Quantcast
Lmangla

drama tropes we love and hate!

4 hours ago, Night Star said:

SOJU, must be the cheapest booze on earth, or everyone gets paid like a king

Soju in South Korea is pretty cheap, and is a category of alcohol which has a wide range of prices from very, very cheap to every expensive for artisanal type soju. It's analogous to vodka in Russia. A few years back, I took a train ride through Siberia. A plastic 2 liter bottle of vodka was the cheapest drink sold at a kiosk at the station. That was significantly cheaper than a 500 ml of bottled water or a can of juice  I had to buy the vodka since it was such a novelty, of course, and it did not taste particularly good, but my carriage mates and I were able to bond over drinking it. :)

1 hour ago, aisling said:

#74 Cooking Ramen

LOL.Older dramas seem to have more jjajjangmyun. But more recent dramas all have ramen, though the even more recent ones seem to be about the instant ramen rather than the cooking ramen. Anyway, I get hungry for them every time I watch a kdrama. But, they're soooo bad for you!

@stargazer187, nope not a doctor, though I was an EMT for awhile. I do have some doctor friends who watch kdramas, though, and they either just laugh at medical things in dramas or they just avoid all medical dramas because it makes them wince. Think the medicine in medical dramas is getting better, however. Both Doctors and Romantic Teach Doctor Kim got relatively good marks for their depiction of medicine. However, that's why we need @bedifferent to jump on and give us her thoughts as a doctor and a fan of kdramas. :)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

@stroppyse Talking about ramen , there’s also a double meaning to it - It’s like when a girl ask a guy over for ramen,  it’s asking him over for a *cough* nightcap isn’t it ? 

And talking about violent bosses , this can also be extended to violent fathers ( gif cto) , especially whenever chaebol fathers need to teach their good for nothing sons a lesson. Not exactly a trope I like 

Spoiler

ti58euK8s-Akb1vQ2qEKXJ7_YOKwAIrYZLO2nBgw

@adriana902 One of the most hilarious accidental kiss for me is from drinking solo ( gif cto)

tumblr_of0z612bLp1r5c02zo1_400.gif

—————

#75 Another favourite of mine is when Male lead decides to buck up or do something important, & the prelude would always be a coat / jacket wearing scene . 

#76 I like how k dramas like to show a male lead’s romantic / thoughtful side by tying female lead’s shoe laces , she has hands no ? Kkkkkkk..

(Gif cto) 

tumblr_o239o3BD4b1u2r065o1_540.gif

@Lmangla 

Spoiler

Can ask @angelangie To help you pin the post you want. I tried to help you but I think I mAy end up pinning  the entire topic :lol:

Edited by triplem
  • Like 2
  • LOL 6

77) "It's not true love until we are separated by several years and come back to each other" trope that usually is second to last episode.

78)  I'm so bummed out that I/we need to go sing Karaoke

79)  The evil mother-in-law trope

80) The overworked "candy" character always gets a nosebleed

81)  Female lead gets smashed, falling down, passed out drunk and throws up trope and male lead takes her home...piggy back or taxi

82) Characters in drama's tend to have chronic constipation and or other issues with bowels

83) Best gift "Brand Name" purse

• LOL 8

@triplem, I hated Byun Hyuk's father sooooo much in that scene. *shudder*

And, yes, "come over and have some ramen" seems to be the same as asking someone over for a *cough* nightcap. :D

• LOL 4

I was going to write about nosebleed but @kismet22 covered it!!! Seriously though, I have never had a nosebleed in my life and trust me I have studied for like more that 16hours a day continuously. Tsk tsk. Maybe it's not enough... I should work hard more, maybe do a couple part time jobs, to get a nosebleed. LOL

@triplem Come over and have some ramen is the new Netflix and chill. Ok maybe not new... Hmmm Korean version of that. LOL. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 5

33 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

@triplem, I hated Byun Hyuk's father sooooo much in that scene. *shudder*

And, yes, "come over and have some ramen" seems to be the same as asking someone over for a *cough* nightcap. :D

Mmmm... muz share share

pcUPZ6r.jpg

yum yum... *burp*

I totally forgot about these doll machines they have in almost every other Street in Seoul, while talking about stuffed dolls. @Lmangla is probably rolling her eyes at me now, but this is a troupe on it's own, ok. LOL. Ok ok you don't have to add this as a separate entity. The male lead usually sucks at picking up dolls from this doll machines. Everyone except the male lead can easily win a doll, but male lead struggles with it. And you know that it's true love when he spends the night trying to get a doll just for her. LOLOLOL. 

@supergal99's gif got me thinking of this other troupe where people in dramaland uses food items as a excuse to kiss. Haha. The infamous foam kiss in secret garden my most favourite. We also have donut kiss in heirs, cola kiss in like to me.... Etc... I'll try to add gifs of all these kisses when I get back home. LOL. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 5

1 hour ago, kokodus said:

gif got me thinking of this other troupe where people in dramaland uses food items as a excuse to kiss. Haha. The infamous foam kiss in secret garden my most favourite. We also have donut kiss in heirs, cola kiss in like to me.... Etc... I'll try to add gifs of all these kisses when I get back home. LOL. 

Ahhhh would all this would be put under prop kiss ? 

https://www.allkpop.com/article/2014/09/k-drama-feature-most-innovative-use-of-props-in-kiss-scenes

• Like 2

here's the updated list... so it shows the community has super sharp eyes and we notice all sorts of things. hahahah.. but even as we laugh about them, we love these tropes as we sit back and watch them in dramas no? :lol:

#1 - rescued from truck of doom

#2 - The childhood friends turn into lovers
#3 Cliche pull and push realtionship
#4 Noble idiocy separation
#5 Rich boy poor girl
#6 Angry Encounters  
#7 The shopping/makeover scene  
#8 the rooftop room
#9 Piggyback ride
#10 Half-way through the drama amnesia trope
#11 - gangster clothes
#12 The mean love interest trope
#13 Clinging ex
#14 - bad boys in saeguks always get the cool outfits including really nice earrings!
#15 Love triangle FTW... NOT.
#16 Time Jump
#18 Sweet Second Male Lead turn into Evil OOC Parody trope
#19 - doors are never locked
#20 Broken and troubled main lead being healed by love
#21 - everyone relaxes in sauna
#22 Birth secrets
#23 The Wrist Grab
#24 fan service shower scenes !!!
#25 Kdramas seem to only have 2 endings - everyone gets a happy ending or a lead dies"
#26 Dramas - 2nd female lead evil usually
#27 poor but still brand stylish
#28 - everything fits into one suitcase when they leave
#29 - girl is strong in beginning and total mush later
#30 - girl, the forgiving saint
#31 - pair of glasses that don't work
#32 - Babe Falls .. Oppa catcha
#33 Cross Dressing!!!
#34 - opposing kdrama parents
#35 all male leads are genius
#36 okie Pretended SICKNESS!!!
#37 In kdramas, people have sex with clothes on.
#34 - when oppa is hot but his style is confusing.
#39 Let's kiss like a stone hits a tree trope
#40 Everyone eats at Subway
#41 kim nam gil dies in most of his dramas
#42 Cutting your own hair will give you a cool haircut
#43 Love contract
#44 co-habitation

#45 - noona - dongseng

#46 - han river is the place to be.
#47 - fauxcest
#48 start from enemies to lovers
#49 Cancer
#50 Funny BFF

#51 - bromance

#52  - first female lead destined to get less fashionable 

#53 - yellow umbrella

#54 - cute stuffed dolls given as gifts

#55 - ajumma perm

#56 - gang of 4 romances in weekend dramas

#57 - faulty CPR

#58 - water slap, also document slap!

#59 - Wind Blowing when Hottie/Babe ... 'Descends'

#60 - the drunk kiss or almost kiss

#61 - Slow motion and multiple angle shots to epic scene

#62 - Heroes or heroins with superpower ability

#63 Violent bosses

#64 Good girl falls in love with bad boy trope

#65 U-TURNS   Anytime, Anywhere! 

#66 SOJU, must be the cheapest booze on earth, or everyone gets paid like a king

#67 The Wet Washcloth is the Cure to (Nearly) All Illnesses!

#68 The hospital to treat minor ailments.

#69 The most memorable Epinephrine of medical drama

#70 Drama main lead is bulletproof and immortal

#71 accidental kisses

#72 We had cancer but there is also the brain tumor trope   

#73 Shady endings

#74 Cooking Ramen

#75 PD lets us know that male lead is going to do something important with a coat / jacket wearing scene . 

#76 male lead ties female lead’s shoe laces though her hands are perfectly fine

#77 -- "Gangsters/Loan sharks that show up at school or work to demand payment...or else..."

78)  I'm so bummed out that I/we need to go sing Karaoke

79)  The evil mother-in-law trope

80) The overworked "candy" character always gets a nosebleed

81)  Female lead gets smashed, falling down, passed out drunk and throws up trope and male lead takes her home...piggy back or taxi

82) Characters in drama's tend to have chronic constipation and or other issues with bowels

83) Best gift "Brand Name" purse

#84 The main character must do one random chore to show off PPL. like check phone for banking

contributors: @Jillia @stargazer187 @kokodus @kaitochi @yamiyugi @adriana902 @stroppyse @angelangie @supergal99 @onlysb1 @jeijei @SpiritGambler @triplem  @Lmangla @phikyl @aisling @oneandthree @Night Star @kismet22

Edited by Lmangla
updated list
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

#84 The main character must do one random chore to show off PPL. For instance, phone banking, buying food for staff at Subways, Quiznos, Papa Johns, play with the latest Samsung, etc.

Also, @Lmangla, #25 probably needs to be amended to clarify the 2 endings:

"Kdramas only have 2 endings - everyone gets a happy ending or a lead dies"

• LOL 5

#85 - the kimchi test for eligible grooms

this test is held by the girl's family to check the guy's intention. all he needs is pink gloves, maybe borrow some ajummah pants and sit down for few hours with the family to make kimchi. not sure what the rules are (maybe the kimchi just has to be edible??) but there is 100% pass rate with the male lead and the girl's family gives approval. don't know why second leads never get opportunity to at least make attempt for this test....

bbfe31f91c8577d6a97d5302fa694513.jpg

• LOL 6

15 hours ago, Lmangla said:

#85 - the kimchi test for eligible grooms

this test is held by the girl's family to check the guy's intention. all he needs is pink gloves, maybe borrow some ajummah pants and sit down for few hours with the family to make kimchi. not sure what the rules are (maybe the kimchi just has to be edible??) but there is 100% pass rate with the male lead and the girl's family gives approval. don't know why second leads never get opportunity to at least make attempt for this test....

15 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Kdramas only have 2 endings - everyone gets a happy ending or a lead dies"

Oh gosh reminds me of this (gif cto ) 

7-things-we-loved-and-3-things-we-hated-

15 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Kdramas only have 2 endings - everyone gets a happy ending or a lead dies"

So true. All the dramas I have watched are like that!!! Why ??? 

Edited by triplem
  • LOL 4

Come to think about it, Boys Over Flowers was probably the most cliched drama out there. If you look at the list of all the tropes we put together, BOF had almost all of them LOL :lol:

• LOL 3

6 hours ago, Lmangla said:

contributors: @Jillia @stargazer187 @kokodus @kaitochi @yamiyugi @adriana902 @stroppyse @angelangie @supergal99 @onlysb1 @jeijei @SpiritGambler @triplem  @Lmangla @phikyl @aisling @oneandthree @Night Star @kismet22

@kismet22 ~ do you want to modify 77) "It's not true love until we are separated by several years and come back to each other" trope that usually is second to last episode. -- we already got time jump in #16

Hi Chingu, yes we do have time jump not sure how I missed it because it's one trope that really irritates me.  So, how about the "Gangsters/Loan sharks that show up at school or work to demand payment...or else..."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Oooh this seems fun! Can I join?

#87: Romantic scenes under the snow

Nothing says romance like hugging and taking care of your girl under the snow :tongue:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Spoiler

giphy.gif

(First time giffing please tell me if I make any mistake ^_^)

• Like 4

@Cecentre, nice gifs!

giphy.gif

I have to say that I love this full scene. This is the funny part of the scene where PSH does her deer in the headlights when kissed thing. However, when they actually kiss a couple of seconds later, I think it was the first time I saw PSH deliver a decent kiss rather than a frozen deer in the headlights kiss. :lol:

And, yes, kdramas are full of being with your true love at first snow. @Lmangla and @Cecentre, if I may suggest a small amendment to #87 to reflect that it's "first snow" that kdramas are obsessed with since the belief is that the first snow of the season is significant.

Also #88 There is a running gag that adding -yo to the end of the sentence takes it from informal to formal speech. I've actually seen this a number of times now where someone is being told to speak in polite speech, however, because they're not used to it, they'll speak in informal speech, but seeing a glare or other look from the recipient, they'll hastily add a "-yo" at the end of what they're saying to try to pretend that they had been speaking formally. Though, I'm not sure that this is a gag that anyone who isn't familiar with Korean speech would get.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

#87 to reflect that it's "first snow" that kdramas are obsessed with since the belief is that the first snow of the season is significant.

so what is the significance? there is reference to it in lots of kdramas but other than it being all pretty, they never explain it....

• Like 2