Quantcast
sugarplum892

[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Story of Yan Xi’s Palace 延禧攻略

40 minutes ago, sharonfu18 said:

In Eps 34, if Fu Heng didn’t propose to marry Er Ching, do you think QL would have executed YL??? (Hmmm looking at his face expression at the summoning QL obviously looked angry but nervous as to how YL could survived that situation I thought). Anyhow interested to hear your thoughts 

Not sure but I don't think so. QL was worried when the guards took YL away to send her to prison. He probably said that he will execute her out of impulse. 

The only part that I feel he was serious about punishing YL was when he sentenced her to commit suicide so that she could join Fuca in death. Her words really hurt him and I think, he probably already given up on YL at this point (I think he gave up on her the moment Empress got pregnant but his interaction with YL when he was drunk in episode 38 speaks that there was still some lingering feelings for her) and that was why he also didn't hessitate to banish her to Yuan Ming Garden. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, harooxxx said:

Thank you so much @lyserose for your answers and efforts on translating that part to me.

Wonder if Fuheng knows about YL's intention to be a concubine because wants to revenge his sister death.

I was so mad and annoyed when watching ep 64. QL has been so mean to YL then suddenly he being nice to her lol after Chen Bi was defeated.

If I wasn't mistaken  Fuheng did came to know about her reason because when he convinced YL to return to Forbidden City, he said that whatever her reason was for becoming QL's consort, she needs to be his favourite. 

Lol. It's easy to misinterpret based on the jerky ways that QL behaved towards YL ever since they fell out starting episode 55. People around QL (except Li Yu) were all fooled by him, thinking that he was madly infatuated by Chen Bi, even claiming that Chen Bi's effect on QL was greater than YL. Even YL herself felt challenged and told MY that she was afraid, the fight to win QL back is not going to be easy this time around. But when you watch and understand the dialogue between QL and Chen Bi, it is clear that Chen Bi isn't even a competition to YL. He went to visit Chen Bi only for the reason to ask about YL. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sharonfu18 said:

Do you think Li Yu sided and helped YL with QL? Or Li Yu only priority was to make QL happy and pleased him? 

As QL's main servant, he of course is primarily interested in keeping QL happy and pleased, but the show did a good job (and was really funny) in showcasing how LY had a soft spot for YL. Some of my favorite moments included when LY was just so puzzled over how he's never seen QL act this way around a consort before and surprised about how he lets YL challenge him  so much (and treat him like an ordinary person).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sharonfu18 said:

Do you think Li Yu sided and helped YL with QL? Or Li Yu only priority was to make QL happy and pleased him? 

This question is funny. I think it's more of to make QL happy. Funny facts about LY:

1) He initially disliked YL because she was the one who got him to receive 30 beatings for failing to find the "tree scratching maid". 

2) He claimed to understand QL the most but it was De Sheng who first traced QL's interest in YL. 

3) LY was the one proposing to QL to kill YL when dealing with the matters of Prince Hongzhou. 

• Like 1

ep 13 and 70 (individual ep only) are  subbed on youtube ...and ep 9 on kseries.net ...6 and 8 only 50% on both sites.  Why would such a great drama not have subs ????????? :anguished:

• Like 1

@lyserose can you tell me a bit the dialogue between QL and Chen Bi when he visited her to ask about YL

And how did De Sheng found out that QL likes YL....what episode? 

Also what did he said when he was drunk?

----------------

I didn't noticed QL asked him to look for YL after the tree incident. I thought he looked for her because he was mad. Wonder did QL likes YL that time when he asked Li to fins her..

7 hours ago, harooxxx said:

I read that Imperial Noble Rank only reserved for concubine who have a good an prominent background and based on Consort Ling's background, she actually was not qualified to be the Imperial Noble Consort.

She was lucky within 15 years she became Noble Consort considering the fact she begun from lowest rank among all. Also i read she has her own garden given by QL? Is it true? She lived there and she cannot be seen by other men...only Emperor can.

In 1795, when she was promoted to Empress Xiaoyi then after 4 years, her title change to Empress Xiaoyichun...so QL promoted her first as an Empress in 1795 not in 1799?

---------------------------------

Why did all Empressess's name have Xiao..what is the meaning of this and do you know why Empress Ula-Nara only called by Step Empress and doesn't have Xiao on her title.

I have been wondering whether Yanxi Palace was the place Consort Ling live in like Fuca in Chang Chun Palace.? Was she live there for real?

And consort is actually consider as a wife and concubine as a mistress  to QL right?

Not sure about the garden.

Ok....Ling was posthumously promoted to Empress Xiaoyi in 1795. That was considered Empress already. The 2nd time in 1799 is like an enhancement to the name. Actually the full name is much longer....孝仪恭顺康裕慈仁端恪敏哲翼天毓圣纯皇后 but often in wiki, just used the 1st 2 char (Xiao - Filial Piety and Yi - probably means a certain grace) which is her initial one in 1795...then Chun (meaning Pure) Empress (Huang Hou).

Xiao or Filial Piety is the 1st char in almost all the Qing Dynasty Empress names after death. I think it's a fixed word to use though not sure about actual reason. Maybe it's to remind their descendants to be respectful to their parents?

Step Empress case....Qianlong is almost like I can leave u alive and with Empress rank intact....but all the honours eg in burial and prestigious records after death, i won't give u. I read he even removed all paintings of her. It's really very rare for an Emperor to act like this. Step is b'cos she is 2nd one after Fuca and since no official name for her empress rank, the later historians just use Step....or Ula Nara (her clan name, some historians also wrote as Hoifa Nara).

From what i read....Fuca did live in Chang Chun Palace....but the current Yanxi palace, i read the notice board outside and some records never mention Ling as one of the former occupants....so that part might be a mistake. Or she only lived there very briefly. 

No, only the Empress is considered wife. The rest are all considered same. The only difference is rank (consort, noble concubine etc are all just ranks). Looking at the terms...consorts/concubines are like recognised secondary wives....while mistresses are really like unrecognised and u hide them somewhere. Maybe it's applicable for some Princes' case. But for Emperor, it's just Empress vs the rest. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, hakunamatata8 said:

Hi

thank you so much to everyone in their various responses to this great show.As a non speaker, the views helped. 

I read in several forums somewhere that the empress fuca had asked WYL to help /or look after the emperor when she died.i have no recollection of this conversation. Anyone knows when or whic hepisode it took place? thanks

I also don't think so. Some viewers think so b'cos Fuca taught Yingluo caligraphy and poetry stuff....as if to help her please Qianlong later. But no. Fuca did guess QL start to fancy YL abit. But Fuca always thought of the best for YL and at the same time what suit her char....that's why she was hesitated even when come to YL and Fuheng together. Thus she also won't want YL to be trapped in the Forbidden City at all.

Add on about the Li Yu's part. Ya, his main job to serve the Emperor....and once he know who's in the Emperor's heart, who make him happy....he would help that person too....ultimately it's about QL.

• Like 1

By any chance, would you guys be kind enough to tell where to watch and/or download this with English Subtitles? And if not, any news of when the subtitles would be available?

2 minutes ago, Reigning Monarch said:

By any chance, would you guys be kind enough to tell where to watch and/or download this with English Subtitles? And if not, any news of when the subtitles would be available?

Unfortunately, there aren't really full subtitles yet. If you can access it, Youtube has a few episodes subbed (1-4 full, 5 & 6 are spotty, 7 basically full, apparently 13 but I haven't tested that yet, and the entirety of 70 is subbed).

I suspect the cantonese version from Hong Kong might have english subtitle.

One source of info is from Singapore Starhub channel which mention got english sub :

https://community.starhub.com/t5/Channels-and-Programmes/Subtitles-for-Yanxi-Palace-延禧攻略/td-p/163253

Starhub need payment and is only in Singapore. Well for any other source....I don't have time to search....and u know, might be illegal source.

This is a small question but what was the ceremony everyone was preparing for (which led to QL gifting YL the fox fur and eventually ended in EQ's death)?

12 hours ago, harooxxx said:

@lyserose can you tell me a bit the dialogue between QL and Chen Bi when he visited her to ask about YL

And how did De Sheng found out that QL likes YL....what episode? 

Also what did he said when he was drunk?

Ok, since I would go into details, please bear with the long post

Spoiler

First visit refers to episode 60, after the incident of YL saving CB during Princess He An's death anniversary. I have explained what he said in my earlier post. Anyway, CB claimed that QL was still angry with YL (even after knowing that YL saved CB) because YL lived her life as usual, seems not affected even when he lavished CB with favours. Just a little add on of my personal opinion on this dialogue... To me, even when QL has been with so many women, he himself barely understands women. To tell CB directly that he is using her to win YL back is definitely not a good idea. What kind of woman can accept that? Especially that woman understands that she would need to serve him for the rest of her life, even when she doesn't love him? It was from here that CB can tell already how important YL is to him, thus plotting her revenge on QL by using YL. 

Second visit was also in episode 60. He initially talked CB into normal conversation but since CB make no mention of YL, he asked her how was her visit at Yanxi and what has she learned from her training there? CB replied by saying that YL taught her so many things - embroideries, identifying drawings etc and said that YL basically knows everything. From here, you can see how QL really want to talk about YL to someone, and so he said YL knows a lot of things but a master of none and how during their good old days, he insisted for her to be specialized in something but the stubborn YL could always talk to do things her way. He asked CB if YL ever said anything about him? Here, CB played with QL's hope and seeing how she hesitated to answer, he said that he knew YL never once mentioned about him. CB then said, YL was just testing his patience but QL assumed that may be YL didn't care at all. CB convinced QL that someday, YL will pour out her true feelings for QL but the devastated QL said that is only possible if only he is in her heart. He's very insecure at this stage.

On De Sheng, he didn't really find out QL likes YL but he is the first one who guessed the possibility correctly. In episode 11, after the lychee and dog incident, QL thought that something was not right about the damaged lychee tree and he was angry that YL was using him to take revenge on Consort Gao and Consort Jia. He ordered LY to bring YL to see him so that he could punish her but shortly, call off the order, reasoning that YL did her best to protect Fuca. The confused LY  talked the thing to De Sheng and they both agreed how QL never hesitated to punish his officials but seem to spare YL a lot. De Sheng then made a wild guess that because YL is a woman and she is pretty, thus that could mean something (indicating that QL fancies her) but LY rebuffed the theory, saying that he understands QL the most and that could not be possible. De Sheng assured him that everything is possible and even when LY refused to buy the theory, he kept convincing himself that it is impossible for QL to fancy YL.

In episode 38, QL drank heavily on the death anniversary of his eldest son with Fuca (Fuca was pregnant with Prince Yongcong at this stage). Then, the drunk QL went to Chang Chun and calling out for Fuca but YL told him that Fuca was resting and asked if there was anything she could assist him with. Note that after the incident in episode 37 (where QL almost forced himself on YL), he never made any attempt on her anymore which, I assume is that he has given up his interest in her.

He said, Wei Yingluo is so "hateful/annoying" (sorry, I can't find the exact word) but why was that he's been dreaming about her a lot. When he looked at her face directly, pinching and pulling her features, he said that her beauty wins his heart but then, she is so cunning. He also said that she is a woman destined to be alone and would spend her lifetime serving in the palace and he has to support her (mean paying her salary) for the rest of his life. 

Interesting bit about this scene is that QL was right about ---- YL spending her lifetime in Forbidden City and yes, he ended up supporting her for the rest of his life. LOL. Also, this is why I think despite him giving up his interest in YL already at this stage, the lingering feeling is still there. She could still stir up his feelings somewhere.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, harooxxx said:

I didn't noticed QL asked him to look for YL after the tree incident. I thought he looked for her because he was mad. Wonder did QL likes YL that time when he asked Li to fins her..

He did. He told LY to look for the "tree scratching maid" with the intention to punish her, not because he liked her. QL first impression based on that incident is that the girl is very cunning and smart. That was why LY went to all departments and asked each maid to recite the phrase so that he could identify the maid based on her voice (Note that QL and LY didn't get to see YL's face during this encounter, only hearing her voice). YL got a pass because Aunt Liu (the supervisor seamstress) assisted her to escape. The first time that QL actually saw YL face is in episode 10 at Changchun Palace.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Can someone describe what is being said when QL and Fuheng have their swordfight in episode 47? I know part of it is about Yingluo but I've always wanted to know the details of it. Thank you so much in advance!!

2 hours ago, believed said:

This is a small question but what was the ceremony everyone was preparing for (which led to QL gifting YL the fox fur and eventually ended in EQ's death)?

If to go by the subtitles that I referred to, the ceremony is called "Worshiping the Goddess of Silk Worm"....Hahaha. Sounds funny. I think @Cedric Ong has the best answer for this since her chinese is perfection.

10 hours ago, Reigning Monarch said:

Unfortunately, none yet. K-series streaming portal is the one with the latest (up to episode 7, but episode 6 only 50% subbed). 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, believed said:

Can someone describe what is being said when QL and Fuheng have their swordfight in episode 47? I know part of it is about Yingluo but I've always wanted to know the details of it. Thank you so much in advance!!

Spoiler

QL was actually using the swordfight training to vent his anger on Fuheng. He asked Fuheng not to restrain himself when dueling with him. Initially, he only talked about official things with him, saying that Fuheng still keep things hiding from him. Fuheng then brought up about YL, telling him that QL knew that "if" it wasn't because he forbade their marriage, YL would have been his wife. This made QL mad. Fuheng said that QL is angry with YL because he was not part of her past. I can't remember exactly, but Fuheng said how back then, QL consistently claimed that YL is a vile woman who wanted to use Fuheng to upgrade her status (thus opposed their marriage) even when deep inside, QL knows that this is not true because if really YL was that mercenary, she could have targeted QL to elevate her status, not Fuheng (I interpret his way of saying that QL is angry that YL's past love for Fuheng is genuine and their history together is what bugging him). He said one of QL's concubines is a widow (not sure if she is with a child or not) yet he could accept her past, but could not do the same towards YL. It is because she is Wei Yingluo that QL reacted that way. He said, what QL feels at that moment is worry and jealousy, thus abandoning YL. Then, QL be reminded of Fuca's words to him (in episode 35) that he was so against Fuheng marrying YL because QL had fallen for YL and wanted to have her. Fuheng told QL that now, YL is his and so, he should appreciate her. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, lyserose said:

If to go by the subtitles that I referred to, the ceremony is called "Worshiping the Goddess of Silk Worm"....Hahaha. Sounds funny. I think @Cedric Ong has the best answer for this since her chinese is perfection.

Credit to the singapore museum...brief explanation. Silkworm worship ceremony was carried out by the Empress b'cos the wife of the ancient Yellow Emperor was said to be the silkworm goddess or more probably was one who discovered the usage of silkworm to produce silk. The ceremony is to get blessings for country welfare since silk cultivation is part of it...like farming,  fishing etc. 

https://discover.acm.stqry.com/v/silkworm/s/3f911401-3904-4019-b767-822f2ed77e57

For more details but in chinese only.

https://baike.baidu.com/item/亲蚕礼

• Like 1

thank yuo @lyserose for your answers. One scene puzzled me tho or rather teh words. In one scene, when WYL admitted to the Empress Dowager that it was a lie about B being the sister (this when evverything was settled), the ED walked away telling WYL that she " was very good" - just these 2 words. Couldnt get the subtext: was she prasing WYL that her scheme worked and congratulating her sarcastically. Without understanding the mandarin fully, I probably could not follow the conversation prior.