Quantcast
Go Seung Ji

[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

December 13, 2018

Koreans Vote For Best Drama Stars Of 2018 mrs.jpg

Source: Soompi by J. Lim

Koreans Vote For Best Drama Stars Of 2018

Lee Byung Hun has been voted the drama actor who shined the most in 2018!

Gallup Korea ran a poll from November 7 to 30, asking 1,700 people above the age of 13 from all over South Korea on who they believed was the best drama actor who shined in 2018. People who participated in the survey could state up to two actors they thought were most deserving of the title.

Lee Byung Hun received the most votes of 12.9 percent for his role in tvN’s “Mr. Sunshine.” His decision to appear in the drama was met with high expectations as it was his first drama in nine years since KBS’s “IRIS.” He was praised for his portrayal of Eugene Choi in the drama.

In second place was Lee Byung Hun’s “Mr. Sunshine” co-star Kim Tae Ri, who received 9 percent of the votes. Despite it being her first drama, she impressed with her performance as Go Ae Shin.

In third and fifth place were “Pretty Noona Who Buys Me Food” co-stars Jung Hae In and Son Ye Jin respectively. Jung Hae In also appeared in the popular drama “Prison Playbook” and has been making his mark as an actor. Son Ye Jin has been focusing more on her film career in recent years, but she knocked it out of the park with “Pretty Noona Who Buys Me Food,” her first drama in five years since KBS’s “Shark.”

Fourth place went to Park Bo Gum, who ranked high in the survey despite “Encounter,” his only drama of 2018, premiering in late November. Though most of his work has been outside of dramas for the past two years, this is the second consecutive year he has ranked in fourth place.

Others who made the top 10 were Jang Mi Hee from “Black Knight” and “Marry Me Now,” Seo Hyun Jin from “Beauty Inside,” Choi Soo Jong from “My Only One,” Yoo Dong Geun from “Marry Me Now,” and Gong Yoo, who’s latest work in dramas was 2017’s “Goblin.”

Source (1)

1. Lee Byung Hun (12.9%)
2. KimTae Ri (9.0%)

3. Jung Hae In (8.7%)
4. Park Bo Gum (6.1%)
5. Son Ye Jin (5.3%)
6. Jang Mi Hee (5.0%)
7. Seo Hyun Jin (4.5%)
8. Choi Soo Jong (4.3%)
9. Yoo Dong Geun (3.9%)
10. Gong Yoo (3.7%)

Credit: MrSunshine @teameushin

Credit: Chungmuro Crumb

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @rubie, great to see BH and KTR in the first and 2nd spot in Gallup polls for the best drama actor/actress list for 2018. Considering BH in the 3rd spot in the movie actor/actress list for 2018 too.. this year has been another busy and fruitful year for him and KTR!

It's almost at the end of Mr. Sunshine Blu-ray premium version pre-order (Dec 19th Korean time). If we miss this chance, I doubt we'll see another try and all the clips, deleted scenes and makings will be gone forever. I have read the book - the one that was written based on KES's original script, and there are scenes that are different from details and gone from the script. One of the difference is that... in the scene in episode 22, where Aeshin visited room 304 to ask him to bring her to US(only to Japan), Aeshin maintained red-eyed stoic front in drama, but in the book, she dropped a tear...  I know there's a reason director decided to keep the current version of stoic Aeshin, but I want to see more emotional scene. 

Reading the book, I missed a lot of details drama brought and written script doesn't have all the beauty of the what director and casts showed us. But it helped me remembering scenes in the drama when I read the book. How they showed us the character 100%, no 200%. It's really wonderful experience in itself.

So.. all in all, please think of ordering Mr Sunshine blu-ray! :D 

https://global.yes24.com/Goods/66986691 (for English Order Page)

https://cn.yes24.com/Goods/66986691 (for Chinese Order Page)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

At the end of year, newspapers are writing articles about summarizing this year. Another such article from Donga newspaper. They gathered survey results from PDs, Writers, production people and critics, total 24 people. (They has names listed at the end of the article too).

http://news.donga.com/list/3/all/20181214/93284568/1

93284557.1.jpg

tvN 'Mr. Sunshine' topped the drama of the year, writer of the year, actor/actress of the year. And they said this drama was the key for Netflix to get bigger in Korean market.

93284563.1.jpg

This is the poll result. For the best drama of the year, it's

Mr Sunshine - 16 votes

My Ajjussi - 11 votes

Something in the rain - 7 votes

Prison Playbook - 5 votes

For the best drama writer of the year, 

Kim Eunsook - 18 votes

Park Haeyoung - 6 votes

Noh Heekyung - 5 votes

So Hyunkyung - 4 votes

For the best PD of the year

Kim Wonsuk (My Ajjussi) - 10 votes

Lee Eungbok(Mr. Sunshine) - 9 votes

Ahn Pansuk - 5 votes

Shin Wonho - 4 votes

For the best actor of the year

Lee ByungHun - 15 votes

Park Suhjoon - 5 votes

Jung Haein - 4 votes

Jo Seungwoo - 3 votes

For the best actress of the year

Kim Taeri - 10 votes

Han Jimin - 8 votes

Sohn Yejin - 7 votes

Kim Namjoo - 6 votes

For the best new talent in drama

Do Kyungsoo - 9 votes

Kim Taeri - 6 votes

IU - 5 votes

Jang Keeyoung - 4 votes

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thanks so much @mistymorning for the drama updates, it's always a pleasure reading your thought of highlighted articles. Really hope more MR.SUNSHINE fans will order the premium blu-ray as keepsakes. It's a bit of an uphill task but we'll never stop trying, no matter what while there is time & effort.

And the Donga newspaper survey, that is great news to share! The end of the year is filled with various surveys and polls, not to mention the awards show almost every week! But what distinguishes one survey (or poll  or award show) to the next one is how it's conducted and who participated in it. So, the Donga survey, despite the small number of juries, it comprises of the people who knew what it's all about, and to select those most deserving. Well done MR.SUNSHINE. All those long hours patience of working in biting coldness and extreme heat, endless effort and tireless hard work -- it is all very much appreciated! ' 

Credit: ePhoenix.13 @BillyRocks_13

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 12/11/2018 at 8:09 AM, mistymorning said:

There will be Mr. Sunshine OST Orchestra Concert on Feb. 24th, 2019.(from stomp music blog https://blog.naver.com/stomp442/221415974299)

Concert will be held on Feb 24th, 5 PM, 2019 on Lotte Concert Hall in Korea. 

Ticket Sales will be open on Dec 12th (Wednesday), 2018, on Interpark. They're saying there will be music video.

Thanks for this info - so no OSTs will be sung? Luckily I read your post otherwise I will be wondering if OST singers will appear at this concert as well  as the orchestra :)

The talk concert will be held tomorrow, I haven't seen any details about what  cast members besides Kim Min Jung will appear. HCY will sing at least three songs.

If I may take the liberty of posting this reaction video to "How Can I Forget You" - the reactor is so cute, she says she may watch "Mr Sunshine" partly as a result of HCY's performance of the OST :)

From around 07:15 onwards

Spoiler

• Like 4

Thanks @cynkdf for the Talk Concert update and for always keeping us in the loop. Hope we'll have lots of nice pics and videos from the event tomorrow. Maybe, some cool surprises too! ^_^

That's great sharing, having more fans watching the drama is a wonderful news no matter how or what that got them interested. Various people certainly have interesting catalyst that made them wanted to watch a drama/movie and it's usually the soundtrack or music clips. Good things will always lead to more awesome stuff. :)

Btw, here's the official(?) IG for SUNSHINE Studio.. lots of great photos of the familiar & most memorable drama sets. Plus the highlights of tourists visiting the now famous travel destination in Korea.

https://www.instagram.com/sunshinestudio_kr/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Naver N Store(selling VODs) summarized the best viewed contents of year 2018(between Jan 1st to Nov 30th). And without a doubt, no question about it... Mr. Sunshine is the #1 Drama of the 2018 (among completed series drama).

https://nstore.naver.com/annualReport2018.nhn?store=broadcasting

viewimage.php?no=24b0d769e1d32ca73cee87f

If you check out the link, completed drama best 10 for 2018 for N store is, 

1. Mr. Sunshine

2. What's wrong with secretary Kim

3. Something in the rain 

4. Beauty Inside

5. My Ajjussi

6. My ID is gangnam beauty

7. Return

8. Live

9. Prison playbook

10. Familiar Wife

This ties nicely with the article from SMR, that #1 clicked online clip is Mr Sunshine. :D

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

December 15, 2018

Lee Byung Hun Thanks “Mr. Sunshine” Co-Star Byun Yo Han For Supporting New Film With Coffee Truck

Source: Soompi by S. Park

The “Mr. Sunshine” bromance continues! cuppa.gif

On December 14, Lee Byung Hun shared photos of a coffee truck sent to him by “Mr. Sunshine” co-star Byun Yo Han. The thoughtful gift was sent to the set of Lee Byung Hun’s latest film “Managers of Namsan” (literal title).

He wrote, “Custom figure mania Byun Yo Han. Are you finally buying coffee?”

On the coffee truck, the banners read, “Good luck ‘Managers of Namsan’!!! From Byun Yo Han.” The banners also have photos of figurines that resemble Lee Byung Hun.

The two actors previously appeared on tvN’s “Mr. Sunshine” together where they appeared as the characters Eugene Choi and Kim Hee Sung.

Source (1)

th_t723mn.gif

Source: olivia.hwa

Pencil sketch by Aummueang Jaikham

• Like 3

16 hours ago, rubie said:

Thanks @cynkdf for the Talk Concert update and for always keeping us in the loop. Hope we'll have lots of nice pics and videos from the event tomorrow. Maybe, some cool surprises too! ^_^

@rubie you are welcome, I am always happy to share about HCY :)  Hopefully fans will be allowed to record what happens during the talk concert. Meanwhile here are pics of fans starting out on the Sunshine Location Tour - thanks to chiyeul_up_family_fancafe for the pics.  All aboard the Sunshine Train! 

• Like 3

Aigoo, the Sunshine Train? :blink::sweatingbullets::unsure: That makes me a bit jittery but.. it's all in the (drama) past.. and episode 24 didn't happen, of course. -_- Nonetheless, it's really good to see the fans having a great time, the provided transportation is indeed a plus point.

Looking forward to the fancams and recaps later, hope everyone will have a great time at the Talk Concert ~ Sunshine & Love! :wub:

December 15, 2018

Industry Reps Vote For 2018’s Best Actors, Dramas, And Rookies

Source: Soompi by E. Cha

Industry Reps Vote For 2018âs Best Actors, Dramas, And Rookies

With only two weeks left until 2019, Korean industry professionals weighed in on this year’s best dramas, actors, and rising stars!

A recent survey by Korean media outlet News1 asked 25 industry representatives to vote for the dramas and actors that left their mark on 2018. (A full list of the surveyed professionals, which includes drama producers, directors, and marketers, can be found at the end of the article.)

tvN’s hit drama “Mr. Sunshine” clearly left an impression on industry representatives this year, with stars Lee Byung Hun and Kim Tae Ri earning the most votes for Actor of the Year and Actress of the  Year respectively. Additionally, “Mr. Sunshine” took second place for Drama of the Year, bested only by IU and Lee Sung Gyun’s tvN drama “My Ahjussi.”

Kim Tae Ri also received the most votes for Rookie Actress of the Year, while ASTRO’s Cha Eun Woo‘s performance in JTBC’s “My ID is Gangnam Beauty” garnered him the most votes for Rookie Actor of the Year.

Check out the full survey results below!

Actor of the Year
Lee Byung Hun (8 votes)
Park Seo Joon (3 votes)
Jung Hae In, EXO’s D.O., Lee Sun Gyun, So Ji Sub, Kam Woo Sung (2 votes each)
Park Bo Gum, Lee Min Ki, Shin Ha Kyun, Joo Ji Hoon (1 vote each)

Actress of the Year
Kim Tae Ri (6 votes)
Kim Nam Joo (5 votes)
Son Ye Jin (4 votes)
IU (3 votes)
Han Ji Min (2 votes)
Park Min Young, Yum Jung Ah, Jung In Sun, Nam Ji Hyun, Shin Hye Sun (1 vote each)

Rookie Actor of the Year
ASTRO’s Cha Eun Woo (8 votes)
EXO’s D.O., Jang Ki Yong (4 votes each)
Jung Hae In (3 votes)
Woo Do Hwan, INFINITE’s L, Lee Kyu Hyung, Song Geon Hee (1 vote each)

Rookie Actress of the Year
Kim Tae Ri (6 votes)
Park Se Wan (3 votes)
Lee Seol, Jin Ki Joo (2 votes each)
Shin Hye Sun, Seo Eun Soo, Chae Soo Bin, Seol In Ah, Lee Soo Kyung (1 vote each)

Drama of the Year
tvN’s “My Ahjussi” (9 votes)
tvN’s “Mr. Sunshine” (6 votes)
JTBC’s “SKY Castle” (3 votes)
OCN’s “The Guest,” tvN’s “100 Days My Prince” (2 votes each)
tvN’s “Life,” OCN’s “Life on Mars” (1 vote each)

The following industry representatives participated in the survey:

Kang Byung Taek (chief producer at KBS), Kim Da Ryung (Chorokbaem Media), Kim Dong Up (Fly Up Entertainment), Kim Seung Mo (chief producer at MBC), Kwon Young Joo (The TikTok), Kwon Kye Hong (chief producer at KBS), Namgoong Sung Woo (producing director at MBC), No Yoon Ae (Y Tree Company), Moon Bo Hyun (KBS drama division), Moon Seok Hwan (Bon Factory), Park Jin Hee (PRJ), Park Jae Bum (chief producer at MBC), Park Ho Shik (chief producer at Studio Dragon), Sung Hyun Soo (Noon Company), Son Jung Hyun (producing director at SBS), Shin Hyo Jung (Partners Park), Shim Young (Shall We Talk), Yang Hyun Seung (UL Entertainment), Yoo Hyung Suk (Yooborn Company), Lee Myung Woo (producing director at SBS), Lee Jin Sung (King Kong by Starship), Jang Doo Bong (BS Company), Jo Shin Young (StoryRhyme), Choi Jon Ho (HODU&U Entertainment), and Hong Min Ki (KeyEast).

Source (1)

Top Photo Credit: Xportsnews

• Like 4

"How Can I Forget You" - first time HCY has sung full version live:

Another clip - this starts with scenes from the official MV being shown on the big screen:

Spoiler

• Like 3

Thanks to KMJ's fan for sharing these pics:

Those of you who have watched the video I posted in spoiler above - I read on Weibo today that HCY didn't know he had to open the door himself until the staff told him to do so .. hence the delay in entering the stage until about 30 seconds later :)

• Like 4

Thanks to a kind fan on Weibo and another helpful HCY fan, here's a translation of another part of HCY's talk session with the MC:

(From 06:10 of this video, he demonstrates what he did when he met Mr Sunshine cast members (presumably KMJ and maybe other actors, he didn't say who)

HCY:  "I met the artistes backstage.  When I was saying hi to them I can't help but to bend over and move backwards.  Because they are the people I had seen in the drama ...they look so handsome in the drama so I can't help but to bend over and move backwards."

A starstruck HCY - cute, don't you think? :)

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

Is it OK to share this ... HCY sang just a little of his OST here ... it's so cute

Spoiler

• Like 3

Thanks to Paolo of HCY North America FB, Sze Hwee and "Yao Tian Chai" (Weibo)  all HCY fans, for a more comprehensive translation of HCY's talk at the Talk Concert where he spoke about how he joined the OST line-up,  (I didn't realize singers can choose OST project), Joseph's funeral scene etc

• Like 4

Today's the last day of Mr. Sunshine Premium version pre-order. (19th is the last day, but in Korean time). We still need to go a bit further, one more step. 

Premium version blu-ray Pre-Order link is here

https://global.yes24.com/Goods/66986691(English Order Page)

https://cn.yes24.com/Goods/66986691(Chinese Order Page)

998AB9495C13D0FF03A066

I hope to feel like Huisung in this scene!

• Like 4

December 18, 2018

7 Actors Who Received Spotlight For Their Acting In 2018

Source: Soompi by S. Park

Many dramas and films premiered in 2018. There were some actors who caused buzz just for their appearance and some who received praise for making their projects a success.

Here are seven actors who drew viewers to small and big screens throughout this year:

1. Lee Byung Hun

Lee Byung Hun made headlines when it was revealed that he would be appearing as the lead of tvN’s “Mr. Sunshine.” This marked his return to TV screens after nine years since SBS’s “IRIS.”

“Mr. Sunshine” was praised for its strong script, detailed directing, and immersive acting. According to Nielsen Korea, its final episode recorded average viewership ratings of 18.1 percent and 20 percent. It became the third most-watched drama on this network following “Goblin” and “Reply 1988.”

Much of the success of the drama is credited to lead Lee Byung Hun’s realistic acting that moved both the Joseon Dynasty and female lead Go Ae Shin (played by Kim Tae Ri).

As a result, Lee Byung Hun received the Daesang at the 2018 Asia Artist Awards.

2. Ha Jung Woo

3. So Ji Sub

4. Son Ye Jin

5. Park Seo Joon

6. IU

7. EXO’s D.O.

Source (1)

Thanks to Icha for the tip!

• Like 3