Quantcast
Jillia

[Drama 2018] Gyeryong Fairy Tale / Mama Fairy and the Woodcutter, 계룡선녀전

The pilot episode recorded 5.62% national wide, peaked at 7%. And 6.2% average for Seoul metropolitan. Good start. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

To those who can't watch through Viki, VIU has it :D

DrRxgpOU4AAb34o.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Yes, I liked it very much.   I hv not read the webtoon.  But there seems to be so much confusion between the 2 ML's as to who is the husband???? I am watching Seo Ji Hoon for the first time and he is really very impressive.    MCW, i dont need to talk abt. her at all.  :thumbsup:.  Both YHM and SJH are daebak.    I like their bromance  

5.6% for the first episode is a good start.  The 1st episode was so much fun.  I dont know how it will turn out to be in the end.  A melo!!!! Coz now i have the SML syndrome.  He is so cute.  I am rooting for him with the FL.   Looking forward to the 2nd episode.

BTW, thanks @jeonghyang for the gifs recap.

tvN instagram update

• Like 10

1st episode was really good, fun and cute! :wub:

Everyone did really great, and I can't wait to see more...

Spoiler

I'm not a big fan of CG overall (hence i was worried since forever about it :lol:)

but I won't focus on that lol it's only 16 episodes, and this is not a high budget movie,

and I give it to them for recreating all the crazy stuffs into the drama. 

Can't wait for tomorrow!!!

U8pwKsy.jpg

• Like 9

Haven't watched the 1st ep in full. Wondering what is your take on the pilot ep? 

It seems like the reactions from k-netz aren't that favorable over a few things and it somehow a let down to read. 

Spoiler

• Like 7
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mulberry9 said:

Haven't watched the 1st ep in full. Wondering what is your take on the pilot ep? 

So far I like it.  Since they've already shown that it is a fantasy,  a certain magical aspect should be expected.  Love Jeom Soon (the cat/tiger girl), it does look real.  :)  The CG cat is ok.

The character changed between MCW and GDS as fairy Sun Ok-Nam was smooth and she had already revealed that she's a fairy :o  

It seems she knows who her husband is and the question is to help him recall his memory.  Will there be a twist later... hmmm just need to watch it till the end.  But can't help it's quite funny sometimes... and if I'm not mistaken they said it is "a healing drama" in their V-live yesterday.  So, i'll keep watching....

• Like 9

1 hour ago, mulberry9 said:

I was already expecting netizens not to love the drama completely, tbh...

The webtoon story is amazing, yet too difficult to adapt, too many special effects needed, too many characters for little time, and most importantly it's a well loved and recent webtoon, like...... I have seen too many netizens calling it a masterpiece. 

I think what made things even more awkward was all the (bad) cgs used, and looks like they didn't like Hyunmin's portrayal of Yihyun, who is a more calm type of character.

It seems like they went for a whole comical sitcom-y drama vibe, which is different from the webtoon.  

(But if you haven't read the webtoon, the first episode was pretty entertaining, in my opinion)

• Like 9

Thank you for your inputs @Yongzura and @hazelyeot

That's the problem with adaptations. Those who loved the original manga/novel etc rarely would loved the adaptations from their beloved original pieces since there are always comparisons and differences. I wonder whether the reactions are really that bad like what some people wrote about the comments on naver. Oh well, we shall see how tonight episode would be and also the ratings. For the cast and crew, I hope it could do well.

• Like 10

8 minutes ago, hazelyeot said:

I was already expecting netizens not to love the drama completely, tbh...

The webtoon story is amazing, yet too difficult to adapt, too many special effects needed, too many characters for little time, and most importantly it's a well loved and recent webtoon, like...... I have seen too many netizens calling it a masterpiece. 

I think what made things even more awkward was all the (bad) cgs used, and looks like they didn't like Hyunmin's portrayal of Yihyun, who is a more calm type of character.

It seems like they went for a whole comical sitcom-y drama vibe, which is different from the webtoon.  

I still have to watch the whole episode later, although I already saw clips on Instagram and I have to agree on YHM's portrayal. His acting was kind of too comical to the point that he is exaggerating his expressions instead of just letting the comedic vibe to naturally flow. My understanding of Yihyun in the webtoon appears to be easily-irritated, snob, and mean, but he is still calm and reserved.

SJH on the other hand I think is very loveable. His portrayal of Kim Geum is so adorable to watch. As a viewer, I already felt how kind-hearted his character is. I can see more viewers will be effortlessly rooting for him that Yihyun on this. Although I understand why people are noticing YHM more, because basically he is the male lead. I just hope those people who were upset of YHM's portrayal will stay a little more, because his character has a good backstory. And if they will follow THAT major twist in the webtoon, I think episode 1 is still on the right track :)

• Like 8

19 minutes ago, mulberry9 said:

Thank you for your inputs @Yongzura and @hazelyeot

That's the problem with adaptations. Those who loved the original manga/novel etc rarely would loved the adaptations from their beloved original pieces since there are always comparisons and differences. 

Ha ha... I can understand that.... I still can't get over CITT even after so many years (it was two years ago).  Well, for now I will keep an open mind and heart for this one.

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, Yongzura said:

Ha ha... I can understand that.... I still can't get over CITT even after so many years (it was two years ago).  Well, for now I will keep an open mind and heart for this one.

Yes. I think those who haven't read the original webtoons can enjoy watching the adaptations as there's nothing to compare from. Adaptations rarely do good. But from what I havr seen so far, I think this drama's pilot is quite enjoyable (as long as we don't expect it to be fully the same as the original webtoon).

To keep it positive, it seems like they are quite ok with the cast. So, hopefully they can give this drama a chance for tonight ep

Spoiler

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, hanamee said:

I still have to watch the whole episode later, although I already saw clips on Instagram and I have to agree on YHM's portrayal. His acting was kind of too comical to the point that he is exaggerating his expressions instead of just letting the comedic vibe to naturally flow. My understanding of Yihyun in the webtoon appears to be easily-irritated, snob, and mean, but he is still calm and reserved.

SJH on the other hand I think is very loveable. His portrayal of Kim Geum is so adorable to watch. As a viewer, I already felt how kind-hearted his character is. I can see more viewers will be effortlessly rooting for him that Yihyun on this. Although I understand why people are noticing YHM more, because basically he is the male lead. I just hope those people who were upset of YHM's portrayal will stay a little more, because his character has a good backstory. And if they will follow THAT major twist in the webtoon, I think episode 1 is still on the right track :)

hes the "male" lead but not really both of them are the male leads im still rooting for SJH already

lets see how ratings do for episode 2 and see if those comments mean alot. 

• Like 5

Exactly chingu @Wotad! I hope they give chance for the story to unfold in the next episodes.

I think knowing and not knowing the webtoon both has an advantage and disadvantage for this drama. Someone who knows the webtoon will understand Yihyun's character and might tolerate his portrayal, but will be very observant even on the little details for accuracy.

But for someone who doesn't know the webtoon, I can totally see them complaining on Yihyun's character right away like "what kind of male lead is this, how am I suppose to ship this with our fairy??", but they will appreciate the cinematography without thinking if it's accurate or not.

I think it's too early to judge the drama in their first episode alone. So I'm getting my hopes up that everything will be done and explained smoothly in the next episodes. :) 

• Like 9

I have no idea about the webtoon. The only story I know is about the actual legend/myth of the woodcutter and the fairy (tragic end if not romantic).

So I am relishing going into this story without knowing what will happen. But are we doing another drama husband hunt again.....

• Like 6

@hanamee, i think your comment is the reverse.  If you see the netizens comment

Acc to knetz /viewers, there are three minus point of the 1st eps of #TaleofGyeryongFairy
- Different from the original webtoon from character setting to lines
- CG effects (the most serious)
- Awkward smile of the actor (Yoon Hyun Min) in the comic scenes

they complaint about YHM, only who knows/read the webtoon well.  they are comparing to his character to the one from the webtoon.

But for me, i found no problems with his portrayal of his character as i did not read the webtoon.  In fact i was surprised when i saw all those netizens comments on YHM.  Hope there is no backlash in the ratings becoz of these comments and be more popular as its former drama.  Hwaiting!!!!  

Can somebody confirm if there is no DC Gallery for this drama?  I have been searching so bad, but cannot find it.

Also were there any ratings promise by the main cast yesterday on V-live?   if there was one, what was it?

Edit:  GDS nim was fantastic.  Thats why she is  a veteran, isnt it?  The transition between her scenes to MCW was also done nicely.  No hiccups, so far.
  • Like 8

9 minutes ago, pad-hari said:

@hanamee, i think your comment is the reverse.  If you see the netizens comment

Acc to knetz /viewers, there are three minus point of the 1st eps of #TaleofGyeryongFairy
- Different from the original webtoon from character setting to lines
- CG effects (the most serious)
- Awkward smile of the actor (Yoon Hyun Min) in the comic scenes

they complaint about YHM, only who knows/read the webtoon well.  they are comparing to his character to the one from the webtoon.

But for me, i found no problems with his portrayal of his character as i did not read the webtoon.  In fact i was surprised when i saw all those netizens comments on YHM.  Hope there is no backlash in the ratings becoz of these comments and be more popular as its former drama.  Hwaiting!!!!  

Can somebody confirm if there is no DC Gallery for this drama?  I have been searching so bad, but cannot find it.

Also were there any ratings promise by the main cast yesterday on V-live?   if there was one, what was it?

Edit:  GDS nim was fantastic.  Thats why she is  a veteran, isnt it?  The transition between her scenes to MCW was also done nicely.  No hiccups, so far.

Thanks for pointing that out chingu! What I meant is, the people who knows the webtoon might "tolerate" his portrayal even tho they have issues with it, because they know the story. But yes they are also complaining about the difference of his portrayal to the webtoon.

Good to know if you find him okay chingu, I'm worried to those who finds him annoying. Let's hope they will continue to watch the show because it's really interesting! ^_^

• Like 7