Quantcast
Go Seung Ji

[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Wow, impressive fan art indeed... it's not real (photos) but so lifelike. So amazing to see the work of these talented artists, simply gorgeous art. Thanks @SeReNiTy, hope they will never stop sharing more creative work.:wub:

October 29, 2018

Seoul Awards honor the year's best

By Yim Seung-hye INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

seoulawards_w1.jpg

An array of stars took to the red carpet for the second edition of the Seoul Awards on Saturday evening held at Kyung Hee University’s Grand Peace Palace, eastern Seoul, and some left with several trophies in hand. 

TvN’s drama “My Mister,” which featured singer-actor Lee Ji-eun, better known as IU, and film “The Spy Gone North,” directed by Yoon Jong-bin, each received the top honors for Best Work at Saturday’s event. 

“My Mister” dealt with an unlikely friendship between a 20-something woman and her colleague in his 40s. The actors’ immersive performances and emotional direction lead to it receiving much praise.

“The Spy Gone North” starring Hwang Jung-min, Lee Sung-min and Cho Jin-woong, has been hailed as creating a new type of Korean spy flick. The story is based on a true incident that took place in 1993, when a former South Korean military officer was recruited by the National Intelligence Service to infiltrate North Korea amid leaks that North Korea was developing nuclear weapons.

Meanwhile, the Best Actor and Best Actress Awards went to Lee Byung-hun for his starring role in the successful period drama “Mr. Sunshine” and Kim Nam-joo for “Misty” in the television series category. Ha Jeong-woo received Best Actor for “Along With the Gods: The Two Worlds” and Son Ye-jin won Best Actress for “Be With You” for the film category.

The Seoul Awards is the first Awards Ceremony here to select the winners by including the public as judges. According to the organizers, public votes account for 30 percent of the final decision in order to “reflect the public opinion in the awards ceremony.”

Published on October 27, 2018 by 스포츠서울

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

@rubie, I like how LBH sits right smack in the middle for the awards recipients photo. :lol: Captain Eugene Choi shines! :w00t: He also misses his bros and likes to finger point them out in pictures, so cute! :wub:

Here's a sketch of Kim Yong Ji/Hotaru bysihye0on:)

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

@SeReNiTy LOL .. right smack in the middle.. :lol: that is so true.. thanks for pointing it out. I think it's just perfect that the front row sits so that we can also see everyone at the back. It shows that sitting down can be so cool, indeed. Makes me stop to ponder that there was no photo of Eugene and Kyle along with GwanSoo & Domi. :mellow: What a pity, huh.. they could have taken one before Kyle was transferred to Tokyo and EC supposedly return to America. Like Hina.. who had a group photo with her Glory Hotel staff, perhaps there was no one to take the photo (for EC & Kyle).. Hina's group had HeeSung with the camera gifted by Eugene much later.

Just realized looking at the group photo, the front row sitting-down winners had alternated  the sitting arrangement of the best actors and best actress actresses showing their smart tuxedos and white dresses. :wub: Nice.

Anyway, found this recent article on Kim Tae Ri by soompi news team. Great to see related news on MR.SUNSHINE still appearing at the mainsite & forum thread. Hopefully there will still be more to come and hopefully we can continue with members & new fans sharing once in awhile at the thread along with our threadstarter @Go Seung Ji too. :)

October 24, 2018

Kim Tae Ri Talks About The Popularity Of “Mr. Sunshine” And Picks Most Beautiful Scene

Source: Soompi by C. Hong

Kim Tae Ri Talks About The Popularity Of âMr. Sunshineâ And Picks Most Beautiful Scene

On October 23, fashion magazine Marie Claire revealed some photos from its pictorial with actress Kim Tae Ri in New York.

In the accompanying interview, Kim Tae Ri talked about her role as Go Ae Shin in the hit tvN drama “Mr. Sunshine.”

kim-tae-ri-2.jpg

kim-tae-ri-1.jpg

The actress picked the scene where her character first meets Eugene Choi (Lee Byung Hun) as the most beautiful scene in the drama. “It’s the first time that their street gets electricity, and Eugene and Ae Shin exchange looks with each other,” she described.

She added that she has felt the impact of “Mr. Sunshine’s” popularity around her and said, “Whenever I talk with someone close to me about the drama, or someone comes to talk to me about it, I realize how much love people have for ‘Mr. Sunshine.’ I feel it anew every time.”

Spoiler

kim-tae-ri-4.jpg

Spoiler
Spoiler

kim-tae-ri1.jpg

Spoiler

kim-tae-ri-3.jpg

The full pictorial and interview can be found in Marie Claire’s November issue.

Source (1)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

October 30, 2018. 

Congratulations to Byung Hun- ssi for receiving his second award for his portrayal as Eugene in "Mr. Sunshine".   Sincerely hope he will receive more awards going forward.  

Seoul Awards: Exclusive Interview with Lee Byung Hun 

(a translation) 

Clip: HighCut Star

"First of all, thank you very much, I am also very happy.   Filming of the drama series took a very long time.  I do not  know why those hard processes disappeared instantly.   It is like a kind of compensation.  Although I ended the shooting a few months ago, I do not know whether it is because of the long-time shooting or the theme of the Drama series, I still feel very much the story within me.  I hope that  everyone will remember this Drama series for a long time.   I am very thankful for today’s awards."

Source:   LBH fan @ Weibo

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Happy to see LBH get award for his work in Mr. Sunshine.

Here is the translation for LBH's acceptance speech. 

Thank you. First, I have people I want to congratulate. There are several couples married during and after Mr. Sunshine. Jo WooJin who did the role of Gwansoo, Kim Namhee who did the role of Takashi, and Yoon Jooman who did the role of Yujo, congratulate on all of you for your weddings. I have a lot of people I want to say thank you – looking at side – there is enough time to do it so I’ll do so now. First, I thank great director Lee Eungbok and writer Kim Eunsook, who wrote meaningful story and made it into beautiful drama better than a movie. Dir. Jang Yongho, dir. Jung Jaeyoung, camera dir Kang and dir Yoo, lighting dir. Lee Byunggwan and makeup chief Choi Gyunghee who tried their best to hide my lines(on my face).  And who has always been with me from movies, costume chief Jo Sangkyung. There are so many staffs, even though I couldn’t name them all, thanks to all of them I am here receiving this award. And also Yoo Yeonsuk who's here now, who’s very kind and good natured, I was a bit worried how he would be able to do the role, who’s different 180 degree. But he did play the character so well, so nicely, so I thank him as a senior. Also, from the beginning of shooting to the end, Kim Taeri who made me on edge and thanks to her my acting got better, thank you for your great acting. Just before Mr. Jisung said the name Boyoung is special to him, but to me it’s the name Minjung that’s special. I want to thank my colleague Kim Minjung, and also I want to sincerely thank my wife Minjung and my son, who has been supporting me always, being strong for me, and my source of energy for more than 10 months while I was working far from home. Today, it’s a bit more difficult for me because, without this person I won’t be able to be here nor see you. To think about it, I never really invited her to awards before, she called me and told me she wanted to be here. Who has been, and will be my life time supporter, my mom is here. Finally, I want to thank my fans. Thank you.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Thank you so much @peonie and @mistymorning for the translation of the interview clip & Best Actor acceptance speech. th_katt.gifBoth of you are our lovely sunshine, indeed. :wub:

Definitely hoping the actors and production of MR.SUNSHINE will continue to be rewarded for their hard work and high performance, the best drama that is truly meaningful & unforgettable.

Here is another list of recognition for Lee Byung Hun and Kim Tae Ri from MR.SUNSHINE and Kim Nam Joo from MISTY topping the survey of BEST ACTOR of 2018. Well-deserved!

Thanks to Chungmuro Crumb for the article highlight and translation th_katt.gif

Joy News 24, an entertainment sports media, conducted a survey on entertainment industry experts from October 19 to October 26 about "Best Actor in Drama of the Year". This survey included 200 peoples who worked for entertainment and broadcasting companies, producers of film and broadcasting contents, and reporters from entertainment department.

Kim Nam Joo (Misty) topped the list of the '2018 Best Actor in Drama'. Among the survey respondents, 42 voters chose her as the best actor in the drama category this year.
"Mr. Sunshine" Lee Byung Hun and Kim Tae Ri ranked second and third, respectively. Among the survey respondents, 36 voters chose Lee Byung Hun and 27 voters chose Kim Tae Ri as the best actor in drama for this year.

Following list of 2018 Best Actors in Drama by 200 entertainment industry experts:

1. Kim Nam Joo: 42 
2. Lee Byung Hun: 36 
3. Kim Tae Ri: 27 

4. Son Ye Jin: 21
5. Park Seo Joon: 16
6. Jo Seung Woo: 12
7. Do Kyung Soo: 11
8. Seo Hyun Jin & Jung Hae In: 6 

October 29, 2018

Kim Nam Joo of MISTY, the best drama actor chosen by the entertainment industry 

Followed by MR.SUNSHINE's Lee Byung Hun & Kim Tae Ri

Source: JoyNews

0000538006_001_20181029110102032.jpg?type=w430_q70

0000538006_002_20181029110102086.jpg?type=w430_q70

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

@rubie

I think mr sunshine was a drama that touched my soul deeply. It was perfect in all means for me without any flaws.Everything from the cinematography , bgm and the chemistry of the main lead and the sismance, bromance the coordination between them . The spirit of the RA to fight for their nation .... i have alot to say but i will stop as i have to work:D

The only thing that disturbed  me was the SAD ENDING! IT moved the innermost of my soul :bawling:

They all didnt have to die

P.s Sorry for late reply im  a bit busy these days

• Like 7

@studyandkdrama, hi good to see you again..  believe me you're not the only one disturbed & still affected by the ending. Many of us are, here & elsewhere... the drama is truly awesome in every way, it's only eps 22-24 that the hopes became nightmares. :sweatingbullets: Still, it's all a part of painful history that a little sunshine ending may not be as memorable, yet. Anyway.. there're always some nice fanfics to help ease the sad feeling. You can read them here, when you're taking a break from work. It does help quite a bit. :rolleyes:

No worries about the late reply.. the thread will be here.. we'll see you. See you again. ^_^

Our shining ending ~

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

October 31, 2018

Thanks to Chungmuro Crumb for the news highlight from JoyNews24 ~

JoyNews24: 2018 Entertainment Power People

Another survey conducted by Joy News 24 to commemorate its 14th anniversary (I wonder how many surveys they conducted ) about "2018 Entertainment Power People"

This survey included 200 peoples who worked for entertainment and broadcasting companies, producers of film and broadcasting contents, and reporters from entertainment department.

Here following list of "2018 Entertainment Power People" by 200 entertainment industry experts:

1. BTS : 114
2. Bang Si Hyuk & Lee Young Ja: 10
3. PD Na Yeong Seok: 8
4. SM Lee Soo Man: 6
5. Kim Tae Ri, Lee Byung Hun & IU : 4
6. JYP Park Jin Young : 2
7. YG Yang Hyun Suk, Lee Hyo Ri, Ha Jung Woo, Jung Woo Sung, Park Na Rae, Blackpink : 1

Our Sunshine Team stay strong and Tae Ri is keep mentioned in all entertainment survey they conducted

• Like 3

On 10/29/2018 at 9:43 PM, rubie said:

@SeReNiTy LOL .. right smack in the middle.. :lol: that is so true.. thanks for pointing it out. I think it's just perfect that the front row sits so that we can also see everyone at the back. It shows that sitting down can be so cool, indeed. Makes me stop to ponder that there was no photo of Eugene and Kyle along with GwanSoo & Domi. :mellow: What a pity, huh.. they could have taken one before Kyle was transferred to Tokyo and EC supposedly return to America. Like Hina.. who had a group photo with her Glory Hotel staff, perhaps there was no one to take the photo (for EC & Kyle).. Hina's group had HeeSung with the camera gifted by Eugene much later.

@rubie It is indeed sad that there weren't photo opportunities with Kyle, Gwan Soo, DoMi and others, since they are just as dear to Eugene. There were more than enough soldiers at the American legation to help them take pictures, but I guess that wasn't Writer-nim's focus. :( Also, it did puzzle me that there was not a single scene with all 5 leads together. :huh: I wonder if there will be such scenes in the director's cut.

I guess this BTS of all 5 leads for the Netflix poster shoot is one of the best we can get. :heart:

Credits to kim_giwoong

Drawing of YYS/Goo Dong Mae...very impressive!

Credits to jinju_smileart

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SeReNiTy said:

@rubie It is indeed sad that there weren't photo opportunities with Kyle, Gwan Soo, DoMi and others, since they are just as dear to Eugene. There were more than enough soldiers at the American legation to help them take pictures, but I guess that wasn't Writer-nim's focus. :( Also, it did puzzle me that there was not a single scene with all 5 leads together. :huh: I wonder if there will be such scenes in the director's cut.

I guess this BTS of all 5 leads for the Netflix poster shoot is one of the best we can get. :heart:

Hmm.. it's probably awkward for Eugene to be in the same scene together with AeShin and HeeSung especially after the engagement was off. But yeah.. it's always EC & AS or just the boy or just the girls. The Netflix promo photo.. sigh.. if only they showed the photo-taking in the drama, lets say.. just before Eugene return to America (although he actually went to Japan with AeShin). Despite the gloomy situation, everyone was still looking good and relatively happy.

Too many "potentially +ve" scenes were released for promo purposes that obviously made us sway and forget that it was actually doomed right from the beginning. th_sigh.gif

November 1, 2018

Joynews24 Survey: 2018 Best Drama of The Year

Anyway, another great highlight by Chungmuro Crumb from the Joynews24 survey.

Following list of Joy News 24 survey "2018 Best Drama of the Year" by 200 entertainment industry experts:

1. Mr Sunshine : 50
2. 100 Days My Husband & Misty : 24
3. My Ahjussi : 17
4. Live : 13
5. Why Secretary Kim & Son The  Guest : 12
6. Life & PrettyNoonaWhobuysmefood : 8
7. Beauty Inside : 7
8. Mother, Where Stars Land & Life On Mars : 4

"...From the strong characters who lived in that era, fantastic chemistry of the actors, the solid narration and acting, "Mr. Sunshine" was completed as another best life time drama. The highest audience rating was 18.1%."

• Like 2

Two OSTs from Mr Sunshine are nominated for Best OST at this year's MAMA Awards!

Am so happy that Hwang Chi Yeul is nominated as "Best Male Artist" at the same awards in a category filled with great artists, especially Park Hyo Shin :)

• Like 3

On October 31, Lee Byung Hun took a flight to LA. Upon arrival, he posted a photo on his IG and as the caption, wrote another quote from MR.SUNSHINE "10 hours for one and a half hand span" mrs.jpgObviously, Eugene Choi is still going through a withdrawal from the drama.

Spoiler

Source: VisitKorea @KoreanTravel

• Like 3

:lol: Imagine all 5 of them got together.. if this happened and the scene was included in the drama.. Ae Shin would be flaming with jealousy and Hee Sung would be burning with envy.. while Hi Na would watch everyone gleefully.. :P

Fan Art by peanut

MR.SUNSHINE Photo-essay, photos from Emi

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I'll be posting some interview articles from our supporting actors/actresses. I don't think we have main 5 actors/actresses interview yet.. so.. when it happens, i'll post them up here too. Again, all mistakes and typos, and uncertain word choices are all mine.

To start with, this is for the actor Choi Jin-ho who did the role of minister for foreign affair ).

From article http://www.newsen.com/news_view.php?uid=201809131630524110,

‘Mr. Sunshine’ Choi Jin-ho “Lee Byung-hun, Song Yoon-ah, Yeo Jin-goo are actors/actresses that amazed me with their actings”
[Newsen. Article by Kim Ye-eun/Photography by Lee Jae-ha]

He debuted in the drama ‘Splendid Holiday’, acting for more than 20 years. Working as supporting actors in various projects, with a lot of actors/actresses, Choi Jin-ho turned his thumbs up to Yeo Jin-Goo, Song Yoon-Ah and Lee Byung-Hun.'

He was an excellent villain in tvN weekend drama ‘Mr Sunshine’ coveting over main lead Eugene Choi’s mom. He was the reason that made Eugene Choi’s early life hell, and the one who got the worst payback from Eugene who came back to Joseon as American solider. Even though his character exited the show with death, his presence was quite intense.

201809131630524110_1.jpg

201809131630524110_2.jpg

Due to situation of his character, he acted long time with Lee Byung-hun who did the role of Eugene Choi. They also worked together in the movie ‘I saw the devil’. Newsen met him on Sept 13th, Choi Jin-ho mentioned the scene where Eugene Choi threatened Lee Sehoon with the sword, “About the sword scene, there are some who act with their emotion but only by themselves, but with Lee Byung hun I felt that I was being cared. There was a feeling of going up together. It is a great experience when you can feel the synergy and chemistry”

Lee Byung-Hun is one of the three actors/actresses that amazed him during his acting career. The other 2 are Yeo Jin-goo who did SBS drama ‘Daebak’ together, and Song Yoon-ah who did KBS 2TV drama ‘Assembly’.

He explained, ‘Actor Yeo Jin-goo acted really stable considering his age. I thought about my youth and whether I did that well. Song Yoon-ah is a top actress. Acting together, we as actors know. Feeling the chemistry that my feelings were delivered and then given back. Song Yoon-ah is one of those than can give feelings back well.”

He continued talk about ‘Mr Sunshine’. They worked for long time for ‘Mr Sunshine’ that the atmosphere in the site was nice. Choi Jinho explained the reason to Lee Eungbok’s style, who is the director of the drama. ‘Dir. Lee Eungbok doesn’t pressure the site. “And also, “Maybe it’s the trait of current shooting site. We’re suffering together anyways, so want to comfort each other.”

Was there any episode from the shooting site? In the drama Eugene Choi got his revenge on Lee Sehoon after knowing that he coveted his mother that led to death of his parents. He jumped over the sedan chair of Lee Sehoon with his horse. Lee Sehoon tumbled from his chair and fell to the muddy ground. About this scene he said “We dug up to make a small puddle but it was too dirty. I didn’t need to put my face, but I thought to make the scene more humiliating I should put my face in the puddle. Only thing is that after the scene I had to see eye doctor 4 times.”

tvN ‘Mr Sunshine’ will air on Sat/Sun 9 PM every week.

Newsen Kim Yeeun kimm@/LeeJae rush@

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

MR.SUNSHINE get-together ~

Photos: stellachoiminji

Source: VisitKorea @KoreanTravel

If you followed Eugene's footsteps through Mr. Sunshine column, now it's time to follow Ae-sin!
From Seoul all the way down to Gyeongsangnam-do, the film locations are all over Korea!
Who else enjoyed Mr. Sunshine drama?!
For more info https://goo.gl/B78k51

• Like 5

Just found this belated article..

15133525.jpg

October 15, 2018

[FICTION VS. HISTORY] The fact and fiction in ‘Mr. Sunshine’ : Historical sweep is captured but some anachronisms and motivations irk viewers

Source: INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

15133553.jpg

Below are scenes from the blockbuster period drama “Mr. Sunshine,” which is set in Korea in the late 1800s and early 1900s before the Japanese occupation..[SCREEN CAPTURE, TVN]

On both the silver screen and television, the historical drama has never gone out of style. Fans of period dramas, both here and abroad, like to be transported to a different time and learn about the high dramas that swept up - or were put in motion by - our ancestors. Some like to see continuity with the past. Others like to see progress. Foreign Korea-philes may believe they can get a crash course in Korean history from such films. But all historical dramas create characters, add love stories, and conflate or invent events to make sure viewers don’t lose interest. Through “Fiction vs History,” the Korea JoongAng Daily attempts to distinguish fiction from fact in popular period dramas and films for clarification and to dispel any misunderstandings.

In 1875, on the second day after Ko Ae-shin’s birth in Japan, a plot by Korea’s Righteous Army to assassinate the pro-Japanese collaborator Lee Wan-ik fails. Ko’s parents, who were involved in the plot, are killed by Lee. Swaddled in a blanket, baby Ko is sent back to Joseon by her parents’ comrades to her grandfather, who was once King Gojong’s teacher. Ko grows up as a noble lady, but with the patriotic genes of her parents; she trains to become a sniper and eventually becomes a member of the Righteous Army, an irregular guerrilla army that was formed to fight the Japanese. 

15133614.jpg

From top: Beginning in the fifth episode, the producers tell viewers that they are watching a “fiction based on historical events”; Eugene Choi, played by veteran actor Lee Byung-hun; pro-Japan collaborator Lee Wan-ik, played by Kim Eui-seong.[SCREEN CAPTURE, TVN]

In the autumn of 1875, not long after Ko’s return to Korea, the Battle of Ganghwa takes place. It was an example of the gunboat diplomacy used by Japan to enter the Korean peninsula. 

Ko, played by Kim Tae-ri, is a fictional character created by the celebrated writer Kim Eun-sook to help tell this story in “Mr. Sunshine,” which recently wrapped up its 24 episodes with high ratings both on local television and on Netflix. Since this is historical fiction, some of the characters and stories are made up, and some are based on historical fact.

Distinguishing fiction from fact would not be that difficult for Koreans, who have been educated in the history. It’s not as easy for outsiders. 

In the drama, Ko’s parents - members of Korea’s Righteous Army - went to Japan before the outbreak of the Battle of Ganghwa to promote the anti-Japanese movement in Japan. But in fact, Japan’s pillage of Joseon began after the Battle of Ganghwa, stimulating the uprising of such patriotic groups as the Righteous Army in Korea. Experts say systematic action by the Righteous Army started after Japan’s assassination of the Empress Myeongseong, in what is known as the Eulmi Incident in 1895. Moreover, during the time that Ko’s parents were in Japan in the drama, it would have been difficult even for tradesmen, let alone common people like Ko’s parents, to go to Japan; exchanges between the two countries had been cut off. 

Such advancing of the timeline may have helped the producers dramatize the story. But historians argue that it seems like an unnecessary historical tweak that weakens its credibility. 

The drama, which is set in Korea in the late 1800s and early 1900s before the Japanese occupation, is a wartime love story between a Korean-born U.S. Marine named Eugene Choi, played by Lee Byung-hun and Ko. 

Male character Koo Dong-mae, played by Yoo Yeon-seok, was initially described as a low-class butcher boy from Korea who grows up to be a member of the notorious Gen’yosha of Japan, an influential ultranationalist group. He returns to his motherland Joseon by becoming the leader of the group’s branch, the Black Dragon Society in Hanseong, which was the capital city of Joseon. It is a historical fact that Gen’yosha is suspected of launching a task force team in Korea for a future invasion and was involved in the assassination of Empress Myeongseong. 

However, the fact that Koo directed brutalities against Korea angered many Korean viewers. In the drama, he is portrayed as a poor Korean boy who was abandoned by his own country and had no choice but to feel the thirst for revenge. 

“It seems like the drama is saying that there was a reason why the Black Dragon Society was so merciless against Koreans,” wrote one netizen on broadcaster tvN’s website. 

Some people even took the issue to the Blue House, submitting a petition on July 16, arguing that such historical distortion should be regulated. They claimed that the drama is being aired on Netflix, raising the risk that foreigners may misunderstand the history of Korea and the Japanese invasion. In response, the drama’s production team issued an apology stating that they had no intention to “romanticize the pro-Japanese stance,” and that the team had decided to modify the entire character in later episodes. From Episode 5, the Black Dragon Society was given a fictional name and a notification was shown at the start of each episode that said, “This is a work of fiction based on historical events.” 

15133631.jpg

Left: The photograph of the Righteous Army taken in 1907 by journalist Frederick McKenzie. Right: The scene as reenacted in the television drama. [KOREA’S FIGHT FOR FREEDOM, SCREEN CAPTURE]

The drama did end on Sept. 30, however, by shedding light on the real Right-eous Army of Korea. A scene was based on a black and white photograph of the Righteous Army, many nameless people who fought for the country, taken in 1907 by Frederick McKenzie, a writer and war journalist who worked for the London Daily Mail. The photograph is familiar to most Koreans because it is in history textbooks. The episode also stayed true to history, using quotes from McKenzie’s interviews such as, “We know that all of us are bound to die if we continue this fight. But we’d absolutely hate to live as Japanese slaves. We’d much rather die as free men.” Eugene Choi brings the foreign journalist to the Righteous Army, which agrees to the interview and to being photographed in the belief that the world should learn about its righteous struggle. That photograph is, in fact, the only existing photograph of Korea’s freedom fighters.

BY YIM SEUNG-HYE [sharon@joongang.co.kr]

• Like 4

Interview article with Kim Byung-Cheol who did the character IlSik of haedrio brothers, from Korea Economic Newspaper(https://entertain.naver.com/read?oid=015&aid=0004019684)

'Mr. Sunshine' Kim Byung-Cheol "Lee Byung-Hun eyes are great melo story teller... Such a magnificent actor" (Interview)

0004019684_001_20181002152528721.jpg?typ

Actor Kim Byung-Cheol revealed "I want to do a project where I can articulate thru my eyes just like Lee Byung-Hun sunbae".

When we met Kim Byung-Cheol in a cafe in Sungdonggu, Seoul on Oct 2nd, he was talking fascinating stories about Lee Byung-Hun's eyes. 

Since his debut in the 2003 movie 'Once Upon a Time in a Battlefield', Kim Byung-Cheol has been showing memorable performances in various movies, 'R-Point', 'Hwang Ji-Yi', 'GP506', 'Primvate Eye', 'Miss Wife', 'Musudan', 'The Discloser' and dramas like 'Descendants of the Sun', 'Shopping King Louie', 'Goblin', 'Tunnel', 'The Emperor: Owner of the Mask' .

In the recently ended drama 'Mr Sunshine', he performed a character of IlSik, who was the best slave tracker but lost his job suddenly due to abolition of slaves, turned to open pawn shop 'Haedrio' to become the most handy person in Hanseong.

Kim Byung-Cheol said "Eugene Choi(Lee Byung-Hun) didn't look at IlSik like he looked at Aeshin(Kim Tae-Ri) but because we acted along side, I watched his acting closely. There is Lee Byung-Hun sunbae's special style of feelings".

He praised Lee Byung-Hun's acting saying 'In drama, Eugene originally knew IlSik as only slave tracker, but later realized that IlSik saved him and that's important experience for Eugene. When I watched the edit, I was able to read character(Eugene)'s emotional changes from Lee Byung-Hun's eyes. He is a really great actor."

He also added "I too want to do melo-drama that I can use such eye expression".

Kim Byung-Cheol will return in the JTBC drama 'Skycastle' in coming November.

김예랑 한경닷컴 기자 yesrang@hankyung.com
기사제보 및 보도자료 newsinfo@hankyung.com

From Lee Jung-Eun(Haman daek) interview from StarNews(https://entertain.naver.com/read?oid=108&aid=0002733005)

'Mr Sunshine' Lee Jung-Eun "Lee Byung-Hun, he's even better actor on site" (Interview)

0002733005_001_20181008164524269.jpg?typ

Actress Lee Jung-Eun(49) revealed her thoughts on her co-actors Lee Byung-Hun and Ji Sung in different dramas.

During the interview with Lee Jung-Eun in cafe in Gangnam Gu Seoul on 8th, she left lovely comments about Lee Byung-Hun from tvn Sat/Sun drama 'Mr Sunshine' and Ji Sung from Wed/Thur drama 'Familiar Wife'.

Lee Jung-Eun made us laugh when we talked about Lee Byung-Hun who is about same age with LJE, saying that "Actually, I'm 1 year older than him". She also said "Byung-hun ssi actually has soft baby facial hair. I said "Your mom bore a great son." When I told him "You're just so handsome" he just gave a laugh."

0002733005_002_20181008164524323.jpg?typ

Working on Mr. sunshine she said she got a lot of calls from her friends asking for her impression of working with Lee Byung-Hun. “As an actor working together he is even better in site than watching on screen. He really prepared well before the shooting”

Lee Jung-Eun also talked about Ji-Sung who she acted together in 'Familiar wife'. "Ji Sung ssi is great too. I had a fondness for him as an mother-in-law. Maybe due to long experience in working in the field, they both are very kind people. I guess the "All-In" teams are all doing well."

Lee Jung-Eun acted as a nanny/guardian of lady Go Aeshin(Kim Tae-Ri) . Also, in recently ended drama 'Familiar wife', she was the mother of female lead Seo WooJin(Han JiMin), loved by viewers.

한해선 기자 hhs422@mtstarnews.com

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

November 5, 2018

Source: Chungmuro Crumb

Following list of Joy News 24 survey "2018 Best Drama Couple of the Year" by 200 entertainment industry experts:

1 #SonYeJin & #JungHaeIn #PrettyNoonaWhobuysmefood 82 
2 #ParkMinYoung & #ParkSeoJoon #WhySecretaryKim 50
3 #KimTaeRi & #LeeByunghun #MrSunshine 17
4 #SeoHyunjin & #LeeMinKi #Beauty Inside 12
5 #NamJiHyun & #DoKyungsoo #100DaysMyHusband 9
"...If the previous works by Kim Eun Sook put heavy romances of the main male and female characters on the front page, "Mr. Sunshine" put weight on characters living in the end of Joseon age. Nevertheless, Lee Byung Hun and Kim Tae Ri's 'Lobeu' were heartbreaking enough and delivered their feelings to viewers. Although there was no single kiss scene, Lee Byung Hun's desperate confession, and Kim Tae Ri's eyes were more lively."

• Like 3

Kinda funny to see this and feel nostalgia. I like this black horse Eugene rode to Go family house to rescue Aeshin. Look at white spot on his leg. 

From actor Lee SiKang's instagram.

So he had a horse-riding class and rode a horse named Yujini(from Choi Yu-Jin I'm sure) that was in Mr Sunshine as Eugene Choi's horse. Actor Lee is saying that the horse was mild tempered and pretty horse. 

Yeah.. anything from Mr Sunshine to cheer me up, I know... but I do like this horse and glad to see him/her doing so well!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1