Quantcast
Go Seung Ji

[Drama 2017] Because This Is My First Life 이번 생은 처음이라

50 minutes ago, rembrandtz_5e20 said:

Unlike a lot of other kdrama male leads, SH has :

-no birth secrets

-no chaebol parents

-no childhood tragedy or scar that he needs to avenge

-no anger against the legal or political system (which i think is a character trait that's getting stale)

-no supernatural or time travelling abilities (that too, is getting stale)

:lol: hmmm, so no shower angst scenes then where he feels sad on discovering some family secret or plotting some revenge??? hahahahhah.... or weird sweaters or suits in colours other than blue and black?... or trips to the mall where we see the latest trends?  hahahahh... by the way, does this drama not have PPL? it can't be sports channel subscription or arsenal fan club membership right? :lol:

• Haha 7

I'm loving this series so far. Our main couple is so unique and well suited for each other that it's just wonderful to see how them together. Can't wait for their relationship to blossom. It would be hilarious is SH is the one who falls in love first. 

• Like 8

33 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

:lol: hmmm, so no shower angst scenes then where he feels sad on discovering some family secret or plotting some revenge??? hahahahhah.... or weird sweaters or suits in colours other than blue and black?... or trips to the mall where we see the latest trends?  hahahahh... by the way, does this drama not have PPL? 

SeHee and JiHo apparently hate sandwiches and pizza.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

2 minutes ago, bedifferent said:

well, there's also korean food like kimchi and that would need a special fridge..... but horrors, they are not eating anything special. maybe cleaning products to help remove grime from tiles? :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

23 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

well, there's also korean food like kimchi and that would need a special fridge..... but horrors, they are not eating anything special. maybe cleaning products to help remove grime from tiles? :lol:

How can they not love their TV or cellphone? No gifting to each other yet but there is still plenty of time for that by tVN especially when rating is good! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Kudos to Soompi for holding this post which I started 10 hours again and had to leave it to attend a function. So happppyyyyyythe clips are still here. Used to be my posts get swallowed up.... chomped down by MR EXO.... haha  alright I'll finish off the last bit and post it. Sorry haven't read some of your posts yet. And epi 5 is going to get the wedding and more awkwardness. I hope his wedding photo don't look like the funeral kind... He should soften a bit t look celebratory.

We have pillow talk..

Now we have couch talk...

straight forward , honest and precise. Her score as a tenant is 4.7..... lol..( see spoiler on how tenant 7 scored such perfect score ) Near impossible feat .

Spoiler

More couch talk......Unravelling the gender mistake.

A WIN WIN SITUATION. WHAT A 50 DOLLAR CAN DO. A SMALL GIVE AND TAKE EFFORT BUT HUGE SATISFACTION.

The table can be regarded as an extension of the couch...... they are so comfy and relaxed spending the weekend together.

Ha ha......This has got to be the weirdest arrangement, JH replacing the egg she used is so agreeable to both that they bring cheer to each other's heart. His calculation in all matters is so exacting you can slice a butter knife through it.

MORBID COUCH TALK.......... DYING IN THE ROOM WITH THE NICE VENTILATION...... THE ONE HE'S RENTING OUT TO HER.

Direct explanation. No beating about the bush.... He said it witout missing a beat..... cool or what !!!

( see also spoiler )

Spoiler

22500504_1502178049865306_47703078450925

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, camichi said:

I can’t say that her parents don’t care about her but I can say that they have been a Little apathetic about her. Maybe that They think she is independent and can support herself  but its look like they don’t ask her about what she really feel and what she really wants.

It was no fair that her brother stayed and she had to move. The only reason I can find to understand their attitude could be that they trust her. Her brother is weak if we compare the two and the parents know that , but since he was a child always got the preference (Birthday party), so he grow up thinking that he deserves everything without and effort or without earns it.

As you comment before, she has a place with them but I don’t agree that she don’t want go because of her pride I think that if she return to her parents’ home she wouldl be giving up to her dreams. She is 30 and at that age you must be independent, it is no suppose that at 30 you should be living with your parents.

I agree with you.  She had put down a lot of money on that apartment and was paying monthly. Her brother was freeloading there, lazy and ungrateful.

It would seem to me that the son and wife and child tradionally stay at the husband's family house and his wife helps his mother care for the house. I am surprised they wanted them to live with the sister. Let's remember when JH got back from her writing assignment, the place was a filthy mess, she immediately started cleaning.

If the sister-in-law was responsible and worthy she would have kept the apartment clean and been humble about the situation.  JH was correct, if she stayed she would have been used as the housecleaner, and nanny, and taken for granted, while she worked her axx off paying the monthly fees.  How could she live with two selfish people like that?  And if the father had any consideration he would have given her money to find another place, if he did not want them living at his home.  Perhaps the son lived with the sister because it was closer to the school he was attending?  Anyway, it was clearly a gift for the son's convenience and inheritance, which JH helped pay for.

• Like 8

On 10/17/2017 at 10:04 AM, alekaonu said:

chingu, let me give you some tips on LMK's previous dramas.

Hello, my dear, it's so much fun seeing you in another drama thread.:wub:Thanks for the list. I have to admit I had only seen his cameo in SUFFB when I first started to watch dramas but his performance in that drama left a lasting impression for years. I loved him in Dal Ja's Spring and will check out I Really, Really Like you after this drama. 

On 10/19/2017 at 8:18 PM, lclarakl said:

@evie7, I so agree with you. Starting at episode 1, we had a glimpse of their relationship and he was always catering to her. I also think that she took him for granted. She was always, from the beginning, talking about breaking up with him. I hope he doesn't comeback like he has in the past and she needs to make some effort for  him. I want them to get back together, but I also want her to grow up and stop being in love with the "idea" of marriage, but instead start being in love with the man before her.

I want them to get back together too but they have both gotten into such a rut, she gets mad at him, he has no clue, he apologizes just to keep the peace, he still has no clue.  She should just take the time to break things down to him instead of this passive-aggressive game she's got them both playing.   Her threatening to break up w/him is her way of trying to keep the upper hand w/him. She is very insecure in this relationship and w/herself. She feels like she needs to be married to define herself and also as a way of not losing him. 

Mianhae chingus that I have been caught up in the baseball fever and haven't been around to even acknowledge your replies. I love that our otp have bonded over their favorite team.   

• Like 9

8 hours ago, bedifferent said:

Oh my! How are they going to fit Subway into the plot then?! :tongue:

BTW, I'm so happy our little show is starting to get a lot of love in China as well. If you read Weibo, a lot of fans' experience with BTIMFL pretty much mirrors our own rite of passage into this show:

1. Watches show on a whim even though it was not on their radar.

2. Falls madly in love with the show and marathons all available episodes. 

5. Rewatch everything while waiting for new episodes.

6. Goes on social media to gush about the show and tries convincing friends to watch it. 

Yup, that pretty much sums up what I've been doing in the past week. :lol:

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Lmangla said:

:lol: hmmm, so no shower angst scenes then where he feels sad on discovering some family secret or plotting some revenge??? hahahahhah.... or weird sweaters or suits in colours other than blue and black?... or trips to the mall where we see the latest trends?  hahahahh... by the way, does this drama not have PPL? it can't be sports channel subscription or arsenal fan club membership right? :lol:

We're definitely blessed that the cast doesn't have to spend most of the filming in a sandwich franchise restaurant. :D  

But they at least did some tiny instant ramyun - Shin Ramyun - PPL but I'm fine with that as long as the actors don't start to hold the ramyun cup in the camera. ROFL :lol:

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Jillia said:

We're definitely blessed that the cast doesn't have to spend most of the filming in a sandwich franchise restaurant. :D  

But they at least they did some tiny instant ramyun - Shin Ramyun - PPL but I'm fine with that as long as the actors don't start to hold the ramyun cup in the camera. ROFL :lol:

And KANU instant coffee :D

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

On 10/20/2017 at 1:33 AM, rembrandtz_5e20 said:

SH, JH and Kitty...

Photo credits in image

Screenshot_20171020-132306.jpg

I absolutely love the way he's looking at her in this picture. It's as if he's seeing her in a different light for the first time--as if he's aware.

• Like 9

heelllloooo chingus.....I am loving this drama...I am already on drama overload but thanks to dearest @Lmangla @bedifferent 's recommendation, I decided to pick this up as well. 

Just watched eps 2!!!! WOW....did not expect the turn of events. In two short hours we had a first kiss....

swFjk4Z.png

to a proposal....no time wasted here at all!

Lkq6iax.pngaKWYEPl.png

..but so sweet...perfect for each other. Love all the football (soccer) references plus it's a club I support by default (yes I even had to visit the stadium when I was on honeymoon)..I actually know who Wenger, Sanchez and Walcott are !!! :lol:

I can't believe he did an analysis of the of all his housemates. :ph34r:. But why do I find this geekiness so hawt ????

Spoiler

LXpJDVi.png

Despite him showing zero emotions...they have so much chemistry....can't wait for them to to really fall in love with each other. 

The premise is pretty nice  - you get to see 3 different couples at different stages of a relationship.  I kind of like them addressing this idea of a marriage of convenience (or contract marriages which I know is a common theme in k-dramas) . It somewhat challenges our modern day views of how marriages should be , which is often centered around falling in love first. This reminds me of arranged marriages here in Asia where I am from. You will be surprised that statistically , many arranged ones actually last the distance and I do read of stories of couples who really do fall in love after marriage. 

Regarding the 2nd couple , I am interested to see if they will make it. The cracks are showing - constant break-ups and make-ups - usually a sign of deep set issues and conflicting values that are pushed aside and never addressed properly for the fear of losing the other party. Of course the physical attraction rules the heart and the head as well..ahahhah...

Spoiler

HVG76ah.png

I can see them separating to be honest because both are starting to desire different things from the relationship.

Anyway off to watch eps 3 & 4...

p/s that guy she had a crush on ...what a d*ck head....i would have punched him. 

Edited by triplem
  • Like 14

New BTS.

Credit:  dreamgreenkintex, jung so min bar weibo

Spoiler

both are in the same outfit as the previous bts captured at night where they 'seemed' to be holding hands. B)

20171022_231457.png

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, rembrandtz_5e20 said:

New BTS.

Credit:  dreamgreenkintex, jung so min bar weibo

Reveal hidden contents

both are in the same outfit as the previous bts captured at night where they 'seemed' to be holding hands. B)

20171022_231457.png

omg wow are they already live shooting? Ooof, fighting to our main leads and everyone within the drama. I hope they'll be ok by the end of the series especially since they are already shooting this early on. :( 

• Like 12

4 hours ago, __jesse said:

The Graduate

“This is Benjamin. He’s a little worried about his future.”

The same can be said of Jiho. Even though she graduated from Seoul National University, her future remains bleak and worrisome. All the posters I’ve seen of the Graduate shows Ben being seduced by Mrs Robinson. But Jiho chose a poster of Ben and Elaine, I hope that means there’ll be no Mrs Robinson in the picture – PHEW.

In The Graduate, the story went full circle. It starts with Ben, who just graduated from college. He goes home and everyone asks him about his future plans, but he has no idea and tries to evade them. It ends with Ben eloping with Elaine, and everyone on the bus turns to stare at them. They gradually become uneasy as the same sense of uncertainty about the future sinks in. 

It seems appropriate then, that BTIMFL's story starts at the end of The Graduate, since the contract marriage is Jiho and Sehee's attempt to escape this endless cycle of uncertainty. For Jiho, it's the uncertainty of having a roof over her head. For Sehee, it's the endless cycle of blind dates and bad tenants. 

This is such a smart drama and it is fresh and romantic.  It is interesting to me that the screenplay JH is writing is also a fresh new romance.  She breaks down because the older writer comes in and immediately dumbs it down into a formula makjang (not knocking formula makjang - which in the hands of a masterful writer can be great, take Dickens for instance and even Shakespeare comedies).  She wants to use her energy to create a new approach.  But new, is scary and can fail.  

The Graduate couple were breaking away.  She was going to marry the safe Medical student (who was a classic macho  pig, by the way, bragging about his conquests) and he was on the brink of "the great abyss" graduating and making a decision about the future. He was used as a sex tool by the mother of the bride, a sophisticated, lusty, desperate housewife.  Now he was running off with her daughter- ouch.  They both were leaving  the  safe harbor of a corrupt imperfect and morally challenged world of the older generation.

I do not see a direct parallel of the stories but as    @__jesse said, they have made a bold move to extricate themselves from the formula, the pattern that was set up by the older generation and facing an uncertain future, the unknown territory of a relationship that is not protected by the culture and traditions that are now failing them and no longer make sense to their lives.  

• Like 17

3 hours ago, VanillaSalt said:

omg wow are they already live shooting? Ooof, fighting to our main leads and everyone within the drama. I hope they'll be ok by the end of the series especially since they are already shooting this early on. :( 

I think it could be for EP 8 or even later. The previews for this show has been 2 episodes ahead so far, so I think they might be quite ahead of time. The next 2 episodes will probably be devoted to the theme 'My first wedding' .

Can't wait for tonight! Thank God it's Monday :)

• Like 13

On 22/10/2017 at 12:03 AM, bedifferent said:

hahaha I'm waiting to see how JiHo's first time meeting SeHee parents will go.  SeHee is their only son, that comes with expectations and some sort of protectiveness.  I laughed at the thought of both inlaws meeting each other for first time as well. What kind of animal sound will we hear from his father? :lol:

Because this is their first time being parents...  :) I just find it's funny how JiHo is not her dad's princess.  Is it because she is an independent responsible soul even when she was a little girl?  We don't see a Father of the Bride display here. Yet anyway.  What kind of father takes the first bite out of a little girl's cake without giving her the first piece on her birthday?  lol  Let me call my own dad and ask him about it! 

Don't bother. Because there's a huge probability that your dad thinks of you as his princess but JiHo's dad doesn't at all. She became an independent responsible soul because she had no one to fall back on - neither her man-first father nor her naive mother. She'd be happy enough if her brother doesn't cause any trouble that she has to fix. Her dad probably thinks of her as a chambermaid, like she's some kind of employee there to work for him and all male-kind. When he got worked up over her living with a guy, that was because his chauvinistic male pride was taking a hit - his female offspring isn't "chaste", ~what will the people think?!~ SeHee's declaration that he won't let her hands get wet (I'm still guffawing over that hilariously nonsensical line and his very displeased reaction to that lack of logic) just makes him feel better about himself - at least she's not unwanted!! Good for his image as her father!!

I'm thinking that SeHee's dad's jaw will just drop upon meeting JiHo and hearing that she's his fiancée. After all the screaming, screeching and threats, he suddenly comes with not a date but a fiancée. LOL, what just happened there???? He probably doesn't care much about her background, just as long as she's female, has a working womb that can give birth to a son and this is actually for real .

• Like 11
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1