Quantcast
0ly40

[Drama 2018] A Poem A Day / You Who Forgot Poetry, 시를 잊은 그대에게

Thanks everyone for clips, pics thoughts.

I admit I watched all the clips and then the raw. I just couldn't stay away.

Our JW, he is definitely trying to not redo a mistake (as we saw in last episode ep 9) when he decides to reject BY. Coupled with his ex still trying to talk to him at his old Chief/father figure funeral to calling him after he was upset with her at the funeral. He was thinking to squash /nip it in the bud. We know he has good feelings for BY. He cares for her (though he isn't wasn't trying to ). He cared when she avoided him. He cared was crying or wanted to help NW and later MH have a place to sleep. He even was smiling looking at the  poetry she sent before his ex called him and changed his mood. So when he asked BY to meet up, he decided to err on not pursuing anything.

You initially think he had no feelings, but when he even says to himself, I am making the right choice to not repeat my mistake.

His colleague the professor asking him to make a lecture, he seemed closer to him and care. You should find your soulmate and someone you care about and open yourself up and move on. Is there that kind of person? When JW was quiet, he then added if you found that special someone make sure to grab her and not let her go. Then JW has to say---mind your own beeswax. But still the friend's voice is in his mind when he thinks of BY and wanting to talk to her to accept or reject her confession.

We know he cares about her and treasures her, as he made sure to say in the beginning of his rejection. BUT as a colleague and went on saying he wasn't planning to date anyone as he has said before. (Convenient and easy excuses as he was right. He had mentioned it before and there was no mystery on his part.) Aww but the heart wants what the heart wants. He was thoughtful after BY left. He did care of her feelings but realized there is NO way to butter up or make someone feel ok after being rejected. NO WAY at all. So him making her think she had a chance (even though he was trying the soften the blow of rejection) was not helpful. Plus NW over reading it thinking it was a green light as he did not use his usual rejection (as he does immediately). So he does take into account BY's soft and emotional /empathetic side and still wanted to be on good terms.

BY after the rejection bless her heart calls herself selfish and caring for herself and feelings. He was not over his pain of his ex and she tried to push/confess her feelings to JW. (She is just a sweet and sensitive gal. Truly want her happy. I was glad that MH did want her happy and though he said it. Truthfully he confessed being relieved she was rejected. He confessed to a sleeping BY I am more selfish as we know BY is not your typical selfish gal at ALL.) MH really was a good friend and wanted to do ALL what she wanted to do. Taking her to see the ocean (even after NW and JY wanted to go ---he did not like seeing  a sad BY). When they were hungry, MH treated them to lunch but made sure to ask HER what she wanted. She always kind sided with the boys. Even when she wanted to do the fireworks, after MH did want to, he turned around and got it when BY said she liked it. So from a jerk to yes man doing what BY wants---wow. I like his growth to care for someone else and want them to be HAPPY and smile.

When BY said the fireworks were beautiful. It was cute (typical drama style) he repeated beautiful but was staring at BY instead. So romantic but this episode just cemented to me and he was always the lead JW. But our rascal /meanie MH has a hidden soft heart for BY (timing sucks) . I loved that JW was jealous a smidgeon noticing MH Kakaotalk profile pic had him with a dreamy looking BY next to him.

Go BY for telling JW (after awkward day after the rejection and finding she won't be a FT).  JW wanted to meet up with her as he found out she lost her FT opportunity from MC. But BY said for him (GO BY and it was hard for her) to have him stop looking out for her, worrying about her, seeking her out or trying to care for her. It must have pained her to say that to him. But it would make her recovery and time to get over him HARDER seeing him still try to treat her like a treasured colleague but she is still so in love with him. Even JW was sad after hearing that. Plus when she was not at his forum, only SW and MC were there. But the look he had of the lovely BY on screen when the train /example clip with him and BY. She looked with hearts in her eyes (the same expression MH hated and had to stop filming as he was aggravated and annoyed seeing it).  JW was uncharacteristically staring at her and quiet. Even SW and MC noticed along with everyone saying---he never if rarely makes a big mistake like that .

Poor MC thinking she was crying due to the lost FT opportunity as he was not leaving. Taking her to her fave buffet and seeing her plate with the sad lettuce and tomato---def something was up. He did not believe when she said she was not crying about that but something else she cannot say. Poor MC still thinking what can she not tell me?! Then later when drinking after JW presentation forum/he still said BY who wanted to see JW's presentation was egregiously absent MC still thought ---she did not want to see me--her hated person. JW knew otherwise. He was pounding the drinks down (and accepted their offer for a drink when he ALWAYS rejects them). Even when they asked what was wrong, he would not share.

YES JW, you feel pain, emptiness you were not expecting. BY will not look at you that way, she will not want to see you etc due to wanting to get over her caring for you. i cannot blame her. You need to WAKE UP. LIke his colleague the professor said, you cannot wait and grab her and not let her go. He is getting regrets (even his mind is fine) his heart is working find and reminding this we thought emotionless advice robot is NOT one at all. He does have a heart. He was just ignoring it.

He NEEDS to be in pain. He needs to realize (not before it is too late) how precious BY is to him.

Poor BY this episode was day dreaming of him so much. Even she apologized to his image in her day dreams saying I need to get over you. But I wanted to go eat delicious food together, be with you... Or when MC complimented that her crying was not something bad but good echoing earlier what JW said to her about being in touch with her emotions. Her head is full of JW. So her saying to him when he tried to console her not becoming FT was on point. It will be harder for her to recover if he is nice to her. Since she is the only person he really was nice to outwardly that is going to be hard.

• Like 5
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

On the next episode clip, yes I agree with the netizen and YOUTUBE comment , Ha Seok Jin is hitting on YJ (as you see her brown hair real fast) then they show BY face.

But I LOVE how JW is not acting characteristically himself as he is being JOLTED awake. If he is still pushing down ignoring his feelings he will lose out.

BY is heart broken but she will recover as she did with MH. As others have pointed out, she liked MH it was a crush but it was NEVER LOVE as he was kind of jerky later on to her. Initially he was nice and giving her ride, it is normal for a gal to think . Wow a reasonably good looking guy is kind to me.  

With JW, yes she was smitten with his good looks as well. He is cool/cold exterior and trademark tsundere. BUT he was not MEAN as MH and acted as mentor/knight in shining armor. He recognized her worth as a hard worker, good person and good soul. He WANTED to be close to her ---you always want to surround yourself with good people (How I operate my life and for JW I cannot blame him after his last fiasco at his last hospital.)  He praised her, believe when she said she did not tell the halmoni not to do the surgery, he defended her from the insurance fraud patient, fixed her work schedule (as it was so unbalanced) and even complimented her that her tears were fine and not a bad thing. Or her body gags were not embarrassing but cute and sweet that he would treasure the pics and use them when he is sad to smile just looking at them. Even when he as wanting to return the USB, he wanted to go for a walk with her as he knew she liked walks. As another person mentioned, who knows what would have happened if he did not encounter his EX again and went to the funeral of this father figure and old boss. So her saying she is in LOVE I can believe it.

I mean he lifts her up, despite her being clumsy, doing many embarrassing things, he is not horrified or shocked. He acts opposite what MH expected when he was exposing, he thought to JW her unattractive traits. But instead made JW think she is cuter and lovelier. YES, when JW said the person who you like in the future will accept your past with no issues. When a person truly loves/likes you they take you all warts and all.

MH is liking BY warts and all slowly as he is in his training with BY. He is realizing their friendship and her care and big heart she is that way and consistent with people. Like today's side story with the patient recovering from car accident. He is so adamant to recover to go back to his wife . BY sees him practicing during her break and she helps him. The son appreciates her time and efforts. BY notices his parents must be in love. He said yes, they never had an argument. But his mom died (ergo not coming to the sessions with them) but the father doesn't know yet. He doesn't have the heart to tell his dad that due to the accident she died. Plus his situation (memory?) is not the same. Gosh my heart broke for the father and son. BY is so consistent about being a good person and doing a great job in her work.

I like MH being attentive to BY. As preview shows, he wants to confess even NW was saying this is your BIG chance to confess and take her to the ocean and grab hold of her. He did take her to the ocean and treated her sweetly but no grand confession. The fact he is smiling and looking at poetry, you know he wants to confess. Flip side, JW is finally going to listen to his heart and say something to BY. Is it too late? I like JW will act out weirdly or out of jealousy. We know that is not out of the norm, when he got petty revenge for BY by outing his BAD GPA in front of everyone last week.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

@stroppyse Thanks for translating the poem that JW did the VO for this episode. I love his voice. So apt. The poems add a lovely feel to the episode and their everyday lives. Not overly complicated but they give a level of comfort and consolation. I can see why BY loves poetry. Why she shares poetry to comfort them.

I admit Iove BY VO when she reads the poem. She has a lovely warm, bright voice that when she leisurely reads the poems, it is like a warm blanket placed over my lap i want to snuggle up more with.

This drama is balancing the other angsty dramas I am catching "Tempted", "My Mister" for example. 

• Like 9

Ok first of all, BY is literally the clumsiest and cutest drama lead I've ever seen, how she dances, how genuinely kind she is, that laugh after she sang happily about loving Dr. Ye, the way she responded when she got rejected and how she would cry each time she looked at him or thought of him, and how she stuffed her mouth and ate the bread too look nonchalant in front of him lmao uuugh.... I've never seen anyone this endaring seriously. ( Thank God they cast LYB. I've never seen any of her works but she is perfect for te role and now she is a favourite. )

Second, some of Dr. Ye's mannerism reminds me of 2005's P&P's Macfadyen's Darcy. How he might seem high and mighty and distant, that awkwardness when BY confessed,  the way he is hearbroken...I loved seing love sick and heartbroken Darcy so I'm enjoying Dr. Ye's suffering way to much huhuhuhu. And I guess we'll have a confrontation next episode and I'm just like.....Hell yeaaaaah. bring it on!! ( and Oh my god you girls should watch this actor in Secret Forest and Naked Fireman. He is so damn versatile. In SF he was my fav a**hole, he was just hilariously corrupt and despizable but soo soo good, and in NF he is just too funny and nonchalant and dreamy.)

Third, the way Dr. Ye narrates the poem about the rain this episode was so beautiful, at a point I even sensed a tone change as if he was about to cry while reading a verse. The verse that was written of BY's pillow while she was lying on her bed. Man, I can't wait to hear it again with the subtitles to have my heart break even more. But you know what? after I heard the poem narrated by him, I realised how actually beautiful BY's voice is and how good she is at narrating the poems. she does it in a kind of dreamy and sometimes even happy tone. (also unless MH narrates a Poem next episode, the fact that Dr. Ye did this episode gave me hope as him beaing first lead...lol, the struggle is real with this drama but it's fun guessing each time haha) 

Anyway, I think that next episode Dr. Ye will be late and MH would have already confessed. Maybe he'll even witness the confession and it'll break him even more *evillaugh*  I wonder what would be his reaction but I hope that he'll do the right things to win her back. As for MH, he was nice these episodes, I like the fact that he is growing up into a better man, I wonder what he'll do when he discovers Dr. Ye actually loves BY tho...huuum

• Like 9

I'm feeling divided here. I'm all about Yeline, but I started to have motherly love for Minho. I'm just an old ahjumma after all. :blush: I think he's just a kid and he probably never felt something like this before. I want BY and Ye to be together, but my heart aches when I think about MH feelings and how much he's probably going to suffer. Ottoke...:cry:

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

@jeijei, are you serious about wanting translations on the poems? I thought there were already translations and analyses of the poems on the thread. However, if you're serious, I'll see what I can do. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I'm not satisfied with the DF subs. Even though I don't understand Korean, I find that there are inconsistencies. Wow LOL  I trust @stroppyse more than DF. So if you have time, pretty please. Thanks. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

I have not watched ep 10 but after watching ep 9, I realized something

...Lee Joon Hyuk (dr.Ye) is VERY flexible. I mean, look at that dance! Did he used to dance?

:wub:

• Like 3
  • LOL 6

1 hour ago, marinated_lemon said:

...Lee Joon Hyuk (dr.Ye) is VERY flexible. I mean, look at that dance! Did he used to dance?

LOL, that dancing and heart balloons dream sequence in episode 9 was hilarious. And embarrassing. I don’t know how they filmed that with a straight face. :grin:

Many people who didn’t see him in FoS though his acting was stiff and boring as Dr Ye. The rest of us who saw him in FoS can agree on that he’s a really versatile and talented actor. FoS wouldn’t be the same without him,I just loved to hate him there!

• Like 7

LJH is capable of displaying a variety of emotions. But he's given a material where he needs to act as a robot lols so there you go, a better version of not-Aji 3. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 7

2 hours ago, marinated_lemon said:

After watching the bts , he can also tinker on the piano. :lol:. Given that I hv seen this man in a variety of roles , ahh there’s a lot he can do. Also Lee Yu bi is crushing hard on her oppa here just as BY is crushing on Dr Ye. See her giggly bts & v live interactions with him . She’s cute. 

I agree that he (LJH ) is an extremely versatile actor . He does both antagonist/ protagonist roles very well. I’m even watching his family weekend drama now. :lol:

I actually like his lack of emotions here & slowly seeing the change in each episode. 

• Like 7
  • LOL 2

5 hours ago, stroppyse said:

@jeijei, are you serious about wanting translations on the poems? I thought there were already translations and analyses of the poems on the thread. However, if you're serious, I'll see what I can do. 

I am not asking you for translations as I think and I saw you translating on other threads. You are a very busy and wanted woman.

But you should go watch ep 10 subbed and how it massacred the poem. And see why your translations gives you what the director/ writer wanted. Not the subs we currently have.

My Korean is rudimentary but I understood the gist of the poem yesterday when I was watching it. And translation is an art. It is not only verbatim but the correct word choices. The current subs for the poems make them all sound like ordinary sentences. There is no feeling or art or emotions behind it. It is just a line to be translated.

Sorry. That's me on my soap box. But I usually grumble about it for the OST translations. So I will be happy to read all your poems. But if you do it I wouldn't mind the Korean url link. Unless you're subbing straight from the video.

I appreciate all that you do. I went back to the rain scene after you translated it. And gosh, the poem and the scene just tugs at your heart. And the song lyrics along with the narration? Just beautiful. I like this director a lot for this drama.

• Like 6

@triplem i dont mind them dating in real life:D LYB and JDYs interaction have a younger brother vibe but LYB and LJHs seems to be more careful and aware...the way they stare at each other in the bts is daebak! Hope they will be LEE-LEE couple

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

so i am wondering why did we have the beach scene at all in the first place... with not at all necessary scenes of JY and NW fighting and Minho trying to be the mature one.

And there is this small glimmer of hope..

if the series really was about BY pining over Ye.. she could have done that at home.. minho lives nearby to witness it.. she could have done it in office.. minho would have witnessed.. whatever happened from BY's perspective would have happened anyways..

And there is this one thing that i realized..

BY sees MH as an immature kid in front of Dr. Ye.. or otherwise.. who is always joking, not taking things seriously..

My silver lining really is that the whole beach scene brings out MH's serious, mature side.. he cares about his friends, he is sensible and not a "kid". .. this should have registered with BY subconsciously... so that when she is out of her mourning, she can see that..

But yes, for the first time very doubtful of my ship :tongue: ... MH suddenly seems to have become second lead.. or was from the beginning.. because BY isn't over Ye.. so even if MH proposes she will reject.. and if Ye does it.. it will be end game ..but then we have 6 episodes to go , so there needs to be some development somewhere :tongue: 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, aisling said:

Many people who didn’t see him in FoS though his acting was stiff and boring as Dr Ye. The rest of us who saw him in FoS can agree on that he’s a really versatile and talented actor. FoS wouldn’t be the same without him,I just loved to hate him there!

Furthermore in Along With Gods, he managed to fool us all into being a good leader :tongue: another work of his, Midsummer something, his character is similar to Dr Ye. 

Thank you thank you for those who shares the clips. Seeing Dr Ye gawking at Boyoung on screen is... funny haha. It is nice to watch a robotic person turning into softie. However, it made me wonder how does Dr Ye dated his ex? :huh:

If @stroppyse is doing poem translation, will there be a link to pool all them all? I'm only relying on the subs, even then, I find all poems are pretty (since I have no clue about poetry haha) Big thanks in advance for any translations too~

• Like 4

Here is BY's poem from episode 10.

Long Ago Flames - Choi Young Mi

They were flames that we had stolen for just a little while.
But while we were basking in its warmth,
We forgot the world’s troubles and fears,
We were warm.

Thank you.
For everything that you did for me,
And even the things you didn’t give me.

@jeijei, no promises, but I'll try to translate and post the other poems, though it will probably take me awhile to get to them all.

@ck1Oz, no links,  I'm afraid. I'm just working from the videos.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3