Sign in to follow this  
slapmyselfsilly84

[Movie 2001] Bungee Jumping Of Their Own 번지 점프를 하다

Lee Byung Hun, the late Lee Eun Joo
BUNGEE JUMPING OF THEIR OWN Film Info Year: 2001 Director: Kim Dae-seung Cast: Lee Byung-hun, Lee Eun-ju, Yea Hyun-soo Running time: 101 min Synopsis: In the summer of 1983, Tae-hee and In-woo meet and fall in love at first sight. Just as their relationship is blossoming, Tae-hee is tragically killed. Seventeen years later, In-woo has become a high school teacher and married another woman. Meeting his new pupils, In-woo is startled to feel an overwhelming attraction to one of them: Hyun-bin, a 17 year-old boy whose mannerisms begin to increasingly resemble those of Tae-hee's... Review: Featuring an inventive endless-love story that transgresses time and death in order to explore various individual resistances and social restrictions that affect gay relationships, this is either a successfully emotive queer movie with unusually straight overtones, or a somewhat fleeting and dissatisfying attempt to capture gestures and images of homosexual love, or both these coded types at once. Maybe I'm a sucker for surface narration in this particular film, because the moments near the end struck a literal chord as I embraced the idea that love can endure and rekindle in astonishing transformative ways. What this movie tries to tell us in an explicit fashion is that when you're in love it shouldn't matter what kinds of obstacles get in the way. It really savours and complicates this point by having In-woo's (JSA's Lee Byung-hun) dead female flame Tae-hee (Lee Eun-ju from Lover's Concerto) live again within the body of his new young male student, Hyun-bin (Yea Hyun-soo) -- thus resolving from the dominant obstacle a secondary theme in the form of a social issue. Where the system of identification may fall apart for gay audiences, though, is the emphasis (visualised and given voice at the climax) that In-woo's love exists for Tae-hee, but not strictly for Hyun-bin who himself becomes part of this narrative game of avoiding or ignoring obstacles. As I suggested above, however, multiple potential readings are on offer here. I'd like to think that anyone with a soft spot for the concept of undying love will find watching Bungee Jumping a fulfilling experience regardless of their sexual orientation. Like many contemporary South Korean films, it would be very easy to leap to the conclusion that Bungee Jumping is an allegory for reunification. Of course it is true that boundaries are successfully navigated and crossed in this film, but rather than suggest it engages with a concrete socio-political issue, why not admire instead the remarkably original and fascinating way it incorporates the notion of division with another very different issue currently receiving less cultural attention in Korea? Anyone seeking an extremely moronic version of the reunification metaphor in a Korean film should check out The Coast Guard. Kim Ki-duk's film unveils an astonishingly preposterous final shot almost, it seems, for the sake of making meaning out of nothing in particular. In contrast, Bungee Jumping provides us with an excellent example of how perceptive Korean filmmakers can choose not to say precisely the things that everyone expects them to say. Recommending films via a system of comparison is always tricky, but my personal range of thoughts and feelings about Bungee Jumping are similar to those I have for Blue Gate Crossing. While the Taiwanese film offers a more insightful depiction of how people handle intimate relationships and struggle with questions of sexual identity, both films reach poignant and nostalgic conclusions in a very natural manner. Although it operates with an outlandish mystical concept, it's easy to relate to the emotional subject material Bungee Jumping evokes and that to me signals a fine work. 8 transgressive love affairs out of 10 by James Brown Synopsis and film info courtesy of http://www.heroic-cinema.com
  • Like 1

i hate this film

why must a romantic story become a gay story

after watch it i give the dvd to my friend

And here's my own review of it... SPOILERS AHEAD!!!

REVIEW OF BUNGEE JUMPING OF THEIR OWN

Ok, to tie in with the premiere of the opera Madama Butterfly by Puccini here in Singapore, I cannot help but draw some sort of a parallel between the two stories. There are a lot of similar traits between the protagonists of both stories, namely Cio-cio san in Madama Butterfly and In-woo in Bungee.

First of all, they are both young, innocent and more importantly, it was their initial love experience in their lives. They were so much in love with their Significant Others up to the point that they were willing to sacrifice so much of their time and youth on trying to be a good lover and potential life partner. There are a lot of instances where both actually did everything they can to suit to their partner's ideals. In the case of the former, her innocence shows in the way she interacts with her lover with all the blushing on her face and the soft gentle gestures of her hands. She denounced her religion and she even had to nearly break off all her family ties in order for her to be with her American lover. In the case of In-woo, on the other hand, he came across as the boyish geeky undergrad who had fallen hard for a girl of his dreams. He was like the epitome of innocence. Remember the part where he fetched pails of sand for his girlfriend at the beach when she was building the sandcastles? The way he walks and behaved was like really like a simple high school boy with that bounce in his walk Anyway, in the name of love, he did a lot of things like picking up the habit of smoking and also running to her to give her a brolly during that rainy day where they eventually declared their undying love for each other.

Both protagonists also believed in the eternity of love, that there is such a thing as everlasting love and as long as there is love between them and their respective partners, nothing can separate them. However, such naivety turned out to be dead wrong when eventually, there was a period of separation. In the opera, Cio-cio san had to suffer a shock when her American lover had to return to America under the orders of his superiors whereas In-woo had to deal with a devastating piece of news when he had to endure the pain of losing his girlfriend when she died. Both then underwent a long period of longing and suffering in pain at the same time, although we never know who fared better in the longing part. In-woo seems to have fared better as he had a new girl (right? A little unsure about this part...) but his first love was forever gone for good. In Cio-cio's case, the pain was terrible because she had born her lover a son and this product of their union is always there as a reminder of the painful separation she had to go through and there was no way she could put the love, and the pain that comes with it, beyond her. The only respite she had was that her lover was still alive and that it was only that he wasn't by her side.

The last thing that ran similar in both stories is that it ends with the death of both protagonists but there was a slight difference in this. At least, In-woo knew that their love was still strong but only that it had transcended into a slightly different boundary. Their love had gone on to a completely new level and I guess he had a somewhat glorious, pure and beautiful death. In comparison, Cio-cio san had a more tragic ending. She had a brief moment of happiness when her lover returned only to find out that he had married someone else. The love was already lost on his part. So, she felt dishonoured and cheated and even more confused. All these coupled with the depression she suffered all this while waiting for him somewhat drove her over the edge and she committed suicide. Her death was lonely, heart wrenching and simply painful.

Both stories are beautiful and tragic at the same time and I personally think that everyone should watch them. They deal with the subject and issues pertaining to the beauty of first love and the strength of faith in one's love when going through the painful period of separation in which the time factor can vary in so many different ways.

As always, I think LBH did a great portrayal of In-woo from his initial innocence and naivety to his bliss and happiness to his pain and longing and lastly, to his death. I think I'd give it a personal 4 out of 5 (hehe… the death part deserves the cut of one star...)

OK, people... Post your thoughts!!!

oh the night .a few years back when i finish bungee jumping ..~~ i wrote this ~~ .....it shall always be one of my most favourite movie .because it tell a tale of such ...beautiful eternal love .~ i am not rational when i write about this movie so neither can i rate it because to me ..it is not really measurable by any rating at all ~ ~~ .........

06_wall01.gif

This time I will be born as a girl,

But what if I am born as a girl too

I guess I will wait again

If you jump from a cliff, you said your life will not end here.

We will meet again and fall in love.

It not because I love you, but because what I can do is love you.

I will love you forever

This are the last lines from Bungee Jumping of their own, when Hyun Bin and In-wu jumped from the cliff in New Zealand, perhaps the ending they choose is the only way for them in this society, I felt like we have a hand in pushing them over .

I always believe in there is a soul mate out there for everyone when they are born, it will just happen when you see the one meant for you. It is perhaps what people call love at first sight. Like what Jiwoo says when he start at his classes, it is destiny that we should be at the same place at the same time and meet, there is no explanation for the probability of us meeting except that it was just meant to be

The moment I start the movie, I felt absorbed into the magic wound by Bungee and after it ended it left an emptiness in my heart . The story started with Tae Hee and In Wu meeting under the rain and sharing the umbrella, it was love at first sight for both of them. It happen so naturally and so beautifully, love the awardness of In Wu when he try to be close to Tae Hee , the way she would pretend she did not remember him, their quarrel , their first night , everything was perfect till the day in Wu was going off for military and waiting at the train station, that Tae Hee just disappear.

17 years later, Ji woo now a teacher meet Hyun Bin his student whom he felt something familiar, the feelings he had for Jj Woo. I could sense his torment and confusion, his struggle to understand what is happening with him , his doubts about his sexuality, through the brilliant acting of Byun Hun. The way he had to restrain his desire to touch Hyun Bin, the urge was so strong that his hands tremble and he had to place his hand on Byun Hin shoulder as though it was just a normal teacher pat for his student.

His jealousy of seeing his handphone message, bewilderment he felt at his own actions when he delete the message, and calling Byun Hin to talk to him but ended up scolding him with jealousy when his student was busy talking to his girlfriend . He could not understand his emotions anymore nor have any control over it , he try to use his wife to re-enforce he is a real man . But all this was in vain as he realize that Hyun Bin is Tae Hee, from his ringtone where it is the music when Tae Hee and Ji Woo both dance to , his words are what Tae Hee used to says, Byun Hin drawing of Tae Hee ( from a lighter he could not resist buying as it is so familiar to him when he first saw it ) and seeing the lighter his lost love had given him.

I felt pain through my heart at the scene when Ji woo was staring at Byun Hin from the stairs recalling the conversation between Tae Hee and him , that he will look for her in their next life and he will love someone else but it will still be her , he will be able to recognize her as if it is not her , he could not love anymore. Ji Woo answer to his wife question if he is gay, he answer no, it is just that he could only love one person.

The most powerful scene was when Ji Woo alone with Byun Hin in the classroom ( after he disappear from school with rumors that the teacher like him ), I could feel the pain and the despair of Ji Woo when he shake Byun Hin and screamed at him "I know who you are , Tae Hee, why can’t you remember a liitle of me.” This was the time that Ji Woo finally break down and cry in Byun Hin arms .

I have seen other movies on gay issues, but seldom have I come across a movie that touches on this issue as beautiful and natural as Bungee, I don’t feel the award ness of seeing two man telling in love, In Bungee , everything was so natural and destined, from the moment that Byun Hin remembers his past and went to look for the Ji woo who is now divorced and jobless. We are taken down the same path that Tae Hee had gone when she was rushing to meet Ji Woo at the station ,and we realize that she never reach there as she meet with a fatal accident just before the station.

Byun Hin found Ji woo at the same place that he had been waiting seventeen years ago , the wait was now over, the reflection of them in the train windows show Tae Hee in her female form , they are just continuing where they had left off, just that Tae Hee is now in another body .

The scene ended with them going to New Zealand where Tae Hee used to wish she could try bungee jumping, the way when Byun Hin rest his head on Ji Woo shoulder on their train journey to the cliff ,I did not see two man together, I saw two persons in love .

When you says you love a person forever, does it include the after life, for Ji woo it does. When you love someone , does it matters the body he/she is in , for Ji woo it does not ,as he could only love one. This movie teaches me to look at love and homosexuality at a different angle, true love is really beyond the physical body and time, if it is meant to be it will happen.

I did not cry, I just feel a piercing pain in my hurt throughout the movie at this beautiful love story between two persons.

===============================================================

03_b.jpg

2004 Nov ...~~ i wrote something again . ~..........and never know .that lee eun joo...will disappear soon`..she will always be remember ....

問世間情為何物

直叫人生死相許。

何謂生

何謂死

何謂愛

何謂情

十七年前的相遇

是必然的偶然

她遇見了她的最愛

他遇見了他的唯一

他們找到彼此

十七年前的相愛

是緣份的註定

十七年前的絕別

是命運的玩弄

十七年後的重逢

恍如隔世

十七年後的她

已不是她。。

但是卻還是她。。。

解除了蹦級的繩索

如解脫掉世俗的枷鎖

掉入深淵

這不是結束

今生的死

是來世的生

心臁暗南嗬M

註定了。我只能愛她

我的臁盎?br /> 只認定她

我的心

只屬于他

不論今生或來世

不論生或死。。

這就是永恆

這就是屬于他們的

愛的蹦級

"I can't call it completely original, but it was intriguing to be sure."

- Equinox21

Bungee Jumping of Their Own (2001)

Director: Kim Dae-Seung

Writer: Go Eun-Nim

Cast: Lee Byeong-Heon, Lee Eun-Ju, Hong Su-Hyeon, Lee Beom-Su, Yeo Hyeon-Su, Kim Won, Namgung Min, Bang Jin-Yui, Kim Gap-Su, Oh Ji-Hye

Running Time: 101 min.

Plot: See review below.

Availability: This title is available at HKflix.com

Reviews

EQUINOX21'S REVIEW: Do you believe in love at first sight? How about destiny? What does it mean if you're destined to meet the love of your life and it turns out to be a member of the same gender, even though you're not gay? These are subjects that are at the heart of Bungee Jumping of Their Own.

On a rainy day in 1983, college student In Tae-hee (Lee Eun-ju) escapes the rain while waiting for a bus by running under an umbrella being held by fellow student Suh In-woo (Lee Byung-hun [J.S.A.]). For both of them it is love at first sight. Over the months, they become deeply enamored until the time comes for In-woo to serve his mandatory military service; he asks Tae-hee to come with him, she agrees and tells him to wait for her at the train station. She never shows up.

Now, in the year 2000, In-woo teaches language classes in high school. He begins noticing strange things about one of his 17 year-old students, Lim Hyun-bin (Yeo Hyun-soo). Everything that Hyun-bin does reminds In-woo of his first-love, Tae-hee. Despite the fact that Hyun-bin is male, In-woo finds himself falling for him, with terrible consequences to his career, marriage and reputation. But what is the link between Hyun-bin and Tae-hee, and what will it mean for In-woo's future?

Lee Byung-hun does a terrific job in his role as In-woo. His inner conflict and the questioning of his sexuality as he finds himself attracted to Hyun-bin really show through. Lee Eun-ju does a very good job as well, in the limited role she has. I can easily understand why he would have fallen in love with her at first sight, because she is stunningly beautiful. While the story was interesting, it felt to me a little too much like the movie Il Mare, to the point of my being able to predict some key moments in the film. I wouldn't say it wasn't good because of it, but it did take away from the originality that was established. Though the film was darker as a whole, it still ends on a positive note.

If you're a fan of Il Mare, then check out Bungee Jumping. If you like unique melodrama or movies that address controversial issues (by Korean standards, obviously) then this is an interesting one to see. I can't call it completely original, but it was intriguing to be sure.

EQUINOX21'S RATING: 7.5/10

Credit to

cityonfire.com

http://www.cityonfire.com/korean/bungeeown.html

This was the first korean movie I watched and I would have to say that it was very well made. The acting was good and even the storyline itself. I actually thought the ending was fitting for their characters because they did not want to be together again as man and woman respectively.

I think the reincarnation of In Tae Hee as Im Hyeon Bin was something that made the movie very interesting and how Suh In Woo would love only Tae Hee despite the fact that Tae Hee had reincarnated as Hyeon Bin.

Bungee Jumping of Their Own Gif

1138240651_byunghun_220160.gif

Credit: www.honeyhunny.com, thanks to 소화데레사 & Alicia

P0000026_114438_sta28[W600-].jpg

i thought this movie wassss soooo retarded and freaky!!!!!!! i did not like it at all!!!!!

Me too, I didn't like it too...I thought this movie was really good after I saw many reviews on it, but I didn't like it at all after I watched it.....hmmmmm I think the storyline was bad though it was sad

ONE LOVE, NEVER DIES

leeej.gif

Lee Eun-ju

leeej4.jpg

Complete Filmography:

The Scarlet Letter (2004)

Au Revoir, UFO (2004)

Taegukgi (2004)

The Garden of Heaven (2003)

Unborn But Forgotten (2002)

Lovers Concerto (2002)

Virgin Stripped Bare by Bachelors (2000)

Rainbow Trout (1999)

Lee Eun-ju (b. Dec. 22, 1980) studied piano for much of her youth, without giving much thought to becoming an actress. After finding work as a model, however, she began to be offered roles in various TV dramas, including Start and KAIST. Her film debut came in 1999, when she played the younger sister in Park Chong-wan's award-winning feature Rainbow Trout. Her first lead role came as the title character in acclaimed director Hong Sang-soo's Virgin Stripped Bare by her Bachelors (2000), where she gave one of the most memorable performances in all of Hong's films. Following this, she teamed with actor Lee Byung-heon (JSA) in the 2001 hit film Bungee Jumping of Their Own, and also scored a hit opposite Cha Tae-hyun in the melodrama Lovers' Concerto.

Lee's later career was marked by several turns in films that failed at the box-office, plus a key role in the record-breaking Korean War film Taegukgi. In late 2004 she starred in her last feature, Daniel H. Byun's The Scarlet Letter which screened as the Closing Film at the 2004 Pusan International Film Festival.

Tragically, Lee committed suicide on February 22, 2005 after suffering from depression for over a year. The news of her death prompted a massive outpouring of grief from fellow actors and filmmakers. Lee will be remembered for her talent, intelligence and passion that made her stand out among the actresses of her generation.

Interview Excerpts:

"I'm called a new generation star, but I don't want to be the kind of person who achieves instant fame and then is quickly forgotten. I want to learn step-by-step how to become a good actress, and gradually work my way up. A star achieves brilliance, but is soon forgotten; to become an actress takes more time." [Kino, #60, February 2000]

leebh.gif

Lee Byung-heon

leebh2.jpg

Complete filmography:

A Bittersweet Life (2005)

Everybody Has Secrets (2004)

Addicted (2002)

My Beautiful Girl, Mari (2002, voice)

Joint Security Area (2000)

Harmonium in My Memory (1999)

Elegy of the Earth (1997)

Kill the Love (1996)

Armageddon (1996) (voice)

Runaway (1995)

Who Drives Me Mad? (1995)

Lee Byung-heon (b. July 12, 1970) majored in French at Hanyang University before making his television debut on KBS in 1991. A fixture in TV dramas throughout the decade, Lee has continued to work in television even after becoming a major film star. His movie debut came in 1995 as the lead in Who Drives Me Mad?, and he worked off and on in the film industry up until his breakthrough film in 2000, Joint Security Area.

For a long time thought of as just another pretty face, Lee eventually earned great praise for his acting, both for his turn in JSA and especially in Bungee Jumping of Their Own. He also starred in the popular television drama Beautiful Days, which screened in spring 2002 on SBS and would later be exported across Asia.

In 2002, Lee starred with actress Lee Mi-yeon in Addicted, a melodrama about two brothers who fall into a coma on the same day. The following spring he also took the lead role in the highly popular TV drama All In, about a successful gambler.

In 2004, Lee appeared opposite actresses Choi Ji-woo, Choo Sang-mi and Kim Hyo-jin in Everybody Has Secrets, a remake of the Irish comedy About Adam. Also that year, several of Lee's TV dramas began to screen in Japan, and his popularity there started to soar. He eventually became even more popular in Japan than he is in Korea.

Then in 2005, Lee appeared in Kim Jee-woon's highly anticipated action-noir A Bittersweet Life. Although the film ended up performing below expectations in both Korea and Japan, it was selected to screen in the Official Selection (out of competition) at the 2005 Cannes Film Festival, giving Lee the opportunity to "walk the red carpet" for his biggest moment of fame.

Deep gratitude to koreanfilm.org for the information & captures.

I don't think he actually falls for the guy but its because that guy is the reincarnation of his lost love. Its just one of those aspects of love that is very difficult to explain.

Bungee Jumping Of Their Own 번지 점프를 하다 2001

Love that Never Dies

Bungee_91.jpg

Love that Never Dies - Beonji jeompreul hada, 2001

Director: Kim Dae Seung

Starring: Lee Byung Hun (as In Woo), Lee Eun Ju (as Tae Hee), Yeo Hyun Soo, Hong Soo Hyun, Lee Beom Soo

Screenplay: Ko Eun Nim

Production Company: Noon Entertainment

Release Day: February 2, 2001

Genre: Drama

Info: kmdb.or.kr

Bungee_7.jpg

The summer of 1983. Seo In-woo, majoring in Korean language & literature, has not believed in love and fate, but he falls in love with In Tae-hee majoring in sculpture at first sight. However farewell comes unexpectedly just as his love came before. In-woo is waiting for Tae-hee at the platform where he is supposed to leave for his military service. But Tae-hee doesn't arrive up until the very last. 17 years later. In-woo has forgotten Tae-hee and married another woman. Now he has become a high school teacher. However love hits him again, and the object of his love is his 17 year-old male pupil, named Lim Hyun-bin. He can't accept his emotion at first, but he feels the In Tae-hee of 17 years ago from Hyun-bin's every action. Her unique curiosity, peculiar habits and especially the lighter of 17 years ago which Tae-hee made! Tae-hee had been in a car accident on her way to the platform where In-woo waited for her and left for his military service 17 years ago. She died. She was born again as Hyun-bin, In-woo's male pupil. Now,they drown themselves off a beautiful cliff in New Zealand with the unwavering faith of meeting in the next life. They look like a couple of birds flying high...

photo_poster_21467_128475_L.jpg

Director Kim Dae-seung's debut feature, "Bungee Jumping of Their Own" , screenplay by Ko Eun-nim, is not just another teen romance story - it's THE love story defined. If you think "Romeo and Juliet" is the all-time greatest of love stories, wait till you finished watching this film. True love knows no bounds, irrespective of what others may perceive or say.

Synopsis: In-woo and Tae-hee are two college freshmen who didn't believe in love at first sight, but later find themselves wrapped in a deep relationship that would last forever. One day they vow to make their love eternal by sealing it with a bungee jump. But their promise is never fulfilled when Tae-hee suddenly disappears out of In-woo's life for what seems like eternity. Seventeen years later, In-woo is still unable to get Tae-hee out of his mind even though he's married and has a loving family. While giving a lecture to his students, In-woo is reminded of the memorable times he spent with Tae-hee when one of the students asks about his first love experience. From this point on, In-woo thinks nothing of it until the student rehashes habits and sayings that are so reminiscent of Tae-hee. Clinging onto his hope that he will meet Tae-hee once more, a strange mystery unfolds as In-woo tries to discover who this student really is.

Bungee_92.jpgBungee_93.jpg

Review: For viewing appreciation, it's best not to read/know much about the film and simply let the story develop and unfold before your eyes. Have patience with the pair of young love getting upset and making up, apart and together. Those rainy scenes of walking, drenching, standing, with or without umbrella, are heartbreaking, cold and warm all at once. In-woo (the young man who became the teacher years later) and Tae-hee (the young lady he helplessly loves) are clearly inseparable lovebirds. Director Kim presented the situations in the most natural way. Little details are revealed as the story progresses, and as we see In-woo teaching a class of high school boys, cut to at home he's talking to a little girl - so he's married with a daughter. Is it Tae-hee? Gradually, more periodic flashes of memory occur, and little observations like student Hyun-bin's drinking with little finger up, or asking a familiar question deja vu.

The acting is sensitive and convincing; the cinematography is skilful and impressive (the beginning aerial sequence gives one a breezy feel); and the music has a calmness to it; also editing and sound (like the brief playing of "When I fall in love" just loud enough crooning in the background) - all fittingly complemented the script. It is refreshing to believe what happened or could happen to the central characters (three, essentially two) in "Bungee Jumping of Their Own."

Filmmaker Kim Dae Sung, who would go on to helm 2005's Blood Rain, makes his feature length directorial debut with an unconventional love story that boasts an even more unconventional title, Bungee Jumping Of Their Own! The film begins in 1983, when university student Seo In Woo (Lee Byung Hun, from A Bittersweet Life and Everybody Has Secrets) falls in love with In Tae Hee (the late Lee Eun Joo, from Taegukgi and Lover's Concerto) a young woman with whom he shares his umbrella during a rainstorm. Their blossoming relationship is shown incrementally, in ways that accentuate the comedy of their situation, while at the same time conveying a sense that the two share a deep bond, one that will later prove pivotal to the story's outcome.

Bungee_47.jpg

After learning that In Woo must leave for his compulsory two year service in the military, the film flashes forward seventeen years to find that the young man has now matured into a confident high school teacher. But as the film slowly reveals, he is married not to Tae Hee, but to another woman. It seems Tae Hee died some seventeen years ago, and through a series of clues, In Woo begins to suspect that a teenage boy named Lim Hyeon Bin (Yeo Hyun Soo, from Holiday and Birth of a Man) is the reincarnation of the girl he loved all those many years ago. Despite being a heterosexual, In Woo begins to fall in love with the student, discovering that true love really has no boundaries. A romantic melodrama at its finest, this brave, deceptively transgressive film handles its tricky subject matter with sparkling grace, culminating in a dark finale that is both tragic and transcendent.

Related Links imdb l koreanfilm.org l asianmediawiki l hancinema.net l visitkorea.or.kr l wikipedia l heroic-cinema l amazon.com l yesasia.com

Despite being shackled with perhaps the dumbest English title in history of Korean film, Bungee Jumping of Their Own has drawn interest both in Korea and abroad for its unusual story and the fine performances of its actors. Its strength at the domestic box-office came as somewhat of a surprise, particularly given that it flirts with the issue of homosexual relationships and the hostile reception they usually receive in Korea.

The film opens in 1983, when university student In-woo becomes infatuated with a woman who shares his umbrella in a rainstorm. Their developing relationship is presented in fragments that highlight the awkwardness and humor of their situation, and yet the underlying seriousness of their feelings end up forming the crux of the story. After learning that In-woo must leave for his obligatory two-year service in the military, we jump 17 years into the future to find him as a high school teacher, married to another woman. His earlier insecurities appear to have vanished, and he commands the respect of his students for his passion and his willingness to stand up for their rights...

This is the debut film by director Kim Dae-seung, who worked for many years with Im Kwon-taek as an assistant director for such films as Sopyonje, The Taebaek Mountains, Festival, Downfallen, and Chunhyang. Although Bungee Jumping of Their Own does not feel in any way like an Im Kwon-taek film, the time Kim spent as an assistant director appears to have paid off, and he is surely a director to keep an eye on. Each of the film's three major segments contain vivid scenes, presented in a manner that strips them of their sentimentality. The film's opening is striking in its visuals, humor and sadness, while the scenes shot in the present contain an unusual energy. Later in the film the mood turns much more serious and issue-oriented, in an unusual plot twist that I omitted on purpose from the above synopsis.

One effect of these various moods is that it showcases the acting of Lee Byung-heon, who since his role in Joint Security Area has earned great respect for his talent (as opposed to his looks, which have always attracted notice). In Bungee Jumping of Their Own he excels, drawing laughs, respect and fear from his viewers in turn. Actress Lee Eun-ju is also outstanding in her smaller role, with her words and manner establishing the young couple's relationship as the key event of their lives.

The ultimate question for this work is whether it all holds together, as it unites a myriad of clashing moods and themes. At times it feels uneven, like it tried to cover too much ground, but the originality of this film will ensure that viewers do not soon forget it.(Darcy Paquet)

Bungee Jumping of Their Own

This critically-acclaimed supernatural love story from Korea beings with In-woo (Byung-hun Lee) and Tae-Hee [Eun-ju Lee), a pair of college students, meeting and falling in love in 1983. After following the development of their relationship, the plot jumps ahead seven years In-woo is now a high school teacher, married to a different woman, and still displaying the emotional scars of whatever happened between him and his former lover. The remainder of the film fills in the blanks in his life, and resolves his heartbreak in a truly surprising way. ~ Tom Vick, All Movie Guide MTV.com

bungee1.jpgbungee2.jpgbungee3.jpg

Bungee_94.jpg

bh_bungee1b.jpg

This time I will be born as a girl,

But what if I am born as a girl too

I guess I will wait again

If you jump from a cliff, you said your life will not end here.

We will meet again and fall in love.

It not because I love you, but because what I can do is love you.

I will love you forever

'Bungee Jumping of Their Own' trailer

<object ><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RNIdxRfhPM?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

'Bungee Jumping of Their Own' MV

<object ><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF_aHTG8860?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

<object ><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhTjevOd5a8?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Bungee Jumping Of Their Own Waltz Scene

<object ><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKNRjWCZdcg?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Poster Photoshoot with LBH and LEJ in New Zealand

<object ><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c6oz7EJuHY?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

_r1_c1.gif

Bungee Jumping of Their Own

bungee_jumping.jpg

Film Info

Year: 2001

Director: Kim Dae-seung

Cast: Lee Byung-hun, Lee Eun-ju, Yea Hyun-soo

Running time: 101 min

Language: Korean with English subtitles

Distributed in Australia by: not currently available

Synopsis:

In the summer of 1983, Tae-hee and In-woo meet and fall in love at first sight. Just as their relationship is blossoming, Tae-hee is tragically killed. Seventeen years later, In-woo has become a high school teacher and married another woman. Meeting his new pupils, In-woo is startled to feel an overwhelming attraction to one of them: Hyun-bin, a 17 year-old boy whose mannerisms begin to increasingly resemble those of Tae-hee's...

Review:

Featuring an inventive endless-love story that transgresses time and death in order to explore various individual resistances and social restrictions that affect gay relationships, this is either a successfully emotive queer movie with unusually straight overtones, or a somewhat fleeting and dissatisfying attempt to capture gestures and images of homosexual love, or both these coded types at once.

Maybe I'm a sucker for surface narration in this particular film, because the moments near the end struck a literal chord as I embraced the idea that love can endure and rekindle in astonishing transformative ways. What this movie tries to tell us in an explicit fashion is that when you're in love it shouldn't matter what kinds of obstacles get in the way. It really savours and complicates this point by having In-woo's (JSA's Lee Byung-hun) dead female flame Tae-hee (Lee Eun-ju from Lover's Concerto) live again within the body of his new young male student, Hyun-bin (Yea Hyun-soo) -- thus resolving from the dominant obstacle a secondary theme in the form of a social issue. Where the system of identification may fall apart for gay audiences, though, is the emphasis (visualised and given voice at the climax) that In-woo's love exists for Tae-hee, but not strictly for Hyun-bin who himself becomes part of this narrative game of avoiding or ignoring obstacles. As I suggested above, however, multiple potential readings are on offer here. I’d like to think that anyone with a soft spot for the concept of undying love will find watching Bungee Jumping a fulfilling experience regardless of their sexual orientation.

Like many contemporary South Korean films, it would be very easy to leap to the conclusion that Bungee Jumping is an allegory for reunification. Of course it is true that boundaries are successfully navigated and crossed in this film, but rather than suggest it engages with a concrete socio-political issue, why not admire instead the remarkably original and fascinating way it incorporates the notion of division with another very different issue currently receiving less cultural attention in Korea? Anyone seeking an extremely moronic version of the reunification metaphor in a Korean film should check out The Coast Guard. Kim Ki-duk's film unveils an astonishingly preposterous final shot almost, it seems, for the sake of making meaning out of nothing in particular. In contrast, Bungee Jumping provides us with an excellent example of how perceptive Korean filmmakers can choose not to say precisely the things that everyone expects them to say.

Recommending films via a system of comparison is always tricky, but my personal range of thoughts and feelings about Bungee Jumping are similar to those I have for Blue Gate Crossing. While the Taiwanese film offers a more insightful depiction of how people handle intimate relationships and struggle with questions of sexual identity, both films reach poignant and nostalgic conclusions in a very natural manner. Although it operates with an outlandish mystical concept, it's easy to relate to the emotional subject material Bungee Jumping evokes and that to me signals a fine work.

8 transgressive love affairs out of 10

by James Brown

Credit: http://www.heroic-cinema.com/reviews/bungee

source : http://chinese.yna.co.kr/services/CB/Artic...173239J1&Cid=04

Thanks to yc at bhjwlove.com for posting the news

李恩珠生前經紀公司策划追思演出

韓聯社首爾2月14日電 電影演員李恩珠生前隸屬Namu Actors經紀公司,該公司為她策划紀念活動,計划在她去世一周年的本月22日舉辦追思演出。

名為《陪李恩珠同行》的演出將于22日晚8時在首爾蚕室樂天大酒店舉行。

据悉,隸屬該公司的金章勛和Sea等歌手,文根英、金智秀、金敏貞、金柱赫等電影演員,韓石圭、李秉憲、鄭俊浩、文成根等李恩珠的生前好友,薛景求、張東建等她曾經的搭檔,其遺作——《紅字》和《愛的蹦极》的導演邊赫和金大胜等將出席活動。

20060214173239J1_1.jpg

20060214192352.jpg

Brief translation by Hyc

The late Lee En-ju‘s belonging company plans a memorial performance for her anniversary

Han Union Seoul February 14

Namu Actor agency company, the late actress Lee En-ju’s belonging company before her death, has planned a memorial ceremony for on the 22nd, to commemorate the first anniversary of her demise.

A performance named "Accompanies Lee En-ju" will be held on the 22nd evening 8 o'clock at the Seoul Lotte Hotel.

It is reported that actors from the same company, friends and partners (sorry, not sure of all the names) in movies including Lee Byung Hun, directors of her movies “Scarlet Letter” and “Bungee Jumping Of Their Own” (Kim Dae-seung) will attend the ceremony.(End)

bungeetitle.jpg

Bungee Jumping Of Their Own

(aka 'Beonjijeonpeureul hada')

directed by Dai-Seung Kim

South Korea 2001

"The story begins on a rainy afternoon with So In-wu (Lee Byeong-Heon, JSA:Joint Security Area) meeting In Tae-hae (Lee Eun-Ju) by chance and offering her shelter under his umbrella while they wait for her bus.

A romance with a twist ending. The film reminds me of Ditto in that it will please the teen market ... more so than films from the likes of Hur Jin Ho (Christmas in August and One Fine Spring Day). This doesn't mean there is nothing for the mature viewer though ... far from it ...

The romance between the leads work and I enjoyed the character introductions during the 1st 30 mins of the movie but interest in the film dips during the middle section where the director (Kim Dae-Seung his feature debut) tries to introduce the 3rd character in the movie ... however the final moments of the film is some of the most daring I've seen for a romance and is worth sitting through the middle section just to see.

Its another excellent Korean romance!."

Kin Ho

Source: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReview/bungee.htm