Quantcast
Go Seung Ji

[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

July 5, 2017

Kim Tae Ri Of “The Handmaiden” Cast In Writer Kim Eun Sook’s Drama Alongside Lee Byung Hun

Source: Soompi by C. Oh

kim-taeri.jpg

On July 6, an industry source confirmed that actress Kim Tae Ri from director Park Chan Wook’s film “The Handmaiden” will be starring in writer Kim Eun Sook’s next project, “Mr. Sunshine.”

Many were curious as to who would be playing the lead female role opposite of actor Lee Byung Hun, who was confirmed as the male lead for “Mr. Sunshine” earlier on. The casting of Kim Tae Ri as the female lead is heightening anticipation even more, as she earned high praise for her acting prowess in “The Handmaiden.”

The drama is set in the early 1900s, before the Japanese occupation of Korea (1910-1945). “Mr. Sunshine” will tell the story of soldiers whose stories are not recorded anywhere in history. Writer Kim Eun Sook, who has written hit dramas like tvN’s “Goblin” and KBS’s “Descendants of the Sun,” previously stated that it was a topic she had wanted to write about for a long time.

The drama is set to air in the first half of 2018.

Source (1)

• Like 2

July 6, 2017

Kim Tae-ri to star with Lee Byung-hun in period drama

Actress Kim Tae-ri has been cast alongside actor Lee Byung-hun for the upcoming drama series “Mr. Sunshine” (tentative title), slated to air early next year.

Kim will be the female lead in the show, a melodrama about a Joseon-era man who becomes an American soldier and returns to the country that abandoned him, the show’s production company Hwa and Dam Pictures said Thursday. Kim will play the daughter of a Joseon-era nobleman.

The show will mark the small screen debut of Kim, who starred in last year’s Park Chan-wook thriller “The Handmaiden” alongside Kim Min-hee.

The 27-year-old actress will play the love interest of the character of actor Lee, 47.

20170706000886_0.jpg
Kim Tae-ri (Herald Pop)

“Mr. Sunshine” is penned by Kim Eun-sook and directed by Lee Eung-bok, the duo that created smash hits “Descendants of the Sun” and “Guardian: The Great and Lonely God.” 

By Rumy Doo (doo@heraldcorp.com

• Like 3

July 7, 2017

Kim Tae-ri cast in latest Kim Eun-sook drama

By Kim Jung-kyoon INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

user posted image

The hottest newcomer to the film industry, Kim Tae-ri, and top male actor, Lee Byung-hun, will star together in an upcoming drama written by famed scriptwriter Kim Eun-sook. 

On Thursday, the production company behind upcoming drama “Mr. Sunshine,” Hwa & Dam Pictures, officially announced Kim Tae-ri’s role as the protagonist for Kim Eun-sook’s new project. 

Lee announced his involvement in the project on June 24. 

The drama will be Kim Tae-ri’s first television role since she made her breakthrough debut in last year’s “The Handmaiden.” 

For Lee, this is a return to television for the first time since the 2009 drama “IRIS.” 

The casting of not one, but two of the hottest actors in the industry was made possible due to the star-making power of Kim Eun-sook. 

Kim is easily regarded as the best dramatist in the industry, churning out hit after hit including “Lovers in Paris” (2004), “Secret Garden” (2010), last year’s “Descendants of the Sun” and the recent mega-hit, “Guardian: The Lonely and Great God.”

The upcoming drama centers on the story of the righteous army in the 1900s, which worked for Korea’s freedom and independence. The drama is set to be broadcast in the first half of 2018. 

July 6, 2017

Kim Tae-ri to star in "Mr. Sunshine" with Lee Byung-hun

Source: Newspim via HanCinema.net

photo865138.jpg

Actress Lee Tae-ri is starring in writer Kim Eun-sook's "Mr. Sunshine".

"Mr. Sunshine" is a human mellow film about the army that isn't recorded in history but we must remember about, based in the 1990s. It is written by Kim Eun-sook and directed by Lee Eung-bok.

Lee Byung-hun was cast earlier on and his co-star will be Kim Tae-ri.

Chemistry between the two is highly anticipated and her role in "The Handmaiden" helped to land her this role.

"Mr. Sunshine" will be released in early 2018.

• Like 3

Published on July 7, 2017 by K STAR 생방송 스타뉴스

Mr. Sunshine: Kim Tae Ri, Kim Eun Sook's new star

• Like 2

Im so richard simmons happy with three confirmed cast already! 

What a coincidence, last night i rewatch warm and cozy, last week watching reply 1994.. im so happy he is confirm to join Mr sunshine :D 

I saw YYS on love, lies movie, his fashion style might be similar with that movie. Since it said this drama will be set before Japan rules.. :D (but i always love YYS style :tongue:)

cant wait for YYS couple?!

because i love all second couple on KES drama, since dots..LOL.. 

but? In the news it said he will fall in love with Kim tae ri character, i smell love triangle... i dont feel good :( if one of my favorite have tragic ending.. they should cast another female lead for YYS Please! (Chilbongie era already passed!!)

NO.4 trending topic on naver! KNETZ LOVE THIS NEWS!!

http://entertain.naver.com/ranking/read?oid=241&aid=0002689457&rankingType=default&rankingDate=20170710

IMG_4937.jpg

SOOMPI NEWS

July 9, 2017

Yoo Yeon Seok To Join Kim Tae Ri And Lee Byung Hun In Upcoming Drama

DY_Kim

Yoo Yeon Seok is will be joining the lineup of writer Kim Eun Sook’s next drama“Mr. Sunshine”!

On July 10, the actor’s agency King Kong by Starship revealed, “Yoo Yeon Seok is confirmed to star in ‘Mr. Sunshine’ as Goo Dong Mae.” Lee Byung Hun and Kim Tae Ri were previously confirmed for the drama.

“Mr. Sunshine” is a melodrama set from 1900 to 1905 which will tell soldiers’ stories that should be remembered but haven’t been recorded in history. Yoo Yeon Seok will play the role of Goo Dong Mae who falls in love with Kim Tae Ri’s character and puts everything on the line for her.

Yoon Ha Rim, CEO of the drama’s production company Hwa & Dam Pictures, commented, “I have always watched his acting with interest as he absorbs and adapts with his own color rather than limiting himself to the genre or character, and now we will be working with him for ‘Mr. Sunshine.’ I have high anticipation for his acting that will make another transformation through this project.”

“Mr. Sunshine” is scheduled to air in the first half of 2018.

Source (1)

• Like 7

Yoo Yeon-seok joins Mr. Sunshine as tragic second lead

by girlfriday

DEWxAFqUMAAeLgn.jpg

Good news: Yoo Yeon-seok (Romantic Doctor Teacher Kim) is coming back in a new drama, and it’s hit writer Kim Eun-sook’s upcoming blockbuster period drama Mr. Sunshine. Bad news: He’s been cast to play a tragic character who falls in love with the heroine. Nooooooooo. How could anyone cast Yoo Yeon-seok as a second lead after what we all went through with Chilbongie? I CANNOT DO THAT AGAIN. Why would you make me do that again?!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

http://www.dramabeans.com/2017/07/yoo-yeon-seok-joins-mr-sunshine-as-tragic-second-lead/

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

July 10, 2017

Yoo Yeon-seok cast in next drama penned by ‘Guardian’ writer

Yoo Yeon-seok has scored the lead male role in the next show by hitmaker scriptwriter Kim Eun-sook, who penned “Descendants of the Sun” and “Guardian: The Great and Lonely God.” 

Yoo has been cast as the lead of “Mr. Sunshine,” set to air early next year, according to reports. 

20170710000419_0.jpg
Yoo Yeon-seok (King Kong Entertainment)

Yoo is to play the “intriguing anti-hero” Dong-mae, reports say, a character who is born to a low class family in Korea in the 1900s, and escapees to Japan in pursuit of a new life. 

“Mr. Sunshine” is a melodrama drawing on the righteous army, who fought against the Japanese in 1900s Korea. 

The show is directed by Lee Eung-bok, who also helmed the hit dramas “Descendants of the Sun” and “Guardian: The Great and Lonely God.” It will further star Lee Byung-hun and Kim Tae-ri. 

Yoo debuted in Park Chan-wook’s well-received neo-noir “Oldboy” in 2003 and has since starred in films such as “Architecture 101” and drama series such as “Reply 1994” and “Romantic Doctor Kim.” 

By Rumy Doo (doo@heraldcorp.com

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

NOOOOOO!!!! YYS confirmed his role as a TRAGIC second male lead. I dont mind him being a second lead as he can shine equally as the main lead but the keyword is TRAGIC! does that not send alarm bells to him. This mean he may suffer a terrible ending...OH GOSH! ...*tables flipping* :bawling: WHY????

After a moment of sulking, I understood why he took this role. He always said that he wanted to be a villain and no doubt this will be the role will give him that challenge as an actor.  I see why they cast him as well because like DB's article,  he does have the potential to play a dark role with a twist of challenging his own morals and conscience.  I saw him in Royal Tailors being both dark and righteous and boy was that entertaining. I loved and hated his role there and it looks like I'm in a longer love hate battle with his role here .... AISH!!!! Im back to sulking AGAIN! crying1-onion-head-emoticon.gif?12928624 I dunno if I'll be keen to watch him here. I loved him so much in Romantic Doctors. Maybe Teacher Kim can help him.. please cast him too.

tumblr_oj2vrguP5K1uq4zv4o1_500.gif

oh wait that will be season 2 of RD. Opps wrong drama. :lol: and still sulking depressed1-onion-head-emoticon.gif?12928

evil-smile-onion-head-emoticon.gif?12928Oh look at the outburst to this news .Im glad Im not the only one whom initially thought YYS would be the lead hehe-onion-head-emoticon.gif?1292862507 

cr. kkuljaem blog 

Yoo Yeon Seok joins Mr. Sunshine

0002689457_001_20170710080328003.jpeg

Screen%2BShot%2B2017-07-09%2Bat%2B8.24.52%2BPM.png

Screen%2BShot%2B2017-07-09%2Bat%2B8.24.35%2BPM.png

Ilgan Sports via Naver: [Exclusive] Yoo Yeon Seok is Kim Eun Sook's man... up for lead role in Mr Sunshine 

Yoo Yeon Seok will be playing the role of Goo Dong Mae who was born as a butcher's son and escapes his homeland to start a new life in Japan. He is in love with aegisshi (Kim Tae Ri's character)

1. [+10,891, -175] I thought they replaced Lee Byung Hun

2. [+8,950, -799] I'd rather they make Yoo Yeon Seok the male lead.. Not Lee Byung Hun

3. [+7,121, -236] The big height difference between the lead and second lead though

4. [+5,571, -376] Lee Byung Hun can't be the lead

5. [+4,901, -180] Ah what the? I thought they replaced the male lead 
6. [+1,174, -66] Yoo Yeon Seok and Kim Tae Ri's age gap is more reasonable and they look better together.. I don't understand why Kim Eun Sook paired Kim Tae Ri and Lee Byung Hun? I just see a father and a daughter

7. [+976, -55] I was so happy for a moment thinking they dropped Lee Byung Hun for Yoo Yeon Seok. Well, this sucks

8. [+995, -66] Give Yoo Yeon Seok the lead role. The male and female leads have 20-year age difference...Unless the story is about a father and daughter, change the male lead

9. [+803, -35] It's not like this is an American show, I can't believe Lee Byung Hun got chosen to say some lines in English. They really couldn't find another actor who can speak English?

10. [+808, -46] Lee Byung Hun and Yoo Yeon Seok's height difference: 20 cm. Lee Byung Hun and Kim Tae Ri's age difference: 20 years
  • Like 3

July 10, 2017

Lee Byung-hun and Kim Tae-ri Will Meet in Kim Eun-sook's New Drama!

Source: HanCinema.net

photo866101.jpg

South Korea's most wanted scriptwriter Kim Eun-sook ("Goblin", "Descendants of the Sun" etc.) is writing a new drama called "Mr. Sunshine". According to her, this piece have been an on-going project for her since long ago.

Last May, she announced the story line, which is about a soldier with timeline of 1900-1905. The solider boarded a battleship as a boy back in 1871, and was abandoned in USA. As the boy grew up as an US solider, he returns to Joseon, the country that deserted him. During his stay, he falls in love with a young noblewoman.

Last month, the production announced the official cast of the main character. The solider will be played by actor Lee Byung-hun. Though the actor was active in the movie screens, it's been 9 years since "IRIS" for Lee Byung-hun to play in a drama, and the fans are excited to see him in the TV screen.  

With much anticipation, the production announced the cast for the main heroin on July 6th, which is actress Kim Tae-ri. The production was satisfied by the acting she have shown in the movie "The Handmaiden" and the actress was selected to play the role of the young noblewoman.

They commented that the actress gave a huge impression and was curious about her. Scriptwriter Kim Eun-sook did not have any opposition in selecting Kim Tae-ri as the main heroin when it was proposed. This will be a great opportunity for this young actress since this role comes with a heavy responsibility. Her character is not just a regular young woman, but the last noblewoman of the bloodline of Go family; the spiritual anchor of Joseon era in 1900's.

This will be actress Kim Tae-ri's first drama and the comments are booming with much curiosity and approval. As for the Lee Byung-hun & Kim Tae-ri couple, many people commented that 20 years of age difference is a bit too much but it is certainly interesting to see these two together.

The drama will be aired beginning of 2018.

By. Lily Lee

• Like 1

July 10, 2017

Yoo Yeon-seok to star in Kim Eun-sook's "Mr. Sunshine"

Source: Sports Donga via HanCinema.net

photo866507.jpg

Yoo Yeon-seok is starring in Kim Eun-sook's "Mr. Sunshine".

He takes on the role of Dong Mae in this drama which is based in the 1900s. Dong Mae was born as the son of a butcher and lives a new life after crossing over to Japan. He co-stars with Kim Tae-ri.

Yoo Yeon-seok is starring in the musical "Hedwig" and will begin filming the drama in November.

• Like 2

July 11, 2017

Lee Byung-hun, Kim Tae-ri to Star in New TV Series

Source: The ChosunIlbo

Lee Byung-hun and Kim Tae-ri will play the lead roles in a new TV series to be written by Kim Eun-sook, who scripted the megahit dramas "Descendants of the Sun" and "Guardian."

Set in the first decade of 20th century, the series tells the story of group of righteous army fighters who battled Japanese forces.  

2017071100706_0.jpg
Lee Byung-hun (left) and Kim Tae-ri

It is scheduled to air early next year. 2018 marks the 99th anniversary of the establishment of the Provisional Government of Korea.

• Like 1

July 13, 2017

Buzzing: Actor Yoo Yeon Seok lands big role

Source: The Straits Times

Will he be the next big thing? Yoo Yeon Seok, 33, has scored the leading role in Mr Sunshine, the next South Korean drama by star scriptwriter Kim Eun Sook (Descendants Of The Sun and Goblin, both 2016).

He will play an anti-hero who is born to a low-class family in Korea in the 1900s and escapes to Japan in pursuit of a new life. The melodrama, set to air early next year, also stars Lee Byung Hun and Kim Tae Ri.

Yoo debuted in Park Chan Wook's 2003 movie Oldboy and has since starred in dramas such as 2013's Reply 1994.

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on July 13, 2017, with the headline 'Buzzing'. 

• Like 4

Korea Portal indicated in this article that MR. SUNSHINE will be aired on tvN but we have not seen any other articles stating so. Right? dontknow.gif

July 11, 2017

Al Pacino’s ‘Misconduct’ Co-Star Lee Byung Hun, Kim Tae Ri Star In 2018 Period Series

BY CONAN ALTATIS / Korea Portal

Lee Byung Hun, 47, and Kim Tae Ri, 27, will star in an upcoming period series. The show titled "Mr. Sunshine" will be written by "Descendants of the Sun" writer Kim Eun Sook and director Lee Eung Bok.

In "Mr. Sunshine," Byung Hun will play lead male character, a man in the Joseon era who returns to the country that abandoned him after becoming an American soldier. Tae Ri will play the female lead character, the love interest of Byung Hun's character and the daughter of a nobleman in the said era, Asia One has learned.

The story of "Mr. Sunshine" is set in the first decade of 20th century and it will revolve around the righteous army fighters who battled Japanese forces, according to Chosun Ilbo. The series will premiere on tvN in 2018, which will mark the 99th anniversary of the Provisional Government of Korea establishment.

"Mr. Sunshine" will mark Tae Ri's debut on the small screen. On the big screen, she was recently seen in Park Chan Wook's erotic psychological thriller film "The Handmaiden," was screened at the 2016 Cannes Film Festival.

On the other hand, Byung Hun's most recent film role was Kang Jae Hoon in "Single Rider." He starred in the mystery drama film opposite Gong Hyo Jin.

Spoiler

In 2016, Byung Hun starred in four films namely "Misconduct," "The Age of Shadows," "The Magnificent Seven" and "Master." South Korea submitted "The Age of Shadows" to the Best Foreign Language Film category of the 89th Academy Awards but it was not nominated.

In "Misconduct," Byung Hun played the Accountant. His fellow main cast members were Al Pacino, Anthony Hopkins, Josh Duhamel, Glenn Powell, Malin Akerman, Alice Eve and Julia Stiles.

After "Misconduct," Pacino's fans will see him again on the big screen in "Hang Man." Directed by Johnny Martin, the crime thriller film also stars Karl Urban, Joe Anderson, Brittany Snow and Sarah Shahi.

• Like 2

Published on June 24, 2017 by Kpop News

Writer of Goblin and DOTS Casts Lee Byung Hun As New Male Lead

Published on July 9, 2017 by Korean Drama News TTB

Another Male lead is added on Kim Eun Sook's next drama 'Mr. Sunshine'

• Like 2

July 16, 2017

Is this the renowned  screen writer Kim Eun Sook’s  favourite love formula?  Can 'OOOO love' be successful again?  

(A translation)

ms14.jpg

Held up as a “god-like” screenwriter Kim Eun Sook’s latest work “Mr. Sunshine” casted Lee Byung Hunand Kim Tae Ri as protagonists.  Since there is an age gap  of 20 years between the two protagonists,  the audience are most concerned on how they can interpret the lingering romance in the plot.  In addition, attentive netizens also discovered that it is not the first time that screenwriter Kim depicted a romance between an older man and a younger woman. Could this be Screenwriter Kim’s romance formula?

“Mr. Sunshine”  which will start filming this autumn uses,  as background,   Korea in the 1900s and tells the story of soldiers whose stories are not recorded in history but must be commemorated.   Lee Byung Hun played a character who was taken to the United Stares (when the US invaded Korea in 1871)  but returned to Korea as a US soldier.  In addition to solid acting, the main actor must speak fluent English.  As far as Screenwriter Kim is concerned, Lee Byung Hun is deemed to be the most suitable candidate. 

ms13.jpg

Kim Tae Ri portrays the pillar of the Korean spirit - the last blood line of the Ko family.   Screenwriter Kim chose her because she has an  ‘unusual charm’ .  With a 20-year age difference,  how can Lee Byung Hun and Kim Tae Ri interprete the natural romance?   After all, neither their appearance nor their temperament have the feel of a couple.  What can assure the audience is that a romance between an “older man and a younger woman”  is not appearing for the first time in screenwriter Kim’s work.  For example, in the popular  drama “ A Gentleman’s Dignity” , the character Choi Yoon (played by Kim Min Jong)  and Im Meari (played by Yoon Jin Yi) illustrated this case and charmed the audience. In the drama, the age difference between the two was 17 years (actual age difference 18 years)  Kim Min Jong played the widower Choi Yoon, whose friend’s sister Meari considered him as her first love.  Although their romance was by no means smooth, they utimately had a “Happy Ending” . At first, the audience felt the romance between the two was too far-fetched, but got more and more got attracted to this couple and they became the second most popular couple after the main couple  Jang Dong Gun and Kim Na Neul.

ms15.jpg

Following that is the the very popular drama “Goblin” broadcasted in the beginning of the year.   The age difference is hundreds of years  between Kim Shin(Gong Yoo) and Ji Eun Tak (Kim Go Eun), although the actual number has no meaning. The plot depicted the romance between a high school girl and an older man. Before the drama was broadcasted, few members of the audience supported the Gong Yoo/ Kim Go Eun couple.  However, after the broadcast, the audience fell in love Gong Yoo’s character:  feeling that older men actually knew how to better take care and understand girls.   In fact Gong Yoo and Kim Go Eun have similar demeanor with age difference of 12 years. 

ms16.jpg

Based upon the above situation, Lee Byung Hun and Kim Tae Ri, although with a 20 years age gap, may well portray a different couple feel.

Source: http://www.koreastardaily.com/tc/news/96359

• Like 3

July 17, 2017

Byun Yo Han Confirmed To Join Writer Kim Eun Sook’s Upcoming Drama

Source: Soompi by DY_Kim 

Byun-Yo-Han.jpg

Byun Yo Han will be joining Lee Byung Hun, Kim Tae Ri, and Yoo Yeon Seok in a new drama!

On July 18, the actor’s agency Saram Entertainment revealed that he is confirmed to star in Kim Eun Sook‘s new project “Mr. Sunshine.”

Set in the early 1900s, “Mr. Sunshine” is a melodrama that tells soldiers’ stories which haven’t been recorded in history but should be remembered. Byun Yo Han will play a warm-hearted character who appears to be an immature playboy.

This will be the third joint project by writer Kim Eun Sook and director Lee Eung Bok who previously worked together on “Descendants of the Sun” and “Goblin.” It is set to air in early 2018.

Source (1) (2)

• Like 1