Quantcast
Jump to content
Go Seung Ji

[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Recommended Posts

52 minutes ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

there was no one to show kindness to DM.. EC atleast had joseph.. and america in general

How can you say that EC “atleast had America” when we saw how he was treated everyday, he was beaten and humiliated every single day. It was probably horrible to live in America at that time because he was “different” and we all know how Americans treated people who were different in those times. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

4 hours ago, rubie said:

Meanwhile, the fate of the Joseon was in Eugene's hands. He had the certificate of deposit, which was what Dong-mae was looking for. Eugene wondered who Dong-mae really was.

 

Eugene thought hard about Hee-seong. Then, he went to Ae-shin and asked her to love him.

This was ddddddaebak episode, culmination of all the set ups in the first 5 eps. There were so many amazing scenes - the trio at the bar is the new Korean classic standard - Byun Yohan is da bomb! The horse jump over the p**ck who punches his servant girl was such a cider moment. I only could wish that the horse could jump and 'shoot' at the same time.

Too bad the subbed ending is not available yet. The ending reminded me of this recently famous declaration, only more serious and possibly carrying dual motives on  EC's part.

  tumblr_p7mzplU5yV1valxs7o5_400.gif   tumblr_p7mzplU5yV1valxs7o8_400.gif  

You can substitute Eugene Choi's word 'lo-bu' with 'husband' and it almost works. Ha ha sorry for my recycled gif trolls. I think @zba72 might be the only one who appreciates it.:naughty:

  • Like 5
  • LOL 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh God, I’ve said before that I want Aeshin to seriously get hurt and Eugene to actvate war-mode inside him. After watching the last scene in which he agreed to do “love” together, I wanted it even more. The look in his eyes is clearly revenge. I want him to see her get hurt and feel the excruciating pain inside his heart. He would condemn himself for trying to use her as a part of his revenge. I hope this plot doesn’t drag for too long because, man, I can’t imagine Eugene hurting her. He loves her. He really does. He won’t and of course, he can’t let anyone including himself hurt her. I have my faith in you, Captain !

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

July 23, 2018

 

'Mr. Sunshine' embroiled in history distortion dispute 
 

e8e7dd8a15d745a4921b2cf91c725ceb.jpg

Yoo Yeon-seok in tvN drama "Mr. Sunshine" / Courtesy of CJ ENM

 

By Park Jin-hai The Korea Times

 

The romance drama "Mr. Sunshine," which has been enjoying a strong response from drama fans, has been dragged into a history distortion dispute. 

 

The much-anticipated show, written by star writer Kim Eun-sook, has been accused of being an apologist for pro-Japanese collaborators before Japan's colonial rule of Korea as well as being based on historical inaccuracies. 

 

The 24-part drama, set in Korea in the late 1800s and early 1990s before the Japanese occupation, tells of a wartime romance between Korean-born U.S. Marine Eugene Choi (played by veteran actor Lee Byung-hun) and Ko Ae-shin (Kim Tae-ri), a daughter of a family opposing Japanese imperialism. 

 

The first controversy has been raised by Yonsei University professor Oh Young-Seob, who said some of the basic historical facts portrayed in the 40 billion won-budgeted drama were wrong. 

 

He said the drama incorrectly showed Americans staying in Korea before the 1871 U.S. States expedition to Korea, and a scene in which female lead Ko, a member of the righteous army, assassinating an American is also based on incorrect information, because at that point the independence movement fighters didn't harbor hostility toward Americans. 

 

It left some regrets that the drama, which airs globally through Netflix, spent so much on high-end cinematography but lacked research and consultation on the historical setting. 

 

Bigger disputes followed with the character Koo Dong-mae, played by Yoo Yeon-seok, a boy from a lower-class butcher family, went to Japan and returned to Korea as a member of notorious the Black Dragon Society.

 

Many people pointed out the organization was historically pro-Japanese. The society is suspected of being involved in the assassination of Empress Myeongseong, wife of King Gojong. 

 

The sub male lead character, who secretly loves Ko, was featured having no choice but to become a pro-Japan collaborator because the country abandoned him first, justifying his cruelty. Viewers were uncomfortable with some scenes depicting the 1392-1910 Joseon Kingdom as an uncivilized country being introduced to electricity, hotels and trains thanks to Western powers. 

 

As the controversy continues, drama's production crew stated, "It was said that the character of Koo Dong-mae romanticized the pro-Japanese stance, and that it didn't reflect the true historical context of the time. So we modified the entire character. The parts we've already finished filming will be modified according to the new character description as well." 

 

Koo's Black Dragon Society was changed to a fictional name. 

 

On July 16, a petition appeared on the Cheong Wa Dae website calling on the government to prevent factual errors in period dramas. The petition stated, "In the historical facts that there are definite perpetrators and victims, Joseon was not depicted as a victim of colonization but instead one that invited it. Koo Dong-mae's character is a villain but by showing reasons why he had to join the pro-Japanese organization, his actions have been justified." 

 

As of today, more than 20,000 people joined the online petition. 

 

"Many recent fantasy period dramas have made many viewers regard period dramas as more dramatized than historic. But the Japanese occupation is one of the most sensitive eras because it holds a historical perspective that is connected directly to the present day," said Jung Duk-hyun, a culture critic.


jinhai@ktimes.com 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, meechuttso said:

 

You can substitute Eugene Choi's word 'lo-bu' with 'husband' and it almost works. Ha ha sorry for my recycled gif trolls. I think @zba72 might be the only one who appreciates it.:naughty:

 

@meechuttso LOL ... how can i forget !  I still miss them :wub:

 

I forgot to mention apart from Aeshin fanboys gathering, i really enjoy watching this scene.  Logan’s widow holds no bar and lashed out at that annoying traitor.  Serves hin right KWIM?  Btw, is he Hina’s dad?  i read somewhere that says he is her dad.  

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@rubie Thanks for the article. :wub: Honestly, I am at loss... people are upset that "Joseon wasn't depicted as a victim of colonization". To me, the story is quite well written as it explains very well why Joseon became a colony of Japan. Through the example of Joseon, we can observe the imperialism of Western countries (Russia, USA, GB, France) and also Japan. Yet only to say that Japan was responsible is not entirely correct. It is far too simple. The political situation of Joseon played a part as well. And let just say that in all countries occupied by Foreign forces there will always be people who support the occupant (invader). During WWII, in France many French people helped Germans for different reasons: ideology, profit, opportunity, aso. That's why I feel that this drama is really good: all the characters are flawed and heroism is not magnified. 

GDM is not romanticized at all as it is clearly shown that he uses violence and cruelty in order to gain respect. The Japanese are shown in a bad light, just like the other Western countries. On the other hand, we watch a drama hence this is clear that some characters are fictive.   

  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@rubie Oh well.. I think they're expecting a real life documentary rather than a "mere" drama instead.

 

tenor.gif?itemid=10978886

 

No wonder there is disclaimer at the begining now.

 

Despite they are having a grudge towards Japan occupation, I think it's not fair to judge/demand KES as their pleases.

 

This is a work of creativity. As such, we may see words, concepts, scenes, actions, behaviors, pictures, implements, and people that may or may not be socially acceptable and/or offensive.

 

I believe KES only exercising her right to exploit, abuse, and mangle the characters to HER discretion in HER story in HER interpretation as a writer.

  • Like 10
  • LOL 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, viktormani said:

How can you say that EC “atleast had America” when we saw how he was treated everyday, he was beaten and humiliated every single day. It was probably horrible to live in America at that time because he was “different” and we all know how Americans treated people who were different in those times. 

I mean he rose through the ranks in American military so was not hated as bad as DM in my eyes.

 

1 hour ago, meechuttso said:

 

This was ddddddaebak episode, culmination of all the set ups in the first 5 eps. There were so many amazing scenes - the trio at the bar is the new Korean classic standard - Byun Yohan is da bomb! The horse jump over the p**ck who punches his servant girl was such a cider moment. I only could wish that the horse could jump and 'shoot' at the same time.

Too bad the subbed ending is not available yet. The ending reminded me of this recently famous declaration, only more serious and possibly carrying dual motives on  EC's part.

         

You can substitute Eugene Choi's word 'lo-bu' with 'husband' and it almost works. Ha ha sorry for my recycled gif trolls. I think @zba72 might be the only one who appreciates it.:naughty:

 

where are your gifs from/

 

1 hour ago, rubie said:

 

As the controversy continues, drama's production crew stated, "It was said that the character of Koo Dong-mae romanticized the pro-Japanese stance, and that it didn't reflect the true historical context of the time. So we modified the entire character. The parts we've already finished filming will be modified according to the new character description as well." 

 

 

Wonder what this will mean for the character of DM.. im nervous.

 

The rest is just stupid to me its based on fictional characters. 

 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Wotad said:

 

 

This picture and the quote “I’m someone who will always understand even if you turn your back on me hundred times ,My Lady”. - is just so impactfull. 
 

 

Sorry to cut your post short, i want to ask did DM said that when he grabbed her skirt? Because the subtitle translated what DM said differently  ".... that's the only way..."  well i don't know what it meant also :D

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have this love/hate relationship to KES's dramas... sometimes it works for me but more often it doesn't... I always get annoyed with her heroines because they usually don't have a lot of agency and is always used as a prize for the male lead... which really annoys me. Also, I hate it when her heroines are just so darn immature and almost borderline stupid so I would despise them which is not how I want to enjoy my kdramas lol.

When I start to watch Mr Sunshine, I thought I would just check it out to see if I would like it and also I got curious because I heard this is her first time making a historical drama... Growing up, I devour lots of historical fiction romance novels so I felt this is right up my alley and I will be able to tell immediately if I like it or not.

So far, I am loving the story and the characters that she has written... There is not one character in the drama that annoys me...yet. Also, I can actually see a possible series to be made for the world that she has created with the backdrop of the time period that she has chosen... All my favorite Historical novels were usually part of a series.... and somehow this drama is making me remember one particular favorite series called The Disputed Lands Series because that is what Joseon looks like to me in the drama, with lots of warring nations/clans and only the powerful wins. I am already imagining that this drama is the first part of a three or four part series, and that the first part will be all about Eugene and Ae Shin's love story with the other characters still major players and yet later on they will also be lead of their own story in the next part of the series... and as the series goes on with Dong Mae, Hui Seong, Hina also finding their own true love then the culmination will be that they will finally win and Joseon no longer a disputed land but a free nation... I'm already thinking the next part will be Hui Seong's love story with EC and AS, Hina and Dong Mae as supporting characters, then maybe the third/final part will be Dong Mae and Hina ending up together and a defeat of Lee Wan Ik as the ultimate enemy or something... hahaha...Oh by the way, I paired Hui Seong with Ae Shin's cousin lol...And they were able to achieve their freedom and won... all because of these three unions ha ha ha I know it's very cheesy but that is what happen in more ways than one to that historical novel series that I read... how I wish KES would make it like that because I really like all these characters and I want them to team up to protect Joseon... 

 

  

 

 

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

July 23, 2018

 

Mr. Sunshine: Episode 5

 

by dramallama Dramabeans.com

 

sunshine-05-00047.jpg

 

The plot continues to take a back seat as we delve more into Eugene’s exploration of his intentions. While he outwardly claims to be an American soldier, he finds himself sympathizing with the Joseon people. His curiosity about the powerless Joseon people — some blissfully frivolous like Hee-sung and others who are fiercely loyal like Ae-shin — seems to drive some of his indecision about whose side he’s on, whether he’s either a traitor or a patriot, and how he defines his loyalties.

 

More at DB ~

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, 12blbl said:

 

Sorry to cut your post short, i want to ask did DM said that when he grabbed her skirt? Because the subtitle translated what DM said differently  ".... that's the only way..."  well i don't know what it meant also :D

The quote is from another time he didnt say it during that scene but i think that quote along with that scene is just magic ;p 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@USAFarmgirl Eugene almost always maintained a stoic face in first few eps, almost all my screencaps were of him looking the same. Like you said, AS has the ability to bring out the boyish side of him and we finally see EC's priceless grin ! 

@inna75 thanks , glad you liked the strip. 

  • Like 6
  • LOL 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Wotad said:

The quote is from another time he didnt say it during that scene but i think that quote along with that scene is just magic ;p 

 

1 hour ago, 12blbl said:

 

Sorry to cut your post short, i want to ask did DM said that when he grabbed her skirt? Because the subtitle translated what DM said differently  ".... that's the only way..."  well i don't know what it meant also :D

 

Actually that was a mistake / misheard on our part, sorry ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ when watching the making of, I thought he said  "백번을 돌아서도 이해하는 분입니다, 애기씨" (baegbeon-eul dol-aseodo ihaehaneun bun-ibnida, aegissi) since I also saw some k-fans quoted that phrase and with limited context I thought it meant that. But when the episode was released only I get to know that he actually said which was "백 번을 돌아서도 이 길 하나뿐입이다, 애기씨" (baeg beon-eul dol-aseodo i gil hanappun-ib-ida, aegissi) which literally means something like "even though I turn around one hundred times, this is the only way there is, My Lady"(?)(and Netflix put a smoother version of the translation, I guess). We've put a caption to correct it on the youtube video (click on cc). Again, sorry for the mistakes and making people misled ㅠㅠㅠㅠ 

 

 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's understandable AS threw away her skirt, she didn't has any good impression with him at all and treat him as a traitor and a stranger lol and DM indeed invade her personal space,  perhaps she felt disrespected as a lady. 

 

But that AS-DM's scene made me hooked to continue watching this drama lol

 

Anyway anyone know what's the meaning of the sentence which DM said to AS? I don't get it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Wotad said:

I mean he rose through the ranks in American military so was not hated as bad as DM in my eyes.

 

 

I don't know about "not hated as bad..."

 

It's true that it is shown EC finally getting some respect once he joined the US army and started winning battles, but it's interesting that the drama doesn't treat us to any happy memories of him prior to that. And even after he finally seems accepted, by then he has turned into such a stern and stoic person, he's so cold to everyone, and his heart has grown colder, too. Given how he was bullied on the streets and we never saw him in a warm, cozy house in his childhood and teenage years, I thought the American that helped him come to the US had abandoned him. I was surprised to see, in episode 5 or 6, that they were still in touch, and that they actually shared a warm friendship. I guess EC was left to fend for himself as a kid because the man (I forgot his name) had to keep traveling back and forth to Korea for his job.

 

EC rose through the ranks in the American military, but a case can be made for DM rising through the ranks of his gang as well, though compared to EC he inspires more fear than respect in the people around him.

 

It's amazing the similarities that they share in their life stories. Their almost like twins (both wanting revenge?) living on opposite sides, with one who seems to live an honorable life, and the other also in a position of authority, but being a gangster. There's a bromance in the making here, though I don't know how short-lived it will be (again, at the end of the day they're on opposite sides. AS might be the gluing factor.). The dialogue in the bar scene with HS was hilarious. :D 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, viktormani said:

How can you say that EC “atleast had America” when we saw how he was treated everyday, he was beaten and humiliated every single day. It was probably horrible to live in America at that time because he was “different” and we all know how Americans treated people who were different in those times. 

by "atleast had America" i mean, issues in america are very different than Japan

 

The fact that we are shown black in army while EC is a kid tells you that the system had started improving. Also, he was being bullied (as orphans were or a weak kid will be even today.. think oliver twist).. as any weak kid would be.. his problems were not as rooted in him being asian or low class as were DM's.

 

If they try to kill EC in front of policemen, do you think police would allow? Do you think someone will not eat from a plate just because a lowclass EC ate from it?.. and EC can appreciate these small things because he escaped that society.. DM just moved to a similar society

 

and the fact that EC became a head in army (forces where these prejudices would be worst) tells you America atleast allowed a person to dream to live a respectable life..and he is living it..

 

US Vs Japan is a huge factor 

 

4 hours ago, ari_bian said:

I have this love/hate relationship to KES's dramas... sometimes it works for me but more often it doesn't... I always get annoyed with her heroines because they usually don't have a lot of agency and is always used as a prize for the male lead... which really annoys me. Also, I hate it when her heroines are just so darn immature and almost borderline stupid so I would despise them which is not how I want to enjoy my kdramas lol.

When I start to watch Mr Sunshine, I thought I would just check it out to see if I would like it and also I got curious because I heard this is her first time making a historical drama... Growing up, I devour lots of historical fiction romance novels so I felt this is right up my alley and I will be able to tell immediately if I like it or not.

So far, I am loving the story and the characters that she has written... There is not one character in the drama that annoys me...yet. Also, I can actually see a possible series to be made for the world that she has created with the backdrop of the time period that she has chosen... All my favorite Historical novels were usually part of a series.... and somehow this drama is making me remember one particular favorite series called The Disputed Lands Series because that is what Joseon looks like to me in the drama, with lots of warring nations/clans and only the powerful wins. I am already imagining that this drama is the first part of a three or four part series, and that the first part will be all about Eugene and Ae Shin's love story with the other characters still major players and yet later on they will also be lead of their own story in the next part of the series... and as the series goes on with Dong Mae, Hui Seong, Hina also finding their own true love then the culmination will be that they will finally win and Joseon no longer a disputed land but a free nation... I'm already thinking the next part will be Hui Seong's love story with EC and AS, Hina and Dong Mae as supporting characters, then maybe the third/final part will be Dong Mae and Hina ending up together and a defeat of Lee Wan Ik as the ultimate enemy or something... hahaha...Oh by the way, I paired Hui Seong with Ae Shin's cousin lol...And they were able to achieve their freedom and won... all because of these three unions ha ha ha I know it's very cheesy but that is what happen in more ways than one to that historical novel series that I read... how I wish KES would make it like that because I really like all these characters and I want them to team up to protect Joseon... 

 

  

 

 

 

do you want to bet that's exactly what is going to happen..

 

KES is not going to delve deeper or enrichen these characters.. she puts her best in initial episodes..

 

AS has no connections or comrades for a cause.. she just has her mentor..

the boys fair better..

 

i am really curious, how much will KES actually deviate from her usual formula.. for now chances look slim.. 

Edited by Jillia
Please do not post consecutively, edit you previous post instead. Thanks! :)
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like some of the people who commented before, I am baffled by the defence of DM as a character, although I find the discussion about him extremely interesting and illuminating. So why exactly do people relate to DM (except for his looks and his unfortunate childhood)? We do not talk about the child DM, but the adult DM.

 

He is a thug, a yakuza member (or gang member), who, if left by himself, can kill people almost indiscriminately. (See the episode in which he hears about the return of the fiancee and starts beating other people). He is unnecessarily cruel, or even sadistic (see how he mutilated the woman who humiliated him as a child). In my opinion, DM does not have any excuse for what he does now. He inflicts more pain on people who are already in pain and suffer and he only thinks of himself. There is already a lot of violence in a poor community, DM is just an instrument of increasing that violence.

Does DM act like he does because he needs to survive? No, he acts like he does because he can. He can be sadistic, he can mutilate, he can kill without impunity and so he does it if it pleases him. He is different from the slave servant that beat the child Eugene, at least that guy was a slave, for whom it was hard to say no to his master. But DM actively offers his services to those in power for more looting and crime.

 

I do not have issues with DM's lack of allegiance to his country, but I find it problematic that he does not show any sympathy for the poor and the marginalized ones.

 

I find the introduction of a point of view that is neither of the higher class, nor of the army, nor of the thugs, to be the most interesting aspect of the story so far. I loved what the bad servant said to Eugene in the last episode: you cannot carry your revenge only on the weak, because they are not the only one who did wrong; go after the powerful ones too. I also liked what the gunner said to Eugene about how for the poor people, there is not much difference between the violence of the Japanese and the American army. There is also the potter, who helped Eugene, but did not take anything in return, although he does not show the same restraint with the rich ones.

 

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, tzupi said:

 

 

 

Do you not think the Women who humiliated him as a child deserved what she got, i personally think those women which treated DM and his family as worse then dogs deserved what they got.  He has perfect excuses for who he is and what hes doing , why should he care about a country that did not care about him. The only person who ever cared about him was AS which is why hes infatuated with her. I think he did join the Yakuza to survive its similar to Eugene joining the military to survive. 

 

Why should he show any sympathy for the poor when hes basically void of all emotions apart from when it comes to AS. This character is lost and lonely and does deserve sympathy for having a country that totally let him down. 

 

During these times Power was everything which is why DM and Eungune got powerful. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...