Quantcast
0ly40

[Drama 2018] Witch's Love, 마녀의 사랑

I love how affectionate our couple is. It seems so natural too. What do you guys think happened in the past? Key points

• driver in coma hit by car
  • grannies recognize mom and scar on SH
  • scar possibly caused by knife grnany got from black witch? Why did she get the knife in first place though
  • baseball
  • CH’s mom burned to death and the ring necklace the black witch has
  • the House, someone dragging kid upstairs, rain and a floow

what in the world happen? Sherlock and Nancy Drew wannabes, please arrange a pow wow and get to the bottom of this!!

• Like 5

Yeah! It's Wednesday! 

Just cant wait for our OTP's lovey dovey moments. Keep rewatching Hyun Woo's scenes from his Gentlemen of Wolgyesu Tailor Shop just to wait for today. He and his costar deservedly won the BEST COUPLE at the KBS Award.:heart:

Hope my prediction (1st time on soompi forum that CH's mum is actually the younger witch aka team Brad) is correct!:blush:

Luckily our drama wont be affected by the Asian Games as it is shown at 11 p.m Korean time.:D

• Like 6

Hi! May I know what link is there for live streaming please?

• Like 2

Sorry to join this thread too late. Here's my commentary. It's an overload and an overkill...as usual. 

To me, there are two witches in love here. We naturally assumed that the witch refers to the female lead, Cho Hong (or “CH” from now on). But I believe that the male lead, Director Ma (or “ST” for Sung Tae) is also a witch. He’s a male witch, or wizard, warlock, sorcerer, Harry Potter-lite, whatever the name du jour is.

First, we’ve seen him display his magical powers.

At least twice…as far as I can tell. The obvious one is in Episode 8 (or 9) when he unlocks the gate. But in Episode 2 he also lights up the dark alley as he carries drunk CH on his back.

He tries to wake her up, “Hey. Hey. Wake up. I really think we’re on the wrong street. I was sure it was here somewhere though. Why is it so dark here?” Then, by magic, the street lights turn on one by one.

If you rewatch these two scenes, you’ll notice something about his hands. In the same manner, that CH can summon magic with the snap of her fingers, I think, ST conjures magic UNAWARES when he rubs or clasps his hands. In Episode 2, his hands are joined together in an awkward location right under CH’s bottom. In Episode 8, he rubs his hands together before he pulls on the gate’s handles.

How about the writer JaeWook (or “JW”) then? Isn’t he a witch, too? No. I think he’s human.

To me, it’s purely coincidental that ST suffered a nosebleed as JW was scribbling furiously on the magazine. ST’s nosebleed was probably caused by fatigue (in typical kdrama lore) and change of temperature or air pressure or dry air.

Second, I think that the story of how the witch Cho Hong finds her true love mirrors the story of how the male witch Director Ma finding his destined love, Cho Hong. To me, it’s planned that Director Ma or ST narrates the introduction in the early episodes. There’s a reason. It’s to give the viewers the impression that he’s talking about a third party: the two grandmothers and CH, when in fact, his commentaries (or voiceovers) are self-referential.

Take for instance the voiceover in Episode 1.

He says, “This is a secret but there are actually witches living in this world. People just haven’t noticed them. But there are some crazy amazing people who we encounter every now and then. We don’t notice them because it’s familiar to us and so ordinary. That’s what the real secret is.”

Here, he’s talking about amazing feats of witches like the Chubby Grandma’s ability to carry heavy load or CH’s ability to walk with the heavy trays on her head. His talent is wrestling. The trio of witches run a successful soup-rice business while he runs an equally successful food conglomerate.

Then in Episode 2, his voiceover reiterates the secret lives of witches. “This is a secret but actually, witches live in in this world. It’s just that humans haven’t noticed that. Think about it: when we meet someone whose skills we can never match, no matter how we put in the same time and effort. When we meet them, we are mystified as if time has halted and our whole body freezes. And we are pulled by this inconceivable power. And we come to discover ourselves going towards them without self-awareness.”

Again, at first interpretation, it seems as if he’s referring to their initial encounter – when his car bumped her (or is she who bumped his car?) on the crosswalk. But on their second encounter, it is she who bumped him when her tray. Then, as he searches for the mystery soup-rice restaurant, he keeps on meeting her on the street because she’s walking home to the same restaurant. They both gravitate toward each other “without self-awareness” and without premeditation.

In Episode 3, his voiceover insists again, “This is a secret, but actually witches live in this world. It’s just that humans haven’t noticed.

At times one many meet them in completely unexpected places. Although witches live diverse lives like humans do, it is certain that human values are completely different from witches’. What we regard as precious are oftentimes nothing but trash to them.”

Here, it becomes apparent that ST does NOT appreciate things that normal humans consider valuable. The grandmothers, the secretary, and his mother question his sanity and his purchase of the soup-rice building. It’s ludicrous to exchange his luxurious lodgings in the hotel for that small room in the grandmothers’ building.

The post is too long (and probably tedious to some of you), so please just go to my blog if you want to continue reading it. 

http://bitchesoverdramas.com/2018/08/29/the-witchs-love-the-male-witch/

My last point, however, is this....

But of course, I can’t leave without discussing Director Ma/Sung Tae's nightmare.

I'll connect it with that scene in Episode 3 when the old grandma describes to Cho Hong the horrifying consequences of losing their witch power.

She says, “You’ll end up in a place that’s darkest and coldest and dirtiest in the world, without even one good memory. You’ll suffer from aching and tormented, hurt and furious, wronged and sad. Only with those memories, you chew on and chew on more. If you knew the reasons why, you wouldn’t be frustrated. You won’t remember why you’re sad, why you’re furious, and who you are or where you are. Was I a witch or a human, or was I an animal? If not that, neither? Without knowing anything, amid only desperate screams and evilness.”

Here, the old grandma is trying to SCARE Cho Hong into guarding her heart well. She's describing a Witch's Limbo of sorts. A place  between heaven and hell. To teach Cho Hong a lesson, she makes Cho Hong and the Chubby grandma deliver food to a once-famous opera singer who lost her witch powers because she was stupidly loved a human being.

To me, the interesting point here is if we apply this doomsday scenario to Director Ma losing his witch’s powers when he was a child, then we view his incessant nightmares in a different light.

The poor guy has been in that Witch's Limbo for the past 25 years!  He's lost without his memories of his abduction, and he suffers the never-ending images of the raining night, the knife pointed towards his heart, an approaching shadow in a raincoat, and the building with a pointy roof.

The scary scenario of being powerless that Cho Hong was made to witness is IN FACT a real and present crisis for Director Ma.  The terrifying FUTURE that CH hopes to avoid by finding her fated man is already the PRESENT-day terror that ST has to live with because of that day 25 years ago when he lost his witch's tattoo. 

And that's why I think all those bottles in the Bad Witch's storeroom are spirits of witches who are also trapped in that Witch's Limbo.  They saw the spirit of young Sung Tae escape the bottle, and they too are agitating to be let out.

To be continued....

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

@packmule3 Really interesting theory... I had thought about it once but somehow dismissed it. So let just say that MST is a witch... in his case, his father could have been a witch who fell in love with a human. This would explain why the mother tries so desperately to deny the existence of the kidnapping and the memories from the house. Moreover, she always tries to make him into her successor. So for her, the company is much more important than her son's well-being. I can imagine that the mother could have tried to destroy his witch power, when she discovered that her husband was a witch. We only see the mother and the father is never mentioned. So maybe that's the driver... 

• Like 4

@bebebisous33

yes, his dad could be a witch. 

I would hazard a guess here and say that Ma’s (absentee) Dad stabbed him to get rid of that tattoo. The Chubby grandma carried him in to save him. And the grammas cured him.

lol. I’m illegally parked in Washington DC right now, answering this post, and I see a trolley right behind me. Will continue this later. 

*edited to add: I thought it was his mom, too. But I went back to check her response to her son’s abduction. In real life, in criminal cases, that kind of reaction is hard to fake. 

• Like 4

Just finished watching ep 11 live & although I didn't understand a thing what they're talking about (I cursed myself for it), I'll try my best to summarize some of it (sorry for my bad english though)

1. So after CH shows ST her witch power we don't get to see ST's reaction because the grannies already took care of him & makes him fainted 

2. The grannies put some magic candle in his room & I think the candles erased some parts of ST's memories with CH ( a flashback memories of CH-ST moment were shown for a while)

3. ST is back to his cold behaviour & being distant to CH, it brokes her heart.

4. We get to see what was happening that night, the night ST got kidnapped. I think ST's mother having an affair or something like that with the driver & he kidnaps ST. ST's eyes was covered & later he fell to the ground and some piece of woods pierced his chest when he tried to run away from him.

5. He manages to runaway but faint on the street infront of granny's house.

6. The younger granny piggybacks him into their house & both grannies somehow cured his wounds by putting some pieces of hair on top of his chest after burning it with magic fire & then stab him with the dagger they took from the pawnshop as their last ritual.

7. However, there's something shady with that black witch at the pawn shop because clearly she had her own motif & mostlikely put some spell on that dagger so she had that blue liquid as a result.

8. Am not really sure about what's happening on the later half ep so I won't say anything, but in the ep 12 preview, ST seems to be having a cardiac arrest & in a critical condition.

Ep 12 preview 

Argghh, I can't bear waiting for their sub episodes so I tried to watch them live but the more I watch them in raw, the more I get confuse & it frustates me :astonished:

I need their next ep and their sub ep right now ;;___;;

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, Plummpychan said:

Just finished watching ep 11 live & although I didn't understand a thing what they're talking about (I cursed myself for it), I'll try my best to summarize some of it (sorry for my bad english though)

1. So after CH shows ST her witch power we don't get to see ST's reaction because the grannies already took care of him & makes him fainted 

2. The grannies put some magic candle in his room & I think the candles erased some parts of ST's memories with CH ( a flashback memories of CH-ST moment were shown for a while)

3. ST is back to his cold behaviour & being distant to CH, it brokes her heart.

4. We get to see what was happening that night, the night ST got kidnapped. I think ST's mother having an affair or something like that with the driver & he kidnaps ST. ST's eyes was covered & later he fell to the ground with some piece of woods pierced his chest when he tried to run away from him.

5. He manages to runaway but faint on the street infront of granny's house.

6. The younger granny piggybacks him into their house & both grannies somehow cured his wounds by putting some pieces of hair on top of his chest after burning it with magic fire & then stab him with the dagger they took from the pawnshop as their latest act.

7. However, there's something shady with that black witch at the pawn shop because clearly she had her own motif & mostlikely put some spell on that dagger so she had that blue liquid as a result.

8. Am not really sure about what's happening on the later half ep so I won't say anything, but in the ep 12 preview, ST seems to be having a cardiac arrest & in a critical condition.

Argghh, I can't bear waiting for their sub episodes so I tried to watch them live but the more I watch them in raw, the more I get confuse & it frustates me :astonished:

I need their next ep and their sub ep right now ;;___;;

Thanks for the recap....from the clips it seems even though ST no longer remembers what happened with CH he still feels some connection with her. He wasted no time in getting off the car and teleporting himself to stop CH from kissing JW. Spell...shmell.....no ones gonna mess with this couples love for each other:wub:. I also have a strong feeling that little CH might have used her powers on little ST to heal him or something. Grannies might have saved him but CH had a hand in it too. I don't think that epilogue of little CH with little ST was shown for nothing....Also as we all know k dramas are big on childhood connections. 

I knew that bad witch was doing something bad with all those bottles. I think I agree with @packmule3 she buys stuff with sad history and collects the soul/essence of the soul the owners transfer onto these objects. But for what? black magic? Messing up human's lives??? Or she just feeds off of the misery of others....We should have had a few minutes of background about her.

I'm off to watch the episode....will be back later for more thoughts.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

7 hours ago, gladys57 said:

Yeah! It's Wednesday! 

Just cant wait for our OTP's lovey dovey moments. Keep rewatching Hyun Woo's scenes from his Gentlemen of Wolgyesu Tailor Shop just to wait for today. He and his costar deservedly won the BEST COUPLE at the KBS Award.:heart:

Hope my prediction (1st time on soompi forum that CH's mum is actually the younger witch aka team Brad) is correct!:blush:

Luckily our drama wont be affected by the Asian Games as it is shown at 11 p.m Korean time.:D

OMG same!!, I keep rewatching AhChoo couple scenes on Wolgyesu Tailor's just because this drama has made me craving to see more of Hyun Woo's scenes idk why & rewatching it seriously is all worth it, I fell in love with them everytime, their build up moment is a pure beauty & I feel content :P

I don't want this drama to end just yet but I'm also curious to know what happens next/to see OTP scenes more. The dilemma :unsure:

• Like 4

The first thing I want to put out there is that the show still managed to insert a kiss in this episode despite him not remembering anything about their relationship. Woohoo show!

We did get some clarity on the backstory in this episode. So the driver was not the savior but rather the kidnapper and little Sung Tae tripped and impaled himself. The grandmas tried to save him by getting the knife from the black witch and used CH’s hair to bring him

back to life. Unfortunately what they didn’t know was that their actions only managed to put a seal on his death but with CH and him falling love, the seal started to break, hence his heart started to give him problems. (actually that wasn’t so clear... I know the series of events started at their first kiss when the bottle broke, but I thought his health is in danger only after they broke up so maybe her love was the thing that could hold them together). What was clear was that the black witch didn’t tell grandma everything when she gave her the knife. She was plotting for CH to follow the same fate as her Mum when the one she saved and loved died. Also, because of CH’s hair, ST supposedly had some witch’s blood in him and so he was able to break the spell on the door. And this also meant that the memory spell won’t work 100% and hence he still had some memories of the fateful night and the house. The good news is that their spell to make him forget CH will also not work 100%.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

So ST's doctor was right about his scar being abnormal unlike others. That means he got it during the witches' ritual to save him using CH's hair and thus indirectly got some supernatural power himself! :D

How interesting indeed! Therefore our OTP is indeed "fated"to be together!:heart:

• Like 7

First of all......This drama had the best angst:thumbsup:.....flirting and courting going on as usual even though they're no longer together. ...heck they even hugged and kissed....:wub:

The mother planned the kidnapping so that ST's father would favor him?.....was she a mistress or something?? What a messed up woman.....I'm glad ST told her he wanted nothing to do with her in future. 

The grannies were the best....badass till the end. I was annoyed at first when they kept CH from ST. But I understood their concern when they revealed the history of such relationships. They had seen witches getting destroyed from falling for humans...they'd never wish such heartbreak for their granddaughter. One thing bothered me though....did they not know what that bad witch did to their daughter or to so many others? If she didn't take away her soul/power CH's mom might be still alive.

Anyways this last episode felt a bit rushed. They spent a lot of time on the flashbacks..which I kind of understand coz ST was regaining his memories, then the bad witch took away more minutes. They could've spent a minute or two less on the hospital scene giving us more cuteness at the end. Atleast we should have gotten a scene of all the witches whose souls were rescued coming after the bad witch....she totally deserved a whopping from them. 

I feel they may have planned for more episodes but cut down to 12 for some reason. For example, some story threads were left hanging......like the story of that actress friend of ST was left unresolved. How was ST not affected by the dating rumors with her.

At first I thought it was to make CH jealous....but CH never found out about it. There seems to be no purpose for it.

Overall I really enjoyed this drama a lot.......after WWWSK I thought I was done with cheesy romcoms but this drama dragged me back to romance. Even though I said cheesy but Witch's Love never felt like that. It was truly refreshing for the most part. Maybe it's because I've never seen both leads in anything before so they felt fresh to me. But the writing didn't disappoint too. Though that last minute trope of ST dying and coming back could have been avoided. I didn't mind the death fate thing....even though it reminded me of last episode terminal illness trope. But its not such a big deal.

I think recently even the lesser known cable channels are coming out with better dramas than the big 3. 

I'm already loving the next drama's teaser....also Choi Jin Hyuk looks so fine. So I'll be watching that one too. I think I'll be sticking to romcoms for a bit more. I'm having a blast watching them....atleast the ones on cable channels are doing something different.

I really enjoyed posting with you guys....hope to see you again soon.

P.S..Sorry guys......I wanted to write about the episode but I ended up with a mini rant. I think its because the episode felt too short....needed more time to see the two lovebirds being happy together.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, dramaninja said:

This drama had some of the best kisses ever to be honest I am really surprise.

Agree, although I was hoping they'll added another one with that scene infront of the bathroom door too, Sung Tae is looking sexy after taking a bath with his hair wet & shirt unbuttoned, too bad the granny interupted them, lol, I am too greedy, right? :P

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

Hi chingus! Thanks for the short but fun ride with this drama :) 

Agree that this episode is a little rushed with all the answers coming out all within such as short time.  I cannot tell when was it that ST recalled his memories :(( It felt that sometimes he does but then he went back to his cold self which got me very confused. Anyone can enlighten me?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ohsh said:

Hi chingus! Thanks for the short but fun ride with this drama :) 

Agree that this episode is a little rushed with all the answers coming out all within such as short time.  I cannot tell when was it that ST recalled his memories :(( It felt that sometimes he does but then he went back to his cold self which got me very confused. Anyone can enlighten me?

I think he started remembering bit by bit from the next morning itself. That's why so many flashbacks....in this episode and the 11th. The potion did a halfass job. But maybe speeded up after the hit on the head...there was also a line he said to Sec Kim...that we can start all over again......something like that .....haven't watched subbed version yet.

So he may have remembered but acted like he didn't.

• Like 3