Quantcast
sugarplum892

[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Story of Yan Xi’s Palace 延禧攻略

Just wanted to say thanks for all the historical notes here. Am severely sleep deprived after watching ep 1-46 within 2 days. Thank god I didn't discover this drama earlier. I don't watch many Cdramas but seemed to have done it this year. This is my 4th Cdrama for 2018. 

What happened to Fu Heng in the end? Yeah yeah I couldn't take the suspense in the end yesterday. But didn't fully understand Hellancha. Thanks.

I don't have many comparisons since I watched modern or fantasy ones but this is beautifully costumed. I am probably as attracted to the setting as well as the clothing.

Have absolutely no clue who the cast is. But the actor playing QL actually looks like he could be an Emperor. I swear I saw a QL once who was so scrawny he had padded shoulders for his robe. Personally I am so on Fu Heng's side. So it is begrudgingly that I acknowledge that QL and WYL are believable together. Also as a side note its been a while since I have seen a < 50kg adult. The actress is skinny super skinny. I send patients who weigh that to be admitted to the weight disorder unit. But here, apparenly it is normal.

I sometimes feel sad as an overseas born Chinese we never learnt Chinese history in school. Or never learnt to write or read Traditional Chinese. Especially when I wander into Cdrama land.  My kids heritage- are from another East Asian nation- and I am more fluent and read/write theirs. Thank god that apparently Mandarin is the 2nd language option in school. Since Italian and French are the other usual options around here. The next generation might actually get a chance to be less Westernized.  

• Like 4

On 12/2/2018 at 2:50 AM, ck1Oz said:

What happened to Fu Heng in the end? Yeah yeah I couldn't take the suspense in the end yesterday. But didn't fully understand Hellancha. Thanks.

*Spoiler alert

Picking up where we left off episode 46...

Spoiler

The Emperor/Qianlong treating Yingluo coldly after seeing her with Fuheng. It was Fuheng who made QL realized a new kind of feelings that he never experienced before that is jealousy and all his current (cold treatment) and past action (forbidding their marriage) was made out of personal reason (because he fell in love with YL and wanted her for himself).

Until the end, Fuheng is that faithful one woman's man who remains loving YL unconditionally. Being married to Er Qing is a big misfortune - she not only bore an illegitimate son but also led his sister Empress Fuca to suicide. Fuheng died finding anecdote to cure YL. Before he died, he asked Hailancha to convey his last message to YL that is if she is willing to spend her next life with him and yes, YL promised him so.

So, there you have it. If you pit QL and Fuheng, it's so easy to root for Fuheng with all those qualities. But to me, my vote will always go to QL. His love for YL always being underrated due to his display of pettiness and arrogance (understandable because of his upbringing as an Emperor) and the many women in his harem, but then he has proven himself to be a wonderful match for YL every single step of the way.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@ck1Oz

Spoiler

Fuheng was fighting enemy army in the south in Yunnan. Knowing that Yingluo was poisoned in the boat rebellion incident, he went to get a special plant nearby which is known to cure all poison. Unfortunately he was poisoned himself by swamp gas and he didn't rest bcos of the ongoing battle. Before he passed away he got Hailancha to send back the plant and passed the message if she is willing to be with him in the next life. She didnt answer directly to Hailancha but later when alone, she said yes.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@lyserose and @Cedric Ong thanks.  I have  gone and watched  the  rest. And will rewatch  with subs. 70 ep. My brain is fried after doing  the marathon since Fri. Plus juggling family comitments and work.

Good drama. I still think  the costumes and acting are phenomenal  here. The background is just gorgeous.  I have  been  just pausing the episodes randomly  and every shot is beautifully  framed.  I am not  sure if I am in love with the drama but more so the whole  package.

But honestly  70 episodes  can't  be done in one hit. I am totally  drained. Thank God  I have a Korean  drama start on the weekend. Dealing  with the whiney complaining viewere who complain is almost relaxing after this.  I even have problems with the  princes at the end. Reading  the real  life history vs the  drama made my head  spin. Trying to keep up with  her ranks.

Still  it is a gorgeous, gorgeous  and luscious  drama.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2018 at 2:50 AM, ck1Oz said:

Just wanted to say thanks for all the historical notes here. Am severely sleep deprived after watching ep 1-46 within 2 days. Thank god I didn't discover this drama earlier. I don't watch many Cdramas but seemed to have done it this year. This is my 4th Cdrama for 2018. 

I don't have many comparisons since I watched modern or fantasy ones but this is beautifully costumed. I am probably as attracted to the setting as well as the clothing.

Have absolutely no clue who the cast is. But the actor playing QL actually looks like he could be an Emperor. I swear I saw a QL once who was so scrawny he had padded shoulders for his robe. Personally I am so on Fu Heng's side. So it is begrudgingly that I acknowledge that QL and WYL are believable together. Also as a side note its been a while since I have seen a < 50kg adult. The actress is skinny super skinny. I send patients who weigh that to be admitted to the weight disorder unit. But here, apparenly it is normal.

I sometimes feel sad as an overseas born Chinese we never learnt Chinese history in school. Or never learnt to write or read Traditional Chinese. Especially when I wander into Cdrama land.  My kids heritage- are from another East Asian nation- and I am more fluent and read/write theirs. Thank god that apparently Mandarin is the 2nd language option in school. Since Italian and French are the other usual options around here. The next generation might actually get a chance to be less Westernized.  

Don't you just love the colours, the costumes, the hair accessories, the sets - gosh everything! It is beautifully  packaged, very well lit and shot. The colours and lighting never appear harsh but are always pleasant and muted. Having seen the palace dramas like Zhen Huan and then the fantasy C-dramas like Eternal Love, its so rare to have this drama where the wardrobe/colours etc work so tastefully. Clearly this is a case of 'less is more', something which most C-dramas tend to miss. 

Like you, I'm an overseas-born Chinese and gosh, how my life would have changed if I had an addictive C-drama like this back when I was studying Chinese in school! I think my grades would not have hovered round the borderline fail mark for sure. I was never interested in Chinese history until recently, but this drama really drove home how little I knew but cemented how interested I was  - in the history, the culture, the architecture, the traditions. And there is a  growing sense of appreciation, indeed pride, that as a Chinese, I have a tenuous link to all this. 

As a follow-up, I went to Youtube to watch docus on the forbidden city and stumbled onto the restoration of QL's study - fascinating! 

• Like 3

I just started Yanxi a few weeks ago and cannot bear to spoil myself by reading all the comments. But still want to stop by this thread to fangirl hahaha

it’d been a while since I watched a cdrama and boy... I’m glad I choose this one up. I’m at ep30 (and has such a looooooong way to go) but i’m enjoying the drama so bad!

i was looking forward to how WYL became the emperors concubine, now that the emperor is noticing her more and more. 

And who else thinks that the emperor is even more good looking  than Fuheng? Like tenfold? :sweatingbullets:

Maybe it was just me. LOL. Maybe these idol-like men are just not my type. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Far^away said:

I just started Yanxi a few weeks ago and cannot bear to spoil myself by reading all the comments. But still want to stop by this thread to fangirl hahaha

it’d been a while since I watched a cdrama and boy... I’m glad I choose this one up. I’m at ep30 (and has such a looooooong way to go) but i’m enjoying the drama so bad!

i was looking forward to how WYL became the emperors concubine, now that the emperor is noticing her more and more. 

And who else thinks that the emperor is even more good looking  than Fuheng? Like tenfold? :sweatingbullets:

Maybe it was just me. LOL. Maybe these idol-like men are just not my type. 

Enjoy. I loved Yanxi. My first Chinese drama and I was so surprised how much I loved it. 

Btw agreed with you point about QL (emperor) over Fuheng. Hahaha

• Like 3

Hi all. Greeting from a new comer here :).  I came upon this drama last week and I can't get enough of it. Especially the Ying Lou and Emperor part. I don't know just how many times I have repeat their scenes. There are some viewers who wish for Ying Lou to end up together with Fuheng but not for me. I'm 31 this year. So, I found Emperor is more attractive compare to Fuheng. Yeah, Fuheng definitely more handsome but Emperor's maturity attract me more. Therefore, I'm glad Ying Lou and up together with Emperor. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kyoko22 said:

Hi all. Greeting from a new comer here :).  I came upon this drama last week and I can't get enough of it. Especially the Ying Lou and Emperor part. I don't know just how many times I have repeat their scenes. There are some viewers who wish for Ying Lou to end up together with Fuheng but not for me. I'm 31 this year. So, I found Emperor is more attractive compare to Fuheng. Yeah, Fuheng definitely more handsome but Emperor's maturity attract me more. Therefore, I'm glad Ying Lou and up together with Emperor. 

Hi! For me the emperor is not that matured but he is just as cunning as he accused WYL of. So they are actually perfect for each other. 

I’m at ep35 and was wondering what’s with Brother Yan. Can’t seem to figure out his motive... even though he told WYL his sappy  backstory. 

13 hours ago, sharonfu18 said:

Enjoy. I loved Yanxi. My first Chinese drama and I was so surprised how much I loved it. 

Btw agreed with you point about QL (emperor) over Fuheng. Hahaha

I actually loved palace story but after Bu Bu Jing Xin I stopped for a while because it’s too painful to watch. Haha. 

Then pick up The Kings Woman, thinking Bin Bin is too young as the huang di (even though he put up such a strong performance). 

And then Nie Yuan came as QinLong here and I’m in love. Just like wine, men who aged gracefully is just delicious. B)

• LOL 1

1 hour ago, Far^away said:

Hi! For me the emperor is not that matured but he is just as cunning as he accused WYL of. So they are actually perfect for each other. 

I mean, Emperor is more mature in face. Just like you said before, Fuheng is more idol-like. Therefore, I attract to Emperor more compare to Fuheng :). But I agree with you. Sometimes he can be very childish and petty. Especially when he sulked. And yes, the are perfect for each other. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, kyoko22 said:

I mean, Emperor is more mature in face. Just like you said before, Fuheng is more idol-like. Therefore, I attract to Emperor more compare to Fuheng :). But I agree with you. Sometimes he can be very childish and petty. Especially when he sulked. And yes, the are perfect for each other. 

Oh i thought you were referring to his character. 

I’m watching episode 36 and squealing so bad when Qianlong was touching her face!!!! Omg i literally squirm and biting my pillow like an idiot. 

Okay, off to episode 37. Bye. 

*update*

a few minutes into ep37 i was like whattttt?

Guess she wont be his until the empress dies. And I’m not looking forward to it. Ahh, my poor gentle empress. 

I so wanted to rip out Erqing eyes. The actress really did a good job. 

• Like 2

In case anybody missed me :tounge_wink: lol i've been in subbed heaven ...all of the episodes got subbed and of course i had to watch watch watch.   So many good lines that its impossible to list them all...But Favourite is from Ep 68 ...what change for consort Shu , she is in love with Ying Lou little son....how cute and how the times change .  And that line from her to WYL ' In the past when somebody offended you , you would poke a hole in the sky "   Priceless . 

• Like 2

I’m at episode 54 and for some reason i had lost my interest. :sweatingbullets: the only reason I’m watching is because I want to know how MingYu dies and I’m putting off the episodes as much as I can. *cries*

maybe it’s because WYL has won QL favour and their relationship dynamic stays the same. She sulk, he came and appease, he sulk and she came and appease. 

The cycle is too exhausting and while I love every single scene between WYL and QL... it’s becoming too predictable. 

Thank God the chemistry between those two is so strong. I’m loving and appreciating Nie Yuan so much for bringing QL alive. He won it big, big time. :wub:

• Like 2

Hi guys, I hope you don't mind if I join the discussion.

Finally, I have finished watching Yanxi.

I was looking forward to watch it from the start but the language barrier is real.

Hence, thanks for the translator to give us, international fans, an opportunity to enjoy the drama.

Back to the drama, I enjoy it very much. No boring plots.

Last time I enjoy watching C-drama is when 'sound of the desert' was aired long time ago.

The emperor is indeed worthy to become the emperor.

He has an intriguing character.

He is a capable emperor from the most distinguished family in the whole nation so it will waste time to openly love him like his other wives. The reason is he used to see everyone offer everything for him. Therefore, a pull and push game played by Wei Yingluo catch the emperor's attention. I don't dare to say WYL get his heart, she just get his attention.

As for Fuheng, he is the example of typical male lead, a devoted lover. 

I will say that he is the only person that get WYL's love.

She doesn't need to play any tricks with him.

In her critical time, when she almost dies, she has the illusion that Fuheng come to her.

She knows that Fuheng will always come in her critical time.

Yuan Chunwang is actually my favourite character in this drama.

His acting is intense, comparable with Nie Yuan.

His character is bordering between pyscho and sane.

He has a selfish love toward WYL. 

If he can't be with her, better to destroy her and go to hell together with him.

WYL gives him a lot of chances to be happy and free but he can't let go her and his past grudges. What a pity!

To the end, I still don't understand as why prince He loves the empress that even after she betrays him, he still loves her unconditionally? For what reason?  

• Like 1

The actor played Yuan really well. Consider the suffering Yuan went through, it is not surprising that he harbour psychotic destructive character. The difficult part is that the actor did not overplayed this. I think he was under appreciated. 

Actually in history, this emperor marked the decline of Ching dynasty. 

• Like 1

How could this drama became #1 in Google search? They cannot Google in China! So the whole China is excluded from this count.

Where are you watching from? 

• Like 1

I saw the book version being sold in my local bookstore but unfortunately I cannot read Chinese. :( I actually also came across the book version on Wattpad but in Vietnamese :bawling:. I am wondering if anyone knows where I can read the book version in English online? Just like how Love o2o can be read online. Pretty sure the book version would be more detailed.

2 hours ago, blessedchild said:

I saw the book version being sold in my local bookstore but unfortunately I cannot read Chinese. :( I actually also came across the book version on Wattpad but in Vietnamese :bawling:. I am wondering if anyone knows where I can read the book version in English online? Just like how Love o2o can be read online. Pretty sure the book version would be more detailed.

http://m.lewen.la/chapters_45595/7

I found the chinese version online. You need to read using google translate. Quite tricky but bearable. And yes, more detail. At least we know Emperor's innerthought.

On 12/16/2018 at 3:01 PM, kyoko22 said:

http://m.lewen.la/chapters_45595/7

I found the chinese version online. You need to read using google translate. Quite tricky but bearable. And yes, more detail. At least we know Emperor's innerthought.

Thanks @kyoko22. I have done some reading on the website. Quite surprised that the drma is almost 90% similar to the book. Wondering if anyone knows if there's anything which is not shown in the drama but is mentioned in the book?

Also, what are you guys' opinions as to when Ying Luo fall in love with the Emperor and also when the Emperor fall in love with Ying luo? :D

• Like 1

@blessedchild In the book there was this one scene where I think it was modified in the drama. It was the first time when Qianlong got jealous seeing Fuheng and Yingluo at the Imperial garden talking. Then she tried to make peace with him by dressing up as a girl who sells wine. In the book, she supposedly wears very seductive clothing to seduce him when he stopped by her palace. And he was very much seduced lol 

There were a lot of intimate scenes btw Qianlong and Yingluo in the novel but I think the drama producer/scriptwriter toned it down by a lot in the drama haha I mean... 6/7 babies must be the product of something right hahahah

• Like 1