Quantcast
Go Seung Ji

[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 Daesang 2nd Seoul Awards

6 hours ago, justamom said:

I wish they made it a deposit, rather than a prepayment. But from what I understand, if the drama isn't popular enough they won't even bother with a Director's Cut. It's sort of like a special service for fans of popular dramas. I don't think they make that much off it if they're only targeting 300 overseas orders.

They've taken the date off from promotional materials. They're a bit vague about date I think, because of what I said above -- if demand is insufficient they may not even produce it. 

Thank you very much for the clarification.

This forum is moving faster than that of currently airing dramas. :D

@sadiesmith & @justamom thanks, that FMV was my personal favorite too.

• Like 5
  • LOL 1

So, I've caught up on the posts and the translation made by @rellea of that long post really got me. This section: "That child who was beaten, bruised, collapsed who despite all her hardship never asked for help and instead bore her suffering alone with a can of beer...looked at him compassionately, comforted him, and to give him strength, told him 'fighting'.

To see JA so happy at the end and 'living in comfort' and to see her have DH in her life again was made more meaningful after reading this. Hopefully her new life and future with DH can make up for everything she went through.

@h2ogirl I am amazed that someone can still find little hidden gems like the photos on YH's desk, the open and closed windows and the name of the market. But having a log of the times 'Thank you's' and 'It's nothing' are uttered? That's pure craziness... umm I mean genius!

Joking aside, your mention of the 'goose fathers' had me thinking of the scene after playing soccer when KH and SH ran from the police and SH tore his goose down jacket on the fence. Although it wasn't DH's jacket do you think it could represent the 'goose fathers' and DH? That DH's goose father life is now ripped. The feathers are flying everywhere, it's a mess. DH's life is a mess. The jacket is patched/mended with the work sticker as a temporary fix but it isn't/can't be properly mended. Also, goose down keeps you warm but now that some feathers have been lost DH's life/the marriage grows colder. I think this was an earlier soccer outing but then at the later soccer match where we see DH in the passenger seat after the game and his friend gives the heart sign then when he drives off we see JA standing staring at DH. Take off that jacket and throw it away. Now JA is/will be the new source of his warmth.

One thing I wanted to mention about a post by @arctichare but forgot at the time I'll mention now. It was a post of IU's song 'Bad Day'. As I read the lyrics to the song it so reminded me of JA and the life she led. I wondered if the PD and writer offered LJE the role of JA because they thought she could understand and inhabit the role of JA. That by knowing IU's songs they felt LJE understood the character of JA.

• Like 9

Finally, I signed up only for this thread. I've been a silent reader since the second episode and I'm so glad to find this thread. I read every post. I cannot express how grateful I am to read all your comments and deep analysis. Just like many people said before, watching MA makes other dramas seem so artificial. I've watched this drama 3 times :D. 10 mins working on my thesis, 30 mins for MA, soompi forum, and fanfic. Akhh.. how can I get out from this dark hole :lol:

• Like 6
  • LOL 7

Since so many of our lives have been held hostage by My Ajusshi for the past few months, I would so love to see someone here take on Dramabeans Theme of the Month challenge:

http://www.dramabeans.com/2018/06/theme-of-the-month-work-life-balance-and-k-dramas/

[Theme of the Month] Work, life, balance, and K-dramas

by javabeans

misaeng104.jpg

To this day, one of my favorite reader stories here on Dramabeans is the one of a drama fan who worked at a government office and sent her important boss on trumped-up appointments all day long… just so she could watch dramas at work. Back in the day, I’ll confess to calling in “sick” to catch the finale of a show I was desperately into because I didn’t want to spend all day distracted and fantasizing about the last episode until I could watch it later. But what’s a drama-addicted fan to do when there are real-life obligations (and obstacles) that cut in on drama-watching time?

Maybe you’ve made changes to your work because of dramas, or conversely, your work has changed how you see dramas. Perhaps a drama has shifted your idea of what a professional career is like, or even shaped the direction you’ve taken in yours.

How have dramas shaped, changed, or affected your working lives or careers?

I know you guys have stories, so lay ’em on me.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

It looks like these two “enemies” went on the paid vacation to Hainan, China together.

• Like 9
  • LOL 1

Just found this post on anditendshowyoudexpect.tumblr.com that makes my heart break into a million pieces again...

JlZdCtv.png

he staggers, his bag somehow too heavy - until it slips into his hand, unable to withstand its own weight. he stops, he struggles to lift it, but it won’t budge, it just won’t, and he doubles over, out of breath, out of hope, letting leather meet asphalt. maybe he’s had too much too drink. maybe he just doesn’t know how to walk this road without this weight on his shoulder. yet heavy or not, he can’t just drop it, that’s not who he is. so he remembers the simple word no one but one person - who probably needs to hear it more than him - ever thought to say to him and he lifts his head and he drags the strap up and he sucks new air into his lungs and he walks on.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, andius said:

Just found this post on anditendshowyoudexpect.tumblr.com that makes my heart break into a million pieces again...

he staggers, his bag somehow too heavy - until it slips into his hand, unable to withstand its own weight. he stops, he struggles to lift it, but it won’t budge, it just won’t, and he doubles over, out of breath, out of hope, letting leather meet asphalt. maybe he’s had too much too drink. maybe he just doesn’t know how to walk this road without this weight on his shoulder. yet heavy or not, he can’t just drop it, that’s not who he is. so he remembers the simple word no one but one person - who probably needs to hear it more than him - ever thought to say to him and he lifts his head and he drags the strap up and he sucks new air into his lungs and he walks on.

And after @rellea's post on page 242, we now know the bag is not just a bag, but a symbol for something much deeper.  Here it is for those who missed it.  It is long but worth reading every word:

• Like 9

19 hours ago, mylovelystar said:
This just in!

My Mister behind the scenes by IU TV

Screen shots by https://twitter.com/iumushimushi/status/1005014526729732096

Uploaded to imgur

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Wait, that third picture. JiAn was teary, they didnt include that in the last ep. :astonished:

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks! :)
  • Like 7
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ann04 said:

Wait, that third picture. JiAn was teary, they didnt include that in the last ep. :astonished:

IU TV Hanteo's inside joke

Quick summary

Spoiler

• Like 8

This song made me think of Lee Ji An and how she feels for Park Dong Hoon.  It’s a cover of Adele’s “Make You Feel My Love” by Sleeping At Last. If I knew how, I’d make a FMV of MA with this song but I can’t.  I wonder if anyone can make one.  Perhaps @Kimchi Sweet Potato :)?

LYRICS:

When the rain is blowing in your face
And the whole world is on your case
I could offer you a warm embrace
To make you feel my love
When the evening shadows and the stars appear
And there is no one there to dry your tears
Oh, I hold you for a million years
To make you feel my love
I know you haven't made your mind up yet
But I will never do you wrong
I've known it from the moment that we met
No doubt in my mind where you belong
I'd go hungry; I'd go black and blue
And I'd go crawling down the avenue
No, there's nothing that I wouldn't do
To make you feel my love
The storms are raging on the rolling sea
And on the highway of regret
The winds of change are blowing wild and free
You ain't seen nothing like me yet
I could make you happy, make your dreams come true
There's nothing that I wouldn't do
Go to the ends of this Earth for you
To make you feel my love, oh yes
To make you feel my love

• Like 9

19 hours ago, mylovelystar said:
This just in!

Screen shots by https://twitter.com/iumushimushi/status/1005014526729732096

Uploaded to imgur

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

That "Uwaa" at 3:41 from LSK :flushed:  

They are so different from their roles in real life, it never ceases to amaze me how good they are. Thanks a lot @mylovelystar !

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks! :)
  • Like 5

@andius  that’s why I want to see them do another project together with characters that will be the complete opposite of Park Dong Hoon and Lee Ji An.  They can do a rom-com or a straightforward, really serious and mature kind of romance.  I think they can pull it off.  That’s why it has to be a movie coz a tv drama would have too many restrictions. With their chemistry, I can only imagine the feels!  :wub:

• Like 10

@akhenaten Please check your PM:glasses:

IU sang I don't wanna love somebody else

@justamom  Please check your PM:glasses:

나의아저씨 감독판 추진팀 @my__mister replied regarding English subs for the Director's cut (Blu-ray)

Nothing has been decided yet. We'll do my best on that. But to be like that, It takes a lot of participation. If there's any other news about that, I’ll let you know! I’m sorry and thank you!

Cute Ji-an

OST

• Like 11

4 hours ago, mylovelystar said:
This just in!

Thank you!! 

The best moment for me was seeing Lee Seon Gyun off camera, before they shot that final scene. Lee Ji Eun was joking around, he saw her, and he just remained totally in character. 100% Park Dong Hoon right there. He must have been going through the emotions of their "break up" and that's how we got that beautiful confession, Park Dong Hoon coming close to breaking...

Why do you have to go...so far?

viewimage.php?id=20a4dd2ff6c63db4%26no=2

16 hours ago, popai5 said:

Joking aside, your mention of the 'goose fathers' had me thinking of the scene after playing soccer when KH and SH ran from the police and SH tore his goose down jacket on the fence. Although it wasn't DH's jacket do you think it could represent the 'goose fathers' and DH? That DH's goose father life is now ripped. The feathers are flying everywhere, it's a mess. DH's life is a mess. The jacket is patched/mended with the work sticker as a temporary fix but it isn't/can't be properly mended. Also, goose down keeps you warm but now that some feathers have been lost DH's life/the marriage grows colder. I think this was an earlier soccer outing but then at the later soccer match where we see DH in the passenger seat after the game and his friend gives the heart sign then when he drives off we see JA standing staring at DH. Take off that jacket and throw it away. Now JA is/will be the new source of his warmth.

Oh absolutely. That's such a beautiful insight.

@Kimchi Sweet Potato yes I noticed we've been on the front page for weeks and weeks! Everyone else must be wondering what's going on :lol:

21 hours ago, h2ogirl said:

A quick Ctrl + F search reveals that he also said "It's no big deal" in the beginning of ep 10 to his neighborhood pals when they express concern about his beat-up condition (but the Korean phrase is different - 별거 아니야).

---

Edit:

@justamom OMG, chakka-nim!!!!!! Chapter 11 was pitch-perfect!!!! AHHHHH *heart eyes*

Control F?? What are you Ctrl +F-ing????? 

You have lists of thank yous. That is just amazing. We really must get this fan site done. We can't just let these beautiful analysis and essays e.g. @rellea's translation slip into nothingness. I've been meaning to respond to that but I'm still digesting it....The original poster must have written something about episodes 13-16 as well?

I have been (slowly) rewatching and just started Episode 3. The morning after he discovers Ji An "saved" him by throwing the bribe money in the trash. He arrives at the platform and what does he do? He glances around, looking for her.

Man, you really don't know what's hit you...

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

hahah why is the forum so active??? The writer should see this place and publish a detailed explanation about the last episode and give us a story of how DH and JA will continue their relationship. No? okay 

Spoiler

I'm so sorry for dropping this question here, I'm just too lazy to go over the  soompi thread. I just finished watching "Signal" and honestly the last two episodes were too much for me to take in. It was kinda a let down for me, the suspense was overdone and overall nothing made sense for me. Do you guys know any well-known theories that explain the ending? What the actual f*** happened, I just really want to know, I'd really appreciate if someone DMed me, who watched the drama and kindly enlighten me?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Favourite Scenes from Episode 2: Park Dong Hoon Tries to Relax

Okay, I really need to learn how to do gifs.

The scene of Dong Hoon trying to smoke at the convenience store after he gets kicked out of his office.

Sang Hoon: You can't lose your job.

He takes out a cigarette, puts it in his mouth, then glances at the pack. Smoking Kills. Just one, he thinks. I'll let myself loose just once. 

The rest of the pack goes in the trash.

He takes out his lighter. Flick, flick. Even the damned lighter isn't working today. In the trash, too.

Then why am I still holding this cigarette?!

Park Dong Hoon desperately wants to let himself go, but this scene for me was a sign of his complete inability to do so.

Favourite scene from Episode 3 so far: it ain't about the dried squid

Dong Hoon comes home, brushes off Yoon Hee's questioning. I found the money. I found it. He grabs a bottle of soju and a bag of what looks like dried squid from the fridge.

But she doesn't let up. "Found? Where?"

Dong Hoon, completely not in the know, answers honestly. "In the trash, someone found it and returned it."

Yoon Hee slips up. "Why did they say you found it in the trash?"

Something's wrong. Dong Hoon takes a moment to realise it. There's no way she would know that. 

"I called Do Joon Yeon."

"Why would you do that?"

"Because ... who else could I call? I couldn't reach you."

Dong Hoon, out of frustration, starts ripping the bag apart.

"Stop tearing it like that."

A big tear. Dried squid pieces fall out. Dong Hoon, completely bewildered.

"I'll put it back nicely."

Yoon Hee, completely not upset about the squid, storms off. Dong Hoon's appetite completely gone, he returns the soju and packs the dried squid again. Approaches Yoon Hee in her room.

"I'm sorry ... it's just that... that man has greed in his eyes."

----

Those two scenes were masterful. Pure mastery of the craft of screenwriting. @andius are you taking notes?? I am completely in awe.

P.S. In the video @mylovelystar shared, someone says "IU's back now." But she answers: "Lee Ji An is still inside me". And that, truly, I think is the truth. Even before she became IU, Lee Ji An was already inside her.

• Like 12

21 hours ago, h2ogirl said:

I just edited my original reply... but the answer to your question is "yes". Off the top of my head, he tells JA "It's no big deal" (아무것도 아니야) in ep 10:

JA: I wonder if anyone will want to be close to me after they find out that I've killed someone. Even the people who'd been close to me while being unaware of that... all looked conflicted... after they found out what kind of person I am. "How do I separate myself from her?"

DH: If you don't consider it to be important... then other people won't either. And if you consider it to be serious then others will think of it that way, too. That's how everything works. You're the one who decides that. What happened in the past... is no big deal. If you consider it to be no big deal then it's no big deal. Live by the name that you were given. You were given a great name, after all.

---

A quick Ctrl + F search reveals that he also said "It's no big deal" in the beginning of ep 10 to his neighborhood pals when they express concern about his beat-up condition (but the Korean phrase is different - 별거 아니야).

Hi, I don’t know if someone pointed this out already, but I’m currently doing my first rewatch (convinced my mom to watch it!) and DH says this phrase in early episodes. I don’t remember the first time, but since I just rewatched ep4, I can tell you he says “It’s no big deal” to the villa owner when he goes to confront him about the kneeling incident. It’s  also one of the first recordings JA listens in to, and the first time she is moved to tears over DH’s actions/words. She thinks about her own past and actions when DH says to the villa owner:

“Yeah, it’s no big deal. No matter what I’m subjected to, it doesn’t matter as long as my family doesn’t know. But you can’t do something like that [i.e. humiliate/hurt someone] in front of someone’s family. If you do that in front of their family...[*JA flashbacks to KI’s father beating her, and a weak and battered JA taking the beating resignedly i.e. “it’s no big deal”*]...then I could possibly kill you. [*flashback then shows KI’s father hitting JA’s grandmother (i.e. her family), and JA snaps and stabs him*]”

I love this scene because it’s probably the first time JA really connects and resonates with DH: My own pain is no big deal. Beat me, humiliate me, hurt me. It’s no big deal. But mess with my family, and I won’t stand for it. I might even kill you.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1