Quantcast
LyraYoo

[Drama 2018-2019] Memories of the Alhambra | Recuerdos de la Alhambra 알함브라 궁전의 추억

I don’t usually post on forums nor watch Kdramas. This is my first post on soompi and last kdrama I watched was goblin. I was attracted to MOTA on the premise it tells a fantasy, sci-fi, adventure story.  Of course there’s Hyun Bin whom I liked since SG. 

The series had ended. Almost everybody hated the ending cos it wasn’t happy ever after. I like that the writer didn’t write the story to make the viewers happy. She told a story the way she wanted.

I was never bored throughout the 14 hours (I have yet watch the last two but have gathered enough spoilers from this forum to be able to know what happened). The nail biting moments when you are watching it and many hours pondering and figuring out what could have happen  and how it can be resolved in between the episodes. The last movies that had made such an impact on me were inception and interstellar. I agreed that many questions were not answered but life is like that right? 

This show is not for you if you came to get away from daily life, to see fantasies fulfilled, to de stress and feel good. Kudos to writer, producer and director for going ahead to make this drama. The acting did not disappoint as well especially PSH and HB.

I am wondering if the reception would have been better if it was made a movie instead of a drama series.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, cornelliapark said:

We only know that he IS ALIVE bc of the instance dungeon. But why did he even hide for a year as well?

I suspect JW of living a romance with Emma, during this year, in the instance dungeon .... :wub:

• Like 3
  • LOL 11
  • Love 1

Wow I just realized soompi reactions got updated. Now we can use :kiss_wink: and :rage: 

I remember ever asked and talked what if soompi add some reactions. Wow. Thanks who ever made this happened. 

5 hours ago, Kasmic said:

I loved how he saved her when she slipped and touching her hands...:tounge_wink: Im not shipping lol! 

Look our OTP did meet., HJ came running into the church to see JW.  :joy: 

Awww.. look at their happy smiles... they really worked so hard. Kuddos to the cast and team. Ikr their chemistry is just so off the chart! So radiant like a rose red flower petal. I hope they can reunite in another good drama project. 

• Like 9
  • Love 7

10 hours ago, stroppyse said:

In this case, I really do think it's the writer. Her other works have had similar issues with the final episodes being big fails, though I know other productions have had similar lackluster endings. It's as if, all of a sudden, they lose creativity, though I think the bigger issue is that they get all excited about creating the story, but have no idea how to finish it off.

When go outside the box and get lost, go back in the box. Depleted creativity, use some story telling logic instead. 

It's like you have at least 5 unfinished side stories, you mix them up and hope nobody notice they are left unanswered: 

What happened in Alhambra: parties meet once (it's irrelevant that the seller's rep is an unreliable drug addict), potential buyer yell on the phone, potential seller rep found dead, developer missing 

sub side story - Developer missing/haunted by a zombie character - let them roam around 

sub side story - found the game is bugged (how, why, when, who caused it), never really solve debugging, show some cards, send the main character in the shadows

Office schemes to get the shares: barely mentioned no idea what to do with it, just leave it

Best friends fights/betrayals - mentioned, never use it to build something palpable

Quest story: you have a quest, you solve it, you get some material to work with, ah too late the series ended. 

Filler characters - Jin woo's second wife, Hee-ju's best friend no clear story line, do they serve any purpose, are they action vector in anyway. No idea. 

Oh well, you can distract me with good cinematography and action scenes, but it's not working all the time. 

• Like 9

DxZya6fUYAAvrH1.jpg&key=cd15bd9135d97be26597025c52c78455a98004898535014c840c17cc4ac27a49

The cast looks so happy together. Ahh, the pain! They didn't even bother to put a happy cast photo in the final ending credits; because maybe they weren't happy or it wouldn't have mattered anyway because backlash would still be there. 

Now that I have slept, I think I can finally give my verdict on what happened to JW. It's the way that I perceived the instance dungeon. And since the ending was left open, I think all of the subjective theories that have been proposed are correct in their own way. Since the writer didn't tell us, we can assume what we want to.

We can agree that instance dungeon is either of the two- SJ's version, a place beyond time and space, a third dimension which can only be created by the Master of the game. SJ used it to hide from both the real world and the game world, so he was in self-inflicted hiding.

Jin Woo's reason is slightly different to use the instance dungeon. He isn't hiding from the police nor from other NPC's. He is what I believe in self inflicted redemption.  The whole Jesus Christ and religious connotations that were referred to in the final episode were implying that he brought this suffering to himself. Although, I am particularly disappointed with the use of religion in this drama because religion is a sensitive topic and should have been handled with care. But anyways. Hence, where SJ chose to hide in the dungeon, JW chose to redeem himself and become the ultimate sacrifice.

Now the question that arises with this whole JW sacrifice theory is- JW is a risk taker, why would he give up on his life now, when he never did that before? A very pertinent question and I asked myself that too. But while looking back to the episodes, I believe JW had already accepted that he is a 'bug', rather a sore point and bone of contention in everyone's lives surrounding him; Cha, Daddy, Seo, HeJu, SuJin's suicide(although it shouldn't have affected him but since the radio news was specifically put in by the writer, it was there for a purpose). He chickened out first and didn't give up, but after the final confrontation with Daddy and his acceptance of avenging his son's death plus Professor dying eventually, made him completely devastated. So devastated that when he reached HJ's house, he couldn't even press the bell in the fear that if he did, she would also fall prey to his misfortune, his jinx. He loved her enough to let her go..(my heart..:tears:)

Therefore, unlike SJ, for whom the dungeon was a safe escape, JW's instance dungeon is a deliberately chosen escape. Now the question as to why was SJ's ID visible in player's ranking but JW's wasn't? Well, everything did get deleted including ID's and player records. Hence, JW is an ID-less, level 100 player.

So how can JW be released from the dungeon? Remember the whole Hand of Fatima and when the key reaches the hand, the palace would crumble story. Well, the dungeon is essentially that palace. And would only crumble if some other player of level 100 places the key in Emma's hand. That is was a stab in my heart! :(Also, I did not like the fact that it is a never ending cycle. What if the player who replaces JW doesn't want to end up in dungeon? There has to be a full stop to this Master's curse..

How is SJ's communication with other players different from JW's communication? Remember the primary reason for SeJu to hide was Marco who was a NPC. Whereas JW is not scared of NPCs, hence he can make himself visible to other players, help them out and possibly even talk to HJ. SJ did not have that liberty because Marco was after him, hence his communication was limited.

If Cha, Seo, Daddy and JW were all bugs, then SeJu and Marco were too. Yes, they were the initiators of this bug, but since SJ hid in dungeon before Marco could kill him and Marco the bug was related to SeJu and not JW, the church scene didn't show him. Plus, when JW had sacrificed himself instead of SJ as the bug, there was no need of SJ turning into dust. (I lost the count of bugs..:ph34r:)

Now, when I look back to JW's ordeal, I think he doesn't deserve to be in limbo. Everybody deserves a chance to be happy, to be loved and give love to others. JinWoo deserves every chance of coming back to real world. Even Jesus is believed to return to Earth. I am not a pessimist, hence I chose to believe the positive side of the ending; HJ will find JW and eventually a player will reach the Master level to free JW. Till then Emma and Zinu can live peacefully in the third dimension, or at least can stare each other.:)

2018_11_22_59121_1542859015._large.jpg

• Like 7
  • LOL 3
  • Insightful 3
  • Thanks 1

I just found the reaction for post is added more. What a right time to applicate for this drama thread lol.. I will backread what I left before I logged out right after the finale:ph34r:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, stargazer187 said:

Wow I just realized soompi reactions got updated. Now we can use :kiss_wink: and :rage: 

I remember ever asked and talked what if soompi add some reactions. Wow. Thanks who ever made this happened. 

I love these new reaction emojis too. Now Im wondering about this one - :rage: does it mean we are angry at the person who post it therefore we are offended or agree to be angry because they are angry too? How would you use it? Um mods please clarify... @stroppyse @bebebisous33 @LyraYoo I think I might steer clear of that one

@scarletashin heres the full Ost album based on the mnet link I posted earlier. It has more tracks and i just finished listening to it. Is it sad that I know (almost)every scene of those BGM hahaha! . though dont ask me the ep number nor the name of it :sweatingbullets:and why no JW and HJ narration ?:tears: I think those tracks are in the actual album that you buy at the apple store or at the yes24 link. That one was shorter with only 25 tracks. 

• Like 7
  • Insightful 1

I like the reaction buttons!! One more to add,  the off-topic one! It brings me back to the old version of soompi. 

@bairama lol, I would like to use this :rage: but I'm afraid it might offend people. Maybe we can rant in +/- about the ending later. Lololol

@Kasmic I think we can used that to feel angry of a certain post like ""what a tragic ending." how would you feel? I feel so mad. Lol. So I think I would use the angry button to express it. Like that maybe.

Is there any translation to the bts?? Poke @stroppyse

• Like 3
  • LOL 4

I 'loved' this series until about 12 episodes. I kept hoping the writer will give me some answers in the last quarter of the plot. In the end it just turned out into a drama I watched for the love of the main leads! 

I feel sorry for the entire cast of this drama! Especially Min Jung Hoon and Park Hoon.. what an under utilization of talent.

I would have preferred Se Ju to somehow troubleshoot the game and rescue YJW at the last moment. Now that would have made a thrilling climax instead of seeing what we saw this week. 

• Like 9

should not people start signing a petition just to make the two stars(psh and hyun bin) act in new drama again since i can't even dare to watch this drama again due to its ending and being so cruel not use their awesome chemistry

• Like 3
  • Love 1

20 hours ago, stroppyse said:

I think my issue with this drama is pretty much the same one with W, the logic fails become too big for me to ignore. She gives us an interesting world, and then she doesn't know how to resolve the world that she's created, especially when it comes to that fantasy/RL barrier that she likes to play with. So, there is no internal consistency. It's hard even to just relax, watch, and accept what we're told to be believe, because things that happen later in the story contradict things that she had told us in the story already with no rhyme nor reason.

Okay, I'm going to stop now because I could just continue to point out logic fail after logic fail, and it's going to get old. Needless to say, these fails prevented me from enjoying the last episode.

I´m on the same page. I enjoyed some parts very much, but i´m mostly dissappointed. So many things made no sense, so im pretty sure, i will never watch MoA for a second run again.

You can as writer change logic with fantasy elements, thats really fine for me, but the world needs for itself consistency.

Example...all bugs were already dead people! (Marcos, CHS, CBJ, SJH) JW was alive, there was no body of him in the real world, why would Emma stab him?!?

I have no problem that there was no real happy ending, although in most cases I prefer it. with the development of the last epsiods  I found a sad ending for JW more and more fitting. In addition to the missing logic,  MoA had a second major problem for me. Too many badly written and superfluous characters that you could hardly connect even after 16 episodes. I mean mainly Jung Hee-Joo and her environment, with the exception of her little sister, who was at least still charming. For example, the key scene, when the brother returned home barely after a year did not touch me at all! By contrast, I found the scene when JW deletes Bug-Secretary in the church really sad and moving.

The love story did not work for me at all.

- No chemistry (for me)

- Badly written main female character

- too little screentime together and things have developed too late and too forced

In addition to much for me to root for the main couple.  that´s really rare for me in k-dramas.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, vangsweetie637 said:

Even after waking up from a rest, I still cannot accept that kind of ending. Hence I’m skipping the final episode. I can’t accept it, not just because it’s heart breaking to see these two not even meet again, but the explanation for the game was not even truly cleared. I, as the viewer, am supposed to just accept that it was a bug this whole time. Then what about all the real deaths? I still don’t get it <_< im guessing his narration from beginning episodes must be his narration from the game itself. I’m disappointed in the ending and game concept itself. Maybe weeks from now or even a year from now, I can gather my courage to watch this tragic kind of ending. 

but one thing I will accept is that everyone worked hard on this drama. I don’t feel that HB and PSH wasted their talents here. They showcased their abilities very well and I love their expressions in the eyes of their sweetest moments. JW who fought all the way to level 100 and HJ who spent all the time she could with him. it was sweet in its own magical making. I hope they get casted together again as leads so I can watch their chemistry once more. I will be waiting to watch HB and/or PSH’s next drama project. 

@Kasmic my thought is since JW literally saved the game, answer for poll 2 is JW. But as I’m very disappointed and feel void of the answers we didn’t get but was made to supposingly get, I will just leave my zombie pic for a week more before changing it. Oh, how my heart aches when I think of that ending. It left a bigger void. I was hoping everything would unfold nicely but instead it just made me feel a bigger void. The beginning to the end..I still have questions unanswered :crazy:

well my MOA chingus, I will be cruising at other threads so won’t be coming here as often as I do now. Let us all meet again in another drama thread ;)

@Kasmic @ktcjdrama @moodypie @butterflysaga @stroppyse @packmule3

It was nice to meet all of you guys here again on a drama we watch together :D We had one hell of a roller coaster ride with this one.

To all my other chingus who I met here, let us all meet again on another thread where we can spazz, vent and spam together ;)

Adios, mis amigos! :heart:

hi @vangsweetie637   i believe i've met you in other thread before moa..but i cant seem to remember..sign of old age...forgive me.

which thread will you be hopping to? i am not sure what is the next drama that will make me go crazy and crave for more like moa.

despite the stupid ending, i did enjoyed the whole drama (except the ending), great to see HB in action. i dont think i will be watching the ending ep, i cannot find courage to see JW turn into "sugar". i am so hurt..betrayed by the writer. i was still hoping for good ending till yesterday before the start of the drama, but never thought she will choose to "pierce" all our heart. 

• Like 5

Last comment I think about the story technically

- lead female character: start strong, a fighter, then turn to support then to crybaby ash. Male-centric story indeed. But what I like here, lead male character makes viewers reset their mind about 'normal' male character in Kdrama which I think so far will 90% chooses love to his woman over anything. Jinwoo proves that a man has a shoulder that carry many things (responsibility, a lover, a friend, an ambition, a hero, etc) not just a lover. 

- what I'm sick about the story is, it is still a super fresh idea in overall but wow the hollows of the mysteries are just left there. Brutally. It becomes many non senses (the worst). The consistency of the story world. What about the other bugs? Marco? How Sejoo not a bug? Or it is just all around Zinu's bugs? Why should Jinwoo best friend too, is the bug simply because allied? Then Zinu (master) alive in the game? Till a new master appeared and completed the quest? Is Hejoo linked to Emma anyway so the game resetted? Will there be another bug and it crumbles one more time? Woah. I'm the dumb one to still hope for character justice anyway. Just God that can give justice, ok

-  truth is the magic that change the world not the technology. At the end that was written as goodbye sentence of this show. Ok I got it writer, so the main idea is the writer wants to viewers see the totally 'real' world, the cold and mean world where she wants to wake up people from the tech madness by fantasy and magic in MotA. Truth, betrayal, sacrifice, hope and believe. Once again I'm the dumb one to still hope for a normal story would fix it all and give the happiness to our heroine after feeling it strongly since ep. 8 I guess.. Hehe

<( '3')/|  | 

Hmmm..

^^

My feelings that bursting right now is..

After all this is a memorable journey to me that I'm one of still like to choose drama with theme like this, not a love-centric one. But I'm not going to say I love how the story going, it's kinda screwed and I would say totally I watched this to the finale and try to sweep all the story hollows because amazing act by our two leads Hyunbin and Park Shinhye. I thirst them. I did really enjoy this show. They killed it! The feelings, body languange are delivered really daebak. I will have eyes on them start from this project:love: Hyunbin ahjushi take meeeee to your instance dungeon:joy:

@stargazer187 yepppp let's use the red reaction in other side of thread huahuahuahua

• Like 7

Wow, what the... Yesterday I watched their last episodes' BTS on YouTube and there were two super cute scenes...

One with Shin Hye, Hyun Bin and the director... I think they were discussing how Hyun Bin should hold Shin Hye's hand to push it away (scene where Emma stabs him with the knife/key of heaven, and natural reaction would be to grab her hand to push it away from his chest)... the director seemed to be giving  instructions on the best way to push Shin Hye's hand , so Hyun Bin was holding her hand in his two hands and trying to follow the direction... But he didn't seem to get it right, so it just looked like he was caressing her hand lol 

She eventually laughed and pulled her hand away... 

I was trying to read the captions at the same time with my limited Korean and all I understood was "fingers" ... Something about Hyun Bin's fingers?? TvN deleted that original video tho and re-uploaded a new one!!! I wanted to watch it again this morning but that scene was gone. I checked the BTS on Naver and it's the newly cut video too. 

So sad.

They also cut out a scene with Park Shin Hye running into the room (to join the rest of the staff and actors in a group photo). They left a spot beside Hyun Bin and she ran up to it and sat down. 

Don't understand why they had to cut out that scene either?!

It's almost like they had this BTS video prepared ahead of the finale and posted it as usual. Then after they saw the backlash from the ending, they cut those scenes so as not to draw attention to... What? Of the reality that Hee-ju and Jin-woo never saw each other at the end? Were they worried the audience would be mad at seeing Hyun Bin hold Shin Hye's hand in the BTS when in the drama's last two episodes, he didn't even see Hee-ju once? 

Or the fact that Shin Hye ran into the room and found her spot beside Hyun Bin... Were they worried fans would remember that Hee-Ju ran to find Jin-woo but we didn't get to see them reunite?? 

Lol I mean I get it sort of but it's so petty. Couldn't they have just left those BTS scenes to comfort those of us who are heartbroken about the OTP? 

Did anyone else catch this? Does anyone have a link or gif or screen capture of the old video's scenes? I really wanted to watch it again... 

Btw...I am tempted to write a one shot fanfic of an alternate ending... The way they wrapped things up makes me feel like they stole something from me and I want to fix it. Lol We'll see though. I don't know if I can be creative enough to write a satisfying ending when the writer herself didn't write one lol

If I do write one, I'll post a link. 

• Like 7
  • LOL 3

@Kasmic im a bit silent reader here. But i just suddenly jump to the polling without knowing what the punishment is hahahaha. But here you go my zombie doll avatar in exchanged with my handsome Kang Ji Hwan for one week lol. I was pretty confident i thought the owner of the game should be able to fix the error haha....

• Like 2
  • LOL 5

34 minutes ago, wenchanteur said:

I may have missed something, but I have a question.
What happened to the Marco bug?

Forgotten. Like everything else.

• Like 3
  • LOL 3

If not for Hyun Bin and Shin Hye i would have dropped this drama long time ago. 

From episode 1 to the last the Game is annoying and not convincing.. and what happen to the mysterious guy that Jin woo used to call and ask info in the earlier episodes? The writer sure just erased  him. Again i find W's story more believable than this drama. Zoombies appearing in the game even witbout using the lenses, people hiding inside a game, Heeju running like mad for JW on the train even though they dont know each other well at that time, Marcos bug and that ending. I mean really? 

• Like 7
  • LOL 1

@grayscale I think you can get the old BTS from instagram. Just do a search on 알함브라궁전의추억. 

BTW, I'm just curious to know if anyone noticed the bizarre look on HB's face when SH was running towards the spot in the old BTS video...

• Like 5
  • Confused 2

@staygold Hi chingu, long time no see. Good to see you here. ;) and I totally agree with you. SeJu shouldve done more and I too expected him to help JW. If only SJJ added more screentime for him and I dont mean that for fan service purposes. Like I said in my rants, all these characters - SJ, Park, Cha, Prof Cha, Seo, HJ, Emma all became secondary characters to support JW. Pretty ironic that all their support only led to him hiding in a dungeon/ 3rd dimension like a form of punishment for being the bug and cause of all this mayhem...ekk! Im getting angry now....woah does that mean I'll get some angry reactions too?  I dunno to be concerned or laugh :sweat_smile: No angry clicks please just a like will be good :joy:

@stargazer187 didnt those off topic clicks cause some trouble? :mellow:

35 minutes ago, grayscale said:

Did anyone else catch this? Does anyone have a link or gif or screen capture of the old video's scenes? I really wanted to watch it again... 

They did delete the final bts...why  tvN??? :rage:

You can see the clips in IG. Try this acc

Spoiler

Spoiler

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2