Quantcast
Go Seung Ji

[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

46 minutes ago, rubie said:

Ohh.. she did? That's a nice surprise. ^_^ I've just checked, wow.. there're like.. a lot of comments. Using Google translate, MJ commented "I'm scared".. which what I felt too, when I saw the clip. The hand-shadow thing is kinda scary.. and EC, you know.. didn't make it. :blink:

MR.SUNSHINE.. you made our emotions go upside-down.th_twister3.gif

From what i read in twitter his wife says "about to cry" then with a laugh .. 

Indeed Mr. Sunshine is one heck of a roller coaster ride of emotion 

• Like 6

This review was written way before September 30 ..

August 20, 2018

Mr. Sunshine Season 1 Review

By GREGWHEELER The Geek Review

Despite it’s generic cheesy title, Mr Sunshine is a beautifully written 24 episode series balancing historical drama with a realistically depicted romance. Juggling deep characterisation, breathtaking cinematography and an exquisite eye for visual design, Mr Sunshine boasts an amazing technical talent to match its equally impressive storyline. As the episodes progress, so too does the evolving romance that takes centre stage, working harmoniously with the tense feud between the U.S. Embassy and Japanese in the heart of Korea where this tale unfolds.

The story begins in 1871 with an introduction to one of three key characters in the series, Eugene Choi (Byung-Hun Lee). Originally from Joseon before fleeing to America following a family tragedy, Eugene finds himself returning to his home town years later as captain of a US military expedition to liberate the town. While stationed in Joseon, he happens upon the Aristocrat’s daughter Go Ae-Shin (Tae-ri Kim) and what transpires from here is a slowly evolving romance that blossoms between the two.

As the episodes progress, more characters share the limelight including Goo Dong-mae (Yoo Yeon-seok) who quickly becomes a prominent figure in the show and does a great job fleshing his character out throughout the series. Although Mr Sunshine is a character-driven story first and foremost, the world building is excellent and throughout the episodes you really get a feel for the cultural differences and clashes between the Koreans, Japanese and Americans that play a crucial role in the development of the story.

With 24 episodes to boot and each over an hour long, there’s no denying that Mr Sunshine makes for quite the exhaustive watch but based on the 13 episodes we watched to formulate this review, there’s enough here to confidently proclaim the show remains an enthralling watch throughout. The show balances its drama and romance well, peppering each episode with light bites of humour whilst keeping the predominant focus on the growing tensions in the town and the character work which is flawlessly executed.

Spoiler

It’s worth noting too that the acting is solid all round although some of the American soldiers feel a little stifled and slightly uncomfortable in their roles alongside the excellent trio of Korean protagonists. Eugene, Ae-Sin and Goo Dong-Mae really bring the series to life and subtle lingering glances between each of them speak volumes, conveying emotion and mood in a perfect example of when less is sometimes more. This technique is used repeatedly through the episodes and for the most part, it works perfectly.

Aesthetically, Mr Sunshine is a beautiful piece of Asian television. The colour use is nothing short of masterful, the general composition of scenes show off the breathtaking vistas and the hedonistic choice of colours mixed with the generally impressive costume design all work harmoniously together to breathe life into this recreated world from early 1900s Korea.

Whether you’ll take to Mr Sunshine or not really depends on how much time you’re willing to invest into this epic Korean drama. If you like slow-burn romances or historical epics, Mr Sunshine blends these two genres together effortlessly. Although the story does unfold slowly over its 20+ hour run-time and at times the story does linger a little too long on some subplots, there’s enough here to confidently say Mr Sunshine is one of Korea’s brightest series released this year and well worth checking out.

Verdict - 8.5/10

EC Art by mmeflm

• Like 6

6 hours ago, elfvanvan said:

From what i read in twitter his wife says "about to cry" then with a laugh .. 

Indeed Mr. Sunshine is one heck of a roller coaster ride of emotion 

The reason for crying after Eugene Choi all over the world is the second scenario, and first of all excellent acting LBH. His message without words, the emotions that he arouses and which move us, is pure magic!

That's why I called LBH 'Master Sunshine'! 

• Like 8

On 8/5/2018 at 3:18 PM, mistymorning said:

While waiting for episode 10, here is the lyric interpretation for 5th OST, "Good day" from MeloMance, interpretation attempt is done by me. Apologize for the interpretation quality.

Silent breeze brings

you to me

So this is how you land

in my mind quietly

Is it a deep sleep or a dream

All world is you

Even a falling light hurts

would you know

It's a first time, such a good day

good day to hold you in my eyes

Fly in, shinning

Bloom In my mind, in my heart

like flowers

It's not just a tear

that I can't hide nor quit

Such a long, cold and sad story

Hope to embrace you in the end

Holding tight not to fall apart

you with my hands

Fly in, shinning

Bloom In my mind, in my heart

like flowers

Beautiful, brilliant darling stay lovely

keep walking

The road you are on be always bright

Wishing from here

Cry for the first time, with you

Missing you, longing for you

only because of you

only for that

Very nice translation :)

And I translated it into Polish. Are there any Poles here? :)

• Like 5

On LBH's recent instagram, first tag used is, 

#iamhurtnow

same line from Episode 11 when Gwansoo insulted Eugene indirectly. :P so that's why LMJ is saying she's about to cry? her response ends with laughing sound(ㅋ) so I'm sure she's fine. 

and hearing the sound, LBH is further away and talking with somebody else, and KTR is closer and fooling around with shadow. Her laughter is very care-free! :D

Thank you @3po3 for your nice words :)

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

An update to Brad Havens' rave review.  

Mr. Sunshine - a vibrant, romantic Epic from Korea radiates across a Global Stage

https://bradhavens.blogspot.com/2018/10/mr-sunshine-vibrant-romantic-epic-from.html?m=1

His thoughts after viewing the final 2 episodes. 

Spoiler

UPDATE: Okay, so it's a one season series running 24 episodes. I just finished absorbing what I witnessed in these final two episodes, and all I can say is:

Bravo! Wonderful. Amazing. When you consider that this is basically considered a series for Korean Television - albeit an ambitious one - the breadth and scope of the accomplishment is as impressive as Peter Jackson's original Lord of the Rings productions. Seriously. I stand by the "Asian-style Game of Thrones" comparison as well - action, intrigue, tragedy, romance, it's all there. Well, the nudity & graphic violence is out, but for what this story is, it really doesn't need all of that anyway.

Mr. Sunshine can only further cement Korea's place in the Asian Film Market as producers of top quality entertainment. Hollywood seems seduced by Chinese Investors these days - which is not a bad thing, either - but as Netflix continues to blur the lines between Cable and Feature Film Production, Korean-based Producers and Performers are proving it's time they get the International recognition they deserve.

@cynkdf credit to you for sharing his initial post.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, mistymorning said:

Which of the LBH profiles on Instagram is true?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mistymorning said:

On LBH's recent instagram, first tag used is, 

#iamhurtnow

same line from Episode 11 when Gwansoo insulted Eugene indirectly. :P so that's why LMJ is saying she's about to cry? her response ends with laughing sound(ㅋ) so I'm sure she's fine. 

and hearing the sound, LBH is further away and talking with somebody else, and KTR is closer and fooling around with shadow. Her laughter is very care-free! :D

Thank you @3po3 for your nice words :)

Thanks so much @mistymorning for the clarification. th_tq.gif It's kinda hard for non-Koreans to catch the taglines from MR.SUNSHINE but it's cool to know that he was highlighting the phrases from the drama. :D Also.. I'm always confused with the laughing sound (can't even type it) that's always used by Knetz, don't want to refer to the symbols wrongly. :sweatingbullets: MJ must have followed the drama from the beginning, too. Nice. :wub:

@3po3 The IG link highlighted by mistymorning, that is LBH's verified IG. For years we hoped that he would start connecting with the fans (he's been doing so with Korean & Japanese fans via FC and Chinese fans via weibo).. finally, he's on IG that international fans could also relate to. Finally, MR. SUNSHINE did it for him! :lol:

YYS had a fan-meeting (10/9 in Seoul) and his special guest was none other than Ms. Kim Min Jung. :D Both LBH and KTR sent video-messages instead.

Credit to fans sharing on twitter ~

• Like 8

@rubie, also KES was there too. I didn't listen to all of them but i heard from another fan that,

1. when EC and DM had a drink and DM let EC know about meeting between Allen and LWI, EC said he'll buy some and DM ad-libbed 'big plate'(大盛り) and LBH responded his ad-lib with turning it with small plate, saying the place served big portion.

2. when three(fool-moron-loser) had a drink and loser jumped without paying (again!), all after that were ad-libs between fool and moron. :D

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, mistymorning said:

@rubie, also KES was there too. I didn't listen to all of them but i heard from another fan that,

1. when EC and DM had a drink and DM let EC know about meeting between Allen and LWI, EC said he'll buy some and DM ad-libbed 'big plate'(大盛り) and LBH responded his ad-lib with turning it with small plate, saying the place served big portion.

2. when three(fool-moron-loser) had a drink and loser jumped without paying (again!), all after that were ad-libs between fool and moron. :D

Hahahaha, yea, GDM said the same in one of his interview. Amazing actors. 

THanks for the info as usual @mistymorning. 

• Like 6

October 7, 2018

Cast take home coins, sword to remember ‘Mr. Sunshine’

By: Ruth L. Navarra Philippine Daily Inquirer 

t1007super-sunshine-1.jpg

Kim Tae-ri is Go Ae-sin —Photos Courtesy of Netflix

All Kim Tae-ri wanted after a year of shooting “Mr. Sunshine” was to gather everyone who was part of the series for a group photo, the actress revealed in an exclusive e-mail interview with Super K!  She played the lead role of Ae-sin on the Netflix Original series.

“We spent close to a year shooting the show. So we went through all four seasons. Focusing on something for a very long time can be emotionally and physically tiring. But the upside was that I got to visit so many beautiful places in Korea. An-dong, in particular, was so beautiful. We were shooting through winter and spring there and it was beautiful to see the changes in seasons in water freezing and then thawing,” said Tae-ri.

The drama was written by Kim Eun-sook and directed by Lee Eung-bok. This was the third collaboration between the two after the hits “Descendants of the Sun” and “Guardian: The Lonely and Great God,” also known as “Goblin.”

“Mr. Sunshine” set a record with 18-percent viewership on its final episode. Its consistent 13.059-percent average in viewership made it the most watched cable drama of all time, beating “Goblin’s” average record of 12.924 percent.

The actress only has praises for the writer Eun-sook who, with this drama, established herself as a bankable star writer. Tae-ri said that the writer paced the drama slower than her previous works, but she did a thorough research on historical facts.

Tae-ri looked back on her character and revealed that she found it tougher to play a woman in love than someone who had to hold a gun.

“I wasn’t quite in sync with the character in terms of how fast the feelings developed. I was often confused because I felt that the romantic feelings were developing too fast. But it all made a lot more sense after I watched the episodes. I feel like I could have been bolder and more expressive in portraying the feelings,” she said.

t1007super-sunshine-3.jpg

Souvenir

She added that she hopes viewers would walk away from the show feeling that they could relate to the joys and sorrows of the characters. She revealed what she took home from the show as a souvenir.

“I brought the coins that Ae-sin gave to Dong-mae from our last shoot. That was the last scene I shot. I kept two and gave one to Yoo Yeon-seok (Dong-mae),” she said.

Yoon-seok, on the other hand, brought home Dong-mae’s hair band and sword.

“I figured that the fans would like the hair band. I want to give it away during a future fan meet. I asked the costume team for the hair band. And I brought the sword back because I feel quite attached to it now,” said Yoon-seok.

The actor had to learn wielding the katana to play the role of the mercenary Dong-mae. He said he might be able to use this knowledge again in a future role. He said that he first studied how to use a sword for his previous drama “Gu Family Book.”

The lead of the show, Lee Byung-hun (Eugene Choi), said that he hopes that the show will be remembered for the Righteous Army, whose nameless members made so much sacrifice.

“Mr. Sunshine” is available for streaming on Netflix.

• Like 8

The guideline and links for the purchase of Director Cut DVD / Bluray

http://cafe.daum.net/MrSunshineBD/kubv/4

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Source: HighCut

hc_mrsun1.gif

Spoiler

Eugene is on a roll posting pics & clips on his IG..

this time with the FML fanboys.. th_laughing.gif

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, writteninthestars09 said:

@kansas424

Were u able to pre order? 

I was curious about the page but I cant seem to open it. 

Yea, i was able to.

Try this. Remember to click coupon for discount.  You need to apply for yes24 account first.

https://global.yes24.com/Goods/64993604  DVD

https://global.yes24.com/Goods/64993270   Bluray

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

YYS took the sword as a souvenir.

Nothing strange.

In the drama it looks like him and the sword are one.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, rocher22 said:

YYS took the sword as a souvenir.

Nothing strange.

In the drama it looks like him and the sword are one.

I really liked his sword sleeve with the sakura flowers. Its so pretty~

• Like 5