Quantcast
Go Seung Ji

[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

th_tq.gif Thank you so much everyone for another round of great discussion and info (to read) about the king, the Righteous Army, the secret document, relations etc. Thank you for always bringing up good points to ponder and thoughtful replies that explain a lot of the situation in the drama more clearly. It is indeed an insightful film-level-discussion thread we have here, apart from the photos, cool artwork, trivia and fan- sharing all around. :wub:

Speaking of fan art, a nice collection by asong1101 

Spoiler

And.. of course.. it's the much-anticipated weekend! It's Saturday again and episode 9, we've been waiting! :lol:

mrsun_elbh2.gif

• Like 9
  • LOL 5

Hahahahaa @Ahpheng, I really thought it was a coffee CF strip.. like, totally! th_laughing.gifThose mini TVCFs in MR.SUNSHINE can't be more spot-on and just.. obvious.:P

Source: tvN / OSEN

The rickshaw date

ms205.jpg

• Like 16
  • LOL 1

13 hours ago, bedifferent said:

The Emperor did bring up the rumor of a slush fund during his talk with Minister Lee Se-hoon.  Minister Lee was trying to probe the secret that the Emperor kept close at heart.  He didn't confirm but didn't deny that the secret fund exists.

Interesting! I didn't catch this subtitle. I wonder who did subtitle here. Korean word he used could mean both secret fund and slush fund.

What we don't know is where his private wealth came from, since it has a bank note of 100k yen.  From the conversation with Eugene, Kyle seems to think that the money came from the ginseng and the railroad concession which is arguably not his private money.  At the time, history indicates Emperor granted concessions of mining, lumber, railroad, gold, ginseng to many countries including Japan, US, Russia.  In that conversation, Kyle implied that the fund is Joseon's money... not necessarily Emperor's.  It's pretty ambiguous but I can see why many people are considering it a slush fund.  I think for dramatic sake, KES left it implied.

Eh, in history, King Gojong on 1899 turned a lot of government assets as king's money to strengthen emperor's power. That includes ginseng and others. Historians said it wasn't smart move and Joseon wasted a chance to modernize. But, that makes all very much legal to spend them on whatever he wanted. 

On other note, the rickshaw date is making my heart warm. They look so good together and along with their walk last time, it's again nice that they're on the same level, comfortable. - Maybe Eugene is a bit awkward? He's holding oriental medicine , so they seem to be coming from apothecary so continuation from the ending of the last episode.

Edited by Berou
Please do not quote images. Thanks :)
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, rubie said:

Hahahahaa @Ahpheng, I really thought it was a coffee CF strip.. like, totally! th_laughing.gifThose mini TVCFs in MR.SUNSHINE can't be more spot-on and just.. obvious.:P

That's what I thought too when I saw the scene....LBH gonna have many offers for coffee CFs soon if not already.

@bedifferent  I will be happy if they can sit down and have a meal together, burger and fries sound good ! If there a suitable scene, I will put it in my c-strip, maybe the trishaw scene ? 

• Like 2
  • LOL 5

Shhh! @bedifferent, you're giving them PPL ideas! :lol:

Can't wait for the episodes this weekend, how the new comrade-couple continue their relationship with still so many uncertainties ahead. ;) Also, as it was mentioned by @mistymorning, the prevailing of chapter 2 for the drama.. the much-awaited action and the much-debated stoic-faced Eugene finally showing his emotions. What makes the usually calm and controlled Eugene Choi going after the Foreign Minister in public, and in broad daylight? :mellow: If not mistakenly guessed, something that Hee Sung's father told him about his mother's death, perhaps.

So, MR.SUNSHINE.. keep fighting! th_fight.gif For continuous high ratings and positive responses, that is.. and lesser scrutiny plus no more unnecessary negative articles.

• Like 10
  • LOL 1

17 hours ago, 122am said:

The secret document shows that the king has deposited $100,000 into the Russia bank, I think. From my understanding it shows that he feels the country is not safe, so he took out money to put into foreign bank. If he needs to run, he can run anytime, since now he has a "bank account". It would be like the King has made back-up plans in case the country falls, he can go somewhere. This shows that the country is very weak and even the King doesn't have confidence in his own country, a betrayal move to his people.

That's why Japanese people, Russians, and even USA will be interested in this paper as hard evidence, to blackmail the King. That way, the "Korean King can't sleep" as they repeatedly mentioned. Only when the paper is returned to the King, then the hunting for the document will stop. 

The freedom fighters do not have support from the King. I think AS's grandfather receives salary from the King, as an official / aristocrat. With his rich bank account, AS's grandfather will donate some money secretly to the freedom fighters when they are running low. AS Master (Gunner) is a rebel, as he stated in ep 7 or 8, he is working against the government of the country and not helping them. But they are fighting for freedom and safety of Korean people.

I think Hina is a double agent. I am not sure who wrote the note but in the previous few pages of this thread, someone did talk about it. 

Yes it's possible all main characters work together as a rebel 'freedom fighter' team, we just have to see what happens in ep 9-10. 

Oh wow, thank you for answering that chingu. I was wondering if the document was something good for the josean people or bad cause if the contents of the doc were leaked to the public, I was confused if it would receive bad or good reception. Seeing as how the king has basically put himself over the people, this would definetly anger not only the people but AS and her group as well right? I wonder how she would react. I know she is loyal to Josean, but is she loyal to the king?

Woah, so as double agent of you mean she works for Japanese but issecretly working for the king? Who is she really loyal to? So far we know DM is to Japan and EC to America. What about Russia? Since they seem to play a key role too as a possible enemy.

@bebebisous33 @bedifferent @mistymorning

So gunner jang is a rebel and Hina may be a double agent. AS has said to her master she would follow him, so maybe she may become a rebel to aka go against the king.

That all said, in trying to predict the ending of Joseans fate thanks to all these characters, will the monarchy system be removed as a whole and AS with freedom fighters and other characters help, EC in particular, establish a democracy by the people?

i always associated her loyalty to Josean as also her loyalty to the king. But now I am wondering if this is setting up for the end of a government ruled by a king now that the class system as mostly been abolished too. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

This series is a gem! LBH is such a compelling actor, and KMR, even at such young age, already shows good acting abilities! I can't wait to watch for the next episodes, but I just hope we get a happy ending for this drama.

• Like 10

4 hours ago, merlnpau said:

This series is a gem! LBH is such a compelling actor, and KMR, even at such young age, already shows good acting abilities! I can't wait to watch for the next episodes, but I just hope we get a happy ending for this drama.

isn't she 29 :)

28 minutes ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

isn't she 29 :)

Um.. It's like she is 28 if you count like we usually do but koreans are born 1 years old. So she is 29 years old by korean countings.

But I think the reference was to her acting experience that she can be considered as a *new face* in this industry.

• Like 4

I like this episode.

Some thoughts:

I like how Eugene teamed up with Gunner Jang, Ae Shin’s mentor, to take down Lee Sehun, the Joseon Foreign Minister. He helped Joseon to bring down a traitor who is working with the Japanese while also getting revenge for his parents. He is really strategic in how he planned and executed the whole thing. I think Eugene would made a very good leader for the Righteous Army. 

He also finally told Ae Shin his life story but warned her  that they must part ways after he had finished his story. He told her that he was the son of a slave. It seems he is still hung up and affected by his origins. And the episode ended without hearing her response to his story. 

• Like 11

Let's make a bet.

How long do you guys think they can last being apart from each other?? ;)

• Like 6

I'm dead. dead.....so many emotions. Feel like I'm on roller coaster following LBH's change of mood and such fine acting. Started so sweet and ended so bitter. 

Hope I don't see Eugene really leave Aeshin tomorrow :tears:

• Like 3
  • Sad 5