

Here's one of my favorite shots as I find it adorable the way JK likes to hold MY's fingers 

Since I can't seem to let go of this drama, I'll probably be the lone person continuing to post on here 

For now, I'll leave y'all with my second favorite shot as I'll always imagine MooKang roaming their neighborhood together hand in hand:

Sorry To Cut your post, i love reading your insights on The drama, and personally I ship Kim moo young and Jin Kang so much in real life too, The actors have Made Them seem so surreal that i Dont even see Them as seo in guk or somin. Hehe

All the hand holding and snuggles are so sweet to witness and when playfully back hug each other oh man the feels, I miss them already.

I usually prefer the original dramas from Japan when Korea make a remake, but for this one I actually prefer the Korean version so I can't help but feel that they could have get rid of a sad ending and make it more Korean like, but so far I don't think people are that upset at the ending as they are with the original ending. 

I for one didn't feel pity for Ryo as much as I felt pity for MY character, but that's just me, Ryo killed that woman because he was mad at for her comment of how was it doing it with your own sister, but when MY did it, it was out of fear for Jin kang' well being, he was scared that seran would tell Jin kang.

I really hated the fact they made him a murderer because throughout the drama he has never comitted murder before, so it was kind of out of character for him to just pull the trigger without fact checking the truth first with JG, it took him just a few hours after the murder to call JG and thank him for taking care of Jin kang and suddenly finding out that she is not his sister then was like a what the hell moment for me!

I still love the drama but there are so many what if's that's going through my mind, I keep watching them dying and thinking it should not have ended this way but arghhh it's over and no complaining is going to alter the ending anyways.:bawling:

23 hours ago, teachermok said:

HAHA spot on! Even MY could tell how crappy SA was treating JK!

Me, too! But I appreciate how MY shows his love for JK in his own way- like the nuzzling (darn i cant get over the nuzzling),  the wide and genuine smiles- MY just lights up when JK is around!

Okay so I've been doing nothing but lying around all day and rewatching scenes, allow me to post random thoughts such as these every now and then. Bear with me as I haven't completely accepted the fact that it's already over!

1. JK caught MY’s interest from the get go, no? All the way from episode 1, MY was already intrigued by JK. Before and during the exhibit launch he showed signs that he’s interested in her (I liked the part when JK switched beers with JG). In episode 2 during CR and JK’s blind date, MY stared intently at JK for several seconds. Also in ep2, when MY saw a photo of SA and JK in the former’s studio, I’m quite certain it was JK he was looking at.

3. I said this before, but little MY/ KSH feeding little JK peanuts? That has got to be the most adorable scene in the whole series! And little MY/ KSH’s smile after he put a peanut in her mouth? That’s the smile of a little boy who knows what loving and caring for another person is! Good job kiddos!

4. What do you guys think of JG's feelings for Tak? Does it breech romantic waters or is she in the friendzone?

5. Whatever happened to Kang the Cat?

Awww yes even from the get go we can notice that MY had his eyes on JK, he was already interested in her then, and she met MY first before SA anyway and to think that they were already playmates 25 years ago make my heart flutters. 

Jk started of being the one running away from MY in the beginning but once she was certain of her choice she never wavered once, she keeps coming back to him, all the time, that just gets me. She loves him with all his flaws and seeing that love being reciprocate by MY means so much more. 

I think JG will find solace with tak in the future and the kang the cat must have Her own babies by now :D

btw I love the way MY told JK the name of the cat is Kang, yoo Jin kang the way he said was so playful and without malice :wub:

what could have been if they didn't die still runs through my head*sigh*

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote images, thanks! :)
  • Like 7

Aigoo, this still brings on the waterworks no matter how many types I watch it :tears: Just the way they keep their eyes on each other til the bitter end and MY finding comfort in JK's caress one last time...

• Like 2
  • Sad 6

1 hour ago, hoyund said:

Aigoo, this still brings on the waterworks no matter how many types I watch it :tears: Just the way they keep their eyes on each other til the bitter end and MY finding comfort in JK's caress one last time...

Huhu I'm glad to know I'm not the only one rewatching my fave scenes- happy or sad- all over again. It's all I've been doing the whole day. It's so hard, so fricking hard not to ship them IRL.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

Listening to the full OST album released and some of the BGM's are so hauntingly beautiful :tears:

Go and listen to it guys!!

• Like 10

How are we? Have we finally recovered? 

I think I am going to re-watch this drama again without skipping the sad parts because those sad parts and their tragic ending added beauty and more meaning to the love story of Jin Kang and Moo Young. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 4

Hi guys, for those who are members at Dramabeans you may want to send some love and comment on the what we're watching section. SO many people are turned off by the finale and it does not deserve this much hate.  

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Not yet recover from final and behind back-read and rewatch plan. 

This thread is awesome. Thank you so much for every words, lines, paragraph and pages. I do appreciated so much. Thank You Thank you.

Are we going to have BTS from ep. 15-16?

and video message from OTP for fan? 

• Like 5

I don't know how the promotion stuff works in Korea but usually when a series comes out you would expect to see the actors doing interviews here and there. Is it different in Korea cause they shoot live most of the time?

I would love to see the main leads doing interviews to talk about how they worked together and the experience in general. When I'm watching something that I like so much I want to know everything lol. Hope to see that in the future.

I think I have to watch the press conference. Is there a subbed version on yt? 

• Like 7

50 minutes ago, kdramaaddict212 said:

Hi guys, for those who are members at Dramabeans you may want to send some love and comment on the what we're watching section. SO many people are turned off by the finale and it does not deserve this much hate.  

Thanks for the heads up! We most definitely will!

PS

Already left a comment!

• Like 4