Quantcast
Go Seung Ji

[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

No words to say th_sad005.gif

Spoiler

.. downright depressing..

Spoiler

I can only hope LBH and KTR will act again in a movie rom-com. After all, they're both movie actors. MR.SUNSHINE is a great drama up till episode 21. The ending is probably necessary for KES but it's a torture to endure and a trauma to remember.

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

Spoiler

OMG, I really hated the ending where everyone dies except for Ae Shin. Why must Eugene die? If there is one person that I wanted to live, it is Eugene or Hui Seong and not Ae Shin.  I am so sad and heart broken. So depressing without any ray of hope or sunshine of how people can live a full life in that depressing and turbulent period? How to mend my broken heart now? :bawling: 

@rubie Just saw your wish. Yes, please I need another project for Lee Byung Hun and Kim Tae Ri where they will end up together to heal my broken heart. 

I had enjoyed camping in the forum throughout the 3 months of the airing of Mr Sunshine with fellow Soompi friends. 

I would like to thank everyone on this forum for the active and lively sharing and discussions that we had. Special mention to @rubie for the many updates, articles and photos shared and @mistymorning  for the many updates, articles and translations shared.

• Like 3

As this amazing drama comes to end i just wanna thank you guys , for the news update, ig pictures and etc.. And what an ending it is.:tears::bawling: ..See you.. See you again, 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, elfvanvan said:

As this amazing drama comes to end i just wanna thank you guys , for the news update, ig pictures and etc.. And what an ending it is.:tears::bawling: ..See you.. See you again, 

Nice meeting you here too. You know, now those words, see you and see you again.....will never be the same to me again. It will always remind me of Eushin and Mr Sunshine. Ugh! :bawling:

@rubie I feel the same...I also wish for the same...another project for them otherwise will forever remember this.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

@charray, @elfvanvan .. It may not mean anything but we need something to lift our spirits up after such a tragedy, right. KTR did very well in her debut drama but she is more a movie actress. Besides, it will be hard to top MR.SUNSHINE and her Lady Ae Shin character, especially. For LBH, this will probably be his last drama.. later, we don't know. He took the role because of KES and now it's even for both of them. Who knows.. maybe there will be another project of them together after all the 'limitations' in the drama.

Spoiler

LBH had a good chemistry with co-star, CJW (in the drama Beautiful Days), so much so that they went on to act together again in a movie after that.

My gratitude to everyone sharing at the thread, it's been an unforgettable three months of anticipating the episodes every Saturdays & Sundays and discussing our heart's content about the characters and their journey in the drama.

Despite everything from the beginning it was announced to the ending of episode 24, MR.SUNSHINE is undoubtedly ONE OF A KIND. Raising the bar higher in Korean drama production and performance.. everything is top-notch in this delightful & memorable adventure to a traumatic destination.

See you.. see you again.. in a non-depressing, non-torturous, non-traumatic project. Please.

• Like 13

Heartbroken. Crying buckets ... even if I knew more will die.

I was hoping for at least the 2 leads to fight side-by-side -- towards a brighter future for Chosun.

Consoling myself with the fact that finally a great show that I enjoyed after a couple of years and will reminisce the good times with the past episodes. 

KES fooled me again -- SHEET!

• Like 9

I'm not the only one who is crying isn't it ? :bawling:  DAEBAK! and again.. it's one of the best kdrama I've watched eventhough almost all the casts died in the end expect AeShin. But this drama has the best in my favourite. Everything. From the strong story. the superb acting from all the cast. the Cinematography it's incredible beautifully. the OST too woahhh I LOVE ALL THE OST in this drama. they deliver the feeling with a best way. eventhough it's just talk, gaze, or hug even they shoot each other. woahh It's incredible best in every scene. thankyou all the cast..all crew..writer~nim..pd~nim... for your hardwork for make this drama so great. :heart: my favourite kim eun sook's drama after GOBLIN. :thumbsup: SEE YOU AGAIN. :tears:

• Like 9

Well, I have just read the live recap and watched the final part.... the death of Eugene was not necessary.  He was the reluctant hero of this story,  he had an hard life and not even a kiss in exchange of his love’s sacrifice. All the deaths of the characters were unfair, but the one of Eugene is the most tragic.  I will never watch again a drama by this writer... she seemed to just try to close the story in some way... I am left with the sensation she went for the mistreatement of her characters in order to shock the audience. It does not work with me, miss writer. I will always cherish the wonderful characters, full of humanity, but I will never come to terms with the ending the writer chosed for them.

• Like 7
  • Sad 6

WHOA. They do read the tweets..

Well, it's only 'proper' so that it will be impossible for a Season 2. th_aigoo1.gif

September 30, 2018

'Mr. Sunshine' Will Not Return For Season 2, But The Korean Melodrama Will Deliver A Proper Finale

By TAI GOODEN Bustle

8f9463e2-303d-4687-adb0-8c79699165d1-mr_sunshine_unit_still_01.jpg?w=970&h=582&fit=crop&crop=faces&auto=format&q=70

Jisun Park/Netflix

Period dramas and romance go together like Queen Bey and Jay-Z. Who can resist fantastic costumes, a historical setting, and a sweet flirtation between an unlikely pair? No one, obviously. So, it’s no surprise that Netflix was able to roll out Mr. Sunshine, a series about Eugene Cho (Lee Byung-hun), a Korean-born United States Marine Corps soldier who returns to his native land in the late 19th century and falls in love with a beautiful woman named Go Ae-shin (Kim Tae-ri). The final episodes of Season 1 will drop on Sept. 29 and 30, but Mr. Sunshine will not return for Season 2 because the entire series was only ever supposed to be this long, according to Deadline.

The report confirms that Netflix acquired the rights to start streaming the Korean drama worldwide from production company Hwa&Dam Pictures and Studio Dragon. Netflix has been positioning itself to dominate the global streaming scene through beefing up their international show offerings recently with foreign-language series like The Rain, Dark, Undercover Law, and Deadwind. Mr. Sunshine was created by Kim Eun-sook and directed by Lee Eung-bok, who are both known for their international hit Descendants of the Sun and is currently airing in South Korea.

Mr. Sunshine debuts two episodes a week, so Netflix is deviating from its usual "binge" style format to make sure the releases run in tandem with the regular broadcast. This allows fans around the world to get new material at the same time and avoid those pesky spoilers.

f09b7501-3f41-495e-9cc0-d5cf73987489-mr_sunshine_unit_still_e03_06.jpg?w=646&fit=max&auto=format&q=70

Moon Hee/Netflix

And, it's a perfect time-frame for a summer mini-series because it will wrap up the story near the beginning of the fall TV rush on cable network as well as streaming services. So, if you want something to fill in that mini-gap in your TV schedule and make you get in your deepest feelings, then you should totally be watching this show.

Mr. Sunshine actually didn't drop new episodes on the week of Sept. 16 because of the Chuseok (Harvest Mood Festival) holiday, per Rove.me. That means fans of the love laden series are beyond read for these remaining episodes following the holiday break. A glance at the show's Twitter hashtag reveals fans' bittersweet emotions about the drama thus far and the inevitable end of this saga. There was a massive explosion and cliffhanger at the end of Episode 22, so there could possibly be some major deaths to reconcile. Viewers tweeted about their their hopes, dreams, fears, and theories for how it will all end in the series finale.

Mr. Sunshine may be ending soon, but it's visually stunning and melodramatic episodes are immortalized (sort of) on Netflix for future trips down memory lane. And, at least the show is able to have a definitive ending instead of leaving fans high and dry after a sudden cancellation. That's the beauty of a mini-series. Hopefully, this love story will deliver a finale that conjures up more heart-eyed emojis than crying faces.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

Good Bye Mr. Sunshine.  It was a joy to go on the picnic with you.  Thank You. :heart:

Screenshot 2018-09-30 09.43.09Screenshot 2018-09-30 09.42.50Screenshot 2018-09-30 09.41.08

Spoiler
Screenshot 2018-09-30 09.40.58Screenshot 2018-09-30 09.40.49Screenshot 2018-09-30 09.40.09Screenshot 2018-09-30 09.39.50Screenshot 2018-09-30 09.40.00Screenshot 2018-09-30 09.40.19Screenshot 2018-09-30 09.40.29Screenshot 2018-09-30 09.40.40Screenshot 2018-09-30 09.41.19Screenshot 2018-09-30 09.41.28Screenshot 2018-09-30 09.41.36Screenshot 2018-09-30 09.41.57Screenshot 2018-09-30 09.42.08Screenshot 2018-09-30 09.42.08Screenshot 2018-09-30 09.42.30Screenshot 2018-09-30 09.42.30Screenshot 2018-09-30 09.36.52Screenshot 2018-09-30 09.37.08Screenshot 2018-09-30 09.37.25Screenshot 2018-09-30 09.37.25Screenshot 2018-09-30 09.37.52Screenshot 2018-09-30 09.38.05Screenshot 2018-09-30 09.38.16Screenshot 2018-09-30 09.38.58Screenshot 2018-09-30 09.39.09Screenshot 2018-09-30 09.39.21Screenshot 2018-09-30 09.39.31Screenshot 2018-09-30 09.39.41Screenshot 2018-09-30 09.42.59

credit: Netflix

• Like 11

2 hours ago, misspiggie said:

I was hoping for at least the 2 leads to fight side-by-side -- towards a brighter future for Chosun.

me too...still crying for EC...so heartbreaking

3 hours ago, rubie said:

MR.SUNSHINE is a great drama up till episode 21.

i agree with you...

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

Thank you for compiling the 'finale' group photos, @bedifferent.. it's truly the end now, huh.

More behind-the-scene photos, from TEYU

Grasping the reality now.. feeling drained and denial mode kicking in.. :tears:
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, marfisa said:

Well, I have just read the live recap and watched the final part.... the death of Eugene was not necessary.  He was the reluctant hero of this story,  he had an hard life and not even a kiss in exchange of his love’s sacrifice. All the deaths of the characters were unfair, but the one of Eugene is the most tragic.  I will never watch again a drama by this writer... she seemed to just try to close the story in some way... I am left with the sensation she went for the mistreatement of her characters in order to shock the audience. It does not work with me, miss writer. I will always cherish the wonderful characters, full of humanity, but I will never come to terms with the ending the writer chosed for them.

I couldn’t agree more chingu. Besides the ending I cannot accept, I’m also salty there was no kiss scene. 

• Like 8

@rubie I will be back with final thoughts and more photos. Letting it sink in.

Thank you to you and many posters here for making the experience full.  Truth be told, I am not a KES fan (the only work of her I have watched is Secret Garden) but truly this is a wonderful drama in many ways. It is one of 2018’s best and will be remembered for a long time.  I wish them all the accolades and awards now and in future.  Was my second time watching KTR and LBH (besides Forest and Inside Men).  Eugene was the soul of this drama, given that everyone has repeatedly said AeShin is Joseon’s spirit.  A well written and acted character so I am glad LBH gave him life.

• Like 10

I had anticipated this.. went thru same ending tht left me shocked and disappointed...  a chinese drama "seige in fog".. died just few minutes before drama ended!!

Real lousy feeling then.

Therefore tonite was more prepared for this sort of ending... 

Aeshin an Qin Sang have almost similar personality and both finally were left alone as the men around her ALL DIED! 

• Like 5

OMG OMG OMG... I don’t even know where to begin... I am speechless... this is downright outrageous... Is this a korean drama or freaking walking dead?? People just started dropping like flies in this week’s episodes.... I don’t know now... I feel like I have just wasted 24+ hours of my life... So pissed with the ending that I am just at a loss for words............  :rage: It’s time to switch to watching romcoms for consolation....

• Like 4
  • Sad 4

hqdefault.jpgMr.-Sunshine-Kdrama-Live-Recap-24-Final.hqdefault.jpg

There are those in the past, present and future who did or will answer that voice within them.  Stand up to their enemies no matter the odds, fight for their beliefs and resist change to their traditions and way of life.  For they understand that freedom never comes free there are always those whom pay the ultimate price.  In paving the road to protect what and whom they love to hopefully a better future by risking all they have including themselves...

One man stood tall touched, taught and inspired a boy about having courage to never be afraid to fight for whats right.  

Whom held his words and voice within his heart and never forgot that person or what he was taught...

When it comes to wars and conflicts there are no happy endings whether you win or lose...

:heart:

• Like 12
  • Sad 2

LBH, I always know you're a great actor, but you again and again proves it. Sometimes it's too much that I need to remind myself you're fine in real life. Please don't choose tragic ending in your future project after the next one. 

And my beautiful Eugene Choi, hope you reincarnate in another life and have a normal life with Go Aeshin, your love of life. 

Crying whole lot at the moment, but I would like thank all of you, to watch this drama til the end together. And now that my emotions are sort of leveled out, I thank KES and production staff, actors and actresses for this drama. Any other ending would have been a cop-out. ( except I have issues with music director or director with BGM choice at the last scene ).

Hope to meet you all again in happier project!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

This was a drama-of-a-lifetime.  I was glad to be part of this thread.

[SPOILERS!!!][Mr. Sunshine Roundup] Episode 24 (finale)

https://ddoboja.blogspot.com/2018/09/spoilersmr-sunshine-roundup-episode-24.html

0002731035_001_20181001012751718.jpg

Nationwide ratings for episode 24 (finale): Currently unavailable as of 12:07PM PST, I'll update it once Nielsen is publishes them.

1. [+11650, -27] Thank you to the ancestors who sacrificed their lives for the country... And thank you to the actors for their enthusiastic performance.. 

2. [+5585, -32] I was happy because I was able to watch the drama 'Mr. Sunshine' and because I was able to feel it. I sincerely thank all the people involved 

3. [+5361, -46] A country where because they looked down on skills, looked down on the army, the ordinary people stepped in, grabbed guns and taught them, and volunteered in the front lines and died.... It's not so different from now.... I hope they pull out the chinilpas at least now so that they can release our ancestors' sorrow.... ㅜㅜ

4. [+3556, -30] It was sad and tragic.

5. [+2465, -109] Aren't they hanging the flag up backwards because the country was robbed? The day we take it (the country) back, the country will stand straight and the flag will stand straight.. Do you think they did that without knowing? In this type of masterpiece..

6. [+1591, -4] The thing I liked the best about this drama was the part where not only did they make a detailed reference to the Five Eulsa Traitors but also the Seven Jeongmi Traitors. I think that many people probably don't exactly know the Five Eulsa Traitors and probably don't know the Seven Jeongmi Traitors even more. Instead, I think it's important to take shameful history and teach us not to repeat that. 

7. [+1572, -8] This was the best drama of my life.. It was more vivid, beautiful, and heart-aching than any historical movie. While watching the drama, it was my first time thinking about the country. The actors' acting.. And the cinematography plus the directing and the subject matter.. It's a work of art that won't exist again!! Bravo!!

8. [+1486, -9] Until the ending, the drama was to the point where it was the best drama of the year but after the ending, it looks like it's a life drama. The lingering is no joke. During the scene where the train was separating, Kim Tae Ri's sobbing and Lee Byung Hun's acting is really engraved into my mind. And Goo Dong Mae and Kim Hee Sung's last moment was really like that life. Goo Dong Mae was a sad life but because he lived a life where people trampled over anyone and killed them it was sad but it ended pitifully. Kim Hee Sung lived a life where he was confined by his ancestor's wrongdoing so he lived while trying to atone for the wrongdoings but in the end, unlike his ancestors, he died beautifully like his life with nothing in return ㅠㅠ 

9. [+1348, -6] The captions at the end, "See you again in our country that becomes independent", thank you for letting us watch a drama like this... 

10. [+1333, -7] There weren't any kiss scenes but the love story was stronger than any other drama... 

0003612840_001_20180930230019477.jpg?typ

1. [+798, -3] It was a masterpiece... 

2. [+430, -2] I would like to thank the members of the Righteous Army and independence fighters who let Korea exist until now, we can't let this drama end as a drama but need to make sure to receive a formal apology from Japan 

3. [+407, -2] Only Ae Shin survived but Yoo Jin, Dong Mae, Yang Hwa, and Hee Sung are all precious and are all alive in my heart. Starting from Righteous Army leader Hwang Eun San to Gunner Jang, Haman-daek, Haengrang, and all the Righteous Army members whose name we don't know, thank you. Those people are the history itself.. Goodbye.. See you again.. 

4. [+300, -4] This is the all-time best drama of my forty year life, it deserves to be called a drama

5. [+237, -1] I think it'll be hard for me to re-watch the last episode. Because my heart hurts..

6. [+56, -1] It's the best drama of all time, no it's passes a drama and it's a movie. It's a really deep drama that made me realize that Japan was a country like that and thanks to the members of the Righteous Army, we're able to live in a country that regained its independence, thank you 
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 4

5 hours ago, misspiggie said:

Heartbroken. Crying buckets ... even if I knew more will die.

Consoling myself with the fact that finally a great show that I enjoyed after a couple of years and will reminisce the good times with the past episodes. 

KES fooled me again -- SHEET!

@misspiggie your last comment :D I had to lol even though I was still traumatized by the ending. I am more convinced that I should never finish another KES drama. I never did actually until Mr. Sunshine. I know it would be a sad ending but not this tragic epic death of a favorite character.  Is it too much to ask for the two of them stay together fighting for the cause and groom the future resistance babies like Ae Sin's parents did? 

A few questions, hope you can enlighten me (sorry my mind went blank many times in this episode):

1- What was the scene of them eating fish and casually chatting in the end? I didn't get what it was for, like a whiplash to me. And I am just too traumatized to go back and rewatch it...

2- Why did DM die? I get that he was killed by the ronins but what was that for? He could have died when his master slashed him in Japan.  So KES revived him so that he can have the last words with the two ladies in his life, that's it? I don't get his death that's what I am trying to say. 

• Like 10