Quantcast
Go Seung Ji

[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

On 9/16/2018 at 8:43 AM, mistergenie said:

ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME WITH THIS RIDICULOUS TIME JUMP?  SERIOUSLY, WHAT THE ACTUAL FRAK?

RIGHT?!? 

I fully expected a time jump, since there s always one in these things, but I hoped that 6 months Ae-Shin was gone would be it. Nope. Okay, maybe he just goes to the US and then comes back? Nope. Gotta be three years, with no contact. 

Also, what he did wasn't treason, and treason doesn't get you three years in prison. But... let's ignore that.

10 hours ago, rubie said:

Captures: SE Daily

My Boss.. My Friend.. My Honor ..

... my actor wearing colored contact lenses....

No one's eyes are that color! Okay, maybe someone, but not him. I guess someone thought that unusually blue eyes would make him look more western?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ssh king said:

No preview. I saw the girls blown away by the blast. :sweatingbullets: 

I'm convinced that Ae-Shin will survive, although badly injured, and here will be a big scene where she opens her eyes and sees Eugene standing over her. ( I KNEW HE'D GO AWAY AND COME BACK!) Because this is a drama, they will still be madly in love with one another after all this time. There will finally be some physical contact between them.

As for Hina.... hhmmmm... she could be dead. Or Dong-Mae could realize that she's the one he loves. Or not. I have no idea. We're losing characters left and right here.

What happened to the hotel staff? Did they know to get out?

We won't see Hotaru again, unless she's suddenly Yoojo's woman.

Why did it take Dong-Mae three years to come back? 

Why is that girl still following "Young Master" around after all this time? And why is he still pining for Ae-Shin? Oh, right sorry, it's all about the unrequited love.

American men in those years rarely wore wedding rings, and they definitely didn't wear cute rings that matched their wives' rings. Couple rings weren't a thing in 1904.

Takashi using various people, including that woman who was probably his wife or something, as human shields. Oh my. His wife looked pissed off.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, aurelionsol said:

They should show this better because sometimes we see unimportant scenes or nothing to add to the story. These understatements are more uncomfortable than comfortable in many episodes. They are often misleading because they did not want to add a few scenes to the episode and put the action in a more sensible way. When I am able to understand a weak attempt to deceive viewers that AS and Hina may die, this blowing up the hotel has been poorly implemented.

I hear you. I wonder how many scenes don't make it to the final cut...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, burningpotato said:

Takashi using various people, including that woman who was probably his wife or something, as human shields. 

This made me cringe. UGH he's despicable

I really hope there's a time jump and An Jeung-Wan is included in the drama. 

1 hour ago, lilyphenix said:

I hear you. I wonder how many scenes don't make it to the final cut...

They make many mistakes because an american officer (Felipe Arca) during the attack on the american legation gate is without rank, during the discussion with the consul he has the rank of Captain US Marine Corps :) 

• Like 1

Question, why AS only bandage DM's hand only, i mean he also got injured on his back :D.

I'm little bit surprise when he came up in the opium den, thankfully he's okay.

Anyway i'm confuse why EC sent to prison for 3 years and discharged just because he shot legation's window.

The actor who played Takashi Mori is really good. I mean i hated his character a lot lol

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

I rewatched E22 and that 3 yr time jump rankled me again. It feels like the writer was more keen on incorporating historical events at the expense of the personal stories/journeys of the main characters - read Eugene - why else would he get stuck like a  rock in prison cell for three years, doing nothing to contribute to the story? Don't forget Dong Mae too - lying like a wasteman in an opium den in Manchuria .UGH!!!! What a waste of these two characters!! . For fans who have been watching purely for a fictionalized/ loosely based story on real events of that time, I don't think that the time jump and the fridging of Eugene (and DM) for three years was any problem at all. But for me (and maybe some other fans like me) who was/were watching for the personal element/facet of these fictional characters, it was quite jarring and disappointing.

@Preksha Shahal It can go either way but safe to go in fully expecting tragedy and a sad ending. That way, if we get something akin to a satisfying/happy conclusion, we can always be pleasantly surprised.

@q4q4 Another time jump? Be careful what you wish for because what if we flash forward to 1945? Eh? Would that do?  ;):)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 12blbl said:

The actor who played Takashi Mori is really good. I mean i hated his character a lot lol

I'm looking on his name in Mr. Sunshine's Wikipedia but it's not included there. His name is Kim Nam Hee...I agree he played his character well.  He's such a psycho.... Hope to see him in other dramas.

I'm glad that they showed the back story of Hotaru and Dong Mae but I'm still waiting on the story of Hina and Dong Mae. I mean when did their deep and complex relationship start. 

@lilyphenix- I love your interpretation on how the ronin boss freed Dong Mae. It just perfectly make sense specially when the boss said, "You now have something you cherish above else" and slashed DM to make him fall in the abyss ...I think ronin's at that time too had a code to follow. Sorry I keep mentioning DM - I'm a sucker of these type of characters portrayed in a drama or movie.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sejung (gugudan) – Paramour (정인) Mr. Sunshine OST Part 13

This path that you and I are walking on
Is really not easy
So again today, I couldn’t catch you
And I’m letting you go like this

Spoiler

The deeper my heart grows
I cry and laugh alone
In case I make you cry
Again today, I’m just looking at you by myself

If you feel the same way as me
If you want me too
Please look at me
At me, the fool who only look at you

If you could be happy
If you could laugh
Don’t worry about me
Hurting by myself is easy to do

Where you are standing
Where you are staying
I’ll be there
Me, who waits for you with an aching heart

At the end of the road that’s farther away than the sea
If we ever meet again
Hold my hand
If I’m with you, that path will be easy

POPGASA

• Like 5

3 hours ago, 12blbl said:

Anyway i'm confuse why EC sent to prison for 3 years and discharged just because he shot legation's window.

Being an officer, he fired a shot at the US legation (breaking the law and attack on the country?). A soldier (corporal) was killed on duty. The incident could have caused political problems. For such a thing, you can get a reprimand or a suspended sentence? He was discharged and spent three years in prison.  Everything for the forced script in this topic (the same for DM)

2 hours ago, mistergenie said:

I rewatched E22 and that 3 yr time jump rankled me again. It feels like the writer was more keen on incorporating historical events at the expense of the personal stories/journeys of the main characters - read Eugene - why else would he get stuck like a  rock in prison cell for three years, doing nothing to contribute to the story? Don't forget Dong Mae too - lying like a wasteman in an opium den in Manchuria .UGH!!!! What a waste of these two characters!! . For fans who have been watching purely for a fictionalized/ loosely based story on real events of that time, I don't think that the time jump and the fridging of Eugene (and DM) for three years was any problem at all. But for me (and maybe some other fans like me) who was/were watching for the personal element/facet, it was quite jarring and disappointing.

I hope Eugene put a ring again on her finger in the middle of the square or free space (reunion after 3 years when she regains consciousness and running to him). In front of many RA members and cadets who survived. Maybe the emperor (dethroned) will be there with delegation (disarming and massacre army of Joseon) and will be a witness their reunion? It's time to fight backwardness and old customs (his proof of love and she does not have to be ashamed or afraid of a Western marriage).

I'd like Eugene to get and wear Colonel Joseon's uniform (for old merits and as part of trust). Now he looks like an ordinary partisan :)

DM and Hina reunion, but what is their role in the RA? I have no idea.

• Like 5

Does anyone think there is more to why EVERYONE wants Ashin to survive? EC, DM and HS love her, KH is taking orders from the palace, the RA feels they owe her but there must be another reason. I have a far fetched idea. Could she have ties to the throne we dont know about yet?  Yes, her family is important to the King but why her specifically? The whole of Joeson seems to be vested in her survival... She is our stories heroine and that should be enough but I have a feeling there may be a deeper motivation to the conspiracy of her survival. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@burningpotato

Too few females main cast in this drama so I hooe they keep the 3 girls alive.  Hina has ties wth the Royals, her role as important?

Chinese drama "seige in fog" ending left me speechless and frustrated.. so I do hope mr sunshine does not give us same type of ending for the 3 male leads..:tears:

• Like 2

11 hours ago, mistergenie said:

@q4q4 Another time jump? Be careful what you wish for because what if we flash forward to 1945? Eh? Would that do?  ;):)

We may see a future mirroring of the photo of Ae-Shin's parents, when her and Eugene's child or grandchild has that photo of them in 40 or 50 years.

9 hours ago, linygirl1 said:

Does anyone think there is more to why EVERYONE wants Ashin to survive? EC, DM and HS love her, KH is taking orders from the palace, the RA feels they owe her but there must be another reason. I have a far fetched idea. Could she have ties to the throne we dont know about yet?  Yes, her family is important to the King but why her specifically? The whole of Joeson seems to be vested in her survival... She is our stories heroine and that should be enough but I have a feeling there may be a deeper motivation to the conspiracy of her survival. 

Because she's a perfect sparkly unicorn who can do no wrong, and all the boys love her. In other words, tv heroine.

10 hours ago, aurelionsol said:

DM and Hina reunion, but what is their role in the RA? I have no idea.

Hina's been part of the resistance in many ways for quite a while now. All Dong-Mae has done is save his crush (and, seriously, they never speak, but he's still fussed over his unending love for her?)

Edited by Jillia
Please do not post consecutively, edit you previous post instead. Thanks! :)
  • Like 2

About the time jump: there had to be repercussions for what EC did. He willingly disobeyed an order to return to America and then he engaged in fights with some Japanese people, causing an incident that put in jeopardy the relationship between America and Japan. The incident also ended with an American soldier being dead. @bedifferent already mentioned the shooting at the building and some of the things I've mentioned.

Also at the martial court, he never says that he was with his wife because probably he would have added a new charge, forging documents. So without the wife explanation, there is not much that he could say in his defence.

Only Kyle's explanation lowered his sentence.

2 hours ago, burningpotato said:

Because she's a perfect sparkly unicorn who can do no wrong, and all the boys love her. In other words, tv heroine.

You seem to forget that she has a skill that is very necessary for the RA: she is very good at shooting people. Not many are, especially the young cadets.

So she is not a unicorn, on the contrary, we were told and we could see many times that she is a very good snipper. So the story makes sense.

If you and @linygirl1 are wondering why the king wanted her rescued, there are some reasons. First, she is an asset of the RA and the king does things for RA as the RAs does for the king. Second, the king admired AS's grandfather and probably felt guilty about what happened to his grandfather: recall that he dies because the king gave a lot of power to LWI. Third, when people are fighting about something together, they tend to have each other backs.

7 hours ago, mistergenie said:

. But for me (and maybe some other fans like me) who was/were watching for the personal element/facet of these fictional characters, it was quite jarring and disappointing.

What can I say? the political and the social are personal and vice versa. Would it make more sense to send EC to America and have him coming back right away? Only if EC was not a soldier and lived in a very fictional Korean drama universe. Since he lives in a semi-fictional one, one that follows up to a point history, he had to pay for his decisions.

Moreover, from the point of view of the story, the separation makes sense: EC took a very hard decision for AS; if there were no repercussions for his decisions, then he should have taken it long ago.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, linygirl1 said:

My interpretation is that Aeshin symbolizes the new Joseon. Remember that old grandpa Go represents the spirit of old Joseon, that's why Mori Takashi targeted him. So that's what I think writer is projecting here.  And realistically, I feel that there's no time to introduce new conspiracy.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, marfisa said:

@bedifferent I am referring to the part in which Eugene asks Kyle why he was his friend, as he did fight the other American for him. Kyle replies it was because he (Eugene) is a good soldier, because ......, and because he (Kyle) believes in God.  I missed what he said in beetwen, I dont know if I have understood really what he said, but seemed something about the consul in Japan.

Ahhha, lol.  My ears said the following: :lol:

Kyle: Now tell me. Why are you here?

EC:    I am going on another picnic in Joseon. I'll be a real outlander.

Kyle:  So Joseon is your real homeland.

EC:    My homeland is America, even without my uniform.  I am again leaving my country but I am not running away this time. I'm moving forward.

Kyle:   If you must go, you promise me one thing.  You come back.

EC:  I promise. I'll come back. By the way, I always wanted to ask you something.  Why do you want to be my friend? You fired at another American because of me.

Kyle: Because you are a good soldier and others who messed with you are idiots. And I believe in God.

EC: Thank you Kyle. My boss, my friend, my honor.  May God be with you always.

When Kyle said he believes in Eugene because he believes in God, it mirrored what the young Eugene thought many years ago that there is a higher being who answers to people like him in time of need.  It also evoked the memories of Joseph who rescued the young Eugene. Just to know that there are someone who believes in him and is motivated to do the right thing for others selflessly.  It brought Eugene to tears.

I think Eugene will keep his promise to come back home to America.  I wonder what he means by being an outlander in Joseon, as he no longer identify with a land controlled by Japanese?

• Like 7