Quantcast
larus

[Drama 2017-2018] A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi 화유기

tvn Faecbook upload photos of Wrap up party 

I don't want to say about the ending anymore. It's not bad but i'm still sad about my OTP. But i really happy to see the journey of their love.

I'm going to miss this drama. It's really over :bawling:

Most of drama i seen, the main lead will not have selca together at the wrap up party, so i have no hope at this time lol <_<

• Like 5

giphy.gif

I'm sorry is this a joke? I don't understand. What happened? I don't... I can't believe it. I refuse to believe it !! I can't believe I watched 19 episodes to get THIS ending!!  I was prepared to almost every finale possible, EXCEPT an open one!! 

OMG! what a waste of resources, of actors, of a possibility of a great ending!!!  I'm disappointed.

Didn't we almost had it all?

• Like 12
  • Sad 1

I'm fine with the story being about MW+OG's journey, but here's my issue: why call it "absolute romantic exorcism story" and throw us a richard simmons ending like that? Yes, the GGG loose end was tied up (and the scenes were beautiful) but imo there was no need for so much filler/flashback and that amnesia trope (or at least don't have it take up so much time). There are still more unanswered questions, and Hong Sisters had a chance to answer them but ugh... and since they rehashed OG's lines from early episodes, they should have had SM call his name to bring it full circle! I would've been ok if the episode ended like that.

I sincerely hope LSG and OSY can work on a project again together in the near future (with better story writers)

Edited by Jillia
Please do not circumvent swearing, thanks!
  • Like 11

To cure my broken heart, (I even sign up Soompi for this drama and end up I got to see this kind of ending ! Can both of you see how dissapointed I am Hong sisters ?!! ) I want to ship LSG and OYS. I will start follow the seungyeoncouple, keep update with their news as I did to songsongcouple. I really want them to be a real couple. From reel to real, consider it as the happy ending in Hwayugi, A Korean Odyssey. Full stopp

• Like 13

Have not watched episode 20, only browsing to prepare myself for the worst which exactly it. So what happened to the baby story? Was it there so that the God can pass on the sword for the next butcher party? Also the Heaven seems to be a not nice place and whoever there obviously are colder than the group of Demon. No rewards for SJ or OG for eliminating that weird dragon (disappointed since I was expecting a grand looking one). :angry:

• Like 2

So, I wasn't a huge fan of the Hong Sisters in the first place, so I don't have any particular urge to watch their dramas anyway. However, what this ending does do is make me wary of watching another LSG drama since now he has been the lead in 2 projects whose endings I really disliked: Gu Family Book and this one. I don't actually think that this ending is worse than the GFB ending, and the overall drama has been much better than GFB, but anyway, I think I will become even warier of the next LSG project. Perhaps there is just something about LSG that causes writers to write inadequate endings? As in, they can't bear to finish the drama and say goodbye to his characters, so they push it off as long as they can, and then have to slap something together quickly? I don't know. I'm just speculating now.

Still don't know if and when I'll watch the final episode. Still a bit sad at the ending that could have been, but wasn't.

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, immortal_piglet said:

but Seon Mi ya... did you not realise that you have actually heard his heartfelt sincere confession twice? At the exact same location?

I think this scene is heart wrenching, but so so so beautiful. They both can finally see the truth, they have both came to the same understanding, that they have sincerely loved each other. 

Of course, rebellious monkey king will never let go of his love just like that. Eventually he is off to fetch his bride in his 99-5050 mercedes. Their initial contract is broken because SM has passed away. He is no longer bound by anything, but he continues to run to her side whenever she calls his name one day again anyway. Why? “Because I love you”

it’s a beautiful ending chinggus :) so don’t be sad! 

I would agree with you. I mean I am not satisfied with the pace and I totally blame live-shooting (I mean for god's sake they were still shooting yesterday!). But I also find that this ending is actually quite symbolic. Like you mentioned, she gets her confession of love twice, at the same place.

I would also add that the beginning and the ending actually nicely echo each other in reverse. At first, SM and OG lived in different worlds and he ran away from her, erasing his name from her memory while she was chasing him, trying to remember his name. In this epsiode, we have the opposite in a way: OG is actively going to find her and he begs her to remember his name. Somehow, this ending seems quite fitting in terms of symbolism and to actually show how much OG has come to love her.

ETA:

1 hour ago, stroppyse said:

SM and OG's goodbye at Namsan Tower part 2.

OG: Now you have one of the Great Sage, Equal to Heaven Son Oh Gong’s all-seeing eyes.
SM: You’re giving me your eye?
OG: Jin Seon Mi, listen to me carefully. I’m going to go find you. Wherever you are, however you may change, now I will always be able to recognize you. Remember my name. I will definitely go find you.
SM: I will wait for you. Since when I call your name, you always come. I will definitely not forget your name, and I will wait for you.
OG: We will definitely meet again.
SM: The time is almost up.
OG: Go.
(SM disappears, OG cries)

THIS!

• Like 12

Yeah it was a really beautiful ending. Fans are sad maybe because we all liked this drama so much and thought about what will happen in the end, we all imagined different scenarios that we wanted to see but at the end they gave us something different. 

I didn't like ep 19 and how they approached that black dragon there and I told my friends that they ruined my favorite drama but fortunately they saved it. 

And about the writers I liked how creative they were that almost no one could predict this ending. 

It was not a sad or open ending they just didn't show what we already know that will happen. Personally i don't need to see them kiss n times to enjoy their love story  so I'm okay with their last farewell but I totally can understand why people wanted to see another kiss. 

I think when everyone calm down lot of angry fans will see it was not as bad that they thought at first. Of course still there will be some who won't like this ending even then but I'm sure some will change their minds. 

• Like 9

I dislike open endings the most, but it’s the most frustrating in fantasy dramas because literally anything can happen (because it’s fantasy). I guess the ending is neither sad or happy. It’s a giant question mark. 

Spoiler

Is SM now half demon since SG gave her his eye now? When he pulls her out of hell, is she going to be a demon, a deity, half demon, a spirit, a ghost? Is there going to be a next Samjang? What’s the baby’s purpose of appearing? Is the baby SM and SG’s? 

Even if they didn’t show what would happen after he got her soul back, there should have been some narration at the end, maybe a conversation between MW and Secretary Ma, maybe SMa asking what’s going to be of SM when she’s out with SG and MW would answer it while SG is driving on screen.

I don’t know if they’ve answered any of that because the sub isn’t out yet, but i really dont know how to feel about the ending. I would rather it be a solid sad ending than an ending that feels like there should be more to it. To me, if an ending feels incomplete as in there are still questions are left , then it’s not an ending, is it? 

The overall drama is good, the acting is AMAZING, everyone did a fantastic job.

but I’m not fond of the ending. 

• Like 7

A fantasy drama like this have same plot

The funny scene on earlier episode just an Appetizer for audience, but the the MAIN COURSE is always on 2 last episode, and after the drama ending they give us to choose a DESSERT for our feeling

Goblin ahjussi, Black Night Ahjussi, Mr monkey, 3 of them can meet and make a chatting group, u guys have a similiar love story ahahahahah

• Like 2
  • LOL 7

1 hour ago, stroppyse said:

OG: Jin Seon Mi, listen to me carefully. I’m going to go find you. Wherever you are, however you may change, now I will always be able to recognize you. Remember my name. I will definitely go find you.

Thanks for translating all the scenes.

What I am curious about. Will she forget about him in the Land of the Dead? Why did he urge her to remember his name? Also how will she change? A ghost? A demon? An immortal? A deity? What does that mean? Can anyone explain?

• Like 4

Hi, for all who think this ending is bad, its actually very good!!! It follows the original journey to the west tale where sam jang was rescued from the land of dead and Son Oh gong has the capability to change the “book of life ” and let her live for as long as he wants!!!! (Maybe another 100000 years?)  Instead of them meeting on the streets after Sam jang is reborn or Sam jang revive and at most live for another 100 years? 

And also the way the writers ended Ah San Nyeo life actually made us pity her and after knowing Bu Ja was already gone long ago. ( Actually it wouldnt make sense if she can continue to live)

So its actually the best ending!!!

but im curious, WHO IS THE BABY HAHAHHAHA

Edited by roeun98
  • Like 14

thank you everyone its been fun to be in this Hwayukiss oops Hwayugi Tribe :heart::tongue: after calming my self i can see the ending is realistic and  sweet, the focus is about sincere love, the fact that OG give one of his red eyes is like his last effort to keep SM, he make a promise to find her, and yes he rushes his journey to the after world to find her, and for every good deed always a good gift also, Soburi give SM the one day to see OG, is not about to take off GGG but for one final proper goodbye, the fact that OG truly loves her is her gift for being a good samjang, and destiny is only something that we can try to change but there are also certain things that  already been written by the higher power, the story line is somehow stick to this i guess, well its nice the story didn't pull us to see the vision of reincarnated JSM , they both fully aware that she could transformed to be anything when she comes back, the red eye will sure find its wa, and so i put it in my fav scenes list in this drama beside the Versace on the Floor night off course :D one thing is for sure after this drama the word "activate" will never be the same anymore... LOL:D For me Hwayugi is indeed one lovely tragic fairy tale of now days, have a great day everyone... Gosh i still  miss lee seung gi lucky there is still Master of the House :wink:

• Like 10

I guess I don't watch enough kdramas, but I'm still in shock at how "famous" writers could be so bad at wrapping up plot. In retrospect, the plot was indeed messy but it can't have been too hard if they looked at the big picture. PLUS they had so much leeway considering this is a fantasy drama where logic is allowed to fly out the window. Also the number of women vs guys that died in the drama irritated me tbh? like PK should've died from that lighter or something... gosh that ending was like going on a long treasure hunt to find nothing. It's almost as if they didn't want to make a DVD that's why they made a finale like that. lmao

This was a great comeback role for LSG since he still looked cool at the end, but OYS deserved better ... :( 

• Like 5
  • LOL 1

Hey, will we get a new BTS? or once a kdrama is over, we don't get anything else? 

And possibilities for a second season? could it be? with those ratings? what do you guys think? 

meanwhile *living in denial*

giphy.gif

• Like 10
  • LOL 1

Sorry I dont consider an open ending to be good when we know we wont get an actual conclusion.

The constant what if will be nagging at people forever lol

• Like 10

Remember when I said I didnt care about the ending? I lied. No, I told the truth. Wait no.:D I have mixed emotions. Definitely did not envision the ending. Got to hand it to the Hong sisters, they are fearless in their storytelling. Maybe it’s because they have gotten older, similar to wine? 

Truth be told I’m not all up in arms , but I did expect a conclusion. I don’t mind open ended stories just didn’t expect this show to have one. Guess I have to marathon watch the whole show again (the agony jk) :wink: 

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, klila said:

Hey, will we get a new BTS? or once a kdrama is over, we don't get anything else? 

And possibilities for a second season? could it be? with those ratings? what do you guys think? 

meanwhile *living in denial*

With that open ending, we deserve a conclusive bts video of LSG and OYS :^^^)

Or a special commentary episode by the cast with LSG and OYS.

heck, just give us more episodes so we can see SG fetch SM from hell and make the baby that appeared for 2 secs (and left in 2 secs with no explanation). 

5 minutes ago, dramaninja said:

Like I said the idea for the ending was good but they just did not go far enough.

They could have showed him actually getting prepare to get her back and showed some progress towards his goal.

Exactly. One of the main reasons why it feels unsatisfactory was because they stared a new adventure thing and showed no result that’ll come from it (SG saying he would definitely come and find her is hinting at what would happen but what about after he finds her? What form would they both take?)

• Like 6

Like I said the idea for the ending was good but they just did not go far enough.

They could have  showed him actually getting prepare to get her back and showed some progress towards his goal.

• Like 6