Quantcast
meechuttso

[Drama 2018] Thirty But Seventeen, 서른이지만열일곱입니다

35 minutes ago, dftio said:

But I think, like many of us here, I am prepared to overlook the finer details and enjoy the overall heartwarming message that was delivered, as well as revel in WJ-SR's sweet love story we got in the end

Oh I get that. I'm a romantic old man and love a good love story as the next person. My wife says she enjoyed the ending. Personally, I feel like I picked up a good novel, skipped over 4 or 5 chapters and put the book down never reading the chapters I skipped. Just my $02. I wanted the whole book not 80% of it.

• Like 5
  • LOL 1

1 hour ago, rolisrntex said:

If by director's cut they mean the story the director/writer wanted to tell but couldn't, I'm in. I felt like there were so many questions unanswered we should have gotten...

1. Why did they uncle lie about not being in Seoul that day? It is apparent he and the aunt loved each other very much until he died so why the lie?

2. Why was Jennifer estranged from her family?

3. After 3-4 episodes of the mystery lady in yellow shoes popping in and out of the episodes, we only saw her at the end of the last episode. How is she related to Jennifer? What was the significance of those scenes?

4. Why did the aunt suddenly leave? What happened that made her make such a drastic decision? She didn't spend the money she got for the house. What exactly happened to cause that chain of events other than the uncle dying? 

I could go on and on. I'm so disappointed in how this beautiful show ended.

I understand how you feel. It's like watching Harry Potter movies versus reading the books. So much details were left out due to time constraints. I don't know how much clarification we would get in the Director's Cut DVDs either. I'm of the opinion that it is the scripts that'd give us all the answers. Unfortunately, if they do print the scripts, it would only be in Korean *jeom jeom jeom*

You can express interest first and decide later when it's definite they will make it into DVDs. These DVDs are not cheap at all and take 0.5 to a year to be available for sale. Another point to consider is whether or not you will still be interested in the drama by then (esp. when during the course of a year, you may fall in love with other dramas).

• Like 5

1 hour ago, rolisrntex said:

If by director's cut they mean the story the director/writer wanted to tell but couldn't, I'm in. I felt like there were so many questions unanswered we should have gotten...

1. Why did they uncle lie about not being in Seoul that day? It is apparent he and the aunt loved each other very much until he died so why the lie?

2. Why was Jennifer estranged from her family?

3. After 3-4 episodes of the mystery lady in yellow shoes popping in and out of the episodes, we only saw her at the end of the last episode. How is she related to Jennifer? What was the significance of those scenes?

4. Why did the aunt suddenly leave? What happened that made her make such a drastic decision? She didn't spend the money she got for the house. What exactly happened to cause that chain of events other than the uncle dying? 

I could go on and on. I'm so disappointed in how this beautiful show ended.

I see where you coming from and agree some part is not answered. but for nr. 1. I don´t think that SR ever gonna get the answer... the person that could answer why he lied is gone, and to me it is like real life where we often those not get every answer about be past. I think that he aunt leaving have to do with her husbands dead and she herself was in mental pain so she could not take care of SR and also maybe forgetting to handle the money. Even Soo ri was wondering about this. 

regarding Jennifer. I guess she was estranged from her family because like woo jin she become closed off after losing her husband and child. the lady in yellow i think was her sister, she was at least in some way related to her as she was present at the fathers grave. 

I agree with you that it would be nice getting more details, as we we could see that the writer had more in her mind, but I think they at least manage to answer all the big stuff :) 

• Like 6

@thistle I have the same feeling!! I usually avoid to watch the drama for which I develop withdrawal syndrome, but this is not the situation here. I can even start watching something else now. But still, please scold me if I plan to watch any live broadcast drama on SBS because one trauma was enough and more than enough :tongue:

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, r047 said:

@thistle I have the same feeling!! I usually avoid to watch the drama for which I develop withdrawal syndrome, but this is not the situation here. I can even start watching something else now. But still, please scold me if I plan to watch any live broadcast drama on SBS because one trauma was enough and more than enough :tongue:

Following live broadcasts can be so painful, especially if something ends unexpectedly and traumatically (like Hwayugi--I'm still not over it and I refuse to watch the last two episodes; thank goodness for re-caps because at least I knew that I didn't want to see).

But watching stuff in real time can also be really fun--like the way we all cried here together during episode 14.  That was just the best!  And I guess that's the sort of rare experience that will keep bringing me back to live broadcasts.  Hopefully I'll see you here for some of those.  The great moments can be worth the pain and the trauma.

:wub:

• Like 7

@thistle Yup, can't agree more. The fun and the moments we'll remember always is worth it! I develop a special attachment with dramas that I watch live, it's a feeling that I'm part of the drama family and cast members. Will be around for sure, hope that we can all meet in another drama, soon. :love:

• Like 5

On 9/19/2018 at 1:42 PM, meechuttso said:

Let's prolong this,... this,... whatever this warm feeling it is inside of us by putting up clips of your favorite scenes (with subs preferred), ok ChingoosNo limits!

My favourite scene is the one you already posted... an upset and "crying" WJ runs to the bridge after reading SR's letter and the whole reading letter scene. It's so funny seeing him moan Seori ah when he plunged into despair onto his bed. That expression is classic when she teased him why he's crying when he's going to see her in two days time:joy: 

Another favourite is a quick one of them in matching aprons in the kitchen. So cute these two haha.

Edit: actually I felt there is quite a fair bit of flashbacks during the ending narration that could have been filled with a few new scenes e.g. the wedding photo shoot which was excluded or SR attending uni or violin etc. Well i don't know but it's just me wanting more of them instead of just flashbacks that we have already seen

• Like 5
  • LOL 1

8 hours ago, thistle said:

When a show that I really love ends, I am generally filled with a sense of loss and it may take days, weeks, or even longer to be satisfied by any other drama.  But my reaction to 3017 has been completely different:  I feel at peace.  And I feel ready to move on to watch other dramas with a full heart.  I have never felt that way with any show before, and that is amazing.

The characters, the pacing of the show, and the ending have all been ultimately satisfying and good.  I just feel glad to have walked through that "different door to happiness." 

@thistle This is my first-ever drama that I followed a live broadcast. I may have said this (way too many times) before, but I'm glad I didn't wait too long to watch it and I got to join this group and experience all the highs and lows from this drama. 

I wasn't sure whether I'd be able to move on, considering I was borderline obsessed with this drama from the get-go. I told myself that it'd take me a long time to "get over" such a beautiful drama; I mean, I still get :( when I realize that there'll be no more 3017 live broadcasts come this Monday. I started watching the series from the beginning last night as well, but then I found myself checking out other dramas that already started and ones that will start (even that dratted airport one that's meant to start on October 1st lol). 

Although I was disappointed at how they had to rush things and leave out/skip some stuff (gosh, I did NOT even notice that huge fluffy mic during the cemetery scene, until the thirtybutseventeen IG posted about it), but I found myself quite okay with how this drama panned out. :wub: SBS better do a special, though!

@bairama @dftio @meechuttso @r047 @m-sq @aisling Thank you for all your posts here. I enjoyed seeing and reading them. I'll try to read them more slowly next time when I have more time. 

@mademoisellesia Which website? The daum one? I must getting really thick nowadays as all I saw was Korean and just 'Google 'form' in English. :sweatingbullets:

@sunshine92 It's sad that there's not a lot of articles about this drama and how YSJ and SHS don't have photos together. :tears:

@m-sq Hahaha, I recognize the background music they used every time Jennifer strutted down the street and even when she prepared that huge meal for the rowing team ('Shape of My Heart' by Sting -it's one of my favorite songs).

I had a blast hanging out here and I'll still be stopping by A LOT. :D I really hope that I'll see you guys again on another thread. Any idea on what you're all going to watch next?

Right, duty calls (yes, even when it's nearly 11pm). Enjoy the rest of your day wherever you are. Ttyl :kiss_wink:

• Like 8

1 hour ago, anjuliet said:

@thistle This is my first-ever drama that I followed a live broadcast. I may have said this (way too many times) before, but I'm glad I didn't wait too long to watch it and I got to join this group and experience all the highs and lows from this drama..... 

I had a blast hanging out here and I'll still be stopping by A LOT. :D I really hope that I'll see you guys again on another thread. Any idea on what you're all going to watch next?.....

I've followed others live but I've never really participated in an ongoing discussion before.  3017 was the reason I finally joined up here, and it really has been so much fun.

Me, I've already begun watching four new dramas and have plans for another two or three.  But I really don't care about any of them very much, certainly nothing feels the way that 3017 did, and that's okay.  It's not often that a drama like 3017 comes along.  I don't mind watching some dramas that are just so-so because they can be entertaining in their own way.

Oddly, I've been watching another really stellar drama concurrent with 3017, and it also hit me hard.  The reason I say "oddly" is that the two dramas are as different as daylight is from darkness.  The other drama is Time--it has been a painful and devastating ride that I wouldn't have missed for anything.  The good thing about watching vastly divergent dramas is that they complement one another in a way, the same as sunshine and shadows do because we cannot know one without the other.  Contrast is valuable.  I'm gonna take away as many lessons from Time as I've done with 3017 (and, yes, I do actually have a notebook where I write quotes from dramas that I like so that I can look back later and be inspired again).

So I guess what I'm saying here is that we can't go forward wishing for the past (maybe kinda like what WJ and SR figured out); we have to find what makes us happy now.  And we are illuminated by both what we have and what we have lost.  No other show will be like 3017, so we can't go hunting for that; what we can do is remember what it taught us about enjoying the ride and about being real about what brings us joy.

• Like 7

17 hours ago, meechuttso said:

But we do have some of Ahn Hyo-Seob, our beloved Chan, who's worthy of translation.

Here we go.

'30 But 17' Ahn Hyo-Seob "Acting with SHS, immersed thru one-sided crush experience"

Thank you so much for translating Ahn Hyo-Seop's interview.  He seems like a lovely guy and talented, emerging actor.  Will definitely keep my eye out for his future work! :blush:

• Like 4

@meechuttso Sobs.. its too surreal, that its almost time to bid farewell. Hopefully they release some BTS or interviews next week during SBS's one night of entertainment and we can all spaz together again. Thank you so much for starting this brilliant thread!

On another note, I found WJ-SR's house in seoul, as well as our beloved overhead pass! Which I may just go visit next week when in Seoul :D I know I'm mad, but while that passion is still there, may as well revisit whats close to my heart now B)

Links if people are curious:

House-https://koreandramaland.com/listings/house-bundang-dong-seongnam

Overpass-

https://koreandramaland.com/listings/overpass-sapyeong-daero

• Like 6
  • LOL 1

1 hour ago, thistle said:

Oddly, I've been watching another really stellar drama concurrent with 3017, and it also hit me hard.  The reason I say "oddly" is that the two dramas are as different as daylight is from darkness.  The other drama is Time--it has been a painful and devastating ride that I wouldn't have missed for anything.  The good thing about watching vastly divergent dramas is that they complement one another in a way, the same as sunshine and shadows do because we cannot know one without the other.  Contrast is valuable.  I'm gonna take away as many lessons from Time as I've done with 3017 (and, yes, I do actually have a notebook where I write quotes from dramas that I like so that I can look back later and be inspired again).

@thistle I actually wanted to watch Time (before this one), and I still plan to - do a major binge watch now that it is also finished (I think). I have been following Seo Hyun's IG and saw all her updates regarding the drama. 

I love your idea of keeping a notebook of quotes from dramas. :thumbsup: I know I definitely loved the ones from 3017 and will write them down in my journal.

Thank you for your post. You have given me some serious food for thought. :heart:

• Like 3

@anjuliet  Hope you enjoy Time (yes, it did end today).  Be prepared, though, it's harsh.  Really harsh.  My heart broke for Kim Jung Hyun.

My notebook is old and really beaten up.  Besides quotes, I've also used it to keep track of all the dramas I've watched over the past decade (decade eek!).  Just this week, I'm moving to a new notebooks because the old one is all filled up.  I'm having notebook separation anxiety.  (Yes, I know that I could use MyDramaList, and I've actually been a member there from the time it started but I don't record my watches there; my notebook is more comfortable to me.)

The last quotes I wrote in my dear old notebook were from WJ.  I couldn't have imagined a better way to finish it up.

Thanks for your kind words.  :wub:

• Like 3

13 hours ago, thistle said:

When a show that I really love ends, I am generally filled with a sense of loss and it may take days, weeks, or even longer to be satisfied by any other drama.  But my reaction to 3017 has been completely different:  I feel at peace.  And I feel ready to move on to watch other dramas with a full heart.  I have never felt that way with any show before, and that is amazing.

The characters, the pacing of the show, and the ending have all been ultimately satisfying and good.  I just feel glad to have walked through that "different door to happiness." 

I feel the same way too about dramas, but from 3017, I am ready to move on to another drama but still checking out this drama bits and pieces that I might have missed before. Been watching the BTS, FMV on youtube... but one thing for sure, I am going to delay watching other works by YSJ-SHS for as long as possible so as not to confuse my Crescendo Couple image ;) Love them to pieces, esp. the soft-spoken, gentle, understanding Mr.Gong :wub:

• Like 7

@thistle I find it really interesting that we feel at peace and fulfilled! Definitely a first for me as well. 

@dftio Oo! I hope you get to visit the overpass bridge!! That would be so fun.

@anjuliet Ohhh, that's the song! Haha. I'm also thinking about what to watch next... have a few in mind, but not sure yet. Since 3017 is in my top 3 dramas of all time now, I plan to rewatch it from the beginning again too. But I think I want to wait a little longer, so I can let it fade a bit and fall in love with it all over again!!

@meechuttso Thank you for the AHS article!!! His instagram post was so cute but he deleted it? 

Enjoyed listening to this on my drive home from work today! My commute is about half an hour so it serves a perfect soundtrack :) During the fun ones, I can picture a bunch of silly scenes in my head like WJ with the tiny umbrella over his head hehe. My favorite soft song is "Tangerine Strings." Brings out so many warm and fluttery and tender feelings with the strings and piano melody! " Second fave is "Seventeen Strings"... it's like a drive to the beach, sketching the next stage design, practicing for your next rowing competition, coming home to your family. So lovely! And I keep hearing the bells in "From" and think of the keychain/bike bell sound that connected them :wub:

I started this show on the first day it aired and only regret that I didn't join you all here sooner!!! But I'll be here for a while yet now~

• Like 7

2 hours ago, dftio said:

@meechuttso Sobs.. its too surreal, that its almost time to bid farewell. Hopefully they release some BTS or interviews next week during SBS's one night of entertainment and we can all spaz together again. Thank you so much for starting this brilliant thread!

On another note, I found WJ-SR's house in seoul, as well as our beloved overhead pass! Which I may just go visit next week when in Seoul :D I know I'm mad, but while that passion is still there, may as well revisit whats close to my heart now B)

Links if people are curious:

House-https://koreandramaland.com/listings/house-bundang-dong-seongnam

Overpass-

https://koreandramaland.com/listings/overpass-sapyeong-daero

Thank you for the links.  I'll sure visit those places as well when I go to Seoul next month.  

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

7 hours ago, thistle said:

Me, I've already begun watching four new dramas and have plans for another two or three.  But I really don't care about any of them very much, certainly nothing feels the way that 3017 did, and that's okay.  It's not often that a drama like 3017 comes along.  I don't mind watching some dramas that are just so-so because they can be entertaining in their own way.

I was actually also watching other dramas concurrently with 3017 including Dear Judge, Familiar Wife, Ghost Detective and would probably watch the new dramas replacing them too... But these are just any other filler dramas and I watch them because it's my usual tv/drama watching time anyway. Like you, I don't care about any of them very much, would just watch it and yes that's all. Wouldn't bother to write/comment in their forums or watch their bts or search for their filming photos like what I did for 3017. Yes its that different and I think for a long time to come I won't be on any forum though I would still be watching many many kdramas along the way. It's really not that often to meet such an awesome drama like 3017 which can make me do all these things like an overzealous crazy fan hahahaha.

I probably need to stay away from any new future Shin Hyesun and Yang SeJong dramas for a while too, just like @ktcjdrama because my mind is still fresh of our crescendo couple. I would definitely watch Hye Sun next work with LJS when it comes out but probably would put it off a while till I'm ready. Crescendo couple is too strongly etched in my heart now for anything else. I hope it won't take too long though because SHS/SH couple took me forever like till now to get them off my mind :rolleyes:

Edit: Wow the bridge. @dftio that's not too mad because I would definitely go there too if I'm going to Seoul hehe.. :D

• Like 5

Until now.. I am still re-watching ep 14, 15, 16....

jeom jeom jeom....

I miss Mr. Gong so much... :bawling:

• Like 6