Go Seung Ji

[Current Drama 2017] Because This Is My First Life 이번 생은 처음이라 - Mondays and Tuesdays @ 21:30 KST

@stroppyse its good to see you on here!!!! I remember you from the My father is strange page. Thank you once again for your translating skills!!!!!!!!!  

I really liked this episode as well! I love that SH is not coming across as this completely cold and calculative person. Just as others have noted, there is a real warmth to him. He just doesn't see the world as the "norm". I'm hoping that this turns out to be a "real" marriage and not a contractual one. It's an unconventional marriage for sure, but they'll begin to rely and hope in each other and it'll turn into a "real" marriage. It's sort of like an arranged marriage where the couple don't really know each other but they grow to learn and love one another.  I don't recall there being a marriage portrayed like this in drama world. So hoping its not just another contractual marriage! Although it probably will be. 

Anyways, loving the mutual respect and kindness each lead is showing to the other. Cannot wait for the next episode. It has been awhile since I anxiously await a new episode to come on. 

• Like 11

I really love the ost (don't have the name yet) when in this episode she go to take the bus (I know the ost is in other episode). I find it calming and in the tempo of the drama.

I am the only one who find that the background of this image got a deeper meaning ? I don't understand it completly but I feel the necklace his around her neck and the hand are pushing him.

DSCF6276.jpg?type=w800_q75

• Like 8

Hi @mapleoaks4, nice to see on this thread! I also hope that it's not a true contractual marriage. Also, I actually don't think it will be after all since I don't think they're actually going to sign a contract or set terms for when the marriage is over. I think they might just go ahead and get married, and then wing it. Still, since initially, they'll probably try to be respectful of each other's privates lives, I'm looking forward to the awkwardness when they realize how much they seek each other out. I think it's already happened actually. JH going to SH's place when she didn't feel she could go anywhere else, however, SH as well is clearly missing JH in his life as shown by the times he looks around his apartment, it's palpable that he had gotten used to JH's presence there. He can rationalize it using statistics and scores, but the truth of the matter is that she is comfortable for him to be around in a way that he hasn't felt with anyone else. The snoring, though.... :lol:

@yusefull, wow, good observation. So, FYI, the poster of the belt the dog collar behind JH reads "Existing is not living." which could describe JH's current state. The poster of the fingers wearing burglar masks reads "Of the ten murder suspects." So, that is more vague to me. I wonder if it's about how he uses his fingers working on a computer to the exclusion of living a life? That's just my speculation, however. :)

• Like 10

I'm really enjoying this drama!! :wub: 

hhhhhhhhhhh

When people bother me during my personal meal time.
tumblr_inline_oxvn76Prh61qz9nuy_1280.jpg
tumblr_inline_oxvn763dYO1qz9nuy_1280.jpg
not really!! I can't eat in quiet place, I need at least tv or music playing while eating!! :lol: 
this!
            this! 
  • Like 11
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

, wow, good observation. So, FYI, the poster of the belt the dog collar behind JH reads "Existing is not living." which could describe JH's current state. The poster of the fingers wearing burglar masks reads "Of the ten murder suspects." So, that is more vague to me. I wonder if it's about how he uses his fingers working on a computer to the exclusion of living a life? That's just my speculation, however. :)

Or it could be the oposite, she is the writer (so the finger) and he got a cat so the collar (I am not sure that just  because you got a bone it's a dog one).

• Like 6

When you are jumpy .... !!

WHEN YOU DISCOVERED TO YOUR GREAT SHOCK  THAT THE FEMALE SPECIES SNORE..... Not the gentle purring but like like rumbling thunder ... haha

What's with the messages ?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

32 minutes ago, yusefull said:
47 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

, wow, good observation. So, FYI, the poster of the belt the dog collar behind JH reads "Existing is not living." which could describe JH's current state. The poster of the fingers wearing burglar masks reads "Of the ten murder suspects." So, that is more vague to me. I wonder if it's about how he uses his fingers working on a computer to the exclusion of living a life? That's just my speculation, however. :)

Or it could be the oposite, she is the writer (so the finger) and he got a cat so the collar (I am not sure that just  because you got a bone it's a dog one).

In today episode when she wait at the bus stop to get taken she is under the 10 fingers poster but you don't see the finger just the sentence.

• Like 7

40 minutes ago, yusefull said:

It would be unusual to put a bone tag on a cat collar. I think for most people looking at that collar and tag, they would think that it was a dog collar. Also, this drama seems to like cats, whereas Koreans have many sayings about dogs in negative connotations. However, I'm sure it's open to interpretation. I wonder if the director anticipated that we would be talking about the meaning of the bus stop backdrop posters as we are doing. :)

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

It would be unusual to put a bone tag on a cat collar. I think for most people looking at that collar and tag, they would think that it was a dog collar. Also, this drama seems to like cats, whereas Koreans have many sayings about dogs in negative connotations. However, I'm sure it's open to interpretation. I wonder if the director anticipated that we would be talking about the meaning of the bus stop backdrop posters as we are doing. :)

In today episode the 10 fingers poster is sub so maybe he count.

• Like 6

So, I haven't watched episode 3 yet, but after watching the first two episodes, I am completely on board.

With everything that happened to JH, what I found incredibly striking was how well she and SH lived together. That is extremely hard, even for couples who are in love, best friends and family members. Living harmoniously with someone else is hard! Really hard! Yet, here they were living together, even before they discovered who they were living with, they were like long-standing lovers and friends. JH does not judge SH the same way that others do. Yes, he is a little eccentric, but she really has an open-mind (true testament of a writer), thus she sees the points he tries to make, even when he is saying something most people would think is really odd.

These two don't mind being in each other's space. The things they have in common are significant. JH is an obsessive cleaner when she is stressed. HS has OCD. They both love soccer. They both believe in working hard, but also living a balanced life. This is where JH was at a disadvantage. Like her friend noted, she was always really happy writing, so what was making her miserable. She basically was no longer writing. The director was basically being controlled by that evil writer lady, who then completely took over her writing, the story line, the direction of the drama... Clearly, that evil writer lady is out of touch because when JH was at the wedding and she told her college colleagues the dramas she assisted on, none of them had ever heard of them. That was very telling. This is common in Hollywood too. Sometimes a writer, or director, or producer could have one hit, and then continue to get work even though they really aren't all that good. I write myself, and I felt her frustration with the older writer using every cliche' in the book, when they had originally agreed to go in a different direction.

I really disliked JH's father's disapproval of her. Yes, being a writer is not easy. But, at least she was consistently working, getting experience and working on her dream. Yet, he coddled the younger brother who hasn't finished school, has a shotgun wife and a baby on the way with no career or income. It was clear that baby brother is a burden to his family, but sis has to pay the price. The two leads have great chemistry, I am already rooting for them, and we are only two episodes in. I wonder how long it will be before mom-in-law starts requesting a baby?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

• Like 13

3 hours ago, mapleoaks4 said:

I'm hoping that this turns out to be a "real" marriage and not a contractual one. It's an unconventional marriage for sure, but they'll begin to rely and hope in each other and it'll turn into a "real" marriage. It's sort of like an arranged marriage where the couple don't really know each other but they grow to learn and love one another.  I don't recall there being a marriage portrayed like this in drama world. So hoping its not just another contractual marriage! Although it probably will be. 

I agree with you.  I do not want this to be a contractual marriage, but a real marriage; although, I am sure he will have some stipulations.  I hope those stipulations are about do's and don't about not rushing things and letting them flow naturally, rather than about length of time.

• Like 6

In the wake of the Harvey Weinstein sexual harassment scandal that has rocked hollywood in the past couple of weeks, I am greatly appreciative of the writer to take on heavy topics such as sexual harassment against women in the work place. That scene in ep 3 really broke my heart when the senior writer tricked JH into meeting the man who assaulted her. The sadness and anger she felt when everyone who knew about it was brushing it off as though it was "no big deal" really echoed the willful ignorance and shameful complicity that often occurs in the workplace and in society when it comes to women being harassed. JH's unwillingness to turn a blind eye to being assaulted for the sake of her career really speaks to the fact that sexual assault is about power and control, not about the victim somehow enticing and inviting assault. This drama is such a gem and JSM is quickly becoming one of the best actresses in her generation. Cheers to writer Yoon Nan-Joong for covering topics that are often hard to discussed but need to be mentioned. 

• Like 22

1 hour ago, Carmarie said:

I agree with you.  I do not want this to be a contractual marriage, but a real marriage; although, I am sure he will have some stipulations.  I hope those stipulations are about do's and don't about not rushing things and letting them flow naturally, rather than about length of time.

It seems like SH was envisioning more of a marriage of convenience than a contract marriage when he made his proposal. JH admitting that she was someone who would eventually need love and affection threw him, but he did accept her proposal, so I'm curious if he will approach it more from a contractual standpoint going forward. Or if they both will? 

And hello to everyone. I don't watch or comment on a lot of dramas, but I see some familiar "faces" which is nice. 

• Like 8

This Drama keeps getting better! I am loving her friends, such awesome support for her in all her trials.

And as for her soon-to-be-husband, even though it's starting off as a contract marriage,  there's no doubt where it's going to end up after a beautiful line like this one! 

vlcsnap-01577.png

vlcsnap-01578.png

SO swoony! :heart:

• Like 22

Annyeong, chingus! :D

I guess I found myself a new drama to watch and hopefully to love. So far so good! This drama takes a been there-done that-premise and mixes in tiny twists and unpredictable moves by the characters. Apperently we also can't find gender stereotypes which is refreshing - aside from few characters (*cough* Ji-Ho's family *cough* and *cough* Se-Hee's family *cough*).

I wish we would get this drama everyday because it always feels like forever to pass another week for new episodes. :lol: But I'm willing to torture myself and wait for the live episodes instead of  bingewatching it after it aired. 

So hopefully I can join the discussions here to share the love for this drama. :wub:

• Like 10

12 hours ago, b4l01 said:

Aww! 3rd episode is a heart-tugging one. I feel sad for JH.   It's so touching to see how the friends comfort JH by drinking and going to noraebang. It's such a fun watching them singing and dancing.  I was teary eyed watching JH at the bus stop at lost as where to go after their drinking night out.  Ho Rang has Won Seok who took her home after she passed-out and So Ji has to go somewhere for some work related matters I think.  I just don't get why JH is hesitant to go to So Ji's place even without her.  

I think Nam See will gonna fall first for JH.  She's becoming part of his algorithm.  It seems to me, he's beginning to feel the emptiness without JH  around.  He may not be attracted to her yet but the way I see it, he's beginning to form an attachment with her through being a perfect housemate for him.

Totally with you, this episode was so touching. Specially the scene at the bus station.  I couldn’t stop crying when she said “For 10 years this luggage got scratched up so much like me. It was shiny when I first came to Seoul whit it”
She compared herself with her luggage. She is scratched too and sad.

When he came bringing her scripts back, it felt like he was returning  her dreams back to her , at least for me and her decision to accept his proposal because he is the only person that needs her. 

OMG I really, really love this Drama

• Like 9

I must say I m loving the flow of the story.. I was dissapointed when at ep 2 she just right away said yes.. Then in third episode the much needed realisation y she should marry him was clarified.. I know SH is little eccentric B)but he is clear abt his needs n requirements n he knows only JH can satisfy his needs.. It's not always love that creates a relationship... It's the mutual needs too.. This needs can lead to love.. JH has never been needed by anyone her family too doesn't care if she exists or not, except her mom n friends.. It was the first time she was needed n she was felt worthy by a person so her satisfaction towards this relationship has increased.. I m waiting for their marriage n their marriage life together.:wub:

I loved how JH didn't take the excuses of the raper or his gang n stood on her ground.. it showed how strong is she.. 

I loved the friendship of the trio.. How they were comforting yet not nosy.. I loved their dance lol..:tongue: 

The other couple SJ n SG.. Poor SG:lol:.. She doesn't remember him lol.. SJ is really a strong woman but they also showed her low points which was great.B)

The other couple seems to be crumpling down.. They have love but they don't understand each others needs-_-

• Like 7

@Camillajames Soo Ji is being harassed too. The way her coworkers see her and the way who seems to be her boss made reference about her figure in the event and touched her in her shoulder in front of the guests. It was so aggressive. 

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Lmangla said:

randomly ended up reading this article and it sure makes modern dating sound super exhausting and made me think that maybe see hee's approach of just finding someone who is comfortable to watch a football game is the right approach? hahahahah.... it also made me wonder if the effect of working on a company where he writes the code for the dating app perhaps makes him more cynical and weary of navigating a relationship? or maybe his parents had a more traditional marriage and so he thinks why not?

ohhhh Thanks for the article!  I enjoy reading it.

You could be right.  I can see SH checking off boxes in his mind during dates and running the score even before he finished the first course.  It’s a case of knowing too much. But I also see SH as an anomaly in this high pace digital world.  We live in a society that thrive on instant connection, because of technology we can be mobile and do relationships on the run, connect and disconnect whenever we want. Ansari’s parents, don’t know, maybe they are doing it at the right pace.  They came into the relationship with the right expectation, taking time to know each other and have patience to pass though the peak of dopamine release during passionate love so their relationship lasts longer.  SH could be the same, aside from the brilliant mind at work, he’s actually a guy who likes to live life at a leisurely pace.  From the way he walks, to his reaction time, he is in no rush to force someone that he knows can fit into his world to be with him.  I think that’s why he brought up the neocortext concept of the cat cause he himself feel that he doesn’t have to fit into society and his mom’s timeline.  HAving JH moved in is the ideal situation since he is allowed to learn about her and hopefully falls in love with her based on his timeline. He is someone who fits the idea of traditional arranged marriage.  I like for him to experience passion with JH too. :D  To me, they are opposite brain hemisphere, his left logical one completes her right creative.

To your other question, I think for SH, the one who makes him feel comfortable is the one that makes him feel at peace.  For now, he equates peace to happiness so there is no need for passion and JH seems to be the person whom he can consider a partner.  question is what happen when what makes him happy change like @stroppyse said.  

@stroppysethat’s an interesting question.  Human change so unless our human nature is tunneled, monogamy still requires work. :)

• Like 9

I am enjoying this drama.

It isn't packed with razzle dazzle.

Instead it is self-assured and deliberate in the approach

You might even think it it on the verge of slipping into  being boring 

but it never does.

It is almost like a home cook meal.

There is nothing obviously exciting about it.

You might even approach it with a, "what again?"

Yet as you eat it you are engulfed in warmth and caring

At the end of it, you realize that the solidness of the experience has made you happy.

Despite all that loveliness

It is a truly bad idea to marry someone to whom your appeal is that you make a great scullery maid.

It is a bad idea to marry someone just because they "need" you.

It is a bad idea to marry someone you love who does not love you.  

I'm going to try to work around those bad romantic myth and continue to enjoy the show. 

• Like 11